Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

I expect it depends on the individual, like how some people can function in a life-threatening emergency and some people go catatonic.
Any idea how trainable this is? And how generalizeable that training is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

chitoryu12 posted:

I can speak as someone who actually came pretty close to that. Long story short, one of the residents across the street turned an argument with his girlfriend into attacking both her and their infant daughter who was in the car seat next to her. I was already watching them because of how loud their fight had gotten and the guy had reacted very poorly when I threatened to call the cops, which is why I was able to come out and order him away from the woman and their kid. No shots were fired and the family moved out soon after, the latest in a long list of renters of that house.

What I can say is that during the actual incident, I didn't really let any of that fear get to me because I was too drat occupied to think about the fear. I was too focused on what was happening to consider the impact of a potential decision to pull the trigger, or any other dangers ("What if he's got a gun and pulls it out first?" or "What if I miss and hit her?").

And then I got back inside and my hands were almost shaking too bad to hold the gun. All of those thoughts and fears came right after the danger passed, and the fight-or-flight response took a lot longer to chill the gently caress out. When you've actually made the decision to do something life-threatening, you can probably be expected to barrel through it with little or no hesitation. It's what comes afterward that gets you.

cool story bro

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ravenfood posted:

Any idea how trainable this is? And how generalizeable that training is?

If I remember my reading right, a lot of it depends on training the people involved until they revert to their trained motions in a fight-or-flight situation instead of most people's lovely instincts. Instead of reverting to flailing or freezing up, they revert to following their instilled training. This can unfortunately lead to some problems with things like poorly trained police officers: they get taught to fear civilians because "Anyone at a traffic stop could just whip out a gun and blow your head off for no reason!" and aren't given as much time learning peaceful conflict resolution and negotiation. When they panic, they revert to training that basically tells them to scream and point a gun at whoever's threatening them, or tackle them to the ground and wrench their arms around.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

These kinds of things are posted by people who say "I'm not racist, I just hate people...and let me tell you about black people..."

I really cannot wait until some gun nut shoots a mannish woman thinking it was a transgendered person, and the worst part, they'll be a hero and get off.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 04:49 on Apr 27, 2016

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Weatherman posted:

cool story bro

unironically

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

twistedmentat posted:

These kinds of things are posted by people who say "I'm not racist, I just hate people...and let me tell you about black people..."

I really cannot wait until some gun nut shoots a mannish woman thinking it was a transgendered person, and the worst part, they'll be a hero and get off.

Please don't wish death on masculine women just for some schadenfreude

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

so wait are they going to shoot children?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tardcore posted:

You've got to admit, if you murder all the children then none of them will ever be molested again.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

chitoryu12 posted:

If I remember my reading right, a lot of it depends on training the people involved until they revert to their trained motions in a fight-or-flight situation instead of most people's lovely instincts. Instead of reverting to flailing or freezing up, they revert to following their instilled training. This can unfortunately lead to some problems with things like poorly trained police officers: they get taught to fear civilians because "Anyone at a traffic stop could just whip out a gun and blow your head off for no reason!" and aren't given as much time learning peaceful conflict resolution and negotiation. When they panic, they revert to training that basically tells them to scream and point a gun at whoever's threatening them, or tackle them to the ground and wrench their arms around.

I can't speak to any kind of fight or assault situation, but in my limited experience parachuting, we have to be prepared for a malfunction at any time. Even though I haven't had a high-speed or life-threatening malfunction, on my very first student jump I had semi-serious line twists, and after only a day of drilling, I remembered how to get out of it. I'm always afraid of panicking during an emergency, but you'd be surprised how easily your training comes back to you. Whether it's turbulence, another canopy nearby, or unexpected stuff in your landing area, you manage to remain calm until you make it to the ground, then strut around with false bravado about how "it really wasn't that big a deal landing in the prison yard" while internally shaking like a leaf and making GBS threads your pants.

So basically, muscle memory, drilling, and not panicking really make a difference in whether you lose your poo poo and spray everyone with bullets or are able to keep your composure. I know there's not a huge parallel between parachuting and a dangerous fight situation, both involve staying calm in dangerous situations.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

But from my point of view it's the Jedi who are evil Satan

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I can't speak to any kind of fight or assault situation, but in my limited experience parachuting, we have to be prepared for a malfunction at any time. Even though I haven't had a high-speed or life-threatening malfunction, on my very first student jump I had semi-serious line twists, and after only a day of drilling, I remembered how to get out of it. I'm always afraid of panicking during an emergency, but you'd be surprised how easily your training comes back to you. Whether it's turbulence, another canopy nearby, or unexpected stuff in your landing area, you manage to remain calm until you make it to the ground, then strut around with false bravado about how "it really wasn't that big a deal landing in the prison yard" while internally shaking like a leaf and making GBS threads your pants.

So basically, muscle memory, drilling, and not panicking really make a difference in whether you lose your poo poo and spray everyone with bullets or are able to keep your composure. I know there's not a huge parallel between parachuting and a dangerous fight situation, both involve staying calm in dangerous situations.

I've been dating this Iranian girl recently. You know, it's hard to be racist against someone if you're sleeping with them.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tardcore posted:

Yeah that's what I thought too. Calling it a "vaccine" kind of carries that implication.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

twistedmentat posted:

So we're going to shoot GOP congressmen now?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I've been dating this Iranian girl recently. You know, it's hard to be racist against someone if you're sleeping with them.

This is it, this is the solution.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hyperhazard posted:

I'm waiting for the inevitable TAG YOUR MUSLIM FRIENDS SO THEY HAVE TO OPEN THEIR PHONE AND LOOK AT THIS PICTURE OF JESUS CHRIST.

Hah, who am I kidding. Those people don't have Muslim friends.

Also you'd never get those types of people to accept that Jesus was anything but a light haired and pale caucasian

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Some woman from my past I was vaguely angling towards getting back with shared several of these in a row and my thirst was gone. The Pledge one is super weird to me, my son apparently is lead in the pledge in day care, and can recite it at 3, in spite of obviously not understanding every other word, because he's 3. Making babies recite oaths they obviously don't understand is weird and cultish IMO.

Has anyone spotted a liberal/progressive meme/image macro in the wild that used the whole shame/dare thing to get you to share it ("share it if you're not AFRAID to stand up to your beliefs, I know most of you wont!")?. It really seems mostly to be a creature of the conservomeme ecosystem.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Otisburg posted:

Some woman from my past I was vaguely angling towards getting back with shared several of these in a row and my thirst was gone. The Pledge one is super weird to me, my son apparently is lead in the pledge in day care, and can recite it at 3, in spite of obviously not understanding every other word, because he's 3. Making babies recite oaths they obviously don't understand is weird and cultish IMO.

whitest_kids_u_know_this_is_not_a_form_of_brainwashing.mp4

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Liam Neeson played the Jesus-analogue in one of the adaptations of "Pilgrim's Progress" and also the Lion Jesus in Narnia. So he's more Jesus than Jedi now.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Otisburg posted:

Has anyone spotted a liberal/progressive meme/image macro in the wild that used the whole shame/dare thing to get you to share it ("share it if you're not AFRAID to stand up to your beliefs, I know most of you wont!")?. It really seems mostly to be a creature of the conservomeme ecosystem.

It is every loving cult-ish. I dono about other western nations but Australia doesn't have anything like that.

Can someone please explain what it is supposed to be to me? Because from my point of view it's some overly patriotic speech intended to tell children/everyone that you're super pumped on America and that it's one sentence away from signing your soul away.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

KiteAuraan posted:

Liam Neeson played the Jesus-analogue in one of the adaptations of "Pilgrim's Progress" and also the Lion Jesus in Narnia. So he's more Jesus than Jedi now.

Hey if anyone's white Jesus it's Liam Neeson.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Gridlocked posted:

It is every loving cult-ish. I dono about other western nations but Australia doesn't have anything like that.

Can someone please explain what it is supposed to be to me? Because from my point of view it's some overly patriotic speech intended to tell children/everyone that you're super pumped on America and that it's one sentence away from signing your soul away.

Yeah, we didn't even like singing the national anthem at the beginning of school parade :australia:

Seconding that the pledge of allegiance is some hosed up poo poo. It's the sort of thing you'd say "Did you know that in North Korea they make schoolkids put their hand over their hearts and recite this oath of allegiance to their flag?" and Americans would nod sagely and say "NK's hosed up"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Didn't it only show up in schools fairly recently too? Or was that the God reference on dollars?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
We did a lot of stupid poo poo in response to commies, but some of it did serve a purpose. You have to motivate your population and we decided to focus on Godless Soviets.

And :rolleyes: over no one saying the Pledge anymore. We get a pledge AND a moment of quiet reflection prayer in our school district.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

TinTower posted:

whitest_kids_u_know_this_is_not_a_form_of_brainwashing.mp4

kill all men imo.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Weatherman posted:

Yeah, we didn't even like singing the national anthem at the beginning of school parade :australia:

Seconding that the pledge of allegiance is some hosed up poo poo. It's the sort of thing you'd say "Did you know that in North Korea they make schoolkids put their hand over their hearts and recite this oath of allegiance to their flag?" and Americans would nod sagely and say "NK's hosed up"

Haha, it seems US is the only country that does that? I'm very sure there's not a single Mexican kid that loves to sign the hymn and say the pledge every Monday at 8:00 am. I remember we would stand there, all sleepy and would just mumble the words,while sighing and whining why we had to do such boring stuff.

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely
Hey, don't forget the pledge's important role in the spiritual development of budding atheists when they realize that there's no consequences for refusing to say the 'under God' part. Not a single lghtning bolt! Heck yeah! In your face, Mom!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This isn't IOSM this is :kimchi:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah neither in France not Germany exists anything like the pledge. We learned the lyrics to the national anthem but we never actually sang it at school.

It really is pretty creepy.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
The pledge is literally worshipping the flag and yeah, the strangest part is how long it takes to realize how creepy it is.

Ignorant American asking here. Before sports games in other countries do you also rise and sing your national anthems? It's not nearly as bad as the pledge but constantly and all the time we have to talk about how good and wonderful America is it feels like.

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

Tracula posted:

The pledge is literally worshipping the flag and yeah, the strangest part is how long it takes to realize how creepy it is.

Ignorant American asking here. Before sports games in other countries do you also rise and sing your national anthems? It's not nearly as bad as the pledge but constantly and all the time we have to talk about how good and wonderful America is it feels like.

I'm not an expert, but with soccer when there's an international game (for instance, England vs Germany) they will play both respective anthems, but other than that not really.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tracula posted:

I know from NHL games that Canada does.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tracula posted:

If it's part of a world cup or something, yeah. Don't tend to otherwise that I'm aware of

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

I know from NHL games that Canada does.

The best is when a Canadian team plays an American team so you get both, and you realize that Oh Canada is such a better anthem than ours.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Most racing does multiple anthems for each person on the podium (they don't double-up in the case of 2 people from the same country), which is how I now know the tune to the German national anthem - thanks Vettel and Rosberg.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tracula posted:

You'd think a puritanical culture would avoid the whole worshipping graven images thing and idolatry.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
You guys, I got quoted by LoB. Am I famous now?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Tracula posted:

I don't go to many big events in Aus; but IIRC we do bring out the national anthem for all the international events, the ANZAC day footy match and I think some of the grand finals for various footballs.'

Oh and the Olympics, but everyone gets their anthems during the Olympics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Having a hard time telling whether dad's getting senile in his old age or just growing increasingly paranoid while being gullible as gently caress. I guess there's no real effective difference.