Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Horsebanger posted:

They are both on the LP Archive.

I still hold out hope of an end to Wiz Islam is the Light LP, but not holding my breath.

I was thinking of writing a bit of fanon for that on how Russia went from the beacon of democracy to a fascism-light hellhole.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yarville
Jun 14, 2013
Finally caught up on this. Great work!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Crowsbeak posted:

I was thinking of writing a bit of fanon for that on how Russia went from the beacon of democracy to a fascism-light hellhole.

Russia's betrayal of its revolutionary principles was really depressing. :smith: But at least Azerbaijan is keeping the light of liberty alive!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Empress Theonora posted:

Russia's betrayal of its revolutionary principles was really depressing. :smith: But at least Azerbaijan is keeping the light of liberty alive!

I was hoping glorious Anatolia would restore the light to them. :(

Who were you on AH.com?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Empress Theonora posted:

They should've just tried to restore Rome, then they'd have been fine.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
935 years ago today, Alexios I Komnenos was crowned emperor of Rome.

wow this LP sure has been running for a while

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Sneak peek of ByzLP HOI4:

(found this on Steam)

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 23, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

(found this on Steam)

Pictured: the dreaded guerre éclair in action.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Hah, I just realized that the thread is started under your old name.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Empress Theonora posted:

Pictured: the dreaded guerre éclair in action.

Shouldn't that be bellum fulguris or something like that?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Speaking of HoI4, is there any rough concept of what the Focus Trees are going to look like for each country/Which countries will end up getting focus trees once it is modded?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

(found this on Steam)

This thing is so completely illegal.

To the Athens community re-education facility with you.

YOU SHALL NOT CONSPIRE TO RESTORE ROME.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Speaking of HoI4, is there any rough concept of what the Focus Trees are going to look like for each country/Which countries will end up getting focus trees once it is modded?

How many countries get focus trees depends on how involved the process for modding them is. Optimistically, I'd like all of our endgame Victoria 2 Great Powers (Byzantium, Ming, Imperium Galliarum/France, Jaragua Commune/Ayiti, Japanese Republic, Marathas, Somalia) but since national focus trees are a good deal more complicated than, say, EU4 ideas, that might not be possible. At barest minimum, Byzantium, Ming, and Gaul will get trees, plus Britain and Japan's trees can probably be kludged together from their vanilla HoI 4 trees by changing the political/diplomatic stuff but leaving their industrial/military/tech stuff, since even though syndicalist Britain and revolutionary liberal Japan are pretty different from the OTL British and Japanese empires, they probably fight wars in similar ways and face similar challenges.

Here are some extremely vague thoughts on what the trees might be about-- but again, this is all for a game that hasn't even come out yet, so I don't know what's possible.

The Byzantines' tree could revolve around continuing to build on their industrial and technological might (I feel like the US tree might be a useful model here, but we haven't seen the whole thing uncropped yet) and trying to reform how awful their army officer corps is (maybe through something that emulates the vanilla French tree having options that remove its various starting maluses?). Diplomatically they can try to add other left-leaning countries to the Red Rose Pact, try to keep Ayiti in the Pact, and intervene in civil wars (possible candidates-- Germany? Iberia? Jaragua Commune if the RRP needs nerfing, or maybe Somalia or somewhere if Chinabloc needs nerfing). There might be options for picking fights with Gaul or China, but since Gaul's sole purpose to destroy Byzantium this might not be necessary. Maybe there will also be the possibility of leveraging their alliance with the liberals in Haida to closer ties with other liberals in Japan or Germany?

Gaul's military/tech stuff will probably resemble vanilla Germany's a lot? Diplomatically they'll have options to integrate their fascist satellite states into the Western Roman Empire, maybe chances to carve more pieces off of Germany, before ultimately they try to destroy Byzantium and reunite the Roman Empire.

Jaragua could have a choice between full participation in the RRP, lend-lease type aid, or having a coup and trying to bring the old Ayiti Federation back, maybe?

China could have branches to either establish Pacific hegemony (conquering the various southeast Asian minors, destroying Japan and Marathas once and for all, going after the Haida, etc.) or anti-Communist diplomacy (devil's deal with fascists to crush Communism, bringing Russia on board to attack Byzantium from the north?)

Britain's, again, probably resembles their vanilla tree, except for obviously all of the diplomacy stuff that's specific to OTL 1936. I'm not really sure what diplomatic choices they should get, since their role in like the last 100 years+ of the LP has been so fixed: our valiant, trustworthy, and reliable ally. Um, just don't mention that unfortunate misunderstanding in the Containment War.

Marathas, Japan, and Somalia are all kind of wildcards-- Marathas and Japan don't really fit into any of the three main blocs, but they also don't have any real reason to work together (one's an absolutist monarchy, and the other is a nation whose guiding principle is cutting the heads off of monarchs with swords). On the other hand, they both have been destroyed by China repeatedly and might cooperate on that basis. Japan's options might involve an alliance of convenience with the Red Rose Pact (well, it worked for the Haida!) or trying to lead their own "liberal" bloc?

Somalia, meanwhile, is loosely tied to China in its lategame V2 diplomacy, but there's not really any ideological tie-- they just wanted Japan out of their sphere of influence and an alliance with the Ming Empire was a blunt instrument to achieve that. I kind of want to shake things up there, though, since I've gotten bored with the "Maxamed Muzzafar: Still alive???" angle they've had since the end of EU4. Maybe they'll have a broad latitude to change their govtype and join any faction they please without the civil wars or revolution that would usually take?

All this is incredibly vague, so if anybody else has got any more concrete ideas I'd love to hear them.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

ThaumPenguin posted:

This thing is so completely illegal.

To the Athens community re-education facility with you.

YOU SHALL NOT CONSPIRE TO RESTORE ROME.

Always don't be not conspiring to restore the Roman Empire.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Don't Do What Domitian Don't Does

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Don't conspire to restore the Roman Empire.

Do it on your own, that's perfectly legal.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Empress Theonora posted:

Marathas, Japan, and Somalia are all kind of wildcards-- Marathas and Japan don't really fit into any of the three main blocs, but they also don't have any real reason to work together (one's an absolutist monarchy, and the other is a nation whose guiding principle is cutting the heads off of monarchs with swords). On the other hand, they both have been destroyed by China repeatedly and might cooperate on that basis. Japan's options might involve an alliance of convenience with the Red Rose Pact (well, it worked for the Haida!) or trying to lead their own "liberal" bloc?
Maybe Japan could have a choice between appeasement of China and alliance building against China, where building an alliance splits into building their own faction with China's other neighbours and cooperating with the Pact.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

sheep-dodger posted:

Maybe Japan could have a choice between appeasement of China and alliance building against China, where building an alliance splits into building their own faction with China's other neighbours and cooperating with the Pact.

Yeah, an appeasement path could work for Japan, too-- their war with China was before Zhang's coup, so there might be some factions in the Republic that are all like, "Now, him we can do business with!" (And they need somebody to do business with, since without Da Qin in their sphere of influence anymore they're probably hurting for oil.)

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Empress Theonora posted:

Yeah, an appeasement path could work for Japan, too-- their war with China was before Zhang's coup, so there might be some factions in the Republic that are all like, "Now, him we can do business with!" (And they need somebody to do business with, since without Da Qin in their sphere of influence anymore they're probably hurting for oil.)

Da Qin! :argh:

of all the people that got hiratined, why not the ones that deserved it most

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Remaining Romes: Gaul/WRE; Russia, Third Rome; Da Qin; The Imperium of Mann; whatever Dutch government in exile the surviving Yaroslavoviches wound up in after the fascists took Holland; and that's weird there seems to be this big red blob on the map that covers most of the traditional borders of the Roman Empire????? oh well it's probably nothing

oh man how cool would it have been if that weird german democracy that came after muller fell that used the habsburg flag for some reason called itself "the holy roman republic"???? talk about a missed opportunity

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Komitas I Branas was right all along

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Empress Theonora posted:

Remaining Romes: Gaul/WRE; Russia, Third Rome; Da Qin; The Imperium of Mann; whatever Dutch government in exile the surviving Yaroslavoviches wound up in after the fascists took Holland; and that's weird there seems to be this big red blob on the map that covers most of the traditional borders of the Roman Empire????? oh well it's probably nothing

oh man how cool would it have been if that weird german democracy that came after muller fell that used the habsburg flag for some reason called itself "the holy roman republic"???? talk about a missed opportunity

Eh, the Valerians can retroactively claim it as such.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Empress Theonora posted:

lol at the Yaroslavoviches being a Rome, accursed usurpers

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I posted about this on twitter a while back, but maybe I'll run it by the thread too--

General/Admiral portraits, in general, are coming together pretty nicely. I was worried about having to keep the portraits 50/50 male/female, but for a lot of the majors it's surprisingly easy. For Great Britain, there's troves of photos of WAAFs/WRACs/WAACs/WRNs/etc.; while women who served in the Soviet military or as partisans in Italy, Greece, Yugoslavia, etc. are good sources for Byzantine portraits. Somalia and Ayiti are a bit more challenging, but since photos of the United States military are so easy to come by, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of photos of black and Native American soldiers. For Japan and China I've been cheating a bit and using photos of female police officers, later photos I've just made black and white to fit in with the others, etc., but at least I know what I'm looking for. And for less important countries it matters less (and apparently they can just draw generic portraits from a pool, plus in the WWW stream Hungary had like three generals)

I'm having trouble with Gaul/WRE, though, which is a problem, since in the LP proper we'll be seeing more of those portraits than any others besides our own, since they'll be on all the battle results screens. It's basically constructing the rogue's gallery for the next part of the story, so I want to make sure they're memorable and good! So I had the dumb idea of making them all dress up like Roman soldiers. For the men, this at least seemed semi-doable, although combing through a bunch of photos of reenactors or blurry screencaps from Rome or I, Claudius is harder than just inhaling reams of period photos. But for ~*~*~some mysterious reason~*~*~ there aren't a ton of photographs of female Roman soldiers! rome sux I tried just collecting photos and classicist paintings of women in Roman dress in general, but in addition to not really looking general-like those are the same sorts of images I've been using for bohemian Byzantine politicians, so mostly they looked more like Evgenia Exteberria's university friends than hardened fascist war criminals.

So! I think I should probably choose a different gimmick for the WRE's portraits. I'm not really sure what to do, though, since I both want to avoid putting a bunch of IRL Nazis in my LP but also I don't want to use the portraits of people who actually died fighting fascism to be a bunch of fascist villains? Plus, the WRE is a weird place, and even if the Rome gimmick in particular doesn't work I like their idea of their portraits being set apart from the c. 1910s-1960s historical military uniforms of everywhere else.

Any thoughts or suggestions for this? Or, you know, if you're sitting on a treasure trove of photos of women legionary reenactors or stills from gender-blind productions of Coriolanus.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

It probably wouldn't be enough, but the Roman costumes from Titus with Anthony Hopkins are kind of the aesthetic your going for, yeah?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

It probably wouldn't be enough, but the Roman costumes from Titus with Anthony Hopkins are kind of the aesthetic your going for, yeah?

For some reason I always just assumed it was just a straight-up modern Rome thing like that 2011 Coriolanus film, but I looked it up and holy poo poo Julie Taymor's Titus has such an amazing bonkers historical hodgepodge aesthetic and I love it.

You're probably right about it not being enough, though. :smith:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I found quite a few candidates GISing 'female Roman centurion' and 'female Roman legionary'.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

AJ_Impy posted:

I found quite a few candidates GISing 'female Roman centurion' and 'female Roman legionary'.

There's a few good photos there, but a lot of them are peoples' art, which I'd a.) feel weird just taking and putting in a mod without permission and b.) often wouldn't fit with the others, especially since a lot of them are just sexy Roman legion pinups. (Which, well, nothing wrong with that but it's not what I'm looking for :v: )

EDIT: I'll take a closer look when I have more time, though; being able to salvage the Rome gimmick would be nice.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
Now I'm imagining the French painting sexy Roman legion pinups on the noses of their planes.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

theblastizard posted:

Now I'm imagining the French painting sexy Roman legion pinups on the noses of their planes.

Memphis Bellator.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

theblastizard posted:

LP canon.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Empress Theonora posted:

There's a few good photos there, but a lot of them are peoples' art, which I'd a.) feel weird just taking and putting in a mod without permission and b.) often wouldn't fit with the others, especially since a lot of them are just sexy Roman legion pinups. (Which, well, nothing wrong with that but it's not what I'm looking for :v: )

EDIT: I'll take a closer look when I have more time, though; being able to salvage the Rome gimmick would be nice.

Just draw some male Roman legion pinups to even the scales, everybody wins.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Maybe use pictures of roman-era or roman-style busts? As part of the far-right Roman revival, the French made busts of all their famous generals rather than took pictures?

Dunno how pictures of busts would look on screen but it works thematically.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

You could go more archaic slightly, using twenties or even Edwardian women? Have them be the backward-looking fascists in terms of fashion, rather than the futurist fascists of otl. Would open up revanchist French patriots to you as a resource.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Yeah, I kinda feel like insisting on Full Roman LARP is going to hold you back a bit.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Nationalism and ideologies that rely on it are all about idealized forms of masculinity and male virility. The man serves as the warrior, the defender of the nation, while the woman serves as the nation's progenitor, the literal symbol of the nation's future survival. There's a reason most nations are personified as young girls and mother figures. Nationalistic narratives tend to force men and women into very specific roles and abhors deviation from it. A woman who appears in a masculine role threatens the community with contamination and its ability to self-perpetuate. Shortly after Ihlas Basam, a Druze activist, appeared on television dressed in Western, unisex clothing, she was murdered for violating the role set aside for her. Similarly, female soldiers in war zones are often most threatened by their male colleagues who are outright hostile or refuse to take them seriously.

Though conceptions of womanhood are obviously different in this timeline, it wouldn't be outrageous for female leaders in the Fascist Western Roman Empire to channel the same ideas about nationality. For one, its a startlingly pervasive concept that was around even before this timeline's point of departure. Second, fascists tend to glorify the past and contrast it against the degraded present. As the source of Gaul's nationalistic narrative is Rome and Rome had very few female leaders, it would not seem outrageous for them to channel those attitudes into the present. Of course, a handful of women can fulfill "Joan of Arc" style roles, but the style of dress would probably be modeled on the "traditional Roman values," which means unthreatening stolas, pallas, and the like. It wouldn't surprise me if the fascists were putting women's rights back decades.

If you still want some hardcore female warrior paintings, then I would recommend looking up Renaissance and Neoclassical paintings of women like Tomyris, Boudicca, and Zenobia. While none of these women were Romans, Western painters have a tendency to dress them in faux-Roman clothing. Boudicca, in particular, seems a popular subject. There's several paintings of her in Versailles, but I can only find one online:

Titus Andronicus has been brought up, but I don't know if you really want to use Jessica Lange's costume.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
'Female national personifications' is actually a pretty useful angle of attack: They tend to be wearing classical helmets, laurel wreaths or Roman-style diadems.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

AJ_Impy posted:

'Female national personifications' is actually a pretty useful angle of attack: They tend to be wearing classical helmets, laurel wreaths or Roman-style diadems.

Propaganda poster of General Valeria Agrippina Caearis Brittanica, General of the Danube Legions. In Gallic propaganda, Brittanica is often presented as "mater familias," of the country and a defender against foreign hordes. Her victory parade in 1934 marked the revival of the old Roman practice of military triumphs. She is second only to the Valeria Imperatrix in national prominence.

Her victory title is derived from her leadership in a little-known victory over British forces during the Ayiti-Haida War of Honor. Her presence at the battle has been disputed.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Yeah there's a few pictures of Britannia in costume out there, there's a few pictures of Lady Woolverton as Britannia which are sort of the iconic ones people reproduce.

As a second suggestion, though they may not be technically in Roman dress, have a look for pictures of women dressed as Brunhilde from Wagner's Ring Cycle, whoever is playing Brunhilde has to wear armor and a feathered helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

General portraits are only from the shoulders up, anyway.

Valeria is like basically a living national personification anyway. I'm still trying to think of alternate ideas that might be a bit easier to pull off (part of me wants to just use American photos just because there's so many really good ones I've found and I feel like I'm just leaving them on the table since there's no America in the LP), but looking for representations of national personifications is a really good angle to take-- and thematically relevant to what Gaul stands for in the LP!

• Locked thread