Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

This guy does a bunch of challenge runs on twitch. I don't remember how long he spent trying to beat pontiff this way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruEKE4aajgA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Poison is hopelessly weak this time around though, right? Farron keep didn't really impress me with it.

It's not completely useless, despite the hyperbole. You start to notice it more with weapons like the Astora Greatsword after you get your Poise into the 15-20 range: dogs stop staggering you if you get a swing off first, and certain Hollow enemies will no longer Poise break you during your swing windup.

The downside to this is that the speed of boss attacks makes using great weapons that actually see benefits from Poise a dangerous proposition. It's pretty common to get a swing out when the boss is in recovery frames, only to see them immediately launch some lightning fast attack.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Vermain posted:

It's not completely useless, despite the hyperbole. You start to notice it more with weapons like the Astora Greatsword after you get your Poise into the 15-20 range: dogs stop staggering you if you get a swing off first, and certain Hollow enemies will no longer Poise break you during your swing windup.

The downside to this is that the speed of boss attacks makes using great weapons that actually see benefits from Poise a dangerous proposition. It's pretty common to get a swing out when the boss is in recovery frames, only to see them immediately launch some lightning fast attack.

po...POISON....

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Internet Kraken posted:

Landing lloyd's talismans in this game feels impossible unless the other player is standing still. How do you hit moving targets with them?

A knockdown and good timing could probably prove pretty reliable. Time it right and you'll hit them before they can enter roll i-frames from standing up I think? Try something like the Storm Curved Sword for a fairly reliable to land knockdown from its weapon art.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
For those of you on PS4 the Ni-Oh demo just came out today if you dont want to deal with the patch fuckery

It's pretty good, the combat has a couple different "rules" than dark souls you have to learn but I like it

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I have the most luck landing those things by throwing them near my feet. people seem to roll towards you a lot whenever you try to throw anything.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Obligatum VII posted:

A knockdown and good timing could probably prove pretty reliable. Time it right and you'll hit them before they can enter roll i-frames from standing up I think? Try something like the Storm Curved Sword for a fairly reliable to land knockdown from its weapon art.

Hmm, that's a good idea. Gundyr's could probably work for it, since the charge->R2 already punishes runners pretty well.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Talismans are great because the failed estus animation looks like you just gunked up their bottle with sticky white stuff. :smuggo:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Poison is hopelessly weak this time around though, right? Farron keep didn't really impress me with it.

Poison is so pathetic it might as well not be in the game. Toxic does the damage old poison would of done. To kill anything with poison you'd have to sit still for 5 minutes while they slowly decay.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

GulagDolls posted:

po...POISON....

Someone please hurl me off a bridge. I can't loving read any words anymore.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The real threat of Toxic isn't quite its damage, it's that it lasts absolutely forever.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
I think one of the really dumb changes from DaS2 is how infusions and buffs work. The fact that rather than enhancing the infusion of a matching weapon you just can't buff them at all is stupid. I mean you can't even loving cast hidden weapon on a crystal or simple infused weapon. So basically crystal and simple infusions are worthless you get more out of a raw weapon with magic weapon cast on it. Any weapons that you might think would be good for a sorcerer due to infusion or innate magic damage you can't cast any of your 4 weapon buffs on.

I just want to be able to cast a magic buff on my magic weapon that and use loving sorcery to hide it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

remember demon's souls, where toxic was almost certainly a death sentence if you didn't have anything to cure it? those rats in 5-1 sucked

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
I've had really bad luck with any of the get summoned covenants, until I tried the Aldrich one. Holy poo poo it was nonstop summons. Maybe 30 seconds between each one, and they were mostly 2v1s against the invadee since it would often pull 2 Aldrich bros onto the same guy, or a red phantom every once in a while.

Also bleed estoc is pretty nice. I need another stone though so I can do my rapier too.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

wow sulyvahn really doesn't take parries very well

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'm so glad there's an emote to express how I feel when I get invaded

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Are there any patch notes. Thanks

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
PS4 servers seem to be back online. Remember, you'll have to quit out and re-load.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

net cafe scandal posted:

Are there any patch notes. Thanks

-Addressed invasion complaints by disabling multiplayer
-Made the game more "cinematic" by removing frames

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Vermain posted:

The ideal points for Farron invasions seem to be about level 20-40 or thereabouts, whereas Darkmoon/Sentinels tends to get hits in the 60-80 range just past Pontiff Sulyvahn. I honestly would not bother with Farron, as it seems to be the least active out of all of the covenants (or at least compared to Aldrich Faithful).

Welp, I started a new character and I'm SL25/+4, and still nothing. Turned cross-region matchmaking on hoping that would help, zilch. Turned on Blue Sentinels in the swamp and I got invaded (although it took a while), so clearly there are people there...

Ugh.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I missed screen shotting it, but I just saw a phantom of MYSELF standing by the bonfire before it slid away in idle stance.

Well, unless there was somebody else with a Chime, Flamberge, Herald pants, Mirrah chest, and the Symbol of Avarice at that exact same moment :v:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Bugblatter posted:

-Addressed invasion complaints by disabling multiplayer
-Made the game more "cinematic" by removing frames

That's pretty funny but are there any patch notes for the patch

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I haven't looked at this thread at all which is pretty weird for me, but uh

Dark Souls 3 is a very good game. I am enjoying the PVP in a way I haven't really since DS1.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

That's pretty funny but are there any patch notes for the patch

Fixed a bug where you might not get items properly while accessing a covenant when a player joins your game.
Some NPCs questline events have been made easier to trigger.
Made the requirement for joining the Rosaria’s Fingers less strict.
Fixed a bug when teleporting to Untended Graves.
Amended an issue where kicks were being parried.
Fixed a bug where Crystal Sage would not re-appear after warping in.
Fixed a bug where Dragonslayer Armour would die on its own before you fight.
Fixed a bug where Knight Slayer Tsorig would continue to gesture.
Fixed a bug where Siegward would fail to save Greirat even though the conditions have been met.
Fixed a bug where, when wearing a ring that increases Max HP, the change would not be reflected in some menus.
Fixed a bug where the voice chat icon would show (or not show) according to the settings.
Fixed a bug where the voice chat icon would continue to display when HUD display is set to AUTO.
(Xbox One) Fixed a bug where you can’t access the functions Quit Game, access bonfire, or use online play items when failing to connect to an online session.
(Xbox One) Fixed a bug where the game would crash to the title screen when you fail to connect to an online session.
Fine tuned various other things, fine tune performance, and corrected various bugs.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Thank you.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Feeling pretty good about pure caster sorcery on my second attempt, not sure if I want to do Crystal Sage now or leave it as my "final boss" though. :v: L31 with 41INT and 9VGR you can't tell me what to do game. Invaders kill me in 3 hits but as my character name is Crystal Lizard I feel justified in curling up in a ball till they get close then running away.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I want to get to making alts asap while I still have no desire to touch BB again.

Though I take it back Wolnir was a huge waste of a boss. He's a giant skeleman From why is his gimmick what it is.

I'll definitely roll some alts and gently caress around/try to figure out the NPC quests but man the last five hours or so of the game are some incredibly tedious poo poo if you don't have super armor weapons or some kind of parrying off hand. I finished every single encounter with the starter twinblades (mostly out of stubborness when it became apparent that the game just really, really wanted me to give up and upgrade a stance greatsword) and I felt like I was fighting the camera more than anything else.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Manatee Cannon posted:

remember demon's souls, where toxic was almost certainly a death sentence if you didn't have anything to cure it? those rats in 5-1 sucked

I remember it well enough to remember that it was called plague back then. And immediately after the rats that would almost certainly infect you, there was a vendor selling very expensive plague cures.

And then the boss of that world was in a plague swamp full of plague-inducing babies with knives for hands.

Good times.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Woozy posted:

I'll definitely roll some alts and gently caress around/try to figure out the NPC quests but man the last five hours or so of the game are some incredibly tedious poo poo if you don't have super armor weapons or some kind of parrying off hand. I finished every single encounter with the starter twinblades (mostly out of stubborness when it became apparent that the game just really, really wanted me to give up and upgrade a stance greatsword) and I felt like I was fighting the camera more than anything else.

The game becomes much less of a slog after you know item locations and can just grab what you need instead of fighting tooth and nail with everything. This, admittedly, does not speak highly of the game's non-boss combat.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

turtlecrunch posted:

Feeling pretty good about pure caster sorcery on my second attempt, not sure if I want to do Crystal Sage now or leave it as my "final boss" though. :v: L31 with 41INT and 9VGR you can't tell me what to do game. Invaders kill me in 3 hits but as my character name is Crystal Lizard I feel justified in curling up in a ball till they get close then running away.

As far as gimmicks go, I have to say that's a pretty good one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

turtlecrunch posted:

Oh is it normal for crystal sage to kick your rear end as a mage? Cause I died an embarrassing number of times to her despite never having a single problem with her before. Turns out low health combined with projectiles coming from everywhere is not a fun combination.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Really enjoyed the video game. Finished everything at level 70. Great optional bosses, probably some of my favorites in the series.

Once Covenant invasions are fixed for those people who have problems with it (like me) I'll start a lower level character to harass people. Maybe with spears.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh is it normal for crystal sage to kick your rear end as a mage?

As you might expect, he has gruesomely high magic absorption. I feel like they stuck the Astora Straight Sword where they did and gave it the scaling that they did for a reason.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CharlestonJew posted:

For those of you on PS4 the Ni-Oh demo just came out today if you dont want to deal with the patch fuckery

It's pretty good, the combat has a couple different "rules" than dark souls you have to learn but I like it

The Stamina system is really interesting but they need to fix the responsiveness of the controls and reblanace the HP for you and enemies.

Also figure out a way to do multiple enemies better. The system works really well for 1 on 1 but anything beyond that is a death sentence

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Stamina system is really interesting but they need to fix the responsiveness of the controls and reblanace the HP for you and enemies.

Completely agreed. Please just loving put the Sprint command on left stick click so I don't have an input delay as the game takes its sweet rear end time deciding whether I'm sprinting or not before letting me avoid (increasingly punishing and vastly faster) attacks.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
I think the clones only have 1 hp at least so you should be able to clear them with throwing knives (the fast kind). I don't remember much about Crystal Sage because I beat him in a rage-induced fog after having to dark sign the first attempt due to The Bug.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I think I'll go bow-heavy on my next character. Bows seem really good now, especially short bows.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Any thoughts on how you would make the requirement to join Rosaria "less strict"?

The hard part is getting there, and there are some guaranteed pale tongues before hand if you needed those to join (I only got there, didn't join yet. But I had over 5 pale tongues when I reached it).

Woozy posted:

I think the clones only have 1 hp at least so you should be able to clear them with throwing knives (the fast kind). I don't remember much about Crystal Sage because I beat him in a rage-induced fog after having to dark sign the first attempt due to The Bug.

Yeah, I brought my biggest "Dagger" with me as a side weapon on my second try, and all the sunbroing I did for it after that. Even if you don't go after them all, it's good to clear out one near the middle and then one or two while you are scoping things out for the Real Deal.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 27, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also figure out a way to do multiple enemies better. The system works really well for 1 on 1 but anything beyond that is a death sentence

That final staircase where there's 3 lothic knights charging you. From has had the problem with multiple targets all the way back to the armored core series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

That final staircase where there's 3 lothic knights charging you.

You mean that one I ran past at warp speed as soon as I saw it?