Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

necrobobsledder posted:

I'm a tad bummed out that it didn't come with 8x DIMM slots though because functionally it's not all that different from the mini ITX Xeon Ds out besides the addition of the SAS controller.

Isn't 4 DIMMs a limitation of the Xeon-D platform so that they don't cannibalize E5 xeon sales too badly? The bigger Xeon-Ds look pretty drat favorable vs a E5-2630L v4 or similar. It looks like officially all the Xeon-D max out at 128GB RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

necrobobsledder posted:

The uATX board seems like an interesting approach for a storage + compute server if you're tight on aggregate space for a build and want 10GbE (those don't look like SFP+ connections, so that's iffy on whether you'll get 10GbE really anyway).

They actually have several different versions of the board for any networking combo you want; 2x 10g, 2x 1g, 2x SFP+, 2x 10g and 2x SFP+

km2
Jul 27, 2012
The Xeon D-1557's are delicious.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:vince:

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I'm going to be cross posting with the main PC thread a bit but I thought I'd get my ducks in a row here first. I'd like to re-purpose my soon-to-be 5 year old PC as a Plex NAS when I upgrade my main one.

Currently working with:

-i7-2600K
-32 GB DDR3 @ 798MHz (10-10-10-27) which I may carry over to my new build if its compatible
-P67A-D3-B3 (Socket 1155) Mobo (6 SATA slots)
-4TB, 3TB, 2TB Seagate, 3 x 2TB WD Greens. Might replace some of the 2TBs or just add some more drives

Power supply is the only thing I'm going to replace, so it doesn't take my system down when it dies. I'm having difficulty on deciding what to use for an OS/RAID solution due to the need to transcode with Plex. I'd rather my family/friends not be hitting my main system's CPU and instead re-purpose the 2600K.

It seems like some sort of RAID solution on Windows Server or Linux would be best since their actual NAS OS options are limited to commercial hardware except for unRaid.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. :)

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 28, 2016

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

EconOutlines posted:

I'm going to be cross posting with the main PC thread a bit but I thought I'd get my ducks in a row here first. I'd like to re-purpose my soon-to-be 5 year old PC as a Plex NAS when I upgrade my main one.

Currently working with:

-i7-2600K
-32 GB DDR3 @ 798MHz (10-10-10-27) which I may carry over to my new build if its compatible
-4TB, 3TB, 2TB Seagate, 3 x 2TB WD Greens. Might replace some of the 2TBs or just add some more drives

Power supply is the only thing I'm going to replace, so it doesn't take my system down when it dies. I'm having difficulty on deciding what to use for an OS/RAID solution due to the need to transcode with Plex. I'd rather my family/friends not be hitting my main system's CPU and instead re-purpose the 2600K.

It seems like some sort of RAID solution on Windows Server or Linux would be best since their actual NAS OS options are limited to commercial hardware except for unRaid.

You're not really limited to commercial hardware (if by that you mean enterprise) on Linux. I run a CentOS 6 home built NAS with MDADM RAID6 on off the shelf hardware. For your situation where you have different sized disks, you're probably best off using a Linux distro with Snapraid. I've used Snapraid in my set up before and it's pretty good, handles everything from the command line or cronjobs. Basically set your largest disks as parity and put your data on the remaining disks. If you lose a disk you only lose the data on the one disk, and with Snapraid, you can get that data back by replacing the disk and running a command to rebuild the disk. It also only spins up the needed disks for your operations as opposed to a traditional RAID where all disks are spinning. It's also free unlike unRaid or other solutions. It also runs on Windows in the event you want to go with a Windows OS. It's what I'd recommend for this situation.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Nulldevice posted:

You're not really limited to commercial hardware (if by that you mean enterprise) on Linux. I run a CentOS 6 home built NAS with MDADM RAID6 on off the shelf hardware. For your situation where you have different sized disks, you're probably best off using a Linux distro with Snapraid. I've used Snapraid in my set up before and it's pretty good, handles everything from the command line or cronjobs. Basically set your largest disks as parity and put your data on the remaining disks. If you lose a disk you only lose the data on the one disk, and with Snapraid, you can get that data back by replacing the disk and running a command to rebuild the disk. It also only spins up the needed disks for your operations as opposed to a traditional RAID where all disks are spinning. It's also free unlike unRaid or other solutions. It also runs on Windows in the event you want to go with a Windows OS. It's what I'd recommend for this situation.

All of this is good, but for your setup, I'd suggest getting another 4tb drive so you can have 2 parity drives with Snapraid. After that, you can gradually swap out the remaining 3tb & 2tb drives as they die with 4tb ones as you feel makes sense.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Skandranon posted:

All of this is good, but for your setup, I'd suggest getting another 4tb drive so you can have 2 parity drives with Snapraid. After that, you can gradually swap out the remaining 3tb & 2tb drives as they die with 4tb ones as you feel makes sense.

Good call on the secondary parity. It has been a while since I really had gotten into Snapraid, so it's multiple parity disk capabilities were somewhat forgotten. Can have up to what...6 now?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Nulldevice posted:

Good call on the secondary parity. It has been a while since I really had gotten into Snapraid, so it's multiple parity disk capabilities were somewhat forgotten. Can have up to what...6 now?

At least 4 can be set up through Elucidate (https://elucidate.codeplex.com/), and I think that's just a UI thing, you can do more via the command line. I'm currently running with 2.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there a NAS+firmware that gives proper access to smb.conf or something similar so that my Macs don't poo poo up the place with their dot files? Seems like my current WD NAS doesn't have proper support for it (resets on reboot).

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 29, 2016

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

EconOutlines posted:

Currently working with:

-i7-2600K

XPenology has a Plex plugin that appears to work like a champ for me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Seagate plans to cut production by 30%. HDD prices are only going to go up. :sigh:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

AlternateAccount posted:

XPenology has a Plex plugin that appears to work like a champ for me.

Yep. Plex works great on xpenology. Just make sure jumbo frames are turned off.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there a NAS+firmware that gives proper access to smb.conf or something similar so that my Macs don't poo poo up the place with their dot files? Seems like my current WD NAS doesn't have proper support for it (resets on reboot).

I do this on my macs:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=2005070300463515

$ defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true

May not be a solution for you if you've got lots of users, but for me this was an easy solution.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

ILikeVoltron posted:

I do this on my macs:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=2005070300463515

$ defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true

May not be a solution for you if you've got lots of users, but for me this was an easy solution.

And what works for you? Is it sticky? After OS updates? I just feel like a NAS side solution is much more robust.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

And what works for you? Is it sticky? After OS updates? I just feel like a NAS side solution is much more robust.

Well, it is a client issue to be honest so fixing it at the client makes sense imo.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Even if DSDontWriteNetworkStores was sticky and a run-once per client 'fix', it still wouldn't solve the issue of people creating files/dirs on local storage first and copying them all recursively to network storage. That should still copy over all those dot files. So manual work arounds don't really exist and hoping for Apple come up with a better solution isn't really realistic. Pretty sure most companies solve this on the host side with their enterprise network storage if they have Macs in the ecosystem.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is this helpful?

https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages/smb.conf.5.html#VETOFILES

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Shaocaholica posted:

I've run the command once, and since then no new DS Files have shown up, this was a few years ago, but I'm not sure it crosses major OS upgrade as I'm still on Yosemite.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

From what I understand that command only stops the .ds_files from being created. Applications may still create their own resource fork type files. You need to use the veto config options on samba. But the original question asked which nas let you do that. I know freenas does, but you don't edit the smb4.conf. You add it in the gui.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Thanks. Not ready to roll my own freenas yet. Anything prebuilt from a reliable company?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Shaocaholica posted:

Thanks. Not ready to roll my own freenas yet. Anything prebuilt from a reliable company?

FreeNAS themselves sell prebuilt units. Pricey though, but small.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Synology NASes let you set a list of veto files for the SMB sharing service.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Overstock.com would be fine for warranty purposes for Synology right?

http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...OBA&searchidx=0

Haven't done much homework yet but any reason not to get the DS1515+ for home use? My initial thoughts are that it has lots of bays for expansion, internal power supply.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
As long as you dont need plex transcoding its a great unit. Tons of power.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Don Lapre posted:

As long as you dont need plex transcoding its a great unit. Tons of power.

I never got into real time transcoding. I've always streamed the native files for any media. Is the whole point to be able to watch stuff on a device that does not support the native format? Seems like that's easily solved by getting a new playback device than trying to get your nas or file share system to transcode it in realtime.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

I never got into real time transcoding. I've always streamed the native files for any media. Is the whole point to be able to watch stuff on a device that does not support the native format? Seems like that's easily solved by getting a new playback device than trying to get your nas or file share system to transcode it in realtime.

Yes. Its for devices that do not support the native format. Like maybe phones, or tivos, or rokus.

It can also be used though for streaming over cellular connections where bandwidth may be limited.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How robust is btrfs on Synology platforms?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
No need to buy an entire new device for every viewer on your server if you can just transcode.

Plus plenty of media formats are not supported natively on most devices

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Get a Smart TV with a Plex player front end. Transcoding problem solved!

All kidding aside, while the "I want to stream TV shows from home over a cell connection while I travel" bit makes sense to me, how many people otherwise actually watch plex stuff on random iPhones or other crappy devices which have crappy enough software ecosystems to not have decent native file support one way or another? I mean, one way or another you can shoe-horn just about any file type "natively" onto an Android device, same with anything Windows or Linux based, so what does that leave?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I guess I'm a bit of a video snob. My setup is mostly Popcorn hour devices which can play native and a Kodi box which is also native. On iOS I use Infuse which is also native. Never really thought to use a console or TV as the player. Just never liked their interfaces from the small sampling I've had.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Office Depot has 3tb reds for $79.99

884738 is sku

http://slickdeals.net/?lno=1&trd=ht...ory_checker.php

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

DrDork posted:

All kidding aside, while the "I want to stream TV shows from home over a cell connection while I travel" bit makes sense to me, how many people otherwise actually watch plex stuff on random iPhones or other crappy devices which have crappy enough software ecosystems to not have decent native file support one way or another? I mean, one way or another you can shoe-horn just about any file type "natively" onto an Android device, same with anything Windows or Linux based, so what does that leave?

This requires having to think ahead about what you will want to watch and being able to know just how much time you're going to be wanting to watch.

It's easier for most/many/some people to just stream.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What's a decent 'on sale' price I can expect on 6tb reds?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Shaocaholica posted:

What's a decent 'on sale' price I can expect on 6tb reds?

The cheapest they've ever been on Amazon is $229. They're currently $239

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

This requires having to think ahead about what you will want to watch and being able to know just how much time you're going to be wanting to watch.

It's easier for most/many/some people to just stream.
But that's entirely my question: what devices are people using that actually require transcoding streaming (other than those utilizing cell connections), vice have some option for robust native file support through a Plex front end and potentially a decoder software package?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

DrDork posted:

But that's entirely my question: what devices are people using that actually require transcoding streaming (other than those utilizing cell connections), vice have some option for robust native file support through a Plex front end and potentially a decoder software package?

I didn't not understand your question to mean this.

It's not entirely uncommon for people to have videos require audio transcoding because they have DTS-SUPERMAXX-MEGA audio encoding.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DrDork posted:

What devices have native 10bit h.264 support with .rear end/.ssa subtitles?

Plus I use mine to keep track of my progress, too

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

PerrineClostermann posted:

What devices have native 10bit h.264 support with .rear end/.ssa subtitles?

Plus I use mine to keep track of my progress, too

AFAIK, Kodi which is not a device but is kind of like one after the initial setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

It's not entirely uncommon for people to have videos require audio transcoding because they have DTS-SUPERMAXX-MEGA audio encoding.
I suppose that makes sense. DTS didn't even occur to me because my main setup simply splits off the audio to a receiver which will happily decode DTS, so I never bother thinking about what audio codec is being used. I know there are some pretty simple Android solutions to DTS as well, but Apple is another story last I checked.