Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Watch out for snakes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Mondo, the company that put out the Last of Us vinyl a little while back, is now doing Castlevania (and Silent Hill) posters and will be releasing vinyl soundtracks for CV1/2/3/4/Symphony starting from July: http://mashable.com/2016/04/05/mondo-castlevania-silent-hill/#VkRshwkiAOqT

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on the 360 is backwards compatible with the one. About time.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Slain devs posted an update, tl;dr: they plan to put out a bugfix/feature patch in ~1 month and a "makes the game fun" patch a couple months after that.

quote:

Hi peeps. Sorry for radio silence! We have been interviewing for a programmer and did not want to start talking solid plans before we had found our programmer and he could confirm exactly what is achievable in given time frames.

Obviously there were some major troubles towards the end of development, and given the amount of slippages there had already been , we (wrongly) decided the right idea would be to ship and patch fast based on feedback, but then we lost our programmer...in hindsight Early Access would've been the way to go. Again, we spoke about this internally but (wrongly) decided against it.

We are a new team and have learnt an awful lot throughout this process, and its really sad that our learnings came at the price of your confidence in our ability and our image. But after 10-12 weeks Slain! will be the product we all hoped it would be first time round.

Below is an outline of the first patch...we are aiming to deliver this within 5 weeks. Depending on how smoothly this goes...we will then outline Patch 2 and take some thoughts/suggestions from you! Patch 2 focused on playability rather than functionality and should be delivered within 6-8 weeks from delivery of patch 1.

Patch 1

Fix keyboard input lag.

A controls diagram for joypad and keyboard in the options menu (changes depending on the currently connected joypad).

2 key layouts to choose from for the keyboard and each joypad. Joypad users will be able to choose whether to use the control stick or d-pad.

A more detailed control tutorial plus less vague combat hints.

Saving player progress at checkpoints, plus fixing any other bugs related to saving.

Menu option to quit back to HUB on levels that have been passed (appears after completing Bloodgrounds).

Saving symbol when game is saving.

Fix checkpoint bug and any other bugs that turn up.

New level transition art.

New font.

Improved tutorial.

Improve dialogue / script.

Fix SFX volume.

Cross fading from one scene to the next.

New SFX

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Im willing to give them a chance

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

They also decided to talk to someone to get a rough idea of the work involved instead of just talking out of their rear end.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Mondo, the company that put out the Last of Us vinyl a little while back, is now doing Castlevania (and Silent Hill) posters and will be releasing vinyl soundtracks for CV1/2/3/4/Symphony starting from July: http://mashable.com/2016/04/05/mondo-castlevania-silent-hill/#VkRshwkiAOqT

Only available at comic con though, it seems. :smith:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This game is several years old and is probably old news to a lot of you but if you like old-school CV and can tolerate slightly goofy graphics/sound then check out Soul of Dracula, a free Japanese Castlevania game with solid level design and a lot of neat gimmicks and bosses: http://www.vector.co.jp/soft/winnt/game/se482503.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPnrkbak6v8

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

This game is several years old and is probably old news to a lot of you but if you like old-school CV and can tolerate slightly goofy graphics/sound then check out Soul of Dracula, a free Japanese Castlevania game with solid level design and a lot of neat gimmicks and bosses: http://www.vector.co.jp/soft/winnt/game/se482503.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPnrkbak6v8

That's pretty neat. I never heard of that before.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Soul of Dracula is fantastic. I strongly recommend playing it blind.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Soul of Dracula starts out a bit slow. The first stage is really sparse, but there's a lot of great things that go on with the stages and backgrounds as you get further and further. I thought in particular the guillotines and the part with Death where he cuts the chains are really neat and well done.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but this week's Retronauts is all about Rondo of Blood (though they keep calling it Dracula X) and Symphony of the Night

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but this week's Retronauts is all about Rondo of Blood (though they keep calling it Dracula X) and Symphony of the Night

Well they're technically not wrong as the actual title of the game is Akumajo Dracula X: Rondo of Blood and there's no "Castlevania" in the title because for the longest time it had no western release. However people usually call it Rondo of Blood so they don't get it confused with Castlevania: Dracula X for the SNES (a.k.a. Akumajo Dracula XX or Castlevania: Vampire's Kiss) which is basically like a bastardized version of the game. Dracula X for the PC Engine is a classic and one of the best Castlevanias and Dracula X for the SNES is just mediocre and disappointing.

Likewise, SOTN's Japanese name is Akumajo Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight if you want to add to the confusion. And the PSP version of Rondo is Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

In summary, Dracula X is the sub-series of games in the Castlevania series which includes Rondo of Blood, its direct sequel Symphony of the Night, and its remake Dracula X Chronicles.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

It's generally pretty good but there's one obvious error I want to point out: they cite Symphony as the first game to incorporate elements of the Bram Stoker Dracula novel but that's not true - Bloodlines is directly tied to the novel, right up to John Morris being the son of Quincey Morris, one of the guys who kills Dracula at the end of the book.

Symphony was originally conceived as a direct sequel to Bloodlines for 32X called The Bloodletting and even though that iteration was scrapped very quickly, Igarashi was still planning to tie in more direct connections to Bloodlines for much of Symphony's development but cut a lot of it out for the sake of pacing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

andipossess posted:

In summary, Dracula X is the sub-series of games in the Castlevania series which includes Rondo of Blood, its direct sequel Symphony of the Night, and its remake Dracula X Chronicles.

You're forgetting Dracula XX on the Super Nintendo.

:goonsay:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's generally pretty good but there's one obvious error I want to point out: they cite Symphony as the first game to incorporate elements of the Bram Stoker Dracula novel but that's not true - Bloodlines is directly tied to the novel, right up to John Morris being the son of Quincey Morris, one of the guys who kills Dracula at the end of the book.

Symphony was originally conceived as a direct sequel to Bloodlines for 32X called The Bloodletting and even though that iteration was scrapped very quickly, Igarashi was still planning to tie in more direct connections to Bloodlines for much of Symphony's development but cut a lot of it out for the sake of pacing.

That explains why PoR goes so hard-in on it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

PoR in general feels like a Greatest Hits compilation at times. It's a direct sequel to Bloodlines, of course, but you also have items referencing other games in the series (the Stellar Sword, some of the dual crushes), Richter and Old Axe Armor mode, classic Lugosi-like Dracula, and the bosses from the revisited paintings corresponding to the first four bosses from the original Castlevania.

Not to mention all the reused monster sprites, although those are probably more of a budget limitation than anything else.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Resused sprites!? In a Castlevania game!?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
richiter mode, thanks

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I remember when people thought old axe armor was a joke because of how it's unlocked

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

PoR in general feels like a Greatest Hits compilation at times. It's a direct sequel to Bloodlines, of course, but you also have items referencing other games in the series (the Stellar Sword, some of the dual crushes), Richter and Old Axe Armor mode, classic Lugosi-like Dracula, and the bosses from the revisited paintings corresponding to the first four bosses from the original Castlevania.

Not to mention all the reused monster sprites, although those are probably more of a budget limitation than anything else.

My wife and I have been playing through Portrait of Ruin for the... I dunno, 3rd or 4th time, and the only thing I have to complain about is the anime portraits.

I think it's a great game and I don't mind the re-used locales. The bosses are challenging without being unfair and I think the characters pair well.

For some reason it's the only Castlevania game she's into. She's otherwise not much of a gamer so I'm always trying to figure out what makes this one specifically so great to her considering the other metroidvanias are pretty similar.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

My wife and I have been playing through Portrait of Ruin for the... I dunno, 3rd or 4th time, and the only thing I have to complain about is the anime portraits.

I think it's a great game and I don't mind the re-used locales. The bosses are challenging without being unfair and I think the characters pair well.

For some reason it's the only Castlevania game she's into. She's otherwise not much of a gamer so I'm always trying to figure out what makes this one specifically so great to her considering the other metroidvanias are pretty similar.

Clearly it's the anime. I'm sorry to say, but your wife is a closet-otaku. My deepest condolences.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

voltcatfish posted:

I remember when people thought old axe armor was a joke because of how it's unlocked
It being real doesn't stop it from being a joke, it's just a different kind of joke.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

You're forgetting Dracula XX on the Super Nintendo.

:goonsay:

That one should be forgotten.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Potsticker posted:

Resused sprites!? In a Castlevania game!?

The artist who worked on Rondo of Blood must be so proud of his/her work.

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

I like all the DS Castlevanias, but PoR has a goofy sense of fun to it that elevates it above the others for me. It permeates every aspect of the design, from the story (teenagers take on crazy vampire painter while being aided by a ghost and a greedy priest), the items (paper airplane and throwing pie are legitimate subweapons), the colourful levels, the enemies (a nurse with a giant syringe, a casanova who refuses to attack Charlotte), to even small details like the various food items, the skeleton bartender, or the unique dialogue during boss fights. That's probably why I never minded the anime aesthetic. It's a silly game at heart, and the artwork looks appropriately silly as well.

So I don't know, maybe she's just a big fan of this aspect of the game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I liked that the whips were fun to use, there were a good amount to upgrade to through the game, and they did their own special damage type which seemed to exist to make them better than their stats implied. Never equipping Jonathan with anything but a whip for a weapon actually worked pretty well, at least once you got the first one you didn't start with.

A lot of the subweapons were really fun to use, too.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

The artist who worked on Rondo of Blood must be so proud of his/her work.

It was good work. You never hear people say anything bad about it other than it got reused.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

That one should be forgotten.

As bad as the gameplay was, the game looked great on the snes and the musical arrangements are great (some arguably better than their original PC-Engine version).

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Samuel Clemens posted:

I like all the DS Castlevanias, but PoR has a goofy sense of fun to it that elevates it above the others for me.

I remember when it first came out it caught a fair amount of poo poo even around here for the paintings making it feel disjointed and a little repetitive, but I think it's aged the best of the 3 DS ones.

I think most people consider Order of Ecclesia the best but I was never able to get into it for some reason, which is weird because I've played all the other SotN-style games through a ton of times.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PoR is the only DS Castlevania I can't replay. I get about midway through and just get bored stiff. It has some strong moments but just not enough of them to carry it the way the other games do.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Dawn of Sorrow's magic seal drawing sucks and I dislike spending rare souls to power up my weapons so it's the worst for me

The castle's even a bit lighter on gear lying out because of the soul upgrade system

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Portrait has the best music of any handheld CV game, at least.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

RichterIX posted:

I think most people consider Order of Ecclesia the best but I was never able to get into it for some reason, which is weird because I've played all the other SotN-style games through a ton of times.

In my experience, OoE was always the most divisive DS title. Which I suppose makes sense, given how strongly it deviates from the SotN formula in certain respects. The level design is considerably more linear, and your abilities are limited, but that in turn made it easier for the developers to balance various encounters and boss fights. It feels much closer to the platforming Castlevania titles of old than either DoS or PoR, though whether that's a good or bad thing is very much up to personal taste.

I will say, I adore the game's B movie horror aesthetic, right down to having Shanoa shout cheesy one-liners with a completely earnest expression. If PoR works because it doesn't take itself seriously at all, OoE works because it takes itself entirely too seriously.

Portrait has the best music of any handheld CV game, at least.

I can't argue with that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
My beef with Ecclesia wasn't the linearity, it's that most of the stages before the castle are just really uninteresting. I like that they made it more challenging/action-focused but I wish they'd gone all-out and just made a linear game with properly designed levels for the entire game. Harmony of Despair was a step in that direction and I wish it'd been better received.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really like all three DS games, it's pretty hard to choose a favorite. I think I had the most fun actually playing OoE, though. But then it has probably the worst alternate mode in Albus...

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

There's a rearranged music collection for PoR out there, the tracks are fantastic. I always liked the boss theme "Destroyer". A lot of the stage music is very memorable too, PoR was actually pretty great.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I remember preordering Portrait almost ten fuckin years ago and getting some cool castlevania swag (a stylus pen, soundtrack, timeline? other things)

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I remember preordering PoR and not getting jackshit because the store didn't get enough swag/the employees stole it all.

That said, the game is great. It could've used some more dev time to really fill it out (the entire upper left corner of the map is just empty) but I really like the partner mechanic. I wish they could've iterated on that a little, but it was not to be.

But really, all the DS titles are great in their own way. It was a good time for CV fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
If it wasn't for the game crashing bugs (and not fun ones like the succubus teleport glitching from DoS) I'd probably play and 100% PoR more often, but since some of the quests require you to grind up sub-weapons that crash the game through normal use it really leaves a bad taste.