Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I'm 99% sure there are other tilesets that have been mentioned but not shown. And they said on the stream that content updates for Snapmap would be free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

dr_rat posted:

I think the only part of Snapmap that doesn't look really neat is the seemingly limited tile set. So god drat sick of the generic space factory look. If they just added like temple/dungeon and hell cave rooms then I would almost consider buying it on snapmap alone.

...that's going to be in dlc isn't it?

Could be that they're either keeping other tile sets secret till release for some reason, or they aren't ready yet, and yes might end up as DLC, either free or charged

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

AirRaid posted:

I'm 99% sure there are other tilesets that have been mentioned but not shown. And they said on the stream that content updates for Snapmap would be free.

Both great bits of news!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Awesome Welles posted:

God drat, a L4D Versus-type mode sounds like some cool poo poo

Can't wait for the inevitable 2fort remake for CTF too

Yes, Master of Puppets is a fun wad for Doom2.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I'm a retard for getting excited about the game after the trailer

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Ahundredbux posted:

I'm a retard for getting excited about the game after the trailer

well in about 6 hours or so we'll all find out if we're retarded or not. the real metric for the game, the single player, will be streamed on Bethesda's twitch at 2 PM EDT.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

They did use that as the alternative boxart, which is superior to the normal boxart in so many ways its completely inconceivable they picked the normal boxart over it. But that's Bethsoft for you. :doh:

Okay its a little different but pretty much the same thing. Same scene.

Instead they went with the most generic looking not-master-chief and got taken to the cleaners over it.

The box art situation summarizes the game so far. Fingers crossed the singleplayer is worth a play.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PrincessWuffles
Oct 19, 2004

AirRaid posted:

Yes we do. It's been shown in the SP gameplay shown so far that there are separate ammo pickups for different guns in SP placed in maps. They look similar but have different icons for shells, bullets etc on the box. These are already placed in the world. Then there are the ammo pickups you get from killing dudes which appear to be generic 'ammo', but they will give you a specific ammo type.

So you kill 2 imps, they drop a bit of health and ammo. The ammo drop from the first imp gives you some shells. The ammo drop from the second imp gives you some bullets. Then you glory kill a mancubus and it drops a whole load of health and ammo. It gives you rockets. Not sure exactly how it decides what you get from those drops.

The fact that there are different ammo box types for each ammo box in SP would make me think that those would also be in SnapMap as an option but I haven't seen that confirmed.

Right. Good. I had forgotten. Thank you.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I imagine the ammo pickup is a single pickup but can be changed to be specific items, or set to be random on spawn or on pickup.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

What in God's loving name are these consumable MP perks that they are apparently offering for pre-orders?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

GlitchThief posted:

What in God's loving name are these consumable MP perks that they are apparently offering for pre-orders?

minor powerups that do things like grant bonus xp to unlock more pretty colors, highlighting the guy who killed you on the map (useful as gently caress if its the demon), showing you item spawn timers, and other minor things. they are given as post match rewards

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Interesting. Knowing that they'll continue to be distributed through play calms my cynicism.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

dr_rat posted:

I think the only part of Snapmap that doesn't look really neat is the seemingly limited tile set. So god drat sick of the generic space factory look. If they just added like temple/dungeon and hell cave rooms then I would almost consider buying it on snapmap alone.

...that's going to be in dlc isn't it?

I don't think we can fully sculpt the rooms, but I do think there's multiple tilesets per room type, essentially how Timesplitters did it. (I love me some Timesplitters)

So you should be able to switch from techbase to like, temple/dungeon, although the shape of the rooms will stay mostly the same. (but hopefully there's lots of room shapes, plus you can put all kinds of object geometry inside the levels wherever you want)

Halo Forge doesn't have pre-built rooms, but doens't really do interior spaces at all, you just kinda throw objects into an outdoor area and pile them up.

It'd be nice if SnapMap gave us some huge outdoor area space as well as the interior spaces, but as long as there's some cool tilesets and lots of room shape options, we should be okay anyways. Lots of potential.

GlitchThief posted:

Interesting. Knowing that they'll continue to be distributed through play calms my cynicism.

Yeah, its at least not an obvious cash-grab pay2win system, but it still feels awfully shoehorned in and inappropriate to Doom.

I've pretty much written off the MP entirely at this point, but SnapMap is so cool that if the SP is also cool then I'll be fine plonking down to buy this even ignoring the MP completely. If the SP sucks though then SnapMap probably isn't enough on its own to sell me. Maybe if it goes on discount later. Hoping SP is cool since MP was mostly Certain Affinity.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Look, you may be the biggest badass in not just the galaxy but the entire loving universe, but I'm a Colonel so you're going to respect my authority!

God drat Halo 4 was stupid.

There were moments that I really liked the idea of, but yeah it was a fat dump overall.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
*rubbing hands together* ohhhh yeah I can't wait to get me some AIDS

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I am kind of looking forward to this game for the single player but have absolutely no desire to do the multiplayer (wanna slaughter demons with huge guns while listening to rock music, not so much get killed endlessly by teenagers and college kids with no jobs and stare at respawn screens all day.)

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Black Baby Goku posted:

*rubbing hands together* ohhhh yeah I can't wait to get me some AIDS

Same.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

GlitchThief posted:

From what I've gathered the main function of the hack modules is to offer "candy," i.e. constant rewards through playing to entice you to keep playing. It's basic skinner box poo poo really. The effects that they do are minor at best, and all the important ones really do is emulate stuff pro-level CPMA players do in their head.

The vibe I got from MP is that it really feels like a casual, kick-back-and-relax party type of multiplayer, similar to Nintendo games like Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart. Honestly, given that the current tone of most online multiplayer shooters is all serious all the time esporks nonsense, I'm glad to see something like this where you're not meant to take poo poo too seriously.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

i still have hope!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

In 30 minutes we will find out if SP is any good.

tune in here:-

https://www.twitch.tv/bethesda

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Really looking forward to "Returd" fellas.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Segmentation Fault posted:

From what I've gathered the main function of the hack modules is to offer "candy," i.e. constant rewards through playing to entice you to keep playing. It's basic skinner box poo poo really. The effects that they do are minor at best, and all the important ones really do is emulate stuff pro-level CPMA players do in their head.

The vibe I got from MP is that it really feels like a casual, kick-back-and-relax party type of multiplayer, similar to Nintendo games like Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart. Honestly, given that the current tone of most online multiplayer shooters is all serious all the time esporks nonsense, I'm glad to see something like this where you're not meant to take poo poo too seriously.

Overwatch does that better, though. At least IMO.

Overwatch gives you a constant drip of rewards, but they're all cosmetic. No need to have some random minor power rewards. And its definitely hitting that "pop-in/pop-out casual multiplayer" angle. I can see what you mean about Doom working that way too, but I just didn't enjoy it all that much even as a casual experience.

So much of the game is about camping the demon rune and then just rolling the other team when you do. Its not even fun being on the team with the guy who gets the rune since you just kinda stand there. The only person who has fun is the guy who manages to get the rune. Its like having a Quake map where the only weapon pickup is a single insta-gib rocket launcher, and everybody just camps that one spawn point with their default machine guns.

Al-Saqr posted:

In 30 minutes we will find out if SP is any good.

tune in here:-

https://www.twitch.tv/bethesda

This is what is going to make or break the game.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

HEEEEREEE WEEEEE GOOOOOOOOOO

nice techno music while we wait.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

oh thank god they canceled the weapon wheel from the get go.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

The basic zombies are complete and utter chumps.

mission map!

they really shouldve used a mouse and keyboard for this demo.

why why why are they showing off the slow starting level.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Cool, you can turn off a ton of the HUD if you want, FOV controls too on console.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

most importantly, you can turn off the glory kill highlight on enemies

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Since I'm stuck at work, I'm grateful for those of you reporting on this. Thank you.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
There's a map! Enemy density is kind of high!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Alright, I'm gonna bow out. Singleplayer looks good enough and singleplayer snap maps are going to be really cool.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

it's really wierd how much customization there is for the singleplayer weapons and armor.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
There's an Ironman Nightmare Difficulty mode.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Wait, are those System Shock 2 style psychic exposition ghosts?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

A.o.D. posted:

There's a map! Enemy density is kind of high!

Movement is still pretty fast!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Prenton posted:

Wait, are those System Shock 2 style psychic exposition ghosts?

there's no cutscenes so they just do stuff ingame if you want to watch it or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
The 3D map looked fairly complex and layered when he briefly brought it up.

Interested in hearing if Ultra-Violence increases enemy count.

Also, the style of this sort of makes me think of Doom 64.