Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Dear DivineCoffeeBinge,

I'm sorry.

Love,

Hobo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Coffeehitler posted:

Shellfish were a little higher and I don't think anything else has changed in Fishing.

Yeah they were 18 instead of 12

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Beautiful. I look forward to getting home and reading the chat logs and inevitable pubbie tears.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Can we change back to a Cone-themed name? We've managed to change the course of the game enough where Pine Cones are now part of the key to ultimate efficiency.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Virigoth posted:

Dear DivineCoffeeBinge,

I'm sorry.

Love,

Hobo.

On the one hand I'm all "Augh I just spent the last week and a half prepping up to be ready to make Cherry Cobblers and now they don't exist and the replacement food I could have cooked weeks ago augh" but on the other I'm more like "Holy poo poo the pubbie tears make it all worth it and besides my extension-planning worked out to position me perfectly for this shift I am okay with this."

I think the positives vastly outweigh the negatives here. Now I can get back to concentrating on Carpentry!

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Holy man the old guard is sure pissy in general. Especially when we suggest things that dare to make the game less tedious and more informative for new players.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I was wondering why they hate the goon guild since everyone seems to be pretty chill, and I finally figured it out. They just hate new players.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Overwhelming the game with an army of players isn't helping relations either. The goon guild has consistently outperformed all the other guilds' daily gains; the newbie rush just barely beats the strongest endgame guild by the time the daily scoreboard rolls over.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I don't think it's that they hate new players so much as they just hate people upsetting their applecart. More than anything else, it just seems like they're upset we're questioning them and their game.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
The more time-experienced players are being weird about change - I remember it from playing other games where I went in at the beginning and a couple of years later the newbie stuff was nerfed, levelling new characters felt too easy, but at the same time, once the game's established, you want people getting to the higher levels a bit faster so they can see more of the content.

So I understand where they're coming from, even if they are being silly about it.

If we could stop goon-rushing world chat though, that'd be great - we've made our point and it's time to just add constructive ideas on the forum for amar instead, since doing that in world is non-constructive and actively pissing other players off even if the majority are no longer going 'urgh you're in *that* guild' if you're not one of the ones speaking up.

The one good thing about all this is that Grumpy's on board with the sorts of things we're asking - he was initially very guarded, after all it's yet more work for him and his older players were extremely vocal - but he's listened to us all and understood why we're asking for these changes, and can see the good they'll do. He'll get there slowly but surely, especially now that the older players are being given no choice but to back down.

I still say take down Sal/YW/One of One/Cowboy though because they are ridiculously inflexible and actively harming the game for newbies (through world chat and forums, banging their sticks on the floor saying 'In My Day...').

Just a thought - how would anyone feel about suggesting that a useful thing on island #1 would be a repeatable quest (with bigger amounts of thing-x needed each time) to get a -t food or something...a thing which a newbie could do even without a guild...wouldn't get you far, maybe to lvl 8 or so in each skill or something like that? just to make that part of the grind fast and fun...am trying to think how to word it in a way that Grumpy would accept and find merit in...

vvvvvvvv definitely but a flag on the quest which says 'if the character's over x level in the relevant skill, tell them to go take a hike' shouldn't be *that* hard, should it?

Kluliss fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 25, 2016

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I think that a repeatable quest would be good but you'd need to be marked with some sort of "newbie" status on your character in the backend so it disappears after like character level 15 or something.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Virigoth posted:

I think that a repeatable quest would be good but you'd need to be marked with some sort of "newbie" status on your character in the backend so it disappears after like character level 15 or something.

Or just a few simple quests that are progressive. Bring me 100 bass, okay now bring me 500 bass, okay now bring me 2000 bass, 1000 halfmoon and 1000 sunfish. Okay here is the good end of quest chain reward. Do as many as are needed for someone to get to 10-15 in a skill following the chain. You don't have to even give out too much bonus XP until the capstone if you don't want to. You can then make the ones that give very little XP and are just breadcrumbs go away at certain levels like at level 5 the first one goes away and you get the 2nd one right away "you like you know your way around a fishing pole!"

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

A lot of googling lead me to the nearly lost "SA Smilies for the Web" grease-monkey script and it works here:

Can someone get the dev's permission in writing? I don't want to be banned for not replying.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Ok, so there was this "Chelle" in Chat, talking about not having stuff anymore. After a few PNs i got some stuff out of the storage to help. Declined! Because no Handouts! But appreciated.

Well, so later SheHulk came into the chat.

19:56:04 SheHulk : Bought a hatchet...less than a minute later...broken. How great! back to buying another one.
19:58:07 RWSA removed 20 Iron Hatchets from Equipment and Food.
19:58:11 RWSA : i'm santa!
*opening trade*
19:59:52 From SheHulk : What would you like?
19:59:53 To SheHulk : here are some hatchets
20:00:00 To SheHulk : nothing
20:00:15 From SheHulk : Oh wow! Thank you so much!
20:00:16 To SheHulk : just a gift from scone :)
20:00:50 From SheHulk : :D :D :D :D :D :D
20:03:35 From SheHulk : At least accept a smile! http://i.imgur.com
20:05:32 To SheHulk : lol, thansk

http://imgur.com/pUdqvdY

Uh, yeah, thansk.

Elewem
Dec 4, 2013

Jar Jar Binks in my Spirit Animal
And this is where was watch RWSA get catfished.

Or this is a real person who actually took a selfie to send to you. I mean, you were out of the blue nice to them for no reason other than to be nice, which is also unheard of, so why not?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I'm on public Wifi in an auditorium, sees like a risky click. Did she send nudes?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Virigoth posted:

I'm on public Wifi in an auditorium, sees like a risky click. Did she send nudes?

Its safe unless cleavage is frowned upon, but I'm almost certain I've seen that particular photo somewhere months ago.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Please don't give our guild bank to your e-girlfriend. :ohdear:

(But please do keep giving newbies newbie gear, of course. We need the goodwill hahahahahahaha.)

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

So now that we've got a nice userbase going of 70 regularly active people (holy poo poo) we might want to review what we're focusing on and make sure we're covering our bases for our production chains

Things it sounds like we might need:
Dedicated flax grower (14 gathering), linen maker, and shirt, pants, skirt maker for superiors
Salt Crusher- Level 10 alchemy to crush, Level 20 to mine
Cherry Pie Cooker - Crush pine nuts, gather eggs, milk cows, use cherries from FarmGoons <-- This one is probably really important but we'll have to see what food usage is after the Change.

I'm sure I've missed something somewhere but hopefully these are a couple ideas to get a conversation started on some short term, medium term, and maybe even long term tasking we can setup for the Greater Goon and how we move forward making sure we have the supplies we need.

Here is Xerol's original role post that was outdated due to the sheer number of Goons but it can give you an idea of things we might need to focus on:
"Equipment:
-Tools: RoastBeef has been covering this nicely, although having someone dedicated to chopping logs for smelting and carving cherry handles would help with that a bit as well. Carpentry becomes very useful when you hit level 25 and can start making Obsidian tools, which give a lot more timer reduction (at the expense of a higher break rate). And woodcutting will always be useful. One fulltime woodcutter and one splitting time between chopping logs and carving handles would cover this well.
-Armor: This overlaps with tools a bit but takes a lot of metal, so having someone else to gather ores and logs for the smith would speed that up.
-Leather stuff: Spellbooks are covered, and we've got a lot of botas for now, but those will all run out eventually. A fulltime combatter/tailor would fill in this role for now. Later on a high level tailor comes in handy for making clothing and accessories. This person should also fill up their extension slots with Flax gardens (and work towards that with gathering levels - level 14 gathering is needed but that can be achieved pretty quickly).

Consumables (foods & potions):
-One person can fill in a combination fisher/cook role. It takes quite a while to get up to the levels where cooking becomes useful (cooked fish has a very limited use, the timer foods are the important part of cooking). The storage shack has a good amount of nuts for making flour, and once you hit level 10 cooking you can start extracting pine nuts from pine cones, which we should have in abundance once the woodcutters switch over to pine. Additionally, cooking all the raw meat produced by the combat players will add up to a good chunk of cooking levels. The big prize here is getting up to 16 for Steak Stews, which are like a pocket version of the Wild Growth spell.
-The chef will need a lot of raw materials other than meat to make the dishes. This can be fulfilled by a fulltime hiker/gatherer, running a number of gardens for tomatoes, garlic, and later on contributing apples, lemons, potatoes, and basil. Eggs and mushrooms are also very useful and can be gathered in the downtime while waiting for extensions to grow.
-Moving towards the alchemy side of things, a fulltime woodcutter/carpenter to make parchment (and later on, oak barrels) as well as supplying the chef with raw logs for cooking, the tailor with parchment for spellbooks, and the chef with bowls.
-A smith to make bottles and iron ingots for barrels, filling in the rest of their time with mining sandstone and iron ores.
-Another person can focus exclusively on coal (once they've reached the required mining level). Coal is needed in large quantity for bottles and steel as well as some higher level smithing and alchemy tasks.
-Alchemy, much like cooking, takes a long time to get up to making anything useful, but with a good supply (mostly of parchment and raw materials) from the other players, can move up to that level quickly. Healing potions are absolutely 100% useless, they're left over from an older era of the game and have absolutely zero use, so the focus should be on getting to level 6 to make woodland potions (which will increase the random drops from woodcutting - cherries, pinecones, etc., not the logs themselves) which is at least mildly useful. The gem finding and fish finding potions, at levels 10 and 14 respectively, are much more useful, as the miners will then find more gems, and the fisher will find more snails (and snails = mana, and mana = magic levels, and you know where this is going). Because of the intense supply demands a fulltime alchemist requires, this might not even be a full-time role. Growing herbs on the side and maybe hiking or mining (to get up to salt level) would be good downtime activities for this person."

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Virigoth posted:

So now that we've got a nice userbase going of 70 regularly active people (holy poo poo) we might want to review what we're focusing on and make sure we're covering our bases for our production chains

Things it sounds like we might need:
Dedicated flax grower (14 gathering), linen maker, and shirt, pants, skirt maker for superiors
Salt Crusher- Level 10 alchemy to crush, Level 20 to mine
Cherry Pie Cooker - Crush pine nuts, gather eggs, milk cows, use cherries from FarmGoons <-- This one is probably really important but we'll have to see what food usage is after the Change.

I'm sure I've missed something somewhere but hopefully these are a couple ideas to get a conversation started on some short term, medium term, and maybe even long term tasking we can setup for the Greater Goon and how we move forward making sure we have the supplies we need.

To add, one thing we can definitely use are more alchemists to make dyes. We have no blue mittens or skirts. We have tons of undyed mittens and skirts, but no blue dyes. We have all the materials to make blue dyes, but our 1-2 alchemists that would normally do that are asleep or gone or whatever, so the dyes go unmade.

Also, I am now level 38 in Tailoring. Unless things get switched around again, or we have need of a higher level tailoring good, there's no reason for me to power level tailoring anymore. This means that unless someone corrects me here, we can have one or two more people step up and start making thousands of bota bags to get upwards of my level. It's not strictly needed, I'm just pointing out that it could be done now.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I think 40 tailoring will let us "be good" with tailoring for a bit but 65 will sure be nice for Copal bracelets. I"m in the same boat some as once I hit 60 combat for that equipment that I have to buy I'll be out of reasons to power level so much and start doing some mass materials gathering for botas/cooking stuff while the rest of the guild XP curve catches up in our smithing/carpentry department for armors.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
What level alch do we need to get to? I'm 20k from 35 speed, but don't mind changing over. Just let me know what you want me to do!

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

synthetik posted:

What level alch do we need to get to? I'm 20k from 35 speed, but don't mind changing over. Just let me know what you want me to do!

Since you are already on a 30+ skill it makes sense for you to stick on Speed and specializing if Speed doesn't make you want to gouge your eyes out. You are within a reasonable distance of 45 and being able to get Ash and other good mats at Volcano for us.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Virigoth posted:

Since you are already on a 30+ skill it makes sense for you to stick on Speed and specializing if Speed doesn't make you want to gouge your eyes out. You are within a reasonable distance of 45 and being able to get Ash and other good mats at Volcano for us.

Yeah, speed is cool. I'm pretending I'm the flash in training. Also, I kept hiking in the jungle instead of skating, the drops here seem to be more useful.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Virigoth posted:

I think 40 tailoring will let us "be good" with tailoring for a bit but 65 will sure be nice for Copal bracelets. I"m in the same boat some as once I hit 60 combat for that equipment that I have to buy I'll be out of reasons to power level so much and start doing some mass materials gathering for botas/cooking stuff while the rest of the guild XP curve catches up in our smithing/carpentry department for armors.

I could continue to power level to 40 tailoring, sure. At level 38, I can make kites and tattered sails, which was the big goal as far as I was aware. I might switch over to alchemy so I can make the blue dyes myself, possibly. We'll see.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Is there a decent chance we'll be needing dedicated fishers in the future? Fishing is the most interesting of the things I can idle doing, but I also want to contribute. Mostly, though, I just don't want to hit low level trees for the rest of my life. I don't know why, but chopping pine is hella boring to me.

I'm pretty low level in all skills, but aside from Gathering I've reached the recommended levels from the knowledge document. I'm basically trying to figure out if there's anything I should be powerlevelling at this point.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

GlitchThief posted:

Is there a decent chance we'll be needing dedicated fishers in the future? Fishing is the most interesting of the things I can idle doing, but I also want to contribute. Mostly, though, I just don't want to hit low level trees for the rest of my life. I don't know why, but chopping pine is hella boring to me.

I'm pretty low level in all skills, but aside from Gathering I've reached the recommended levels from the knowledge document. I'm basically trying to figure out if there's anything I should be powerlevelling at this point.

Fishing has some great continual uses now.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

My mining is about to hit 20 and I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna stick with that for literally forever since ores are always needed. Would be helpful to get buffs now and then, though.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

As of today I'm going to be working all day pretty much every day for about a month - I'll try to do botcheck when I can during the day but my job does not give me consistent times to be able to do that, probably every couple of hours at most.

As such, don't buff me unless I've just botchecked and am asking!

I'm probably going to go back to some sort of thing that doesn't require my input, possibly woodcutting.

My skills are as follows:

Alchemy 5
Carpentry 11
Cooking 9
Fishing 11
Gathering 24
Magic 10
Mining 7
Smithing 2
Speed 17
Tailoring 14
Woodcutting 20

Out of all of that, if there's something I can do which would be of most benefit to the guild, please let me know and I'll move myself to the appropriate place. I should be on a little in the evenings (GMT+1) and weekends but I have a lot to do outside of working at the moment so may not be as vocal as I normally am :D

Have fun, folks!

*going to do Cherry logs this week to stock us up, but let me know if there's anything we need a day on somewhere else.

Kluliss fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 26, 2016

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The Shortest Path posted:

My mining is about to hit 20 and I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna stick with that for literally forever since ores are always needed. Would be helpful to get buffs now and then, though.

If you need buffs you need to call for them in chat. It's not a guarantee but posting with your timer helps so people know how many casts you need. Also if you move to where a buffer is they can start casting on you and you can walk back to where you were if they are somewhere they don't/won't move away from to cast.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Kluliss posted:

As of today I'm going to be working all day pretty much every day for about a month - I'll try to do botcheck when I can during the day but my job does not give me consistent times to be able to do that, probably every couple of hours at most.

As such, don't buff me unless I've just botchecked and am asking!

I'm probably going to go back to some sort of thing that doesn't require my input, possibly woodcutting.

My skills are as follows:

Alchemy 5
Carpentry 11
Cooking 9
Fishing 11
Gathering 24
Magic 10
Mining 7
Smithing 2
Speed 17
Tailoring 14
Woodcutting 20

Out of all of that, if there's something I can do which would be of most benefit to the guild, please let me know and I'll move myself to the appropriate place. I should be on a little in the evenings (GMT+1) and weekends but I have a lot to do outside of working at the moment so may not be as vocal as I normally am :D

Have fun, folks!

*going to do Cherry logs this week to stock us up, but let me know if there's anything we need a day on somewhere else.

If you aren't absolutely set on woodcutting we could use someone for cooking who is just crushing pine nuts from pine cones and other nuts. You could spend a couple days crushing and then a couple days making flour. This also goes for crushing salt at Alchemy 5 if you have time to grind it up.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

sure, I can start doing one of those tonight/tomorrow, don't have time to change over now (one minute to slurp coffee & cuddle dog then I'm gone again >.<)

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

neogeo0823 posted:

To add, one thing we can definitely use are more alchemists to make dyes. We have no blue mittens or skirts. We have tons of undyed mittens and skirts, but no blue dyes. We have all the materials to make blue dyes, but our 1-2 alchemists that would normally do that are asleep or gone or whatever, so the dyes go unmade.

Just send a mail to darkwing. Also we are out of volcanic ash.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
I've actually been wanting to switch from Mining to Alchemy, so I've started to power level that.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
The thing is we don't really need more alchemists. Neo was overreacting. If you want to do it, cool. But otherwise what we need is more speedsters to get ash.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

nelson posted:

The thing is we don't really need more alchemists. Neo was overreacting. If you want to do it, cool. But otherwise what we need is more speedsters to get ash.

I didn't think it was an overreaction. :saddowns: I only said it because a couple people jumped on me because we had no blue clothes, and I said we had no dyes, and they were like "well, we have everything for those, so where's the alchemist??"

But yeah, we definitely need more ash. That seems like it's been our main bottleneck in getting more dyes.

In related news, I'm making batches of blue clothes now, so we'll have sets for people in a bit. Our next push for dyed clothing will likely be red sets.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

It would be nice to have someone chewing on that 10-30 Alchemy range to supply the cooks with salt. We have a major surplus of salt rocks and are getting a bit low on the crushed stuff.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

In about 4000 exp, I hit mining 30 and can slow down on the salt rock surplus.

What are our mining needs? Nickel or Volundr, or something else we need lower down? Keep beelining for exp for higher level things?

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Roflex posted:

It would be nice to have someone chewing on that 10-30 Alchemy range to supply the cooks with salt. We have a major surplus of salt rocks and are getting a bit low on the crushed stuff.

Alright, I should be up to level 10 pretty soon, so I can start the resupply of crushed rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Alright, here's the info on the

NEW COOKING WORLD ORDER

tl;dr: Cooking spreadsheet's hosed. If you want to contribute to the cooking effort it's a lot easier now and here's some easy lowbie stuff we'll need a fuckton of: flour, pine nuts, cooked fish (cooking, the reqs are really low-level AND quite useful), red bell peppers, milk (like 3-10 gathering or something, pretty easy; jalapenos first until the 30th though because they make more in gardens), all the lowlevel fish and shellfish (fishing, obvs)

The following timer foods (and one +drops food) are being removed:
Apple Crisp: -2 Smithing/30 min
Cherry Cobbler: -2 Carpentry/30 min
Oysters Casino: -2 Alchemy/30 min
Oysters, Half Shell: +2% Woodcutting Drops/20 min
Scalloped Potatoes: -3 Woodcutting/20 min
Seafood Chili: -2 Mining/20 min
Steak Stew: -2 Woodcutting/20 min
Trout Potato Salad: -2 Cooking/30 min

The following timer foods have not (yet) been changed:
Citrus Cooler: -2 gathering/20 min
Crab Cake: -2 fishing/20 min
Snake Skewer: -2 tailoring/30 min

(Also we need snake jerky for our combat peeps and that hasn't changed either).

The new or changed foods that matter are as follows:

Cooked Bass: -2 timer/3 min (duration stacking)
Cooked Trout: -6 timer/3 min (duration stacking, during trout tim only)
Cooked Halfmoon: -4 timer/3 min (duration stacking, during night)
Cooked Sunfish: -4 timer/3 min (duration stacking, during day)
Cherry Pie: -2 timer/20 min
Seafood Fra Diavolo: -5 min timer/1 min (duration stacking)
Baked Pumpkin Seeds: +5% Double Drops/15 min
Steamed Shellfish: +50% Random Drops /2 min (duration stacking)
Stuffed Peppers: +1% success rate/30 min

http://amar.bornofsnails.net/man/skills/cooking has the list of ingredients (enhancements section)

The notable bits are: cherries (gathering 19 or chopping cherry logs) and pie crust for the timer food, shellfish, tomato, and bell peppers for the min timer food, and bell peppers, tomato, and garlic for the success food (which can be used as a substitute for alchemy potions if we're low on them). Pumpkin seeds are a little annoying to get right now since you need to farm them into pumpkins and then bake them into pumpkin pies, but they're also pretty rad now too.

We have a lot of fish in stock right now, same with shellfish, same with wooden bowls, since we weren't using them as much before, but we might start eating through our stockpile now that they're actually used to make good and useful things, so more is always great.

We also have a ton of cooked fish stockpiled, so please take some for going about your day (take the other food too, don't be shy, just leave some for others to enjoy as well).

All these new recipes are sub-15 for cooking too, which is great.

Also, processing pine cones has more than doubled in xp from 6 to 13. Crush pine cones.