Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Under the vegetable posted:

I don't know. Why is it fun to play, to you? Because, to me, it's not fun to play, because of a ton of extremely poor balance, bad hitboxes, weapon tracking, level, enemy, and world design i dislike, a plot that is extremely generic fantasy for this series that i dont care about, bad animations, encounter design, etc. i dont know. to me, everything about that game comes together to make something that is lesser than the sum of its parts, and the individual parts aren't even good. i can't enjoy a game just because it has a slightly better interface and you can run up ladders.

if you think the game is fun because its easier or whatever, or "PVP is better", thats fine. i just wish people wouldn't get so defensive and scream "ITS A GOOD GAME ITS THE BEST GAME ACTUALLY" when some people say they dont like it and have tons of detailed reasons why, reasons that have been exhaustively covered by many people many times. its ok for both people to have opinions and we don't have to fight like this. when someone says "i dont like dark souls 2" you can just think "ok nbd" instead of having people come out of the woodwork every time to go "ACTUALLY its a great game and the best dark souls :smug:" much like i can just say "nbd" to myself when someone offhandedly mentions enjoying the game, outside of some ridiculous edition war context

Argh I'm so angry that other people like things :argh:

Whoa, that's awesome. Got a source/artist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Something I just remembered; wasn't there rumors about a whole mechanic where you have to choose where to make bonfires? I wonder what happened to that, or if it never existed in the first place.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I'm just gonna start posting dark souls memes until you guys stop talking about which souls game is best

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I love each and every SOuls game equally. They;re all number one in my book.

edit: Almost made a disastrous faux pas.....

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

This piece is cool because you can tell it was made pre-release by someone who had no context for any of these characters and so the composition makes no sense whatsoever once you're done playing the game. Actually, this artwork is cool because it's cool, I just wanted to say that.

Internet Kraken posted:

Something I just remembered; wasn't there rumors about a whole mechanic where you have to choose where to make bonfires? I wonder what happened to that, or if it never existed in the first place.

They show the cover art dude (aka Soul of Cinder) in the intro movie thrusting the coiled sword into a hollow, they showed a dude in the Knight set thrusting another coiled sword into a hollow in in-game graphics in the first trailer, and there were definitely leaked screenshots of an early build showing the mechanic. I guess they just had to cut it because it wasn't working out.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

I love each and every SOuls game equally. They;re all number one in my book.

edit: Almost made a disastrous faux pas.....

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

you do it once in firelink

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

I think it was something like using enemy corpses to make temporary bonfires? And then make bonfires from bosses? I just assumed that the boss bonfires (who are all named after the boss) is what became of that mechanic.

Eustachy
May 7, 2013
I dont like this game

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Eustachy posted:

I dont like this game

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone had any success getting the Pale Shade set? It's one of the NPC invader things I missed on my first character, but it seems awfully finicky to get so let me know if I got it right:

Before killing Abyss Watchers:
- Get 5 Sigils from Yoel so he dies.
- When Yuria appears, attack her to make her mad (then kill her for her set?)
- Get invaded in Farron Keep

Then, before killing Pontiff:
- Get invaded in Irithyll Valley
- ???
- Set is now in Firelink where Yoel died?

e: or do I anger Yuria by curing the sigil (and then immediately kill her for her set before she leaves)?

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 27, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Your Computer posted:

Has anyone had any success getting the Pale Shade set? It's one of the NPC invader things I missed on my first character, but it seems awfully finicky to get so let me know if I got it right:

Before killing Abyss Watchers:
- Get 5 Sigils from Yoel so he dies.
- When Yuria appears, attack her to make her mad (then kill her for her set?)
- Get invaded in Farron Keep

Then, before killing Pontiff:
- Get invaded in Irithyll Valley
- ???
- Set is now in Firelink where Yoel died?

e: or do I anger Yuria by curing the sigil (and then immediately kill her for her set before she leaves)?

That's hilariously complicated for a unremarkable armor set.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

I don't know. Why is it fun to play, to you? Because, to me, it's not fun to play, because of a ton of extremely poor balance, bad hitboxes, weapon tracking, level, enemy, and world design i dislike, a plot that is extremely generic fantasy for this series that i dont care about, bad animations, encounter design, etc. i dont know. to me, everything about that game comes together to make something that is lesser than the sum of its parts, and the individual parts aren't even good. i can't enjoy a game just because it has a slightly better interface and you can run up ladders.

if you think the game is fun because its easier or whatever, or "PVP is better", thats fine. i just wish people wouldn't get so defensive and scream "ITS A GOOD GAME ITS THE BEST GAME ACTUALLY" when some people say they dont like it and have tons of detailed reasons why, reasons that have been exhaustively covered by many people many times. its ok for both people to have opinions and we don't have to fight like this. when someone says "i dont like dark souls 2" you can just think "ok nbd" instead of having people come out of the woodwork every time to go "ACTUALLY its a great game and the best dark souls :smug:" much like i can just say "nbd" to myself when someone offhandedly mentions enjoying the game, outside of some ridiculous edition war context

Man I can't even begin to count off the number of fantasy RPGs that make the player character undead trapped in a cycle of death and rebirth as a metaphor for overcoming worldly attachment and personal ambition to find inner peace. Literally a dime a dozen.

I mean come on guy.

PS it's the best Dark Souls because it has the most variety in terms of valid builds, and by extension the best weapon balance, and ways to enjoy the game. :smug:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 27, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Man, people pull out all the stops against the dread menace of "Purple Invader wearing Deserter armor, wielding a torch and broken sword"

I'm sure you really needed to repeatedly step on the crossbow trap tile between firing soul arrows at me while your phantom spent 90% of the time hiding behind a greatshield.

To be fair, even if I were trying to use GOOD methods of killing people, I'd still get my rear end handed to me. But you'd think they would chase after the red phantoms I'm flailing my broken sword at rather than backstab me while I'm doing that :v:

EDIT: I'm under no illusions that I am any good, but I am still surprised at how people will go to any means necessary to stop "Guy swinging a pair of torches at your phantom".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 27, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

This is SA, when you care this much people are gonna make posts just to trigger you. Have a relax and play a game you enjoy :shobon:

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
So I hosed up and picked the fireball spew spell instead of Havel's Ring when turning in a soul of a stray demon. I'm doing a heavy armor strength axe build. Am I totally hosed now or is there something else that reduces equipment burden by 15% or more?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Welp I guess I hosed up Yoel's questline and apparently an entire ending.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Can this stuff about Poise go in the OP please?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So I just learned that I've hosed up Siegward's questline and Greirat's questline at the same time because I was exploring and went one way instead of another. That's some bullshit

Why do they make it so easy to gently caress up questlines and miss out on content, I don't want to have to use a guide for this poo poo

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Well gently caress.

Looks like my entire character is ruined due to not being able to get 1 loving ring.

Re-roll time....

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

So I just learned that I've hosed up Siegward's questline and Greirat's questline at the same time because I was exploring and went one way instead of another. That's some bullshit

Why do they make it so easy to gently caress up questlines and miss out on content, I don't want to have to use a guide for this poo poo

I agree it's sorta lovely how easily you can miss them sometimes. The quests themselves are really cool though.

There's a checklist that runs through each area for important items and who to talk to to progress quests here

It's got mild spoilers but if you keep to only areas you're currently in it's okay.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Avalanche posted:

Well gently caress.

Looks like my entire character is ruined due to not being able to get 1 loving ring.

Re-roll time....

There's another ring that reduces equipment burden. Or just put a few levels into endurance. Or both.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Avalanche posted:

Well gently caress.

Re-roll time....

Dump some extra points into VIT, grab the ROFAP/Prisoner's Chain, and then reroll your stats once you get to NG+ and can make Havel's Ring. Or just restart, it's not like Farron Keep is terribly far into the game.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Please tell me people aren't seriously considering re-rolling just because they missed Havel's ring

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 27, 2016

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Avalanche posted:

So I hosed up and picked the fireball spew spell instead of Havel's Ring when turning in a soul of a stray demon. I'm doing a heavy armor strength axe build. Am I totally hosed now or is there something else that reduces equipment burden by 15% or more?

armor doesn't mean poo poo in this game, poise doesn't work and you're not getting more than 30 absorb.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
One neat trick you can do in pvp is if somebody has a katana just stand still. stop attacking and hold your shield up and they will run in circles doing dash attacks forever.

Tested multiple times before the new patch came out. Will test again tonight and report back.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

speaking of katanas, the uchigatana guy by firelink really cannot handle jump attacks. it's basically a free hit and you can back off and do it again over and over until he's dead

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Manatee Cannon posted:

speaking of katanas, the uchigatana guy by firelink really cannot handle jump attacks. it's basically a free hit and you can back off and do it again over and over until he's dead

You can roll to his right/your left past his attack and followup with the rolling light attack if you're using a straight sword. Even though you roll past them, the attack will automatically pivot around and face the target. It gets him every time, and allows you to roll back away immediately. This can work on almost any human enemy except the overly aggressive lothric knights.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I just hosed a ton of firebombs at him. He can't defend against them and he's way too wired to react to melee range attacks.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
1.06 regulation patch detailed, Blue Sentinels and Darkmoon level-matching width adjustments so that more action happens, performce adjustment of daggers twinswords and sorceries (it's all about scaling from, fix that), modifications of balance, error fixes. Not jack about poise.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

Basically you can't complete the questlines without a walkthough of some sort, which is why on this my first playthrough I am ignoring the whole thing and just plowing through it however I like.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

People on this forum are going to complain about poise for 30 years. That's three decades

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

People on this forum are going to complain about poise for 30 years. That's three decades

it makes the game better and makes heavier armor viable

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Golden Goat posted:

I just hosed a ton of firebombs at him. He can't defend against them and he's way too wired to react to melee range attacks.

I dodged him near the cliff and then kicked him 3 times

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

HEavy armor only needs an absorption buff because DS1 poise is rear end and turned PVP Into too much of a numbers game.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

GreyPowerVan posted:

I went leveling up a new alt last night, went the no-roll route and wore heavy-rear end armour, 99.8% weight, did bosses solo, what came closest to killing me?
Three little tiny rats. Stunlocking like a pair of estoc spammers.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I was trying to fight a dude in the Post-Pontiff PVP Playhouse (The PPPVPP) and he had a weird effect where it was like I was staring at the sun. There was a glow all over him that made him impossible to see, but it only lasted like 30 seconds. Is that a spell or a hack? If it's a spell, it was a really clever effect! I was super impressed!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

net cafe scandal posted:

HEavy armor only needs an absorption buff because DS1 poise is rear end and turned PVP Into too much of a numbers game.
hosed up that considering numbers could give you an edge in an RPG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

hosed up that considering numbers could give you an edge in an RPG

Good thing we classify Souls games in the Character Reaction Action PVP genre and not a smelly RPG one.