Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

it was a completely ordinary save file.

wasn't that the game that already had a ghost npc in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ifXK7m1518
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yirywWYnxvU

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 27, 2016

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

bill ate so many donuts

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

wasn't that the game that already had a ghost npc in it

I believe you have me confused with Something Awful forums poster "GameFAQs dot com".

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 27, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

If its space warfare, I am ok with that. I kinda want to see cod to weird space adventures.

So apperently homefront released a ton of trailers explaining the new backstory. the old one from the first game that no one cared about got canned.

apparently in new backstory, NK becomes democratic state after the soviets are pushed out in 53. it basically becomes massive tech hub like japan and one giant super company called apple I mean Apex takes the for front. basically it sells/designs and makes most of the technology of the world from smartphones/tablits to guns and millitary poo poo. Eventualy the son of the owner gets ellected to head the north Korean government as well as be magic CEO of apex. mean while the US is economicaly hosed from several forever wars in the US and is a poo poo ton of debt from military spending. North Korea calls it in and killswitchs the armed forces. idk occupy and stuff. seems interesting and different enough from what i was expecting. Its Basicaly far cry with more side missions and less animals in phillie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk10PzMRPmE&src_vid=fkAYv-ay4Bc&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_513982347

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkAYv-ay4Bc

Its also made by brits so i doubt it will go for retard trumpist. I kinda liked the last one because i dig alternate history, no matter how retarded.

I really don't like the idea that North Korea becomes a first world power but they are still evil because they are North Korea. That's hosed up.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

smell this posted:

have your animal crossing chums visit your miitomo room

have my miitomo mii visit Athens (animal crossing town) katana and all

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I played the first episode of Tales From the Borderlands! At first I was nonplussed, the game felt stiff, but it's real good! Maybe one set-piece too long, but I enjoyed it and will play Episode Two right now!

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

I believe you have me confused with Something Awful forums poster "GameFAQs dot com".

No, he's right, there's a spooky ghost girl in pokemon x that nobody can explain.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Snak posted:

I really don't like the idea that North Korea becomes a first world power but they are still evil because they are North Korea. That's hosed up.

true. But i dont give enough of a poo poo anymore. The game looks alright and looks like they are least trying to work with a setting/idea that was hosed from the beginning.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

GameFAQS.txt

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Maybe I will do a "Nuzlocke". Are there any Nuzlocke experts who can help walk me through the various optional rules?

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 27, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

rule one is do a nuzlocke until you don't want to use a monster anymore and find one you do want to use

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Snak posted:

The only people in the world that like North Korea are Chinese bankers. This makes them easy to villainize, much like any alt history from ww2 era always has Hitler as the bad guy.

Speaking of both, I want a wolfenstein in the USA.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Holy moly Nioh is hard. Pretty much Ninja Gaiden mixed with Dark Souls. I've played several hours and haven't made it to the second shrine.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nasgate posted:

The only people in the world that like North Korea are Chinese bankers. This makes them easy to villainize, much like any alt history from ww2 era always has Hitler as the bad guy.

Speaking of both, I want a wolfenstein in the USA.

the new order sequel will probably go there. its being announced at e3 apparently.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the new order sequel will probably go there. its being announced at e3 apparently.
makes sense, the first game went to London, and Man in the High Castle is super popular right now

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

the first wild pokemon was a pidgey. very well...i accept this.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

wait does poison no longer hurt you outside of battle? that owns

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dapper_Swindler posted:

NM I guess its a Wolfenstien game.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 27, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
stellaris next week bitches

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

stellaris next week bitches

someone seems to have replaced your av with a bad one.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This Ni-oh game is kicking my rear end. Is it really smart to make one of the first enemies I meet capable of one-shotting me with any basic attack? I like a challenge, but this game's a bit of a ball buster right out the gate.

EDIT: Okay, so this game doesn't gently caress around. Combat is kind of neat, there's a lot of systems here. Swords hit like wet tissue paper though, and I don't quite understand half of these variables for damage and the like. Axes work nicely, and are the only weapon I've managed to actually kill groups of enemies with; normally if you take on more than one at a time you're liable to get hosed. Stamina management is very unforgiving as well, and it's easy to overexert yourself. I think I'm playing too aggressively.

EDIT EDIT: it's very challenging

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 27, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Quest For Glory II posted:

i'm impressed that kings quest has made it to episode 3 without running out of money yet

what's so surprising, homestuck fans were able to throw money at stupid poo poo

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nasgate posted:

Yeah, except Hitler is the bad guy, not Germany. If you made a setting where Hitler never existed and WW2 didn't happen, but then whoever was in charge of first world Germany in the 60s started the Holocaust, that would be hosed up. The implication is that North Korea and Nazi Germany aren't products of their situations and ideology, but fated to be evil because they are North Korea and Germany. That's hosed up. I mean, I get alternate history, but when it's both lazy and offensive, I'm not gonna be charmed by it. There has to be a good hook, an interesting what-if.

Make it so the American civil war happened after ww2, and first world NK backed the south. The Confederacy is now real-world South Korea, and the United Northern States of America are the backwater renegades.

Okay that's just as dumb.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I checked Steam to see if it had any old Wizardry games up and Wizardry 6 is on sale for 150% off

pretty mad they won't give me $2.50 to take it

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Nioh is extremely good, though it needs a little more time in the oven, certainly. The core mechanics work great; combat especially is really strategic; there's a need to be quick and aggressive, but the game expects you to fight like a samurai, and that means being patient and waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike. The block in this game, despite the absence of a shield, is actually very very good and is a key component to movement in combat, which is also quite different from Dark Souls.

The level design is pure souls though. Lots of shortcuts, ladders to kick down, pitfalls, vertical levels. The intro area is okay, but the area after it is really loving cool to explore, even if I'm just getting wrecked by every other monster and his mother. The enemies in this game dont' gently caress around, and I think that some have a fair bit too much health.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

someone left their copy of pokemon x lying around on campus. guess i own pokemon x now.

You should return it maybe? Like was it just the cartridge lying in a classroom?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Every shootmans is halo now

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Snak posted:

I mean, I get alternate history, but when it's both lazy and offensive, I'm not gonna be charmed by it. There has to be a good hook, an interesting what-if.
I agree but also a friendly reminder:

What I'm saying is that subtlety and nuance is not the biggest strength of CoD-like FPS games' devs.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like the red alert series of alt history stuff, and also the shadow hearts alt history stuff. homefront never sounded that interesting, tho isn't the whole "north korea" thing just them subbing in north korea for china? I read somewhere that the original idea involved china but north korea was subbed in later in order to try to avoid losing sales in china. Is any of that true?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yup.

Same thing happened with the Red Dawn remake.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nothing says artistic integrity like being too afraid to offend the villains in your jingoistic fantasy.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm glad that now people have mostly finished DS3 the thread has turned to utter poo poo.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FirstAidKite posted:

I like the red alert series of alt history stuff, and also the shadow hearts alt history stuff. homefront never sounded that interesting, tho isn't the whole "north korea" thing just them subbing in north korea for china? I read somewhere that the original idea involved china but north korea was subbed in later in order to try to avoid losing sales in china. Is any of that true?
Homefront's alt history is hilarious because one of the major turning points was that potato man Kim Jong Un got South Korea to relinquish its independence to North Korea peacefully through his shining charisma.

Like Albert Einstein going back in time and successfully assassinating Hitler is more believable than that.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lizard Wizard posted:

Maybe I will do a "Nuzlocke". Are there any Nuzlocke experts who can help walk me through the various optional rules?
For a more hosed up game, Wonder Trade away everything you capture until you have a full team of random bullshit, then Wonder Trade away anyone who faints. Or combine the two and only capture one mon per route and Wonder Trade it, then release any who faint so you have attrition.

My main Nuzlocke advice would be throw your fainted guys in the Box rather than release them so when you inevitably get tired of Nuzlocke you can still go back and finish the game

You can also just relax the rules and let yourself have two per route or take a mulligan if the first thing you meet is lovely or excuse yourself from dismissing anyone who gets OHKO'd or really whatever the hell you make up. Nuzlocke was kind of made to give people who have played Pokémon for too long something to do, but for a newcomer it mostly means lovely long grinding stints, TM abuse, and cheap deaths.

Then again you're probably better off not grinding if you want real tension and nasty surprises

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 27, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm glad that now people have mostly finished DS3 the thread has turned to utter poo poo.
Poise is the new Adaptability.

So yesterday in DS3 I found a side area and a boss. There's no fog door for the boss so it sorta a surprise. Anyway I kill the boss at a second attempt and quit for the night. BF comes home and I tell him about the side path but not the boss, mainly cause the boss appearing is kinda cool.

What I do forget though is that he has 24k souls he's saving up because he wants to unhollow. Anyway I figure he can collect the souls again without an issue. He dies. Then after spawning he randomly picks a fight with dudes he can completely ignore and move on. He dies again.

Then we find out that it's better if he unhollows through other means then the firekeeper and he was saving up all those souls for nothing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

yikes

e: kinda funny though to see a fanbase go from a niche to your typical heaving mass of insufferable dudes screaming at each other for how they rank poo poo they all ostensibly like in just 7 years

Motto fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 27, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Every souls related thread in games suck rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Bloodborne thread is good because I'm actually okay at that game and can give new people advice :(

• Locked thread