Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
What settings do I turn down to get Irithyll/Demon Ruins to run at 60 FPS? I'm using a GTX 970 and every other zone runs at 60 FPS for me. I was playing on High settings with a few options I didn't care about (motion blur, water, shadows) turned down. I've been fiddling with the settings but can't figure out what exactly is causing the framerate hits in these two zones. I thought it might be distance rendering since Irithyll runs fine once I'm in an enclosed area, but Demon Ruins brings me down to 45 FPS even though like 80% of the zone is copy-pasted textures in tiny hallways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't think you should be able to summon anymore white phantoms as long as there is a red phantom in your game.

You should be able to summon as many purples as you want though

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

What about milkring for pve? Does obscuring matter?

Pretty sure the obscuring is just for show. Looks neat though.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Those Carthus Rings are some good medium rare steak I tell you what

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Harrow posted:

Is there ever a reason to make a weapon Sharp?

That seems like a silly question I realize, because the answer sounds like it should be "if you're running a Dex build with low Strength, duh." But I'm not so sure. Looking at most weapons, Sharp has the same letter for Dex scaling as Refined does, and much lower Strength scaling with only a little bit higher base damage. I know the letters are a range, but I can't imagine that a Sharp Longsword's B Dex scaling is meaningfully better than a Refined Longsword's B Dex scaling.

I really want to test it but I don't want to burn all my respecs quite yet. If I go, like, 16 Strength/40 Dex, I have a suspicion that Refined might still beat Sharp with most weapons.

A Refined Dark Sword +10 has higher DEX scaling than a Sharp Dark Sword +10. Scaling is weird in this game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

I don't think you should be able to summon anymore white phantoms as long as there is a red phantom in your game.

You should be able to summon as many purples as you want though
This would be hilarious if tweaked properly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

i just dont think that people should be able to summon an infinite amount of phantoms

so you wanna fight me..well lets see if you can beat everyone else in the game first!

e: like this is straight up dumb af https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE7i71m-Q3g

they should be allowed to because you're the aggressor, not them. you shouldn't be allowed to gank squad a red soapstone guy, but a regular invader just has to deal with it

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't mean "as many purple phantoms until you hit the phantom cap"

I mean as many as you want

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Too bad from will probably never touch it

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
What's the highest stability on a shield that can parry?

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Does anyone use Eleonora? I thought it looked cool so I burned a bunch of scales and a slab on it and I'd like someone to tell me I didn't gently caress up

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

they should be allowed to because you're the aggressor, not them. you shouldn't be allowed to gank squad a red soapstone guy, but a regular invader just has to deal with it

thats not really addressing the point. i don't care if the host wants to or not. they're not bound by some kind of video game moral code, although it is weird to me that someone would buy a game like this and then just have a zero consequences ghost team destroy everything in their path. the point is that this capability should not exist. just give people x amount of summons per bonfire rest.

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 27, 2016

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Babe Magnet posted:

I don't mean "as many purple phantoms until you hit the phantom cap"

I mean as many as you want

in theory, the game tries to load purple invading phantoms into pvp where the host has multiple phantoms already, but in practice the host probably hasn't used the fingers to ensure that they can get maximum carnage rolling.

it'd be cool if summoning a white / yellow phantom automatically summoned every purple phantom with a summon sign in the same zone though.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
The first half of Abyss Watchers is fun as gently caress, and probably one of my favourite bosses in the series. Just a bunch of acrobatic motherfuckers styling on each other. Especially if you summon someone. Especially if you summon someone doing an Abyss Watcher cosplay.

If there was any boss that deserved the mirror knight invasion treatment, it's these guys.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Welp. I accidentally killed onionman. I was doing one of those lungey piercey attacks while fighttalking a monster and hit both by accident.

I should probably restart :saddowns:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The latest trend in pussyassbitch hosts who should uninstall the game and get the gently caress out is to upon invasion all rush to the safety of the bonfire, have the three summons go get their level 125+ poopsockers with better gear and estus and spells one after another, then kill the invader.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

McTimmy posted:

A Refined Dark Sword +10 has higher DEX scaling than a Sharp Dark Sword +10. Scaling is weird in this game.
Either its bugged or was nerfed last minute or has a hidden component. There's no reasoning that I can see that it has equal or slightly worse scaling than Refined and that Heavy just gives you all the dex scaling added to the str scaling while the inverse isn't true.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Looks like the update is live/servers are down

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

MrLonghair posted:

The latest trend in pussyassbitch hosts who should uninstall the game and get the gently caress out is to upon invasion all rush to the safety of the bonfire, have the three summons go get their level 125+ poopsockers with better gear and estus and spells one after another, then kill the invader.

That's not "latest" at all, that's been happening since the game released.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Invaders complaining about getting reverse griefed is extremely my poo poo. Never stop making angry posts about it.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Jetamo posted:

Welp. I accidentally killed onionman. I was doing one of those lungey piercey attacks while fighttalking a monster and hit both by accident.

I should probably restart :saddowns:

it really doesn't matter at all. if you got his siegbeer and his gesture from the first fight with the fire demon in the undead town, you're basically done with him. he dies at a predetermined point anyway

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

thats not really addressing the point. i don't care if the host wants to or not. they're not bound by some kind of video game moral code, although it is weird to me that someone would buy a game like this and then just have a zero consequences ghost team destroy everything in their path. the point is that this capability should not exist. just give people x amount of summons per bonfire rest.

this thing you are trying to fix is not a problem. it literally would not even come up in the first place outside of the very, very rare invader that can murder over 3 phantoms without dying or killing the host, or for pvp fight clubs, which it would make much more inconvenient at absolutely zero benefit. it's such a small, niche situation and is a solution that a) doesn't fix an actual problem because you, the invader, should have killed the guy before this ever happened and b) hurtss another aspect of pvp. it doesn't even come into the equation in pve, especially when most people just summon for bosses where you can only take what you have into the arena

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

homeless poster posted:

it really doesn't matter at all. if you got his siegbeer and his gesture from the first fight with the fire demon in the undead town, you're basically done with him. he dies at a predetermined point anyway

But that's where he died for me.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Are a lot of you guys, or a lot of DS III players, playing on PS 4 or PC?

In any case, I managed to farm an entire set of Lothric Knight kit after I killed one and a sword and titanite shard dropped. It's pretty cool, but drat it's heavy.

Can I really just run with the default armor the whole game and worry only about pumping up my starter long sword? Is there any benefit to using the lothric knight sword I got?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Brannock posted:

That's not "latest" at all, that's been happening since the game released.

In fact this has ben a thing since dark souls 2.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

homeless poster posted:

I mean, he's going to miss a slab, a few gestures, some more braus, and probably some other stuff.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kild posted:

Either its bugged or was nerfed last minute or has a hidden component. There's no reasoning that I can see that it has equal or slightly worse scaling than Refined and that Heavy just gives you all the dex scaling added to the str scaling while the inverse isn't true.

Looking at the scaling letters, at least, Sharp kinda seems purely inferior to Heavy assuming pure builds on both sides. Sharp ends up with shittier scaling than Heavy in exchange for keeping some of the Strength scaling, but that basically means pure Dex builds get kinda hosed even if they use the same weapon as a pure Strength build.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

I mean, he's going to miss a slab, a few gestures, some more braus, and probably some other stuff.

a second storm ruler? I don't know if he drops it if he dies in the settlement

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

homeless poster posted:

He "dies" at the very end of his quest line lol it actually matters a lot

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So the end result for Siegward's quest other than warm friendship is a Titanite slab right?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Manatee Cannon posted:

this thing you are trying to fix is not a problem. it literally would not even come up in the first place outside of the very, very rare invader that can murder over 3 phantoms without dying or killing the host, or for pvp fight clubs, which it would make much more inconvenient at absolutely zero benefit. it's such a small, niche situation and is a solution that a) doesn't fix an actual problem because you, the invader, should have killed the guy before this ever happened and b) hurtss another aspect of pvp. it doesn't even come into the equation in pve, especially when most people just summon for bosses where you can only take what you have into the arena

Invasions should maybe just not be a mechanic if you as a game developer want them to be trivialized by allowing the host to quickly summon an unstoppable gank squad. "You, the invader" killing the host before this happens is an absurd proposition most of the time, generally when I spawn in it's to a "Summoning another phantom..." message followed up several times. I'm not saying invasions are completely broken, I've definitely had some fun ones, even very outnumbered, through the use of white branches for ambushes and the like. But most of the time it's hold back and hope a buddy spawns in quick and that my victim's playmates are incredibly incompetent.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So that was a close call victory on my second shot at the Catacombs boss.

Are the Bonewheel skeletons near the end supposed to be completely loving invincible? Because nothing I did from sword to fire orb would touch them after getting used to two shotting them when they appear normally earlier.

So the last leg of the boss was me desperately flailing at the boss while chugging estus between getting slammed by invincible adds (often standing around close enough that my swings at the boss would harmlessly pass through them too :v:)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Calaveron posted:

So the end result for Siegward's quest other than warm friendship is a Titanite slab right?

And the onion helmet, the best helmet in the whole game.

Fuligin posted:

Invasions should maybe just not be a mechanic

I agree

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Harrow posted:

Looking at the scaling letters, at least, Sharp kinda seems purely inferior to Heavy assuming pure builds on both sides. Sharp ends up with shittier scaling than Heavy in exchange for keeping some of the Strength scaling, but that basically means pure Dex builds get kinda hosed even if they use the same weapon as a pure Strength build.

Keep in mind you get a strength bonus when you 2h as well.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

loving lmao about invaders bitching about being out outnumbered

the monsters are on your side

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

giving a limited number of summon slots won't change the gank squad situation because they can hae 3 either way. like maybe don't invade people near the boss door or the beginning of the level if you don't want them to just summon people. if they run back there, well, oh well. the invader isn't supposed to have an easy time because they're the invader. the 4 man squad thing is a completely different thing and making it so you can't summon people over and over again doesn't fix that

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Invasions own actually and they're the coolest when you are by yourself just trying to get by and an invader shows up and you're scared shitless. that makes it meaningful

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I was invaded while running to the boss in the Undead Settlement. The invader spawned in the section you normally have to run past due to giant honking arrow-spears and they tracked him from that area over to me at the bonfire. I tried to engage him a couple of times but I didn't have to lift a finger, Thanks sniper bro!

Then I lost internet connection during the boss fight and my Sunbros went poof. :(

That is my Dark Souls III story.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

If DS2 was any indication, then "S" scaling for Dex, at least, doesn't really effectively communicate how much damage it adds. The letters are based on whether or not the actual scaling passes the minimum for that letter. As well, Dex weapons typically strike a lot more frequently than Strength weapons so may have higher damage across an attack chain even with lower scaling.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Invaders complaining about getting reverse griefed is extremely my poo poo. Never stop making angry posts about it.

:razz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Wow this thread moves too fast I guess I'll just figure this out on my own.