Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nate RFB posted:

Touta's fist bumping himself was pretty good tho.

I want to see what sorts of antics a team of Toutas would get into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

I want to see what sorts of antics a team of Toutas would get into.

I believe that the correct term is a Tribe :eng101:

That said, any chapter that uses copious amounts of "CLAMP Dumbass face" (The look on the Trio's faces when they walk in) is a good one.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 20, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like that female racer's spell key. I almost forgot those existed.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

I like that female racer's spell key. I almost forgot those existed.

Where'd that come up before?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skychrono posted:

Where'd that come up before?

I meant spell keys in general. Like Eva's Lic Lac La Lac Lilac, Negi's Rastel Maskil Magister, the generic Practe Bigi Nar, etc.

e: ahaha, Mei had a great one. Maple Naple À La Mode

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I meant spell keys in general. Like Eva's Lic Lac La Lac Lilac, Negi's Rastel Maskil Magister, the generic Practe Bigi Nar, etc.

e: ahaha, Mei had a great one. Maple Naple À La Mode

Yue's referenced Socrates too, I remember that.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 20, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I miss Akamatsu writing spells in surprisingly good ancient greek or sumerian.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I miss the old comics

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

New chapter out.

More fanservice race stuff.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

GhostStalker posted:

New chapter out.

More fanservice race stuff.

The biggest fanservice was the Mayflower III. And suddenly, INTERSTELLAR MAGICAL SPACESHIPS

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The mass naked child event has gone on long enough. Embarrased Kirie is good. Naked Kirie is bad. I mean poo poo, there is no point in reading an akamatsu manga if you are allergic to fanservice, but this is a bit much.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

The mass naked child event has gone on long enough. Embarrased Kirie is good. Naked Kirie is bad. I mean poo poo, there is no point in reading an akamatsu manga if you are allergic to fanservice, but this is a bit much.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

How does his spell absorption work anyway? Negi had to draw out complicated circles to copy Rakan, for example.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't know anything about Negima, but my impression just from reading this series is that the twin magics inside basically boil down to creation and destruction (yin and yang), so he deconstructs the spells down to their component parts and then recreates them with his other half. Which requires him to keep them separated with that hula hoop thing.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AfroSquirrel posted:

The biggest fanservice was the Mayflower III. And suddenly, INTERSTELLAR MAGICAL SPACESHIPS

This is the best part of the chapter. I nearly had a heart attack; I thought that was a pusher plate on the end for a moment. I'm imagining magic-catalyzed fusion pulse space ships.

Akamatsu, give this to me. Now.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
[quote="" post="459204379"]
The mass naked child event has gone on long enough. Embarrased Kirie is boring. Naked Kirie is bad. I mean poo poo, there is no point in reading an akamatsu manga if you are allergic to fanservice, but this is a bit much.
[/quote]

Also shows how boringly similar Touta's harem (and by extension UQ holder since this current arc) is, all the stripped children look identical and act identically

Akamatsu really is a weak writer. Great concepts, great artistic detail, and decent characterization when he remembers, but this is really the most boring drivel that he could have taken the concept of "consequences of immortality" and fan favorite Eva to. Making even Eva a boring character is a crime.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Not everything has to be deep and serious all the time. I don't really mind the silly race subplot in theory, but in practice it has been mostly an excuse for akamatsu to draw naked children.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's hard to show the consequences of immortality when all the immortal characters are basically in their teens anyway. You'd need a huge timeskip (probably multiple timeskips, actually) to make that concept meaningful, and the series has given me no reason to think it might care to do something like that.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 27, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

At any rate, the sooner this arc ends, the better.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Silento posted:

Personally, I enjoy both Akamatsu's plots and his comedy. It's certainly less offensive than early Negima; there aren't naked middle schoolers in every chapter. Only some of them!

Nooo turn left Akamatsu!!

I just said this last week :smith:

The non-naked girl part of the chapter was cool, though!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think any identicallity is more due to anime itself being really same-y than them not having characters...

Like same-face syndrome, but for fanservice

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 27, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Just giving this a thumbs-up for the great little GITS reference.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm really starting to think that my previous post about some editorial decision changing the direction (and even genre to an extent) of this series might be correct. It's been almost entirely harem romcom shenanigans for a really long time now. I'm sure they'll get around to progressing the plot at some point, but it seems like a secondary goal of the series at this point (with the primary goal just being "there are a lot of girls interested in the MC who frequently get naked").

It's a shame, because I've enjoyed the way the series has dealt with Touta's progression in terms of fighting abilities. In particular, I've been wanting to see how his new ability to regenerate much faster will affect his fighting style (and that of his opponents).

I don't think the "embarassed Kirie LOL" stuff is particularly convincing. If you like (partially underage) harem romcoms with a lot of fanservice, just admit it. Don't try to act like this is somehow something different and better.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 27, 2016

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

They showed off the Negi and Crew thing so that they can telegraph a dark/deep ending to this race. I don't think anyone will win it, something will happen near the finish line.

I don't mind the arc. It's a cool action sequence one way or another... though, yes, all of the "nudity" makes everyone kinda look the same, moreso than in Negima.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Skychrono posted:

They showed off the Negi and Crew thing so that they can telegraph a dark/deep ending to this race. I don't think anyone will win it, something will happen near the finish line.

I don't mind the arc. It's a cool action sequence one way or another... though, yes, all of the "nudity" makes everyone kinda look the same, moreso than in Negima.

Negi will show up near the end of the race and the sight of all the young girls getting stripped naked will remind him so much of his teacher days that he will regain his mind. He does one of his super sneezes, causing the Mage of the Beginning to exit his body, stripping her in the process. She gets so embarrassed that she abandons her sinister plans and joins the party for more wacky harem shenanigans.

The End.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm just numb to naked anime girls in akamatsu stuff I guess. The no nipple strategy was successful; I just blink and turn the page.

I'm a broken man.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shinjobi posted:

I'm just numb to naked anime girls in akamatsu stuff I guess. The no nipple strategy was successful; I just blink and turn the page.

I'm a broken man.

If this isn't you with anime/manga fanservice in general, get out while you still can.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I mean, yeah, it's basically the same with that. One of my favorite manga out right now is Prison School, where the fanservice is so over the top I end every chapter laughing like a psychopath. Fanservice is just one of those things: if it's going to happen, you hope there's a point to it. If there's not a point to it, you hope you don't walk away from a series needing to talk to a therapist. A dangerous game.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

I mean, yeah, it's basically the same with that. One of my favorite manga out right now is Prison School, where the fanservice is so over the top I end every chapter laughing like a psychopath. Fanservice is just one of those things: if it's going to happen, you hope there's a point to it. If there's not a point to it, you hope you don't walk away from a series needing to talk to a therapist. A dangerous game.

I think it depends whether fan-service exists as a primary or secondary focus. Prison School is obviously primarily a comedy, with fan-service as a secondary characteristic. Other manga have fan-service as the primary goal, with the plot merely existing as a means by which to deliver the fan-service.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya posted:

I think it depends whether fan-service exists as a primary or secondary focus. Prison School is obviously primarily a comedy, with fan-service as a secondary characteristic. Other manga have fan-service as the primary goal, with the plot merely existing as a means by which to deliver the fan-service.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Eh, I'm not going to chide the author for drawing fanservice for young boys in his comic for young boys.

That said, I have no interest in seeing that stuff (surprise, I'm not the target demo) and will drop UQ Holder until the main plot is back at the forefront. The immortality concept is super interesting and I really enjoy his characters!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The moment the camera gets off Kirie, we (Myself included) revolt like a bunch of WWE Marks.

We're adorable.

But I do get it; I could do without seeing Mizore (who is she even a refrence to in Negima?) in a one page spread in the buff.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

She's class rep's great granddaughter.

book
Nov 29, 2014

ConanThe3rd posted:

But I do get it; I could do without seeing Mizore (who is she even a refrence to in Negima?) in a one page spread in the buff.

I agree. We should be seeing Ayaka instead.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

book posted:

I agree. We should be seeing Ayaka instead.

Negima has you covered. And Ayaka uncovered.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I just want to see Ayaka do something. Teasing all these half-cameos and doing nothing with them is killing me.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

HellCopter posted:

I just want to see Ayaka do something. Teasing all these half-cameos and doing nothing with them is killing me.

She's literally supposed to be like 100 so I doubt she is going to do much.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Angry Grimace posted:

She's literally supposed to be like 100 so I doubt she is going to do much.

Age-reducing pills are a thing that exists in this universe.

On the flipside, kind of surprised Kirië hasn't broken into Eva's stash of age-increasing pills yet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think those pills change physical abilities at all. So, if Ayaka took one strong enough to de-age her into a young woman she would still be stuck in a wheelchair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

New Chapter.

• Locked thread