Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is this where I ask about Armada? I plan on getting the core set and Home One, but what imperial expansion do I get so that both sides will be fairly even? Another Victory class? Or do I just go whole hog with the Imperial class?

Both sides have a pretty decently balanced counterpart in Rebel/Imperial. CR90 to Raider, Victory to Assault Frigate, Imperial to MC80, Gladiator to MC30. The only odd one out is the nebulon, really. The squadron packs are pretty balanced that way too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Excellent info guys, thanks.

Do any of you have this mat or one of the similar ones?

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/product/view/id/49450/s/ffgusws31/

Is it like a big mousepad that can be continually rolled up without curling too bad?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is it like a big mousepad that can be continually rolled up without curling too bad?

The FFG mats are really high quality. The do not have any curl after being left rolled up for weeks or months.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I bought an ffg mat and I like it a lot.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

I have one of each Death Star and a star field so that whichever Death Star is fought over looks somewhat normal, and not actually two Death Stars side by side.

It's good quality, and doesn't hold the roll like plastic mats usually do. My starfield, which is by far the one that sees the most use (and the one I got first) did fray a bit on one of the edges.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I still advocate for my extra wide yoga mat

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Obama 2012 posted:

Have any of you who've played Rebellion also played War of the Ring? The two seem to be in the same wheelhouse and I'd be interested to hear how they compare/contrast to one another.

The good guys have much less action advantage deficit and can be proactive, unlike wotr where evil had all the fun and good laid back and took it up the butt holding on long enough to dunk the ring.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 28, 2016

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They're basically high quality 3x3 mousepads. And yes, they can spend weeks rolled up and then just flop out gloriously smooth on the table.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Any advice for trying to play Armada with limited table space? The guys I normally play X-wing with have gotten into Armada, but the max table size we have is enough to support a 3x3 mat, and foot on each side for cards and not much else. Is there a point limit (300? 200?) or custom rules that would be recommended for playing the game on the small scale?

vvvThanks!!vvv

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 28, 2016

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Any advice for trying to play Armada with limited table space? The guys I normally play X-wing with have gotten into Armada, but the max table size we have is enough to support a 3x3 mat, and foot on each side for cards and not much else. Is there a point limit (300? 200?) or custom rules that would be recommended for playing the game on the small scale?

Every time ive played using the standard 400 points ive never used more than a 3x3 section of the required 6x3 map. Theres really no reason it has to be that big other than they wanted to sell twice as many maps. You should be fine with the space you have. Just use half the amount of asteroids you normally would.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Some of the ships need the extra bit of space on either side that a 6x3 play area provides. The VSDs may need the space just to prevent flying off the edge of the mat, and any of the ships that can go speed 4 may want the extra space to be able to flank better.

Also be aware that some of the objectives are designed for the bigger play space, and you may need to fiddle with them a bit. Mostly the blue objectives, as they want the obstacles spread out some.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah I think it is important, but more so in deployment. I think the small play space will advantage any fleet that relies heavily on black dice, so Imperials with Demolisher and Rebels with the MC30. Also it's important in dealing with congaing Ackbar fleets, to give you enough space to set up and try and deploy in such a way you aren't just flying right into the space all their guns are looking at. Not saying its impossible to play with 3x3, but there are situations where the bigger space is relevant.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah, once you get a few games in at 400 points using different kinds of fleets and different sets of objectives, it becomes quite clear that while the game might only take place in a fairly small area, the presence of all that open deployment zone, obstacles, and dead space will massively effect the way things go down. A conga line will want to try to force you through obstacles, for example, or point themselves towards a space station for some turn 5/6 regeneration.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Having similar space restrictions myself, I've found that it really changes the fighter dynamics, especially for the Imperials. A tight map makes all those speed 4 and speed 5 TIEs able to get into combat pretty much immediately, which in turn favors the Rhymerball type strategies.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

New preview of gozanti for Armada on ff's site

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

It looks like the flotillas will really help with squadrons. At 23 points with a squadron value of 2, that is a pretty effective way to churn out squadron activations. Throw in boosted comms, and the flotillas can hide behind your big ships all day long.

I also like how the scatter token essentially makes them immune to any of the brawler type ships out there (gladiator, raider, MC30).

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh Armada regional tomorrow. See you chumps there.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Strobe posted:

If that offer is still open in a week I might take you up on it (if BMG doesn't).

Kai Tave posted:

I'm actually strongly considering selling my Armada stuff because I've literally played two games of it and don't foresee ever playing it again. If you don't mind buying secondhand Big Mean Jerk, I'm willing to sell you all the stuff I've got for the price of a core set (one core set, an Assault Frigate, a CR90 and Nebulon B expac, and a Rebel Fighters pack).

Miniature Market still hasn't gotten round to processing my buybacks, which means I haven't ordered my Armada stuff yet. Don't wait for me, the offer is open for Strobe.

Side note: anyone know how long MM takes to process buybacks? They've had mine for a week now.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Miniature Market still hasn't gotten round to processing my buybacks, which means I haven't ordered my Armada stuff yet. Don't wait for me, the offer is open for Strobe.

Side note: anyone know how long MM takes to process buybacks? They've had mine for a week now.

All right, thanks for the heads up. Strobe and I are in contact so my Armada stuff is spoken for unless disaster strikes and god decides to send another flood my way.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Points are near what I'd expected, sadly a bit more than I'd hoped. Looks like I will be reducing my fighter compliment to include one with Comm Net, as I feel the extra activation and ability to get a token whenever you need it are worth 25 points. Sadly probably means I have to lose 3 squadrons to do so, giving up deployment advantage.

The new admiral is interesting, but I don't think he's as good defensively as Motti. I guess if your meta is infested with Intel Officers?

Eimi fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 30, 2016

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I missed like 9 consecutive dice rolls to turn a 9-1 win to a 6-4 loss and go from first by a mile to out of the running. gently caress my life so hard.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ranbo das posted:

I missed like 9 consecutive dice rolls to turn a 9-1 win to a 6-4 loss and go from first by a mile to out of the running. gently caress my life so hard.

drat that's rough. That's some terrible luck.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I was running a double ISD list.

First ISD death.
Need to roll 1 hit on three red dice to kill a MC30 and basically win -blank
Need black to not roll hit/crit and I win. Hit/crit. ISD dies.

Second ISD. At 8 hull vs 3 a wings and a corvette.
Need to roll 1 hit on an a wing to kill it with two blues. Miss. Reroll with leading shots. Miss.
Need to roll 1 hit on a different a wing to kill it with two blues. Same thing, miss.
Need him to not roll 5 damage on two reds and a blue. He rolls 5, brace to 3
Need him not to roll 3 damage on his side shot (one red one blue). Rolls 3, brace to 2.
3 a wings shoot, two of them the ones I missed at 1 health. All three hit. ISD dies.

I hate everything.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Thats why I run Vader commander. gently caress unmodified dice in this game

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

And that's with Leading Shots :eyepop:

I basically need some form of modification, though I prefer Motti as an admiral.

(Of course with Gozanti's I may have to cut ordnance experts from my VSD1 to fit it in and upgrade the random one of fighter to an ace.)

Like using the spoiled points values what I think I want to test is

quote:

Commander: Admiral Motti

Assault Objective: Opening Salvo
Defense Objective: Fire Lanes
Navigation Objective: Minefields

[ flagship ] Imperial II-Class Star Destroyer (120 points)
- Admiral Motti ( 24 points)
- Relentless ( 3 points)
- Gunnery Team ( 7 points)
- Electronic Countermeasures ( 7 points)
- Leading Shots ( 4 points)

Victory I-Class Star Destroyer (73 points)
- Ordnance Experts ( 4 points)

Gladiator II-Class Star Destroyer (62 points)
- Ordnance Experts ( 4 points)

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
- Comms Net ( 2 points)

1 "Howlrunner" ( 16 points)
1 Soontir Fel ( 18 points)
1 TIE Advanced Squadron ( 12 points)
1 TIE Interceptor Squadron ( 11 points)
1 TIE Fighter Squadron ( 8 points)

But of course the normal TIE seems really weak. I could lose either Relentless, really not a fan of that, or Ordnance on my VSD to upgrade it to Mauler.

Oh wait I can't math, I'd have to lose 5 points not 4. So I guess it's do I keep a single TIE, or pimp something out for 10 points? The obvious option is Demo and be at 400.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 1, 2016

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Showed up to the twice monthly Armada league this afternoon hoping to get some practice and maybe a gimmick list game or two in before regionals next week. I was the only person there. I left after about 20 minutes.

:negative:

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Reynold posted:

Showed up to the twice monthly Armada league this afternoon hoping to get some practice and maybe a gimmick list game or two in before regionals next week. I was the only person there. I left after about 20 minutes.

:negative:

So did you get any prizes?!

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

ranbo das posted:

I was running a double ISD list.

First ISD death.
Need to roll 1 hit on three red dice to kill a MC30 and basically win -blank
Need black to not roll hit/crit and I win. Hit/crit. ISD dies.

Second ISD. At 8 hull vs 3 a wings and a corvette.
Need to roll 1 hit on an a wing to kill it with two blues. Miss. Reroll with leading shots. Miss.
Need to roll 1 hit on a different a wing to kill it with two blues. Same thing, miss.
Need him to not roll 5 damage on two reds and a blue. He rolls 5, brace to 3
Need him not to roll 3 damage on his side shot (one red one blue). Rolls 3, brace to 2.
3 a wings shoot, two of them the ones I missed at 1 health. All three hit. ISD dies.

I hate everything.

Pittsburgh Regionals, right?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Val Helmethead posted:

Pittsburgh Regionals, right?

Yup. Hi Biggs, gratz on the win.

ranbo das fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 2, 2016

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Well I just played the game that, if I quit playing Armada I can point to that game as why. Friend's loaded Ackbar list with MC80, AF mk 2, and MC30 all with XI-7s, MC80 had more stuff but also Home One. The combination of guaranteed accuracy and XI-7 was like the worst thing to play against. I felt so utterly helpless it was like my good rolls were entirely neutralized, but even his bad rolls mattered. I guess that's the power of XI-7, but XI-7 and Home One meant I had no options whatsoever when he got good rolls. I don't know if XI-7 is overpowered, if my list is just gods awful or other stuff needs to be changed, but that just felt terrible to play against.

In particular if accuracy was more like a stronger Intel Officer, and IO just guaranteed it, so like if you're accuracy you can discard a healthy token, can't use a red, or something. Comparing XI-7 to Heavy Turbolasers is pretty laughable too at just how strictly better XI-7 is.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

There is a reason that most people advocate putting electronic countermeasures on any medium or large ship that can take it. When that MC80 or ISD comes a knocking, being able to brace no matter what they roll will usually keep your ship alive a minimum of one extra turn if not more.

XI-7 are very strong, but they are not overpowered. It just magnifies the importance of positioning and engineering commands. Always remember that it is only a single engineering point to move shields around. It can be way more useful to move all the shields from a side in the clear to the side taking fire than to regen 1or 2 points on that exposed side.

I do agree that heavy Turbolasers are not as strong as XI-7, but if the HTs always made brace only reduce 1 damage, then they would be pretty massively overpowered. I haven't used them much, but I think HT may be better in the absence of accuracy results, but no accuracy results on large ships with lots of dice is unlikely.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sadly as an Imperial the list of ships with ECM begins and ends with ISD-2. And yeah you are probably right in that they aren't overpowered, and maybe as more turbolaser options that aren't terrible appear there will be more competition for that slot. Of course in terms of defense tokens, the simple fact that XI-7 counter a defense token that ships are more likely to have two of, while HTT is a token most ships only have one of, further shows why HTT is just the worst.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Hot drat, I didn't realise what a beast the Gladiator Star Destroyer could be at close range. The Demolisher title, a gunnery team, expanded launchers, and Admiral Screed results in an insane number of black dice throwing out enough criticals to destroy an Assault Frigate in one turn.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Double post to ask for clarification on how defence tokens work.

If you use a defence token to mitigate damage, you flip it over to the exhausted/red side. If you use it again then you have to discard it. What I'm not clear on is if you can reset the token at the start of the next round or if it remains exhausted once used for the first time. The manual and reference guide are somewhat ambiguous about this.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

kim jong-illin posted:

Double post to ask for clarification on how defence tokens work.

If you use a defence token to mitigate damage, you flip it over to the exhausted/red side. If you use it again then you have to discard it. What I'm not clear on is if you can reset the token at the start of the next round or if it remains exhausted once used for the first time. The manual and reference guide are somewhat ambiguous about this.

Tokens will reset at the end of the turn, unless you have a crit which does not allow you to reset them. The crit itself is very clear though, so you should know when you have it.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

gently caress yes. Won my first game of Rebellion as the Empire. Was gonna lose, knew where the rebel base was, but had no ships that weren't already locked in place. Opponent initiated ground combat on a planet right next to the rebel base, I purposefully lost, and retreated with a large force to the base to win the game. Rebellion is loving amazing.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Anyone else going to Indianas Armada regional next week?

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Too far out for me this week, sadly. Good luck!

ranbo das posted:

Yup. Hi Biggs, gratz on the win.

Congrats on 3rd place. Would have been fun to have you vs (me / Chris) and (me / Chris) vs Chuck for top 2 tables. I didn't realize your bad dice were... that bad.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Eimi posted:

Well I just played the game that, if I quit playing Armada I can point to that game as why. Friend's loaded Ackbar list with MC80, AF mk 2, and MC30 all with XI-7s, MC80 had more stuff but also Home One. The combination of guaranteed accuracy and XI-7 was like the worst thing to play against. I felt so utterly helpless it was like my good rolls were entirely neutralized, but even his bad rolls mattered. I guess that's the power of XI-7, but XI-7 and Home One meant I had no options whatsoever when he got good rolls. I don't know if XI-7 is overpowered, if my list is just gods awful or other stuff needs to be changed, but that just felt terrible to play against.

In particular if accuracy was more like a stronger Intel Officer, and IO just guaranteed it, so like if you're accuracy you can discard a healthy token, can't use a red, or something. Comparing XI-7 to Heavy Turbolasers is pretty laughable too at just how strictly better XI-7 is.

Don't feel too bad about it. In a week or so hopefully I'll get Kai Tave's stuff delivered and you can beat up on me to feel better. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Strobe posted:

Don't feel too bad about it. In a week or so hopefully I'll get Kai Tave's stuff delivered and you can beat up on me to feel better. :v:

Heh, well Armada and XWing are hungering for my dollars, and XWing is kind of winning right now. Especially when I'm like I need a Rebel Transport...but what if I get an Imperial Raider as well for Juno and a girl power list? :ohdear:

Please let there be some good deals on the 4th.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 2, 2016