Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I fuckin love dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Jay Rust posted:

I fuckin love dogs
They are the best.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What is this heresy drivel

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/201604/the-data-says-dont-hug-the-dog

Hug all the dogs IMO

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

I leaned over and said to her: "You really shouldn't hug a dog. They don't like it and it raises their stress level."

The girl looked at me with an expression of disbelief and said, "I'm studying developmental psychology and there's lots of evidence which says that hugging is important and pleasant. When a mother hugs her child the child gets a surge of the hormone oxytocin and so does the mother, and that hormone is associated with loving and bonding. There is evidence that says that if parents don't hug and touch their child a lot, that child can grow up to be emotionally stunted. So how can you tell me that hugging isn't good for dogs, especially for a puppy?"

First off: Yes I am sure this happened.

Second: RIP hugging dogs, replaced by even more petting

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

That's stupid on its face, but it helps that his methodology, if you could call it that, is transparently garbage:

quote:

I decided to look at a random sample of 250 such pictures...

Even if it were possible to objectively judge a dog's emotional state by its facial expression in a still photograph (lol), he completely misses what's actually causing the dogs' discomfort: the loving camera! Dogs love cuddling! They don't like it when their owner covers his face with a camera! Jesus Christ what a goddamn retard.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I have known dogs that sometimes get a little freaked out if you hug them the wrong way just from the "lumbering large body trying to envelope and pin me down" aspect.

That being said, psychology today is woo woo pseudoscience bullshit not an actual academic journal. Also if a dog doesn't like it they will give a little growl saying "OK buddy I want some space." Otherwise, hug and pette all dogs jeeze this isn't rocket science.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
The state of psychology, psychiatry, and sociology in general is woo woo pseudoscience bullshit but I don't want to get into it. All I'll say is that if the result of a "social science" study is completely counterintuitive, you should ignore it because the methodology is guaranteed crap. If it's so intuitive like "I knew this all along!" then you should still ignore it because you're being pandered to and the methodology is still crap. Psych studies exist to manufacture headlines for ideologically sympathetic periodicals.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 27, 2016

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

Makes perfect sense if you try to a hug a dog that doesn't know you but if you come home and your dog is making GBS threads itself excited and trying press itself into you as much as it can then the idea it would somehow suddenly get freaked out when you hugged it is just dumb.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
very good dogge

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I don't know if this has been posted but as you may have noticed I like poms.

http://youtu.be/VtXYmaodIgE

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I did a study on whether dogs like hugs or not. Result inconclusive; insufficient hugs.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

at the date posted:

The state of psychology, psychiatry, and sociology in general is woo woo pseudoscience bullshit but I don't want to get into it. All I'll say is that if the result of a "social science" study is completely counterintuitive, you should ignore it because the methodology is guaranteed crap. If it's so intuitive like "I knew this all along!" then you should still ignore it because you're being pandered to and the methodology is still crap. Psych studies exist to manufacture headlines for ideologically sympathetic periodicals.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dogcow posted:

Makes perfect sense if you try to a hug a dog that doesn't know you but if you come home and your dog is making GBS threads itself excited and trying press itself into you as much as it can then the idea it would somehow suddenly get freaked out when you hugged it is just dumb.

If your dog is pressing on you hard at the door you haven't trained your dog well. They should always give you space to come in and get situated first. You should be ignoring the dog the moment you walk in the door until you're ready to give them back all the attention they deserve.

Letting them maul you at the door actually leads to increased anxiety and separation issues. When your departure and return become routine non-exciting events, they're much more chill when you're gone.

When I get home I don't say a word to my roommate's dogs or Dakota. I just let them out of kennels if they're in them or if not just walk to the back door. They calmly follow and sit, we go do our business, then once we get back inside we go apeshit for a few minutes.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Didn't mean to spark any sort of debate or discussion on the matter. Just thought it was ridiculous slow news day type thing

That said I disagree with the above. That's definitely applicable to crate training and what you should be doing, especially initially. And while you can argue your home is one big crate. Yeah whatever I'm not going to argue I just disagree with that outside of crate training. Seeing that little pot of gold run out the door when I get home ecstatic with love is what I take solace in with life.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 27, 2016

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

My dog barrels around like a moron for a few circuits of the downstairs then runs upstairs to wait for me to do the pets.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Ain't gonna lie...

I cried like a total bitch and am not ashamed to say it: http://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2016/04/26/spain-animal-shelter-dog-transformation-orig-vstan-bpb.cnn

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Finally a dogge thank you for a good dogge

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

He's a little husky

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

PenisMonkey posted:

I don't know if this has been posted but as you may have noticed I like poms.

http://youtu.be/VtXYmaodIgE

It's like they cloned Daphne and put Alfie on the sled.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

He's a little husky

Mods.

Give this man a treat. He is a good poster.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If we assume that dogges are good and dogge goodness increases over time, then today we say farewell to the goodest dogge. :(

http://mashable.com/2016/04/19/worlds-oldest-dog-dies/?utm_cid=mash-com-tu-photo#vrI70euPOqqS

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
Reposting because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHJ4O6Q9FsM

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Lazy Reservist posted:

It's like they cloned Daphne and put Alfie on the sled.

nice to see delta dogge back from running raids

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

http://i.imgur.com/3aevisN.webm

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

I've never seen a "Kill Me" look from a dog before...

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

everyone's up! go go go

e: She appears to do a Q&A and handling session everyday at noon

bimmian fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 28, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I declared today "Bring My Dog To Work Day". So far, Diesel is going from office to office getting pettes. And is currently curled up under the desk of our receptionist. Who he just met.

Good dogge.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I bring my two to work every Friday, they also get stolen by the receptionists and get pets, carrot sticks and pork rinds all day

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
my dogge loves to chill in my lap which is cool, lap dogs are cool

also he made the local paper for being SUPER CUTEST DOGS in the area (i think they posted every submission)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
well yea all the dogges are the SUPER CUTEST DOGS

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

holocaust bloopers posted:

Agreed, if anything that newspaper is just doing the right thing

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

"WE HAVE COMPILED A PICTURES OF SUPER CUTE DOGS!!!!"

"YOU WONT BELIEVE WHAT YOU WILL FIND INSIDE!!!!"

*listical with an infinite amount of SUPER CUTE DOG pictures*

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
http://youtu.be/NK-T_t166TY

Wanna fly on that plane and lose stuff on purpose :3

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

agreed my friend

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Malek posted:

I've never seen a "Kill Me" look from a dog before...

I'd only satisfy that request if I get to do it with pettes.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/FOXDeportes/status/725136065078521856

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So that's what'll make soccer actually watchable