Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?
I think the toughest thing you're going to have with this deck is getting the Skyward Volley combo off. Your only tactics hero isn't Noldor, so can't take advantage of Arwen's abiity. Sure, you can draw into Song of Battle, but that's two cards in 50.

Also, ringsdb.com is a beautiful thing. Here's your deck:

http://ringsdb.com/decklist/view/912/selecta84-s-skyward-volley-deck-1.0

And here's my version:

http://ringsdb.com/decklist/view/913/my-version-of-selecta84-s-skyward-volley-deck-1.0

I trimmed out the horse breakers for Rivendell Minstrels, so you can fetch the songs. I also added To the Sea, To the Sea, since most of the allies are Noldor, giving you some more cost smoothing. I took out Daeron's Runes, since Elven Light is a pretty strong card draw and I added Will of the West to recycle the deck if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

mongol posted:

I think the toughest thing you're going to have with this deck is getting the Skyward Volley combo off. Your only tactics hero isn't Noldor, so can't take advantage of Arwen's abiity. Sure, you can draw into Song of Battle, but that's two cards in 50.

Also, ringsdb.com is a beautiful thing. Here's your deck:

http://ringsdb.com/decklist/view/912/selecta84-s-skyward-volley-deck-1.0

And here's my version:

http://ringsdb.com/decklist/view/913/my-version-of-selecta84-s-skyward-volley-deck-1.0

I trimmed out the horse breakers for Rivendell Minstrels, so you can fetch the songs. I also added To the Sea, To the Sea, since most of the allies are Noldor, giving you some more cost smoothing. I took out Daeron's Runes, since Elven Light is a pretty strong card draw and I added Will of the West to recycle the deck if needed.

Thanks a bunch.

Yeah I was thinking about adding the Ministrel but in my group the unexpected courages are taken so that's why I used the horse breakers.

Maybe I can take out Risk some light for them.

And yeah, hasty strokes can go too I guess. Feint should offer enough protection from shadow cards.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I've got an upcoming tournament in 2 weeks and I think I'm going to run my Stark deck for it. It has tons of high cost but the plots I run means I can afford it. Stark power rushing on characters is real. My second game I've played now I only won with 4 power on my house. 3 was on Sansa, 5 was on Blackfish, 2 on Robb and 1 on Eddard. I didn't even realize I won until I counted to see how much power I needed and I realized I was there. I had grabbed 5 power in one challenge, It was great. Wolves in the North made Stark a great contender.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I find it hard to make decks in LOTR. Just picking the Heroes I want to use can be hard enough, and then I end up wanting to have too many cards and the deck's too bloated. It probably wasn't a problem before when I had less cards and I ended up having filler cards. But now, with just two cycles (Mirkwood and Kazadum) and 4 saga boxes I'm struggling. I know I can probably make some easy Dwarf, Hobbit, Rohan, or Eagle decks but I tried to make two decks not based on traits. I had a Tactics/Lore with Gimli/Legolas/Glorfindel and a Spirit/Leadership with Eowyn/Eleanor/Aragorn and I just kept going "I want this, and this and this" when making the decks. I think making 4 mono sphere decks would be easier to build, just a bigger pain to play.

Anyway, I tested the decks out to find weaknesses, and I didn't have enough allies, but that may have been the shuffling. I'll have to go through a few more games to sort it out I think. It'll be the best way to learn. Even though I smashed the Passages through Mirkwood, I should redo it and try pushing further to really highlight the weaknesses.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Amoeba102 posted:

I just kept going "I want this, and this and this" when making the decks. I think making 4 mono sphere decks would be easier to build, just a bigger pain to play.

This is a legit plan because I did the same thing a while ago and it worked really well. Having focused decks helped my friends who don't own the game since they didn't have to juggle multiple spheres of resources, and you can give them a very obvious plan which is straightforward to follow.

I had a Spirit deck that was just a huge quester, a Lore trap deck, Leadership Gondor ally swarm and Tactics Ents (ok, one Lore hero in this one). Once I knew what each deck was going to be based on they somewhat built themselves. Any two of these decks could deal with a goodly number of quests with minor changes

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Amoeba102 posted:

I know I can probably make some easy Dwarf, Hobbit, Rohan, or Eagle decks but I tried to make two decks not based on traits. I had a Tactics/Lore with Gimli/Legolas/Glorfindel and a Spirit/Leadership with Eowyn/Eleanor/Aragorn and I just kept going "I want this, and this and this" when making the decks.

That's a lot of starting threat! I have the same cycles as you and I made a few themed decks (dwarves, eagles, Rohan) then modified them as I discovered glaring weaknesses, but the main thing is realizing you don't have to always account for every possibility. Just start excluding cards that you think you really need and you'll be surprised that you don't always miss them.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I think these have been linked to before, but both Tales from the Cards and Hall of Beorn have good articles to help people get started with deck-building.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Re High Starting threat: I'd usually just aim to have a bit below the really big baddies in the Encounter deck so I can choose to take them on or not, but otherwise I generally would be optionally engaging enemies the round they enter the staging area even if my threat was lower so I don't worry too much about it. Especially for a Tactics deck. The Hill Troll with 30 threat level might be a problem, but most others at at 35.

I modified my decks a bit yesterday. Dropped a bit of attachments in the Tactics/Lore and got more allies in, and dropped some leadership events for attachments and Lore stuff into the other one. Re-did the Passage through Mirkwood because it was late and I didn't have time for much else. The deck seemed stronger. Completed the scenario in under 4 rounds which I think is only slightly quicker than before. I had less close calls. But now I have to do something more challenging. In the current state, the Hill Torll in the Journey down the Anduin will auto-engage so I need to rely on favourable starting hands. Or change up the heroes to get that threat down.

I've looked at Hall of Beorn, but I forgot about Tales from the Cards.

Edit: My current two deck strategy is: Tactics side will do most of the attacking, so I have attachments for Legolas and Gimli with some allies and events to help with that. Lore is there for healing and other minor utility in draws. Glorfindel is for questing. Leadership with Aragorn is for defending where possible, Sentinel wise. So I've got some defensive buffs for him. And then Spirit is for questing, land management with allies and treachery management with events/Eleanor.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 20, 2016

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Guys. After 3 months at sea...
Flight of the Stormcaller is finally shipping!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Alrighty. Tried Jorney down the Anduin with my "High starting threat" decks. Lucky start, Sneak attack Gandalf + Rivendell blade meant I got the Troll on the first turn. Troll got the shadow card that meant defender defense was 0, so I lost the Gandalf and got +2 threat. Smashed through into the second stage of the quest. Tried to keep the staging area clear, Had good land management stuff with Lorien guide and Northern tracker + glorfindel with asfaloth. Tacctics got basically 0 cards, and Lore cards were pretty meh. Got a mass of enemies when I got to the third stage and got overrun.

Tried again, no changes. Again had a sneak attack gandalf. Black arrow this time to kill the Troll. Actually had tactics cards so I got some little guys out. Also had Asfaloth again but didn't draw many locations. Kept the area clear and had 3 enemies to deal with in the final stage and killed them all in the one round. A big swing in difficulty.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Just took my first run at Escape from Dol Guldur, I was playing two-handed. I got down to the final stage, with 4 progress to go, and one card left in the encounter deck. I drew an enchanted stream, no big deal, shuffled up the encounter deck, and flipped the top card to reveal... The god-drat Nazgul.

Still won, though. Sneak Attack Gandalf is OP.

It's also fun to include Beorn in Spirit decks, discard him (right now, via Eowyn), and then later use Stand and Fight.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Foehammer posted:

Just took my first run at Escape from Dol Guldur, I was playing two-handed. I got down to the final stage, with 4 progress to go, and one card left in the encounter deck. I drew an enchanted stream, no big deal, shuffled up the encounter deck, and flipped the top card to reveal... The god-drat Nazgul.

Still won, though. Sneak Attack Gandalf is OP.

It's also fun to include Beorn in Spirit decks, discard him (right now, via Eowyn), and then later use Stand and Fight.

Wait, you revealed the Nazgul from the deck? Had you already killed it after it entered play from rescuing the captive?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Wait, you revealed the Nazgul from the deck? Had you already killed it after it entered play from rescuing the captive?

Yup. I killed it, and then waited until I had enough progress on Stage 2 to immediately clear it by claiming the Key & Torch objectives.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Foehammer posted:

Yup. I killed it, and then waited until I had enough progress on Stage 2 to immediately clear it by claiming the Key & Torch objectives.

Hah, nice! Who were your heroes and who was the captive?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Hah, nice! Who were your heroes and who was the captive?

Deck #1 was Eowyn, Theodred, and Beravor

Deck #2 was Gimli, Legolas, and Thalin (prisoner, determined via D6)

Foehammer fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 23, 2016

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't know if I love or hate this card. It's just madness. Great for Leaping Lions but just pure gold bait vs other houses.

This is also a great melee card. There's a lot of times where I don't want an opponent winning a challenge on another player with weak board control. I can easily plop this down for 1 gold and let him buy it.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I was thinking of starting an LCG (I already have LOTR and I like it), and I was torn between the GoT one and the Star Wars one. Which is the better game? Which would be easier for my non-boardgaming friends?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Depends on your taste, really. Star Wars is easier to start deckbuilding with, GoT scales nicer to multiplayer games. There's less of an existing cardpool in GoT currently, which might be an advantage or disadvantage, depending on your needs.

Myself I really, really like Star Wars.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

radlum posted:

I was thinking of starting an LCG (I already have LOTR and I like it), and I was torn between the GoT one and the Star Wars one. Which is the better game? Which would be easier for my non-boardgaming friends?

Thrones is much better for multiplayer and a little better (IMO) for 1v1 play but more complex in general; Star Wars suffers a little from basically being a beta version of Conquest rules-wise, but it has greatly simplified deckbuilding that can be appealing to more casual players (as well as the Star Wars theme!).

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Preview is up for the new LOTR saga expansion
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/4/26/the-flame-of-the-west/

Malibu Stacy has a new hat, and Aragorn has another hero card.

Great ability, seeing as there are a lot of great Artifacts to attach to him.

And a Tactics Eowyn

:stwoon:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
How much replayability is there with each adventure pack for LotR?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I have to catch up in the saga cycles.
And since I did a quick and dirty box insert to get all my cards into the core box, I can probably pick them up at some point soon. Can't do all the cycles however.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 27, 2016

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

How much replayability is there with each adventure pack for LotR?

I can only speak on the saga boxes: I find it fun to replay and try with different decks and heroes. Either go full thematic in deck construction or just go with some favourites. But the saga boxes probably have more nostalgia factor from reading the books and familiarity with the events depicted.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I love Tactics Eowyn, that is some premium flavor

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Holy poo poo Tactics Eowyn.
I love this game.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Fetterkey posted:

Thrones is much better for multiplayer and a little better (IMO) for 1v1 play but more complex in general; Star Wars suffers a little from basically being a beta version of Conquest rules-wise, but it has greatly simplified deckbuilding that can be appealing to more casual players (as well as the Star Wars theme!).

Your Conquest bias is showing here. Star Wars is not a 'beta Conquest'. If anything Star Wars is L5R-lite. Mechanically Star Wars has more in common with aGoT than Conquest. If you're basing your argument around the pod system, then I guess I can see where you're coming from but its still a pretty big difference. In my mind, Star Wars broke the mold on standard deck building and a lot of people bitched and moaned, and when Conquest came along they wanted to use the idea again but scaled it down so that there wouldn't be as much whining from people who needed to be able to control every card in their deck.

To answer the original question, if you have a group of casual buddies do Thrones because its easy to learn and you can do multiplayer. Star Wars is less complex rules wise, but more complex strategically and in deck building. Still I'd favor thrones simply because the cost to buy in is so cheap right now.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 27, 2016

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

PaybackJack posted:

Your Conquest bias is showing here. Star Wars is not a 'beta Conquest'. If anything Star Wars is L5R-lite. Mechanically Star Wars has more in common with aGoT than Conquest. If you're basing your argument around the pod system, then I guess I can see where you're coming from but its still a pretty big difference. In my mind, Star Wars broke the mold on standard deck building and a lot of people bitched and moaned, and when Conquest came along they wanted to use the idea again but scaled it down so that there wouldn't be as much whining from people who needed to be able to control every card in their deck.

Yeah the pod system is one of the more interesting things for deck building in forever. What it does for card balance is actually very interesting in that you're not allowed to just jam the best cards in your deck without risk of having filler with it. I actually like Star Wars a lot as a game, but the sketchy release schedule for the expansion packs early did a number on the game's momentum, I think. At least it did around me.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

alansmithee posted:

Yeah the pod system is one of the more interesting things for deck building in forever. What it does for card balance is actually very interesting in that you're not allowed to just jam the best cards in your deck without risk of having filler with it. I actually like Star Wars a lot as a game, but the sketchy release schedule for the expansion packs early did a number on the game's momentum, I think. At least it did around me.

Most of the people I play LCGs with like Star Wars the best, and will talk it up all the time.

Still not sure I've seen any events for it. I bought a starter getup to get into it but haven't had a chance yet. I will say - Star Wars is still cheap to get into, because you only need 2 cores instead of 3s, and there seem to be a lot fewer "must have" packs to get competitive because of pods.

Also, anyone have suggestions for some penny sleeves for LCGs? Binders are too unwieldy, so I'm going to be boxing up all of my games and I'd like to get them sleeved for that.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

EVGA Longoria posted:

Still not sure I've seen any events for it. I bought a starter getup to get into it but haven't had a chance yet. I will say - Star Wars is still cheap to get into, because you only need 2 cores instead of 3s, and there seem to be a lot fewer "must have" packs to get competitive because of pods.

Frankly, you can grab the two cores + single appropriate core set for the faction of your choice and you can slap together a legit deck.

Exceptions:
- Rebel Alliance will reach that status in a few months, because they're still waiting for their core (Core Set is secretly the Sith big box)
- For Smugglers & Spies in particular, you'll need one more box.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I think I'd quite like the Star Wars LCG system if it wasn't tied to an existing franchise. A modern / future war version of it would interest me majorly.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Tactics Éowyn is pretty sweet. Just having a Tactics hero with four willpower makes some interesting decks possible. I'm looking forward to trying her with my Éomer/Éowyn/Théoden Spirit/Tactics Rohan deck. Would be fun to try her with Tactics Théoden, too. Five willpower!

New Fellowship Aragorn is pretty snazzy, too! I was already thinking of using Aragorn's Artifacts to give him more resource icons during our Saga games, but this cinches it.

As for the quests, I was expecting the Paths of the Dead and the Battle of Pelennor Fields, but the Corsairs are surprising. I was hoping for something with The Last Battle in front of The Black Gate, but this is pretty cool. I really like the way they're tying things into the Battle of Pelennor Fields, too. Maybe we'll get The Last Battle as a bonus quest?

Also, is that an enemy Nazgûl as a Burden in the card fan?!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Tactics Éowyn is pretty sweet. Just having a Tactics hero with four willpower makes some interesting decks possible. I'm looking forward to trying her with my Éomer/Éowyn/Théoden Spirit/Tactics Rohan deck. Would be fun to try her with Tactics Théoden, too. Five willpower!

Yeah, that sounds like a good time. I really like the idea that even if you don't use her monsterkill ability, you're starting the game with a 6 threat, hobbit-priced hero with 4 printed willpower.

So, with Herugrim attached, Eowyn's big shot would be attacking with +14 ATK. That's enough to one-shot a Nazgul of Dol Goldur or any of the trolls in the game.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I tried Dol Goldur with my high threat decks. And wouldn't you know, I threated out on one and it snowballed. drat undefended Ungoliant Spawn Shadow card. I lasted a few rounds after that, but with Doomed keywords cropping up, my time was pretty short. I did get the prisoner out, and the Nazgul to 8/9 damage with some easy ways to manage (ie kill it) it for at least one more round as my tactics/lore sat at 49 threat and clear the way for my spirit/leadership deck to smash through the rest of the game possibly. But a doomed keyword during staging and then it was all all over basically.

I'll probably play it again and have a big swing in difficulty in my favour. I did get decent cards for Tactics/Lore - allies and stuff like that. Could have been slightly better but no complaints. Spirit/Leadership had Aragorn captured and only Leadership cards for the most part.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Can't get over how bonkers Tactics Éowyn is. Okay she can already quest for 4, but a grappling hook would let her quest once for 10 after staging cards have been revealed. I've played enough games where that would have made the difference between a win and a loss.

Interested to see if there's more cards coming that play off her unusual starting threat stipulation (the "Setup:..." bit instead of her just being 6 threat), right now I can't think of much beyond Loragorn, if that's how it'll work.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Single Tight Female posted:

Interested to see if there's more cards coming that play off her unusual starting threat stipulation (the "Setup:..." bit instead of her just being 6 threat), right now I can't think of much beyond Loragorn, if that's how it'll work.

Stuff like: http://www.lotrlcg.com/Card/Focus/1743

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Nothing forces you to use her ability at all during the game.

That's she's 4 Will Tactics is far more impressive than her combat potential (which Tactics doesn't lack).

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Oops, I specifically meant player cards. Obviously there's a mechanical design involved, balancing the reduction with the increase if you trigger her ability. However, it also lends itself to new design space with other cards.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

PaybackJack posted:

To answer the original question, if you have a group of casual buddies do Thrones because its easy to learn and you can do multiplayer. Star Wars is less complex rules wise, but more complex strategically and in deck building. Still I'd favor thrones simply because the cost to buy in is so cheap right now.

The Star Wars players in my area think that Conquest is basically an improved iteration of Star Wars with a better version of the pod system and the #1 most requested feature of Star Wars (playing units to specific objectives rather than just having them out there in general). There are still a few die-hards who play Star Wars as well, but most of them also play Conquest and consider it a better game.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Fetterkey posted:

the #1 most requested feature of Star Wars (playing units to specific objectives rather than just having them out there in general)

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Fetterkey posted:

The Star Wars players in my area think that Conquest is basically an improved iteration of Star Wars with a better version of the pod system and the #1 most requested feature of Star Wars (playing units to specific objectives rather than just having them out there in general). There are still a few die-hards who play Star Wars as well, but most of them also play Conquest and consider it a better game.

I've never heard about Conquest being improved Star Wars outside of this board. And I don't see how you could say it's got a better pod system since it doesn't have a pod system outside of your leader having preset cards (and fwiw I think that's a flaw in the game). I've never heard of anyone requesting that people play cards to specific objectives in SW either. If anything, I think the objectives are way better than Conquest's planet system-not only are they not always the same cards, but the fact your engagements actually eliminate them means you can actually work to deprive your opponent from a benefit you don't want them to have vs. just having to wait around until it's the first planet in line.

Basically as was mentioned before it seems like a lot of your biases are making you believe subjective opinions you and parts of your playgroup hold are somehow objective truths. I think both games are solid and have their place, but if I were to pick one that's better designed I'd have few reservations going with Star Wars (but again I'm a big fan of the pod system and think that's a big innovation, especially now that there's a larger card pool to support it).