Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Whoever it was at NOA that had a hardon for making xenoblade hsrd to get must have gotten the boot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i trust nintendo

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light
Wow, people are really upset about the NX missing E3, huh? Andre from GameXplain was so depressed about it I could actually understand what he was saying for once.

I think this might be a good thing, really. If they're not announcing a new console at E3 they can focus on games instead, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were more Wii U games in the pipeline, considering what Kimishima said about the NX not replacing the Wii U. They'd be released on the NX as well, obviously, but there's no reason why they couldn't show off footage from the Wii U version at E3. And even if I'm completely wrong, we're still getting info about Zelda, Pokemon, Paper Mario and probably some unannounced 3DS games, so it's not going to be completely terrible.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
It'd be pretty surreal if there's a fair number of NX Q1/Q2 2017 launch titles that were at 0 E3s. Games not going to E3 from a major dev is pretty bold.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The real reason they aren't doing any NX reveals at E3 is because they're devoting all their E3 budget to the Nintendo World Championships 2016.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

jivjov posted:

The real reason they aren't doing any NX reveals at E3 is because they're devoting all their E3 budget to the Nintendo World Championships 2016.

I seriously hope that does become an annual event.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I have been thinking about it and it does make sense to release in March. You're not competing with any kind of hardware release from the Xbox or Playstation, people still buy consoles regardless of when they are launched, and having a full 9 months to build a catalogue of games gives them software to use as pack-in value adds in the fall. And you can charge a little more as well with that software included.

I also think that this is in part because of how the WiiU had to have some fairly big OS changes in the first few months of release. Get that stuff out of the way earlier in the year and when the larger market buys one in the fall they already have the more obvious issues addressed.

In either case, I just want to know what the gently caress this thing actually is because I have no idea outside of the fact that it is a console and has the company name Nintendo on it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the launch lineup is going to be tepid just like nearly every other console

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

People need to stop conflating E3 with the Direct that occurs during E3. Saying that something won't be at E3 just means it won't be available to the public on the showfloor, not that we won't hear about it at all.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Motto posted:

the launch lineup is going to be tepid just like nearly every other console

Didn't we have this exact conversation like a week ago and most of us agreed that the Wii had a good bunch of launch titles?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

jivjov posted:

jivjov you're alive!!!!!

It's an E3 miracle

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ometeotl posted:

People need to stop conflating E3 with the Direct that occurs during E3. Saying that something won't be at E3 just means it won't be available to the public on the showfloor, not that we won't hear about it at all.
They said specifically that features, price, and lineup of NX will be announced at the end of the year, so I don't really see wiggle room there to have NX show up at E3 unless it's the teasiest tease

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Quest For Glory II posted:

They said specifically that features, price, and lineup of NX will be announced at the end of the year, so I don't really see wiggle room there to have NX show up at E3 unless it's the teasiest tease

By the end of the year, so there is a non-zero chance of some slight NX information at E3.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

This is the new Zelda and it is running on our new Nintendo NX video game console

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
They are going to show a tech demo for the NX of Mario with a machine gun mowing down Goombas and all of the adults are going to lose their poo poo in excitement. Mario is going to be smoking a cigar and have a scar on his face too

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Maybe people are hoping for something similar to E3 2005 where they "announced" Metroid Prime 3 and it was just like, hey check out Samus, check it out she's got a new ship. It's a slim ship. Okay enough Samus let's talk 'bout some doggies. It was like twenty seconds of in-engine footage and that was it, but it was still something.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Didn't we have this exact conversation like a week ago and most of us agreed that the Wii had a good bunch of launch titles?

What was the Wii launch line-up? All I remember was Twilight Princess and Red Steel. If they were even launch titles, I don't remember.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

In either case, I just want to know what the gently caress this thing actually is because I have no idea outside of the fact that it is a console and has the company name Nintendo on it.

thats all i need to know

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Literally the only info I need to hear about is their plans for Smash when the NX launches. Still really hoping they just port the game over so they don't have to rebuild from scratch again for a 3.5...th time and devote all Smash dev time on DLC

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Oh dear.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well, it's true. Iwata has really dropped the ball here. When is the last time he said anything about all of this? It's Iwata SAYS not Iwata's SILENCE, Nintendo.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

Wow, people are really upset about the NX missing E3, huh? Andre from GameXplain was so depressed about it I could actually understand what he was saying for once.
It's funny, like do people think that there's a huge section of consumers that will decide not to buy a console because it didn't have an E3 presentation? Surprise, only shut-in nerds like us goons care, and the only tangible effect this will have on Nintendo is the money they'll save by not doing a silly presentation.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Minidust posted:

It's funny, like do people think that there's a huge section of consumers that will decide not to buy a console because it didn't have an E3 presentation? Surprise, only shut-in nerds like us goons care, and the only tangible effect this will have on Nintendo is the money they'll save by not doing a silly presentation.

It has actually doomed the company, a panel of neogaf experts say.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm glad nintendo is going to focus on making video games so that their upcoming console, when they feel comfortable with revealing it, will actually have video games to go along with it

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

I think this might be a good thing, really. If they're not announcing a new console at E3 they can focus on games instead, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were more Wii U games in the pipeline, considering what Kimishima said about the NX not replacing the Wii U. They'd be released on the NX as well, obviously, but there's no reason why they couldn't show off footage from the Wii U version at E3. And even if I'm completely wrong, we're still getting info about Zelda, Pokemon, Paper Mario and probably some unannounced 3DS games, so it's not going to be completely terrible.

Listening to them and I hope Andre starts crying.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Macaluso posted:

Literally the only info I need to hear about is their plans for Smash when the NX launches. Still really hoping they just port the game over so they don't have to rebuild from scratch again for a 3.5...th time and devote all Smash dev time on DLC

i don't want any more dlc, i want a robust re-balancing so that Roy isn't worthless compared to all the other dlc characters

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
"Kimishima said the NX won't replace the Wii U"
"That is such a load of horsecrap"
Andre is going maverick :ohdear:

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Why is showing off a console at E3 is a big deal in 2016? also wasn't the xbox one and PS4 shown off before E3 at their own press event? i am sure Jim Stirring is shiting on Nintendo even though he thinks E3 is a Zoo and most of the gaming media hate the event.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 27, 2016

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Fortunately nobody at Nintendo will understand what he's saying so they won't blacklist GamExplain like they did TheBitBlock

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Ometeotl posted:

Yes. A LOT of games got shown off on the Treehouse live stream that were not playable on the floor. The only notable games that they had to play at E3 2015 were Star Fox Zero, Zelda Triforce Heroes, Mario Maker, Metroid Prime Federation Forces, Yoshi's Woolly World, and Mario Tennis Ultra Smash

On the Treehouse stream they had all those, plus Skylanders, Fire Emblem Fates, Animal Crossing Home Designer, Mario and Luigi Paper Jam, Runbow, CHibi-Robo, Yokai Watch, Animal crossing Amiibo Festival, Fast Racing Neo, Metroid Prime Blast Ball, Pokemon SUper Mystery Dungeon, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Mutant Mudds Super Challenge, Steamworld Heist...

I could see them not having this locked down until the end of the year, but also don't know why they would do this right before Christmas. Who is going to get a Wii U when there is a new console on the horizon?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

i don't want any more dlc, i want a robust re-balancing so that Roy isn't worthless compared to all the other dlc characters

I mean ideally balancing would happen as well, but Roy is terrible and should be deleted from the game

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Macaluso posted:

I mean ideally balancing would happen as well, but Roy is terrible and should be deleted from the game

But then we won't have a full set of Koopalings anymore

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

less laughter posted:

But then we won't have a full set of Koopalings anymore

I would never deny any Koopalings to participate in Smash and I will not stand for such slander

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DoctorWhat posted:

this, but for Dedede

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Based on the Smash thread I thought Roy was good, or at least the best out of him, Marth, and Luce.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Motto posted:

Based on the Smash thread I thought Roy was good, or at least the best out of him, Marth, and Luce.

He's ok. Dedede, Samus and Jigglypuff need buffs way more.

I'm still surprised how relatively well balanced the game is already with its massive cast.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Motto posted:

There's been a noticeable power creep with the DLC characters so I think he's still the worst especially compared to Bayonetta/Cloud/Corrin. (Then again, Roy contributed his own part to the power creep by being Better Marth.)

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 27, 2016

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Cyron posted:

Why is showing off a console at E3 is a big deal in 2016?

Because the Wii U consistently sells poorly, and no one is making games for it other than Nintendo. The former is bad for the shareholders and the company as a whole, and the latter makes potential consumers less likely to take a risk on the console in the first place.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Scratch-O posted:

Because the Wii U consistently sells poorly, and no one is making games for it other than Nintendo. The former is bad for the shareholders and the company as a whole, and the latter makes potential consumers less likely to take a risk on the console in the first place.

You can't trace the WiiU doing poorly back to E3 showcases, which I think is the point, specifically that E3 is not the defining and exclusive factor that determines the success of a console. E3 is for press and for people that want to pay $600 for a ticket. If anything Nintendo can host their own separate event closer to September or so to give people a chance to get to know the console. The WiiU was doomed as soon as it was released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the reason why i post the e3 threads is to remind people that actually getting legitimately excited for what E3 brings beyond a cavalcade of chuckles is fools gold. Watch Dogs was a Game of the Show, Evolve was a Game of the Show, Mario Maker and Splatoon are unveiled and the gaming press at E3 goes "yeaaah whatever, that's not hype like Assassins Creed Unity, our Game of the Show"

Three of the biggest announcements last year at E3 came from Sony and none of them are legitimately extant yet; Shenmue 3 was a kickstarter, and The Last Guardian can release as many trailers as they want but until people can actually play it, it's still not real. FF7 Remake is just that, a remake, and one that wont even be released until late 2017 at the earliest.

showing something at E3 only seems like a big deal when you're inside of the time bubble that E3 resides in. after E3 is over everyone is going to forget everything they saw at E3. case in point no one in the E3 2016 thread could even remember the name of Horizon Zero Dawn and it's all people talked about during E3 2015 besides the previous paragraph.

• Locked thread