Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Uchi sprinting R1 has a ton of reach. The weapon art R1 is nice too because of the sweep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Check where irina should be.

Yeah i found that courtesy of a message. I'm going to trade the coiled sword fragment since i don't use homeward bones much anyway and anotehr titanite slab is far better

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Twin axes weapon art are the greatest way to abuse no poise. Spin to win lads

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSmfZ-YEST8

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Babe Magnet posted:

Uchi sprinting R1 has a ton of reach. The weapon art R1 is nice too because of the sweep

Uchi R1 is also easy to parry, if the amount of times I've been parried is any indication. I've learned to stop doing it when people who know what they're doing are facing me, but it's fantastic for punishing runners and chuggers.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Oh gently caress me, I didn't pay attention and see that the Dragon Crest Shield was upgraded with Twinkling Titanite. I just kicked myself up from the +5 reinforcement to +10 reinforcement area for co-op and invasions, when I was intentionally keeping myself a little lower. :(

Goddamn this pissed me off. I was avoiding that top rank of upgraded weapons on purpose because I kept getting people who would 2-shot me, and wanted a slower pace for PVP. I just ruined a character with 50 hours on it in under 3 seconds.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 27, 2016

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I'm going into NG+ and I'm going to have to try to do PvP covenants for achievements and everyone's gonna clown on me. Do I have to respec into dex before I go and flame up a rapier like an rear end in a top hat? I mean if poise is fake I have to go fast like everyone else, right?

What's the best str weapon you can cast sunlight weapon on? I can't find anything better than executioner's greatsword but then I miss and stab stab stab with a flamed up rapier and I"m dead in less than one second.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

working as intended

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Every time someone posts "balance is impossible, there's always an optimal build" I wonder what kind of poor, deprived gaming life they've lived. Like, have you never played a good multiplayer game? What happened to you to make you think that "lovely balance" and "total homogeneity" are the only possibilities? It's possible to do better! :unsmith:

No - I definitely have played good MP games. I'm saying Soulsborne is NOT one. I think the ones that do it well are focused on MP, and that's clearly not the focus here. It's an add-on to the single player game for the most part, not the end-all, be-all.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

il serpente cosmico posted:

I beat the Dancer last night and then tried to help some people out with co-op afterwards. Two things: I think the fight is actually easier solo, because she is more predictable, and her 360 attacks nullify the advantage that multiple people usually have against bosses. She also hits like a truck, and giving her more HP extends the fight and increases the chances that she'll catch you with a nasty combo that'll end it.

I summoned a sunbro with one of the giant fuckoff shields for that fight because I am a thortheror and having a big chunk of metal for her to focus on allowed me to pewpew with wild abandon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dual weapons are pure fun. Drang Hammers, the dual axes, and the Twinswords all own so hard.

Krinkle posted:

I'm going into NG+ and I'm going to have to try to do PvP covenants for achievements and everyone's gonna clown on me. Do I have to respec into dex before I go and flame up a rapier like an rear end in a top hat? I mean if poise is fake I have to go fast like everyone else, right?

What's the best str weapon you can cast sunlight weapon on? I can't find anything better than executioner's greatsword but then I miss and stab stab stab with a flamed up rapier and I"m dead in less than one second.

NG+ isn't separated from NG for PvP purposes, so assuming your SL doesn't shoot up you'll be matching with the same level/weapon range as you are now.

Best option is a quality build, honestly. Weapon buffs are good but they're not the end-all be-all like they could be in DS1. If you want cheap wins against mediocre players, get yourself an Estoc, make it Refined, go 40/40 Str/Dex, and proceed to poke everyone to death.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ah, thank you.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I should just assume that I'll be banned if I enable poise, right?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zDMj0T8Gh4&t=121s

Based on that, it looks like the Caestus weapon art makes you completely unstaggerable for a few seconds which seems like it could be pretty useful.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

Dual weapons are pure fun. Drang Hammers, the dual axes, and the Twinswords all own so hard.

Yeah I've been loving the Drang Hammers, especially for PvP, and I'm surprised more people don't use them. The L1 combo when two-handing them pretty reliably demolishes people and it doesn't take much stamina so you can spam it for longer than you'd think.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zDMj0T8Gh4&t=121s

Based on that, it looks like the Caestus weapon art makes you completely unstaggerable for a few seconds which seems like it could be pretty useful.

Its not. If you use it close enough for those seconds to actually matter, you're going to be hit. You're also going to be hit while you're unstaggerable (because otherwise whats the point) and no amount of caestus punches will make the damage you're about to take worth it.

In theory it's awesome. Free punches! In practice, you glow for a second and then someone slaps you for 600 damage while you do two punches for 80 each and then they roll away.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Krinkle posted:

Heavy Dark Sword is pretty op if you want something fast

Lothric Knight Greatsword has innate lightning damage already and hits like a truck

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

So is the patch still tanking framerates for PS4 or did they fix that when they brought the servers up? It'd be nice to be able to get the patch and get online.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Adjustment to twinswords might be tweaking the warden blades so they don't basically cause instant bleed if you apply carthus rogue to them.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The warden twinblades has such a fun moveset

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Internet Kraken posted:

Adjustment to twinswords might be tweaking the warden blades so they don't basically cause instant bleed if you apply carthus rogue to them.

God I hope not

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

ZenVulgarity posted:

The warden twinblades has such a fun moveset

I fought someone who used them and they did look cool as poo poo. Then I got hit like twice and it procced the bleed effect, it was nuts.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Man, that mini Vordt in Grand Archives is super tough. He just keeps on attacking, and his attacks are so fast AND he's got some range. It's like he's got no stamina meter to worry about at all. I'm currently stuck on him.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Azazell0 posted:

Man, that mini Vordt in Grand Archives is super tough. He just keeps on attacking, and his attacks are so fast AND he's got some range. It's like he's got no stamina meter to worry about at all. I'm currently stuck on him.
Fire enchant your weapon and he dies in no time

And like pretty much everything in the game, roll through his attacks, not away from them

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Cyberventurer posted:

Oh gently caress me, I didn't pay attention and see that the Dragon Crest Shield was upgraded with Twinkling Titanite. I just kicked myself up from the +5 reinforcement to +10 reinforcement area for co-op and invasions, when I was intentionally keeping myself a little lower. :(

Goddamn this pissed me off. I was avoiding that top rank of upgraded weapons on purpose because I kept getting people who would 2-shot me, and wanted a slower pace for PVP. I just ruined a character with 50 hours on it in under 3 seconds.

Yeah I ended up ruining my twink doing exactly the same thing, you gotta be really careful upgrading stuff because even 1+ can mess up your curve forever.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Robo Reagan posted:

I should just assume that I'll be banned if I enable poise, right?

Yes (as you should be).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cyberventurer posted:

Is there somewhere I can read what the tiers are so this doesn't happen to me?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I just hope they aren't nerfing the Gotthard Twinswords. Like, they're very super good weapons, but they're also really fun, and I still wouldn't call them any more OP than any other straight sword so :v:

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Supposedly, along with level, there are reinforcement brackets that you fit into with a swing of 2. So if your highest-upgraded item is +3 with regular titanite (whether or not you're using, or still own the item), you'll get matched with anyone who has +1 to +5. Items that only go up to 5, because of twinkling or scale, count for double. I was keeping myself at +5, was about to do the soul of cinder and thought I should upgrade a shield with better fire resistance...up to 5. :downs:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Anri's Straight Sword with Carthus Rouge is better than I hoped it would be :stare:

I've been invading in cathedral with it, and while it's almost impossible to find a host there, I had a lot of fun in a lobby where the host was hiding with Way of the Blue on and a seed popped so I could gank cops outside endlessly. I kept bringing the giant leech amalgamation things into fights with the cops and that made setting off bleed effects too easy. I don't think I ran into one guy that bothered pulling a torch out after getting covered in bugs. I even saw a guy get murdered in the zombie maze :golfclap:

Why are blue cops always so bad?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I wannt shoot lasers

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This is from a couple of days ago, but this is one of the more thoughtful discussions of the ol' "Dark Souls easy mode" topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5tPJDZv_VE

Of course it's also irrelevant because Dark Souls III is already out and we ain't getting another (for a long while, at least).

Internet Kraken posted:

It's just +/-2, and weapons that max at +5 count as double.

Broseph Brostar posted:

Anri's Straight Sword with Carthus Rouge is better than I hoped it would be :stare:

I've been invading in cathedral with it, and while it's almost impossible to find a host there, I had a lot of fun in a lobby where the host was hiding with Way of the Blue on and a seed popped so I could gank cops outside endlessly. I kept bringing the giant leech amalgamation things into fights with the cops and that made setting off bleed effects too easy. I don't think I ran into one guy that bothered pulling a torch out after getting covered in bugs. I even saw a guy get murdered in the zombie maze :golfclap:

Why are blue cops always so bad?

Yeah, there's a reason Anri's + Carthus Rouge is what speedrunners use. It's absolutely withering damage.

Also I feel like I gotta stand up for bluecops because I'm a Darkmoon and I think I've only ever lost once, even when it was 2 invaders vs. just me because the host and his phantoms hosed off to go do the level. :colbert:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Of course it's also irrelevant because Dark Souls III is already out and we ain't getting another (for a long while, at least).

lol if you think from isn't making Bloodborne 2 or something equally similar right now

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Man I've ran into this one extremely boring mage 3 times now, they just sit back and wait for me to try and do anything and attempt that really dumb homing crystal mass + spear combo. Out of spite I wound up figuring out a way to take roughly 8% damage from magic without resorting to wearing full havels. Wearing the faith ring and +1 faith from a level up I can cast magic barrier, which combined with pontiff knight crown/armor, cathedral knight gauntlets and havel pants + the magic resistance ring gets me to 59% magic absorb, while blocking with a sacred bloom or lothric knight great shield gives me 80% magic block.
Of course having taken the effort to figure this out I'll probably never run into one of these really boring sorcerers again and wind up having done nothing but waste my own time.

Cyberventurer posted:

Supposedly, along with level, there are reinforcement brackets that you fit into with a swing of 2. So if your highest-upgraded item is +3 with regular titanite (whether or not you're using, or still own the item), you'll get matched with anyone who has +1 to +5. Items that only go up to 5, because of twinkling or scale, count for double. I was keeping myself at +5, was about to do the soul of cinder and thought I should upgrade a shield with better fire resistance...up to 5. :downs:

Pretty sure if you put that thing in your bonfire box it'll stop counting towards your matchmaking.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

I wannt shoot lasers

Got some good news for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7SAF-So9Pc

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andrast posted:

lol if you think from isn't making Bloodborne 2 or something equally similar right now

We can only hope.

I just read all of Miyazaki's statements in light of what he said back in that GameSpot article, where it didn't just sound like Dark Souls was ending but all Souls-like games out of From Soft, at least for a while. That'd include Bloodborne, too. Or maybe he just meant the settings, that he wants From to be done with both the Dark Souls and Bloodborne settings but the gameplay style is sticking around.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 27, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
gently caress me I have such upgrader's block. I'm basically at Yorshka Church and I have a +3 butcher knife and the demon's great axe at like +1.

I need to find some infusable good weapons and go to town.

:/

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Andrast posted:

Didn't Miyazaki outright state he wasn't interested in making another Souls game or equivalent gameplay wise, which meant Bloodborne as well?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

GulagDolls posted:

working as intended
it's actually not very good 'cause you can literally just roll out of it, it doesn't do that much hitstun

the people in that video just aren't for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I murdered the socerer guy for his clothes though

Am I hosed until another playgthrough/NG+?