Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Medullah posted:

the cost on the GTN for a weekly pass is far greater than the credit cap a preferred player can hold.

So... how do they even sell, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Colonial Air Force posted:

So... how do they even sell, then?

Because people stock up when they are subscribers and planning on dropping to preferred.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Okay so I was a big dumb dumb and didn't read the fine print and transferred a character without first moving legacy items to my personal hold. The issue is that it was my only character on the original server (Bergeren).

If I create a new character on Bergeren, will I have access to the old legacy storage?

Or alternatively, if I transfer my toon back to Bergeren, will I be able to re-access my old legacy storage? That way, I could transfer over, get my stuff, then transfer back. It's just mats, really, but probably worth 180 cc.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Okay so I was a big dumb dumb and didn't read the fine print and transferred a character without first moving legacy items to my personal hold. The issue is that it was my only character on the original server (Bergeren).

If I create a new character on Bergeren, will I have access to the old legacy storage?

Or alternatively, if I transfer my toon back to Bergeren, will I be able to re-access my old legacy storage? That way, I could transfer over, get my stuff, then transfer back. It's just mats, really, but probably worth 180 cc.

You should still have access on your old server. Rather than transfer back and forth, I'd just create a new character and grab everything and transfer him. You can get a free transfer by clicking a referral link (like mine in the OP) so you don't even have to pay. :)

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Medullah posted:

You should still have access on your old server. Rather than transfer back and forth, I'd just create a new character and grab everything and transfer him. You can get a free transfer by clicking a referral link (like mine in the OP) so you don't even have to pay. :)

Cheers, I may try that. I tried your referral link but kept getting the message that my account wasn't eligible. I think I may have clicked on one from one of these megathreads when I first stated playing in 2013, only I stopped playing pretty quickly. I can't see anywhere in my account that I have a free transfer, but if they're still only 90cc I may just try and take a toon really quickly to 10.

Or, as an alternative, can I create a level 60 char and do it with him?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cheers, I may try that. I tried your referral link but kept getting the message that my account wasn't eligible. I think I may have clicked on one from one of these megathreads when I first stated playing in 2013, only I stopped playing pretty quickly. I can't see anywhere in my account that I have a free transfer, but if they're still only 90cc I may just try and take a toon really quickly to 10.

Or, as an alternative, can I create a level 60 char and do it with him?

Yeah you could do that too. Make sure you have a confirmed email address in order to use the referral link.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Medullah posted:

Yeah you could do that too. Make sure you have a confirmed email address in order to use the referral link.

Yeah it's definitely a confirmed address. I assume I can only click a referral link once, so I'm guessing that I clicked one on this account before. Thanks for your help!

Edit: Huh, weird. When I was still preferred status clicking the link didn't work, but I just clicked it now after having subbed, and it worked. Thanks for the free transfer!

Edit 2: Excellent, all my mats were still there and I just moved them all to my ship's hold and then started the free transfer. Thanks again for the help :)

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 25, 2016

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Account cancelled. After finishing all 4 Imp storylines i had plans to do the 4 Pub ones but i don't really have it in me. KOTFE is not particularly interesting and it sure isn't worth keeping an account active for an hour of storyline a month.

Thanks for the fun!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Ineptitude posted:

Account cancelled. After finishing all 4 Imp storylines i had plans to do the 4 Pub ones but i don't really have it in me. KOTFE is not particularly interesting and it sure isn't worth keeping an account active for an hour of storyline a month.

Thanks for the fun!

Would you say the best way to play all 8 class stories would be to alternate between Pub and Imp just so you don't end up going through the same planets 4 times consecutively?

Or is it the gameplay that wore you out?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Would you say the best way to play all 8 class stories would be to alternate between Pub and Imp just so you don't end up going through the same planets 4 times consecutively?

This is actually what I've been doing. Went Sith Warrior, Smuggler, Bounty Hunter, Jedi Consular. Finishing Consular right now, but I may stop for a bit and actually play him after I finish the story, really enjoying Jedi Shadow. Though when I decide on a character to spend time with after story, I'll probably land on a healer because I like doing random flashpoints quite a bit, and as a healer you can get any group through them.

I really just like leveling characters though. I am also doing each advanced class on each side as I go through, but I might end up going back and doing the same Pub/Imp classes but different advanced classes. Cause I'm weird.

Or I'll get bored and stop next week.

cams fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 26, 2016

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I think it was the atrocious storyline that is KOTFE that wore me out. I realise this has nothing to do with the 1-50 storylines but i got so disilusioned with the game after playing KOTFE i lost all the steam to continue playing the game after that. I wish i had never played KOTFE.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Ineptitude posted:

Thanks for the fun!

No point in cancelling accounts these days. Just go inactive and attach the key app to the account, maybe come back in a year to lots of cartel coins.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

You can finally transfer across regions. More expensive than a standard transfer (1500 vs 1000) but you can finally do it. :D

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Medullah posted:

You can finally transfer across regions. More expensive than a standard transfer (1500 vs 1000) but you can finally do it. :D

Why

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Because silly, there is a demand for it so they charge moneys.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

http://www.swtor.com/blog/eternal-championship

This could be fun.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dulfy guide. The rewards for doing it repeatedly are new cosmetic armor along with rare drops of mounts and pets. Not a substitute for raid gear, but as with all KOTFE content it's extra single player content. :(

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

We don't raid anymore anyway. :smith:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

We don't raid anymore anyway. :smith:

Sadly in the years that TNG has existed regularly scheduled raiding has been a very small percentage of the time.

I'm not playing a ton these days but if anyone wants to step up and try to organize a regular raid again I'd be happy to help out.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Medullah posted:

Sadly in the years that TNG has existed regularly scheduled raiding has been a very small percentage of the time.

I'm not playing a ton these days but if anyone wants to step up and try to organize a regular raid again I'd be happy to help out.

I'd be interested in helping build the guild up to raids. Is there enough population to start recruiting?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
GUYS I can finally join you.

:unsmith:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

It sounded fun the last time they announced it. Will it get pushed back again by several months? Who knows v:shobon:v

Solfrann
Dec 28, 2015

Trast posted:

No point in cancelling accounts these days. Just go inactive and attach the key app to the account, maybe come back in a year to lots of cartel coins.

I am counting on this. Sometime in 2018 when I return i'll be rich.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Medullah posted:

I tried a few times, no one ever connected, but I'm up for trying again!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

cams posted:

This is actually what I've been doing. Went Sith Warrior, Smuggler, Bounty Hunter, Jedi Consular. Finishing Consular right now, but I may stop for a bit and actually play him after I finish the story, really enjoying Jedi Shadow. Though when I decide on a character to spend time with after story, I'll probably land on a healer because I like doing random flashpoints quite a bit, and as a healer you can get any group through them.

I really just like leveling characters though. I am also doing each advanced class on each side as I go through, but I might end up going back and doing the same Pub/Imp classes but different advanced classes. Cause I'm weird.

Or I'll get bored and stop next week.

I'm level 50 atm on my first real play through, doing an Agent, and enjoying it. I recently started a Jedi Guardian as well, and have that up to 15. Though with that said, I'm already getting bored of the gameplay and the super long travel distances between objectives, but I am eager to see how all 8 storylines interweave with each other. But the last thing I want to do is have to do the same planets consecutively. Even Dromun Kass, a pretty decent planet with speeder access to everywhere you need to go, would be a PITA to do twice in a row.

Ineptitude posted:

I think it was the atrocious storyline that is KOTFE that wore me out. I realise this has nothing to do with the 1-50 storylines but i got so disilusioned with the game after playing KOTFE i lost all the steam to continue playing the game after that. I wish i had never played KOTFE.

Hmm I'm saving KOTFE for when I'm done with the 8 class storylines. I subbed using the Amazon pack for now just so I could level quicker, and so I could buy purple crystals off the GTN and actually use them, rather than having to buy authorization.

Of course, I may get bored of the class storylines and just do it earlier, too. That's probably more likely.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

But the last thing I want to do is have to do the same planets consecutively. Even Dromun Kass, a pretty decent planet with speeder access to everywhere you need to go, would be a PITA to do twice in a row.

If you ever get frustrated with the game, just realize that launch Dromund Kaas -

a) Not all speeder points were automatically unlocked like they are now
b) The speeder at the spaceport did not connect with the rest of the speeders
c) You didn't have a speeder until level 25 so no speeder on the planet
d) You didn't even have SPRINT until level 15.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons

Medullah posted:

I'm about to go on summer vacation and I want to raid with goons

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

If you ever get frustrated with the game, just realize that launch Dromund Kaas -

And Quick Travel had an hour cooldown. Walking around the starter planets then sprinting around Taris/Balmorra certainly sucked.

If you're lvling up on a planet pick up all the heroics in the spaceport on your way...if there's not a speeder point close to where you want to go there may be a heroic mission you can warp to.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Launch era SWTOR was definitely designed around the philosophy of dragging out the time the player spent doing unfun things (combat with trash, running from point A to point B) for as long as possible to pad things out.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Playing launch era SWTOR was so bad it was a bioware game I didn't manage to finish, which is shocking considering how I usually get about them.

Things have gotten like a million times better though.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Medullah posted:

A game designed for masochists.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Empress Theonora posted:

Playing launch era SWTOR was so bad it was a bioware game I didn't manage to finish, which is shocking considering how I usually get about them.

It's like Jedi Knight and day

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Empress Theonora posted:

I recall something about EA cutting the department responsible for the game off at the knees right before launch. Am I remembering correctly?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Welp some random flashpoint introduction just spoiled a bit of the imperial agent story on accident. :smith:

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I'm level 50 atm on my first real play through, doing an Agent, and enjoying it. I recently started a Jedi Guardian as well, and have that up to 15. Though with that said, I'm already getting bored of the gameplay and the super long travel distances between objectives, but I am eager to see how all 8 storylines interweave with each other. But the last thing I want to do is have to do the same planets consecutively. Even Dromun Kass, a pretty decent planet with speeder access to everywhere you need to go, would be a PITA to do twice in a row.

See if you can get some Legacy unlocks for the travel perks. There are some specific planet teleports you can buy, you can reduce (and eventually remove entirely) the cooldown for quick travel, unlock speeders earlier, etc. The reduction in cooldown for quick travel is great. It is amazing how much more mobile you are by reducing it from 6 minutes to 4 minutes. Most of those "go back to DK, talk to an NPC and then return to your ship" missions take exactly 4 minutes. With 6 minute cooldown on quick travel you have to wait for 2 minutes every time, with 4 minutes cooldown you can teleport to the citadel when you arrive at DK then teleport back to the spaceport once you are done. :v

Hmm I'm saving KOTFE for when I'm done with the 8 class storylines. I subbed using the Amazon pack for now just so I could level quicker, and so I could buy purple crystals off the GTN and actually use them, rather than having to buy authorization.

Of course, I may get bored of the class storylines and just do it earlier, too. That's probably more likely.

If i could do this over again, armed with the knowledge i have now, i would have played all 8 classes storylines alternating between Imp and Pub class, and never touched ANY of the expansion content. All the expansion content is poo poo. They have also sucked all the point of leveling out of the game, so there is no real reason to play the expansions either if you want to become "more powerful". Don't get me wrong, this is great for casually playing this game and treating it like KOTOR3 seeing as the vanilla game is a fairly decent single player RPG experience. The way they tell the story in the expansions changes drastically though. Few cutscenes, no class specific storyline, lots of instances to drag out the amount of time it takes to complete the content, etc.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 27, 2016

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Basically, the game is great, the unique class stuff eventually dries up because it is very expensive to bring everyone back four years after the game came out for every little thing, but you still get your OG voice actor, which is nice

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

As far as replaying planets, I unlock the class story xp boost, and between that, guild boost, the xp boosts you get after each party, and my sub, I don't have to do planet quests at all. Occasionally, I need to do a heroic or two.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Trast posted:

I recall something about EA cutting the department responsible for the game off at the knees right before launch. Am I remembering correctly?

Yup. According to a couple of ex-Bioware employees (so take this with a grain of salt) that's why a bunch of planned post-launch features, mainly oriented around companions (like new companion quests and same-sex companion romances), got canned: EA decided the game was done and ready for launch, no need to worry about adding new features until a buyable expansion.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Ineptitude posted:

See if you can get some Legacy unlocks for the travel perks. There are some specific planet teleports you can buy, you can reduce (and eventually remove entirely) the cooldown for quick travel, unlock speeders earlier, etc. The reduction in cooldown for quick travel is great. It is amazing how much more mobile you are by reducing it from 6 minutes to 4 minutes. Most of those "go back to DK, talk to an NPC and then return to your ship" missions take exactly 4 minutes. With 6 minute cooldown on quick travel you have to wait for 2 minutes every time, with 4 minutes cooldown you can teleport to the citadel when you arrive at DK then teleport back to the spaceport once you are done. :v

Thanks for the tips. I had no idea I could actually do things like lower the cooldown, and so I am definitely going to seek that out. Appreciate the tips :)

What do you mean by legacy unlocks for travel perks though? I didn't realize we had to pay to unlock specific quick travel locations on planets. Man, who designed this?

quote:

If i could do this over again, armed with the knowledge i have now, i would have played all 8 classes storylines alternating between Imp and Pub class, and never touched ANY of the expansion content. All the expansion content is poo poo. They have also sucked all the point of leveling out of the game, so there is no real reason to play the expansions either if you want to become "more powerful". Don't get me wrong, this is great for casually playing this game and treating it like KOTOR3 seeing as the vanilla game is a fairly decent single player RPG experience. The way they tell the story in the expansions changes drastically though. Few cutscenes, no class specific storyline, lots of instances to drag out the amount of time it takes to complete the content, etc.

Hmm this all doesn't sound good about KOTFE, lol. I guess I'm going to force myself to finish the 8 class quest lines first before moving on. There's still the origin bundle I can add once the Ama one expires, though I don't know if 5 months is enough time to level and complete 8 toons.

As far as replaying planets, I unlock the class story xp boost, and between that, guild boost, the xp boosts you get after each party, and my sub, I don't have to do planet quests at all. Occasionally, I need to do a heroic or two.

I need to find out what this class story XP boost is.

Also, is a total noob, first-timer like me welcome in the guild? I have a stupid character name that uses the sci-fi apostrophe, and also contains a typo (I created it when I was drunk okay), so I'll accept any insults gracefully.

Edit: I guess I should probably clarify that my main goal is to just play the storylines, I'm not interested in raiding. However, when guild objectives come on (I've been reading a lot about doing heroics or crafting to get [something] for top 10 rankings), I'll of course do my part.

^^^ (turn upside down)

Both the travel cooldowns and story XP boosts are purchasable in the "Legacy" menu. The XP is under Character Unlocks, but I think the other cooldown reduction stuff is in "Other".

And yes, welcome aboard.

Thanks, I'll look those up, and also fire off a request for an invite following the instructions in the OP!

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Both the travel cooldowns and story XP boosts are purchasable in the "Legacy" menu. The XP is under Character Unlocks, but I think the other cooldown reduction stuff is in "Other".

And yes, welcome aboard.

• Locked thread