Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

SuperHappy posted:

Finally gave in and bought Legends last week, and it's been a fun revisit. Liking the tweaks, the slightly new missions and goals placed here and there, the character-switching, the retcon of Cia's death, and the monster that is Linkle.

Not sure how I feel about having four Adventure maps to get through before DLC even comes in, which honestly seems like overkill :sweatdrop: We're getting the same weapon upgrades as before, except they're a lot more spread out, and there's only so much gaming I can do!

Still, it's pretty fun. The tweaks have made things easier to get through, for the most part, though now that I'm in the Master Quest, I'm finding the old 4000 damage limit wall starting to come up more often. Unfortunately, unlocking Link's Magic Sword is one of those "lol, get hit twice and you'll have to restart!" stages. Maybe it's time to find more Skulltulas and unlock the "permanent Arrow upgrade" potion. Yeah, I remember that. Do I want to go through it again? I don't know, but I probably will. I don't think I've even seen a stage with a 10000-limit cap yet. Surely they exist, though, right?

As for the Skulltula collecting, I'm liking the new Legend missions for Skulltula #2, for the most part. That "kill The Imprisoned in under 10 minutes" one, though. I get to him with 2 minutes left, think to myself, "this MIGHT be doable", then I hit him with a weak-point attack and... take off about 9% of his HP. :v: Is grinding levels and coming back the only option there, or am I missing something?

The Groosenator will do like half of his health in a single shot if you let him get to it. There are two, so you can just kill him that way.

Also, I've blasted enemies clean through the walls of Clifftop Keep in the Gerudo Desert three times now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
The Groosenatorrr... :doh: I forgot that it does inflict damage on Imprisoned during the cutscenes. Even though I just did that fight a few days ago during the initial campaign, I still forgot.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
I wish there was still co-op play.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I consider the help of weapons, rupees, and materials that I get from my amiibo friends to be co-op.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Man, the Ganondorf Lv. 4 Trident Mission... It's not particularly hard and the the unsafety of the Trident is alright since it's on the Red Zone (so I lose A Rank if I get 10000 worth of damage instead of 4000), but man does it feel like I could have done that mission faster if I had used the Great Swords.

It's Ganondorf's old Odolwa's Remains Costume mission by the way. The costume itself has been moved to the first accessible Red Zone mission.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ugh I have to get all the level 4 weapons to start unsealing the Master Sword? Sheesh. I finally beat the Master Quest map and now I have to nearly beat two more full maps before I can start grinding for that

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Ugh I have to get all the level 4 weapons to start unsealing the Master Sword? Sheesh. I finally beat the Master Quest map and now I have to nearly beat two more full maps before I can start grinding for that

Yep. Or at least to unseal the last skill on it. (And you need both skills unsealed on the Master Sword in order to get Legendary... which raises your weapons to a whopping 560 before stars now.)

Also, I have now beaten the Demon King on all the maps. :toot: I think I have a good hang on how difficult the maps are too, and the Demon Kings are in the same order as well: Original -> Great Sea -> Master Quest -> Twilight -> Termina.

Also, the best way to farm weapons now is to do the "KO 1000 enemies before Rogue Forces" (restricted to Ganondorf until A Rank) one on the Termina Map due to the double weapon drops. Pick the character you want the weapon for, and then pick one of the best crowdclearers (like Ganondorf) and kill as many officers and characters as you can. Works well for money-making too since you'll inevitably sell off the redundant weapons. The biggest difference from the Wii U version Apothecary-wise is that you want one of the Weapon Rank potions (the higher rank the better) instead of the Weapon Slot ones.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

SuperHappy posted:

Still, it's pretty fun. The tweaks have made things easier to get through, for the most part, though now that I'm in the Master Quest, I'm finding the old 4000 damage limit wall starting to come up more often. Unfortunately, unlocking Link's Magic Sword is one of those "lol, get hit twice and you'll have to restart!" stages. Maybe it's time to find more Skulltulas and unlock the "permanent Arrow upgrade" potion. Yeah, I remember that. Do I want to go through it again? I don't know, but I probably will. I don't think I've even seen a stage with a 10000-limit cap yet. Surely they exist, though, right?

The 10000 damage stages are the red levels on the top two rows of the map, plus a few arbitrary stages that are considered to be harder than usual- mostly ones that force you to use Ganondorf, AFAIK. There's a map floating around that lists the damage requirements on each map along with a few other things, I think it was linked just a page or two ago.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

BTW has any of you guys found a team of characters you like to use and who syenergizes well with one another? I've been using Ganondorf (both weapons, but Trident really appreciates team players) with Wizzro and/or Zant.

The team basically works like this: Ganondorf with Great Swords is incredibly self-sufficient and an expert mook killer and damage dealer, but he appreciates team members who are better at reducing the WPG of the Imprisoned to zero (Ganondorf with Great Swords can do this, but the timing is incredibly tight for him so he does appreciate this in a teammate), or who can take out key commanders while Ganondorf is elsewhere, or who are about as self-sufficient as him. Besides the obvious good teammates in Master Sword and Volga who are both top tier characters, Wizzro and Zant can both do this, with Wizzro being better at killing the Imprisoned, while Zant being more self-sufficient since picking Wizzro means Ganondorf has to do most of the mook killing and keep clearing as well.

When Ganondorf has the trident however, his capabilities are reduced however, especially in terms of boss killing (he can no longer reduce every boss's WPG to zero, and while can take down most bosses' WPG, it's pretty hard and complex for him to do so with the exception of Argorok), against character enemies, and against multiple officers/characters, and his mook killing capabilities, while still great, are nowhere near the Great Swords, which makes him further want teammates who can do those. Wizzro fullfills every criteria with the exception of killing mooks which Ganondorf can still do rather easily, albeit in a reduced capacity compared to the Great Swords, while Zant fullfills all of them (though his capabilities against character enemies and giant bosses are a bit worse than Wizzro's).

Another thing I've found is that Young Link is an incredibly bad teammate (albeit self-sufficient, so if Young Link is picked as a team member, you're better off switching to Young Link and staying as Young Link for the entire mission).

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah, I usually go with Volga as threatkiller with GS Ganondorf. Commanding Dorf from keep to keep (switching when he gets there, taking the keep then swapping back) while Volga seeks and destroys any player characters or priority targets on the map. Double Bombos fairy helps Volga a lot, as well as helps utterly shred any giant bosses (can easily knock off a WPS off the number required to kill on things like the Imprisoned). Volga takes the giant bosses, obviously.

I mean I kind of value not letting enemies strike back, and Volga excels at that because he can just juggle someone for ages with C2. Or alternate C2 and C3 if your timing is good enough.

Young Link is entirely ridiculous, though, yes. He has absolutely no trouble in just wading into a crowd of five or six officers and emerging without a scratch.

But then again I'm still a massive fan of Great Fairy Link, because she's utterly ridiculous sometimes. C1 powered special attacks can take out officers without ever letting them even try to get a hit off. Under Bombos I've seen her wipe an end of stage commander in two.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

If theres a boss I take Wizzro because he's the best at killing boss WPG easy and without much effort, and also he's my friend.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I like Master Sword Link, Trident Ganondorf, and Skull Kid or Nohannson. MS link clears keeps and easily takes down giant boss WPGs (C4-w-w-s-repeat). C2-w-w-s is there for the occasional officer. Trident Dorf is a lot like Volga, in that I can stun lock almost anyone, especially since he's so quick. Skull Kid and Nohannson are there for hectic, multi-officer situations (C3 on either). If I'm taking too much damage I'll just switch to Link and C3 from a distance, though it's typically slower than the other options.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
So does taking out a Silver Cucco in adventure mode even DO anything? I have never noticed something happen as a result of killing it or ignoring it.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Any general tips for getting enough kills to get A-ranks in the first Adventure mode map in HW Legends? I've finished Legend mode already, I just need to start actually unlocking and beating levels on the map so I can get more/better weapons and more characters. I can usually avoid damage and finish fast when I play right, but I don't know the kill requirements for most of the maps I've unlocked, and I often have a difficult time actually locating big clusters of enemies to mow down (or when I do find a cluster, only a few of them spawn in).

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Are you playing on a regular 3ds/3dsXL? The new 3dsXL I use typically doesn't have this problem. A good solution would be to make a lot of use of fairy nukes, since they hit unloaded enemies. Not always possible, I realize.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Any general tips for getting enough kills to get A-ranks in the first Adventure mode map in HW Legends? I've finished Legend mode already, I just need to start actually unlocking and beating levels on the map so I can get more/better weapons and more characters. I can usually avoid damage and finish fast when I play right, but I don't know the kill requirements for most of the maps I've unlocked, and I often have a difficult time actually locating big clusters of enemies to mow down (or when I do find a cluster, only a few of them spawn in).

Kill requirement is almost universally 1200 unless its a KO race or rack up the KO map.

Usually you get there by clearing neutral keeps when you can, using your fairy magic in large groups (it is the only attack that can hit unrendered enemies) and farming keeps by purposefully not killing the boss.

You can usually get 2-300 KOs in the final keep alone if thats the end goal of the map just as collateral from whaling on the boss.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

mastajake posted:

Are you playing on a regular 3ds/3dsXL? The new 3dsXL I use typically doesn't have this problem. A good solution would be to make a lot of use of fairy nukes, since they hit unloaded enemies. Not always possible, I realize.

New3DSXL.I've tried using my fairy nuke, as mentioned earlier in the thread, but it doesn't seem to really do much or score many KOs - just damage enemies to the point of near-death.

Zore posted:

farming keeps by purposefully not killing the boss.

I might try this, though - that's not a bad idea. What I probably should do is slow down a bit - I tend to clear the maps a little too fast, and that's probably what's hurting me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ZZT the Fifth posted:

New3DSXL.I've tried using my fairy nuke, as mentioned earlier in the thread, but it doesn't seem to really do much or score many KOs - just damage enemies to the point of near-death.

I might try this, though - that's not a bad idea. What I probably should do is slow down a bit - I tend to clear the maps a little too fast, and that's probably what's hurting me.

Is your fairy wearing clothing that boosts its damage?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Zore posted:

Is your fairy wearing clothing that boosts its damage?

The only fairy clothing items I've found are two Kokiri Bands, one that has Water Cost Down and one that has Lightning Cost Down.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

As your characters get stronger the KO requirement becomes the least of your worries.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
edit: wrong thread

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
Finally got that drat "Kill Imprisoned in under 10 minutes" Skulltula today. It's really not that hard and just a matter of speedrunning the level, making a beeline from mission to mission... but what was tripping me up was I thought Imprisoned was a scripted fight where you had to hit it with both Groosenators. Fortunately, that's not true, since there's probably no way to do that in time due to how slowly it trudges from the West cannon to the East one.

Also, I kept trying to do it in Legend mode, like a dumbass. :v: I think it gives Fi her weakest weapon when you do that. When it finally dawned on me to switch to Free mode and make Zelda and her Gleaming Rapier my partner, Imprisoned wasn't quite as much of a tank.

legoman727 posted:

So does taking out a Silver Cucco in adventure mode even DO anything? I have never noticed something happen as a result of killing it or ignoring it.

It just gives out a good chunk of EXP while being keen on running away at random moments, which is no doubt a nod to Dragon Quest.

Folt The Bolt posted:

BTW has any of you guys found a team of characters you like to use and who syenergizes well with one another?

Linkle/Volga/Tingle. Go Fire Nation! :supaburn:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rapier Zelda, Twilight Midna, and Linkle. Zelda nukes with her WPS and special attack, Midna clears keeps, and Linkle zoofs bosses and pretty much everything else. Light, twilight, and cucco princesses.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

My favorite team is Linkle.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Bakalakadaka posted:

My favorite team is Linkle.

Agreed. Got a 5 star version of her Lv.2 and been running around killing everything with her ever since.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is Young Link really fast, or is he just look faster because he's small?
Also fairies completely trash all the rack-up KO's and KO competition levels so far.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

This has probably been answered, but what's the deal with, My Fairy? and how do I get one?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

This has probably been answered, but what's the deal with, My Fairy? and how do I get one?

You get them in Adventure Mode. They're in jars in forts in levels with fairies on the overworld icon. Once you get one you can equip it and they give a bonus you can use (either automatically or like you do a potion.). More importantly you can use a magical spell by pressing the My Fairy button on the bottom screen. It uses up your magic bar but is an amazing crowd-clearing attack.

You can equip clothes on the fairy which increases the power of the attack or lessens the magic bar cost. You can also level it up which boosts its stats, unlocks new bonuses, and can upgrade the magic spell to do more damage or have unique attributes like debuffing everyone in an area.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't feel like I "get" Wizzro. Maybe I just don't have the levels or weapons yet but all his combos hit for like nothing and are so slow. In the second Cia story level I just cleared it by spamming his Grab special since it seemed faster than doing any actual combos.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't feel like I "get" Wizzro. Maybe I just don't have the levels or weapons yet but all his combos hit for like nothing and are so slow. In the second Cia story level I just cleared it by spamming his Grab special since it seemed faster than doing any actual combos.

Wizzro is good for clearing rooms and pretty much not a lot else. I think he does a powering up move like Midna does, though.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Theta Zero posted:

Wizzro is good for clearing rooms and pretty much not a lot else. I think he does a powering up move like Midna does, though.

Don't think so. He's great at giant bosses and juggling, though. You can cancel out of the C5 laser and manage to catch the falling enemy in another juggle combo ending in another C5 laser.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Wizzro is an incredible character. His regular string projectiles have two modes: ball and flame. Hitting a flame with a ball makes them explode for high damage, and this explosion can launch opponents (and any projectile of his can practically keep them in the air afterwards). His C2 is a guard breaker which is good on guard-happy foes until they give up on guarding, his C4 is his mook killer and Giant Boss WPG destroyer, and his C5 lets you pile on damage on all those hard enemies (and I believe it also destroys any flames out there like his balls do, though that is less useful). And then there's his C1 which when used right is an infinite on everything (except giant bosses). That's right, used properly, any enemy can be C1 spammed to death! ... And the bosses get C4 spammed to death since Wizzro with all Stamina Fruit badges takes down all their WPGs (except the Imprisoned on the Wii U version). And since most of these are ranged attacks, he's extremely safe since he can zone enemies out and control the battlefield. His WPS is also on the higher end of damage, whether on giant bosses or on smaller enemies. Oh, and of course, his C3 projectiles give you five flames that you can detonate immediately.

Wizzro's weakness is however a big one: He's absolutely terrible at killing mooks. In general, the other categories are more important, but this costs him enough that he can never be top tier.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
Holy poo poo. I tried Hero Mode on the first scenario and got destroyed. :stare: What, exactly, does the game expect on Hero Mode, gear-wise?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Holy poo poo. I tried Hero Mode on the first scenario and got destroyed. :stare: What, exactly, does the game expect on Hero Mode, gear-wise?

Pretty much lategame/endgame levels/weapons.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Folt The Bolt posted:

Pretty much lategame/endgame levels/weapons.

Fuuuck. :( I guess it's more fumbling through the basic Adventure map for me. Maybe I should see about getting to 45 skulltulas for the Bazaar upgrade. Right now I'm at the point where I have Blue Potions - are there any particularly good Apothecary mixtures at this point?

(Disclaimer: I have no idea how to handle the Apothecary, nor any idea what skills make a weapon 'good'.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Fuuuck. :( I guess it's more fumbling through the basic Adventure map for me. Maybe I should see about getting to 45 skulltulas for the Bazaar upgrade. Right now I'm at the point where I have Blue Potions - are there any particularly good Apothecary mixtures at this point?

(Disclaimer: I have no idea how to handle the Apothecary, nor any idea what skills make a weapon 'good'.)

Well, you can probably scrape by if you have a 4-5 star lv. 3 weapon with the strength skills for the attacks you actually use for your characters.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Folt The Bolt posted:

Well, you can probably scrape by if you have a 4-5 star lv. 3 weapon with the strength skills for the attacks you actually use for your characters.

Aren't level 3 weapons only in adventure maps after the first?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I have to ask. What's the "C1-C5"? I figure you're talking about the Strong attack combo finishers? And if so what's the abbreviation used for Light attacks?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I have to ask. What's the "C1-C5"? I figure you're talking about the Strong attack combo finishers? And if so what's the abbreviation used for Light attacks?

The position of your strong attack in the attack chain: http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Charge_Attacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I am not very good at Ganondorfing, apparently. Any tips for dealing with B-8 on the first adventure map ("Deal with unwanted guests!" vs. Agitha)?

• Locked thread