Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Vermain posted:

As you might expect, he has gruesomely high magic absorption. I feel like they stuck the Astora Straight Sword where they did and gave it the scaling that they did for a reason.

Her clones stay at 1 HP though so at least you can hide behind a rock and tag them with a single soul arrow to get rid of them. It makes the fight feel like some magical cover based shooter.

It still feels silly that I've died more to her than any other boss on this run though.

Tenzarin posted:

That final staircase where there's 3 lothic knights charging you. From has had the problem with multiple targets all the way back to the armored core series.

Wow crazy that the last room in the game would have a hard encounter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Tenzarin posted:

That final staircase where there's 3 lothic knights charging you. From has had the problem with multiple targets all the way back to the armored core series.

Wasn't talking about DSIII, was talking about Nioh.

DSIII does multiple enemies really well actually imho.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Internet Kraken posted:

Her clones stay at 1 HP though so at least you can hide behind a rock and tag them with a single soul arrow to get rid of them. It makes the fight feel like some magical cover based shooter.

It still feels silly that I've died more to her than any other boss on this run though.

Wouldn't call it hard with how the game works. Anything ranged could just spam it down.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

It is, in fact, possible to make encounters that are so teeth-grittingly frustrating to do that players, if given the option, will simply avoid them. I'm honestly curious to know the proportion of people who made it all the way to that staircase and actually decided to fight thirty Hollows and three red-eye blue tabard Lothric Knights instead of booking it as fast as their little legs would carry them.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Vermain posted:

It is, in fact, possible to make encounters that are so teeth-grittingly frustrating to do that players, if given the option, will simply avoid them. I'm honestly curious to know the proportion of people who made it all the way to that staircase and actually decided to fight thirty Hollows and three red-eye blue tabard Lothric Knights instead of booking it as fast as their little legs would carry them.

You are asking people posting in a dark souls 3 thread on the internet, how swole they are. Get ready.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 27, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I will punch them all with my beautiful fists

I will destroy them with punishing elbow drop combinations

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Vermain posted:

Backstabbing and I frames son

Tenzarin posted:

You are asking people posting in a dark souls 3 thread on the internet, how swole they are? Get ready.

No shame here

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The stairs right before the archives boss became one of my favorite places to invade if the host hadn't cleared out the enemies yet. It's usually 3 vs. 1 but you have an army of hollows and lothric knights on your side. Even if I fall my goal is to make them waste a lot of time and flasks before reaching the boss. Sometimes they'd use a seed but that would work to my advantage as I could get everything chasing me and pull them down to force the players out of turtling.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tenzarin posted:

Wouldn't call it hard with how the game works. Anything ranged could just spam it down.

This applies to tons of encounters in these games. Ranged spam makes a lot fights easy that would otherwise be rather difficult in melee.

Vermain posted:

I basically always try to kill everything the first time I see it because I want to be able to loot the area in peace. So yeah, I did cut my way through that army of hollows and knights. It was fun too, since I like those kinds of areas. I used to kill all the black knights in the Kiln and the army of dragon soldiers stationed on the stairs in Dragon Aerie.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
I must be stupid at this game. How exactly do I aim magic? Is there a way to scope it from a distance? Do I get a sight?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Vermain posted:

Like most tough encounters in Souls games, this one is completely trivialized by only aggroing one knight at a time. The others will keep moving forward because that's what they're scripted to do, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they know you're around.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Jesus gently caress Havel is bullshit in this game since everything can magically turn at insane speed and all weapons are auto-seeking. :argh:

You don't know fear until his stone buff bugs out when it wears off, resulting in him having a permanent 50% movement speed boost.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Vermain posted:

you can cut through most them in 1-2 hits, maybe 3 if they have a shield. you really shouldn't have any more problems with the knights since they had them in the first level and once you make it the first time you have a shortcut. the hardest encounter imo was the room with the 2 buff knights before the consumed king, especially if you don't kill that hard to notice little poo poo on the platform buffing them. with so many bosses being a silly gimmick and buffing the player weapons (movesets more than anything) so much, ds3 overall is probably the easiest iteration in the series

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Philosopher King posted:

I must be stupid at this game. How exactly do I aim magic? Is there a way to scope it from a distance? Do I get a sight?

You can use binoculars to aim, but by the time you do that you will be eviscerated.

I swear bows used to beable to do this.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
What are everyone's thoughts on using upgrade materials on early game weapons? I started knight and am running longsword but figure I'll probably switch it out midgame (some quick research points me to the dark sword being pretty good).

Am I safe in thinking the game throws enough titanite shards at you to keep a weapon up to date even if you won't use it forever?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Philosopher King posted:

So if this is anything like previous games, you can "scope" it using the binoculars (equip the binocs to the tools spot). I haven't tested this myself. If you missed the binoculars, they're in the Undead Settlement on top of the tower where the first dead dragon is, iirc.

Manually aim bows by using L1.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Philosopher King posted:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Target spotted, 30 degrees to the right.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Target spotted, 30 degrees to the right.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Vermain posted:

I fought 'em all, although I was really thankful that you could pretty much sneak to the boss behind their backs once you'd gotten past them.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Eldred posted:

What are everyone's thoughts on using upgrade materials on early game weapons? I started knight and am running longsword but figure I'll probably switch it out midgame (some quick research points me to the dark sword being pretty good).

Am I safe in thinking the game throws enough titanite shards at you to keep a weapon up to date even if you won't use it forever?

You can eventually buy every upgrade material infinitely except titanite slabs. So the only thing you really have to think hard about is bringing a weapon to +10 or +5 for twinkling and boss weapons.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You guys should try that staircase in reverse, after the knights walk down into the 7 grunts and form a mega deathball.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
So, for people complaining about invaded hosts being big babies: what's your opinion on invaders being big babies?

I had an invader sort of barely fight me, run off into the level, White Branch and go afk in that order. I killed two other invaders on my way to finding him (lol Anor Londo). He was maybe the fourth invader total I've had to chase down like it's Monster Hunter, but definitely the worst case of the four.

I'm not good at PvP. I swear to god, just fight me, you'll probably win. Save us both the time thanks

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I did it. 30 ears. Zero summons the whole time. 4.5 million souls. (At 3750 souls per, that's approximately 1200 silver knights, or, since I found 2 ears through the course of the game, 1 ear per 42 knights.)
This was with greedy goldsnake, suicide box hat, and a coin (usually) active for 311 item discovery.

I had to invade people a couple times to drop stacks of 99 titanite for them as I hit the max in item storage.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Giant Isopod posted:

I did it. 30 ears. Zero summons the whole time. 4.5 million souls. (At 3750 souls per, that's approximately 1200 silver knights, or, since I found 2 ears through the course of the game, 1 ear per 42 knights.)
This was with greedy goldsnake, suicide box hat, and a coin (usually) active for 311 item discovery.

I had to invade people a couple times to drop stacks of 99 titanite for them as I hit the max in item storage.

I used cheat engine to spawn them in like 30 seconds.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Tenzarin posted:

I used cheat engine to spawn them in like 30 seconds.

Ever get the "invalid game data" warning? I got one for loving around with CE on an alt I kept offline.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
if you hate the common enemies in this game just level your int up to 15 and use both spook and hidden body together (put on a lingering dragoncrest ring as well if you have it). you can ghost through entire levels and unless an enemy is body-blocking a door you won't be stopped at all. it works so well even the cathedral knights guarding the elevators and boss entrance at the Consumed King's Garden will literally not notice you squeezing right past them. It saved me so much time doing the run to that boss :eng101:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Republicans posted:

Ever get the "invalid game data" warning? I got one for loving around with CE on an alt I kept offline.

I spawned all the items for all the achieves and deleted my save game. Funny how this game that is mainly a console game has anticheat one week after the release and The Division can't even figure it out!

If you go offline and put something in your storage box and go back online you trigger the anticheat.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It was hard fought but getting the MLGS super early is already paying off as people in early areas have no idea how to fight against it. The damage on it may be mediocre, but those beams are a lot of fun in PvP, even if they'll never hit a competent duelist. Great for punishing sipping though. I suppose I should make this character a sorcery caster too since I had to commit so many points to INT to wield this thing, and will likely put in more to improve its primary scaling.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Holy poo poo the hitstun on the black knight greataxe is crazy. It's super slow but you still can't do anything about the second hit because you recoil from the first one for loving ages.

New Poise is garbage

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Republicans posted:

I used CE to beat a boss in offline mode and have the warning all the time now, but nothing has been done beyond that warning as far as I can tell. I'm almost done with my second playthrough, and the online is still broken for me anyway (only person I can successfully summon is my room mate, even with passwords) so I'm honestly not all that concerned.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Vince MechMahon posted:

I used CE to beat a boss in offline mode and have the warning all the time now, but nothing has been done beyond that warning as far as I can tell. I'm almost done with my second playthrough, and the online is still broken for me anyway (only person I can successfully summon is my room mate, even with passwords) so I'm honestly not all that concerned.

which warning is it? There's caution you have invalid data(delete your save game), and then there's Warning you are now in the cheater server(this is permanent for all future characters).

I think they are being alittle lax atm but cause they had alot of false positives.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Branding iron speedrun from the world record holding DS3 runner just starting

http://twitch.tv/distortion2

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
It's amazing how fast you can get though this game with a +10 dark sword and some foreknowledge. I started last night, now I'm already up to Lothric Castle and thats with a fair bit of loving around to wrap up all the questlines I hosed over last round.

Funniest boss run so far has to be Aldritch. We simul-killed each other but it still counted as a win, so I got the boss soul and then Emma teleported my corpse back to the chapel. Thankfully I respawned back at the Anor Londo bonfire so I didn't have to go far to get my souls back

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Branding iron speedrun from the world record holding DS3 runner just starting

http://twitch.tv/distortion2

Why branding iron?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Republicans posted:

Why branding iron?

Memes, lad

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Well that was a neat trick he just did. If you exit the game after you fall to your death you'll re-enter alive where you landed.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

You can use binoculars to aim, but by the time you do that you will be eviscerated.

I swear bows used to beable to do this.

bows can still do this if you hald l1 while an arrow is drawn. I have no idea what l1 would be with m/k, but it's lb on an xbox controller

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Tenzarin posted:

You can pull them individually with a bow/crossbow. This applies to almost all of the group encounters in the game. You don't even need to meet the stat requirements for a bow/crossbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

OKay can someone confirm this so I don't go insane, I swear to god that the ghrus make a faint "skype notification bloop" during their death audio. I'm pretty sure this only applies to the ones who have shields.