Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fivegears4reverse posted:

This is the dumbest part of that quote. There's absolutely no way to guarantee that this will or will not become the new normal. Maybe the PS4K crashes and burns so hard it takes Playstation as a whole down. Maybe its such a retarded success that we never see a proper PS5. Maybe it sells "fine" and Sony actually lives up to its promises to maintain support for original PS4s that almost 40 million people worldwide own, while also supporting the PS4K. Maybe the new Xbox is competetive. Maybe the NX maintains the old cycle and crushes the others.

It's kinda hard to actually have discussions about this online, especially around here, because if people aren't smashing their faces against their keyboards in hysterics trying to comprehend this new thing that is actually happening, they are trying to race other shitposters to the dankest hot-take the internet/Something Awful has ever seen.

Wow way to kill the thread dude :rolleyes: I liked your post :shobon:

News has been somewhat scarce which is also kind of weird since all three console manufacturers seem content with letting the internet do its thing. We'll probably have an idea on if these rumors are impacting current sales tomorrow, when Japan's weekly sales numbers come in. Heard Giantbomb discuss in circles about the PS4Neo, they as individuals seem less than keen on the whole idea.

Some clarifications on the policies in the documents:

All games releasing in September will be required to have enhanced Neo capability, which can be supplied via a Day One downloadable patch.

All games releasing October onwards will be required to have enhanced Neo capability already on the finalized pressed discs (i.e. can benefit from Neo functionality even without an internet connection if the game otherwise allows this).

This has the interesting effect of effectively forcing that, at least graphically, the "new" games will be better than the "old" games; FIFA 17 could be FIFA 16 with a roster update but as it will also have a forced graphics boost, people going whole hog into 4K will be wanting to pick the latest sports games up too. Ditto for Call of Duty, the next Battlefield etc.

On the PC side, good news: Some benchmark leaks suggest AMD's latest card can actually hit 4k60 in games.

Bad news: It's basically a 2-in-1 SLI card which costs $1500USD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

univbee posted:

On the PC side, good news: Some benchmark leaks suggest AMD's latest card can actually hit 4k60 in games.

Bad news: It's basically a 2-in-1 SLI card which costs $1500USD.

but can it runs gears of war 4 and quantum break

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ethanol posted:

but can it runs gears of war 4 and quantum break

Given AMD's Windows 10 App performance, probably not.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

theultimo posted:

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidGalindo/20160422/271014/The_Case_for_the_PS4K.php

It is a completely different shift to what we're used to. No longer will we be filing into the theater in a secret event broadcast streamed to the world, waiting to see what's underneath the curtain. The glamor and hype of a new console can now be broken down to what essentially are patch notes. Here's what's new in New Console 2017: a new GPU here, some CPU improvements here, runs all the same games, cya in 2020 for the next system.

It is certainly the biggest disappointment in this, if only because the spectacle of a new console launch is so much fun. But it is probably gone forever.

So what does that leave us with? A brand new console, coming way sooner than anyone has expected, that changes a generational cycle into a constantly refreshed cycle. No longer are there gaps in these product generations that allow for consumers to jump to other platforms, at least not one that's easily discernible. You probably didn't know it at the time, but that copy of Knack you bought in 2013 will be playable in 2023, on new hardware.

A lot of assumptions from someone who didn't see Sony drop the PSPGo immediately and kill vita support 1 day in and thinks Sony will support the older models in definately

See you in 2020? I will be surprised if Sony/MS don't try to make this an annual release cadence like Apple has done with iPhone.

xbone.75 coming holiday 2017

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

univbee posted:

News has been somewhat scarce which is also kind of weird since all three console manufacturers seem content with letting the internet do its thing.

I hope that MS stays true to form, listens to the internet feedback, and doubles down on what people hate about incremental console upgrades.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

See you in 2020? I will be surprised if Sony/MS don't try to make this an annual release cadence like Apple has done with iPhone.

Yeah, if they start doing far more regular releases they're going to have a hard time adding in major new stuff, because people who buy what turns out to be the final "PS4" (the PS4.99999999...) in 2019 for $399 aren't going to be happy when the PS5 does a total do-over in 2020 for only $399.

This could have some interesting implications in future, and it sounds like Sony is dictating the terms pretty hard this time to keep devs from burning early (a.k.a. not late enough) adopters.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

I hope that MS stays true to form, listens to the internet feedback, and doubles down on what people hate about incremental console upgrades.

They'll build the Kinect into the console this time. No unpairing ever. :unsmigghh:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I'm pretty sure that spencer's comments about upgraded xboxs were just trial balloons with no solid plans behind them and the sony leak probably has them scrambling to put something together in time for e3 the exact same way the original bone was slapped together.

idk if there's the will among the big wigs at MS to let their poorly performing video game division continue to compete as more than 3rd party branded xbox steam machines though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I feel like they'll announce their next mobile game but not anything about NX.

Nintendo only ever talks about their
Mobile games during business calls, which probably says a lot about what they think of them.

Console games, though, get the fun and fanfare of E3 or Nintendo Directs.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
They could announce a date for a Direct, or announce the NX's actual name, without actually unveiling it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
nintendo is a company full of idiots. like its 2016 and theyre JUST releasing an AR pokemon game? like how is there no giant 3d pokemon RPG/MMO? how? how the gently caress is that possible?? NO follow up to pokemon snap and now its year god drat two thousand sixteen? every single person on earth has a camera in their pocket at all times and you cant figure out how to make that poo poo happen? gently caress off.

they should have been working on that poo poo since 1999, just sitting on the idea until technology caught up. a building full of fuckin rubes, the lot of them.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i had no idea you liked pokemon so much 32 mb of esram

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ethanol posted:

i had no idea you liked pokemon so much 32 mb of esram
i have a hard time believing people who say they dont tbh

if someone comes up to me and says "yeah having a pet bulbasaur would be totally lame" well i just peace the heck out of there, no redeeming that one

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

nintendo is a company full of idiots. like its 2016 and theyre JUST releasing an AR pokemon game? like how is there no giant 3d pokemon RPG/MMO? how? how the gently caress is that possible?? NO follow up to pokemon snap and now its year god drat two thousand sixteen? every single person on earth has a camera in their pocket at all times and you cant figure out how to make that poo poo happen? gently caress off.

they should have been working on that poo poo since 1999, just sitting on the idea until technology caught up. a building full of fuckin rubes, the lot of them.

While waiting for Nintendo's report let's watch this TAS speedrun of someone literally catching them all without using glitches (and thus running two carts simultaneously by necessity because Nintendo has scoffed at the idea of DLC costing less than an entire 2nd copy of the game for over two decades)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ivGNZs_Mvw

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

i have a hard time believing people who say they dont tbh

if someone comes up to me and says "yeah having a pet bulbasaur would be totally lame" well i just peace the heck out of there, no redeeming that one

pokemon are really cool but i really can't imagine how people have the patience to play through more than one or two of the grindy low rent jrpgs that contain them

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HMS Boromir posted:

pokemon are really cool but i really can't imagine how people have the patience to play through more than one or two of the grindy low rent jrpgs that contain them

agreed. my pitch:

u run a small pokemon blog. its up to u to bike around town and find cool pokemon to take pictures of for ur blog. sometimes you can help people around town on quests and they will in turn call you later on when they see a cool pokemon "Hey theres a Charizard taking a drink by the lake! Hurry he won't be here long!" So you hop on your bike and try to get to that part of town and hope it's still there, but there's other cool stuff on the way to distract you. There's also little kids running around town and they will offer to tell you where something cool is for a few bucks($$$$real world money why not$$$$). That's basically the lottery portion(gotta have gambling) and sometimes the kids will be right, sometimes they will be lying and its just a kakuna.

anyways as you get better and take more pics your blog gets more popular and eventually you can travel from your small single player town to the MMO portion where now you're racing other photographers to the good pokemon making all the allies and friends you can to get the best scoops before the other bloggers. there is irl twitter integration so the pics you take get automatically posted and irl retweets increase your in-game blog popularity.

idk im just an ideas guy my uncle makes the games.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 26, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

agreed. my pitch:

u run a small pokemon blog. its up to u to bike around town and find cool pokemon to take pictures of for ur blog. sometimes you can help people around town on quests and they will in turn call you later on when they see a cool pokemon "Hey theres a Charizard taking a drink by the lake! Hurry he won't be here long!" So you hop on your bike and try to get to that part of town and hope it's still there, but there's other cool stuff on the way to distract you. There's also little kids running around town and they will offer to tell you where something cool is for a few bucks($$$$real world money why not$$$$). That's basically the lottery portion(gotta have gambling) and sometimes the kids will be right, sometimes they will be lying and its just a kakuna.

anyways as you get better and take more pics your blog gets more popular and eventually you can travel from your small single player town to the MMO portion where now you're racing other photographers to the good pokemon making all the allies and friends you can to get the best scoops before the other bloggers. there is irl twitter integration so the pics you take get automatically posted and irl retweets increase your in-game blog popularity.

idk im just an ideas guy my uncle makes the games.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

agreed. my pitch:

what if the pokemon were playing beach volleyball

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HyperPuma posted:

what if the pokemon were playing beach volleyball

sounds like virtualboy 2's killer app

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The biggest hurdle these new-new consoles have outside of convincing people to bite at the price is what's the magic number for games that perform/look/are generally better on the new hardware than the old. Not try to out perform the old machines too much and what's the point of buying the next in line. Push in the opposite and your piss off your at least larger 4.0 consumer base for Sony. I personally can't see them avoiding at least one of these unless the planets align, people all over have a lot more disposable income and there are so many "good" games for both incarnations that they cover their bases as much as humanly possible.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Crabtree posted:

The biggest hurdle these new-new consoles have outside of convincing people to bite at the price is what's the magic number for games that perform/look/are generally better on the new hardware than the old. Not try to out perform the old machines too much and what's the point of buying the next in line. Push in the opposite and your piss off your at least larger 4.0 consumer base for Sony. I personally can't see them avoiding at least one of these unless the planets align, people all over have a lot more disposable income and there are so many "good" games for both incarnations that they cover their bases as much as humanly possible.

Sony is requiring higher numbers for all games on ps4k and praying that devs dont gently caress them over and deliver broke games for the base model (consumers dont seem to care about sub 30 fps games on the current model now but i assume theres a floor to what is acceptable to the average player)

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Real hurthling! posted:

Sony is requiring higher numbers for all games on ps4k and praying that devs dont gently caress them over and deliver broke games for the base model (consumers dont seem to care about sub 30 fps games on the current model now but i assume theres a floor to what is acceptable to the average player)

It's hard to screw people off over resolution and framerate when the problem of bad graphics of the "pspoor" is neither but just a problem of content creation.

I played Saints Row The Third on both pc and ps3 and the ps3 version was still doing a worthy job with making the game playable and the world recognizable, even if the PC graphical quality was way better (got the ps3 version thanks to psplus). If anything if the psneo has the same bus and architecture devs can program on the ps4 and just throw some better graphical features, like more textures cached in the Division :argh:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Just announced:

NX releases March 2017. Will NOT be at E3 !?

Also, the new Zelda has been delayed to 2017, and an NX version is officially confirmed.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Also:
https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/725231995794628608

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

AC is p much the best IP they could pick for that. FE has a big cast that they're already using in a cardgame, so they could make something like a gatcha that's modeled after stuff like Granblue, FF Record Keeper, and Tales of Link, or make it revolve around mini-SRPG battles.

Motto fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 27, 2016

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Well, that was deleted quickly.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Animal Crossing is already a "check in every day and play for a few minutes then put it down" type of game already so it's honestly not surprising that they'd go mobile with it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A second gen xbox one was planned in 2014 and entered production 2 months ago according to a picture of a computer screen in japanese i saw today

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

A second gen xbox one was planned in 2014 and entered production 2 months ago according to a picture of a computer screen in japanese i saw today

Pretty sure that was Chinese, actually.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

if it was planned that far in advance, i'm wondering if it isn't so much an upgrade as it is a redesign of existing hardware, like a slim model or something.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

Animal Crossing is already a "check in every day and play for a few minutes then put it down" type of game already so it's honestly not surprising that they'd go mobile with it.

Sounds like they're just making a companion app for the console versions, though, rather than a real AC game. I feel like it will be like Happy Home Designer or whatever, which would be a shame imo

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Instant Sunrise posted:

if it was planned that far in advance, i'm wondering if it isn't so much an upgrade as it is a redesign of existing hardware, like a slim model or something.

Titanfall hadn't even launched yet when the planning for this started, seems pretty likely it's just a slim.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The Xbox one is already really small; can't see it getting any smaller

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

ethanol posted:

The Xbox one is already really small; can't see it getting any smaller

Your joking right

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Bass Bottles posted:

Also, the new Zelda has been delayed to 2017, and an NX version is officially confirmed.

:monocle:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Friends, exciting news. Microsoft is making another new version of the Xbox One controller!!! This will be.... version 4? I think.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

Friends, exciting news. Microsoft is making another new version of the Xbox One controller!!! This will be.... version 4? I think.

If you count the Elite controller, yes.

Also potentially a new Elite Console SKU.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

If you count the Elite controller, yes.

Also potentially a new Elite Console SKU.

Elite controller with 1tb hdd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Elite controller with 1tb hdd

As in the controller itself has 1 tb of storage? I'm down.

• Locked thread