Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Mister Sinewave posted:

Anyone play Paradox? It looks like it might be up me and my wife's alley. Anyone got any comments on what it was like to play?

Cool, I didn't know this was out yet. I talked to Paul from Split Second Games about it last summer at a meetup and it seemed like it was still in early prototyping. I love the artwork I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

But probably not because military in the late game seems like such a futile effort where if your government and infrastructure aren't already set up to cover the ballooning costs you're probably not going to get much out of it.

Yeah plus you may use a lot of it to grab territories as well. I don't actually usually focus on military except to make sure that I'm not the weakest player early because it's real annoying to get raided constantly.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

al-azad posted:

But probably not because military in the late game seems like such a futile effort where if your government and infrastructure aren't already set up to cover the ballooning costs you're probably not going to get much out of it.

Depends. I've won and lost games off of War Over Culture. It only takes one really good hit of it to swing a close game. Air Force is such a huge force multiplier, too.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Thinking about picking up Chaos in the Old World to play in my group of four. Anyone want to scare/encourage me?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

CubeTheory posted:

Thinking about picking up Chaos in the Old World to play in my group of four. Anyone want to scare/encourage me?

It's really really good, but to be its best, it requires exactly four and requires everyone to understand their God's gameplan and play to its strengths.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

CubeTheory posted:

Pretty solid purchase, especially if you're constantly with those four.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Some Numbers posted:

It's really really good, but to be its best, it requires exactly four and requires everyone to understand their God's gameplan and play to its strengths.

It's fun either way. The cool thing about it too is it's a fast game but with a good deal of depth to it. You could probably knock it out in an hour and a half easy with a group used to playing it.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Atypical request: does anyone has a preference for plastic playing cards? I want to play drinking games without buying a new deck every outing, so it's time to invest in a waterproof card. What brands are decent, both in general quality and as a waterproof card?

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
While people are on this subject of conversation.. Not sure if this is the right place for this, but does know of good board game cafe type places in Los Angeles county? (And while I'm asking, also interested in potential places to play miniature war games) Moved here some time ago and still haven't done much game playing and interested in doing so.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Organising my friends for Tabletop Day next weekend. I have a small collection of games but there's enough variety to certainly keep the four of us amused for a day...

:vuvu: I'll bring Exploding Kittens!
:riker: Going to stop off my at parents on the way down, they have a load of old board and card games that belonged to my uncle, maybe we can try some!
:gay: Roll for the Galaxy, Roll for the Galaxy, Roll for the Galaxy...

I just want to play Castles of Burgundy :saddowns:

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Hackjack posted:

While people are on this subject of conversation.. Not sure if this is the right place for this, but does know of good board game cafe type places in Los Angeles county? (And while I'm asking, also interested in potential places to play miniature war games) Moved here some time ago and still haven't done much game playing and interested in doing so.

Gamehaus in Glendale is great, definitely check it out. The Perky Nerd just opend in Burbank and has tables for playing stuff, but they don't have a collection yet, just table space and a nice vibe (literally just opened last weekend). I've heard good-ish things about Geeky Teas, also Burbank, but haven't been there myself.

I'm not a miniature gamer, but I know they're set up for that at Emerald Knights in Burbank and Next Gen Gamess in the Miracle Mile area, and I think at Game Empire in Pasadena.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Zveroboy posted:

Organising my friends for Tabletop Day next weekend. I have a small collection of games but there's enough variety to certainly keep the four of us amused for a day...

:vuvu: I'll bring Exploding Kittens!
:riker: Going to stop off my at parents on the way down, they have a load of old board and card games that belonged to my uncle, maybe we can try some!
:gay: Roll for the Galaxy, Roll for the Galaxy, Roll for the Galaxy...

I just want to play Castles of Burgundy :saddowns:

RftG's OK, certainly better than Kittens and, I guess, Monopoly.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Am I weird for sleeving most of my games? From the looks of it I'm in the minority here which seems bonkers. I guess people don't play games where you can't get replacement cards unless you shell out a ton of cash? Hell, some of the decks I use in Agricola cost over $50 now a days.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
I sleeve what I realistically can/need to, with some consideration made for how much I love the game.

Twilight Struggle cards are sturdy and don't need shuffling that often so they're not sleeved. Conversely Dominion cards are thin, shuffled a lot and handled by everyone, so they're in high quality sleeves. Playsets of Doomtown/Netrunner/LotR LCG cards are in penny sleeves while boxed, or good quality mattes when in decks. Codenames, Space Alert, Galaxy Trucker and Eldritch Horror all have unusual sized cards so they don't get sleeved. Ghost Stories is sleeved because I love it and the second expansion was out of print for years so I'm not risking it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Durendal posted:

Am I weird for sleeving most of my games? From the looks of it I'm in the minority here which seems bonkers. I guess people don't play games where you can't get replacement cards unless you shell out a ton of cash? Hell, some of the decks I use in Agricola cost over $50 now a days.

I don't play games with cards enough to notice serious wear and I guess I just don't care because I'm not selling them anyway?

Also I don't manhandle my cards. My closest friends are Magic addicts and they'll just destroy these things as they play by nonstop shuffling their hand or drawing cards by sliding them across the table before bending them on the way up to their hand the nervous ticks are ridiculous.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Single Tight Female posted:

I sleeve what I realistically can/need to, with some consideration made for how much I love the game.

Twilight Struggle cards are sturdy and don't need shuffling that often so they're not sleeved. Conversely Dominion cards are thin, shuffled a lot and handled by everyone, so they're in high quality sleeves. Playsets of Doomtown/Netrunner/LotR LCG cards are in penny sleeves while boxed, or good quality mattes when in decks. Codenames, Space Alert, Galaxy Trucker and Eldritch Horror all have unusual sized cards so they don't get sleeved. Ghost Stories is sleeved because I love it and the second expansion was out of print for years so I'm not risking it.

Twilight Struggle cards are electronic now, get with the times.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Don't remind me. I managed to get two games out of it before it appeared on Steam for a quarter of the price.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

Atypical request: does anyone has a preference for plastic playing cards?

This was a common topic in poker circles back a few years ago, probably still is. The names that I heard most often were Dal Negro, Kem, and Copag. Not sure what's changed in that area. My Dal Negro cards are excellent quality but I've never been a huge fan of how they shuffle.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Shadow225 posted:

Atypical request: does anyone has a preference for plastic playing cards? I want to play drinking games without buying a new deck every outing, so it's time to invest in a waterproof card. What brands are decent, both in general quality and as a waterproof card?

I love Kem. They're a bit expensive but worth it. I guess they're waterproof since they're plastic.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I sleeved a bunch of Dominion cards the other day and they'd stuck together - I had to bend the piles to get them to come apart. And that's only in two months. Humidity's a weird thing. I have no idea how thick the sleeves are, but they add about 50% to the cards' width.

Anyway - the shop mentioned they'd bought some new sleeves for that size. Would using very slightly different sleeves affect the shuffling? Not that I'll resleeve a thousand card if it is...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Durendal posted:

I don't think you are weird for sleeving most things, but I do think you are weird for sleeving Agricola. You never even shuffle the cards, the wear and tear should be really minimal.

Also, the play Agricola site has scans of every card that exists. You can easily make up some proxies of whatever rare $50 deck you bought.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
So Cool Mini or Not are just going hell for leather on the creative appropriations on the final leg of the Rum and Bones 2e kickstarter. We've had Marcus Fenix just get added, and here comes Nick Fury. Sorry, I mean 'Maelstrom' and 'The Man in Charge'. Just to round out the stretch goals which already include Cthulhu, Beauty and the Beast, a Bloodborne Guy and Vega. Their shamelessness is almost admirable.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
So I got to play "rules guru" for the first two episodes of Tabletop Season 4. Pretty cool way to spend a few days!

ETB posted:

What's your verdict on Quadropolis, by the way?

I really like it. 11 plays in, 9 Classic, 2 Expert. I wouldn't even say that Expert is a total replacement for Classic, they both play really well and I'd happily play either.

lockdar posted:

Do you feel a 10 year old that is familiar with board games could play it? I'm not sure if I should get it for family board game nights...

Absolutely.

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I got a board game order delivered yesterday and decided to try to sit down and play the LOTR card game with my wife. 25 pages of instruction that's obtuse as hell didn't help us much. I wound up putting everything away 3/4 through the first time because we just couldn't wrap our heads around what was supposed to be taking place.

Fortunately there is a really good tutorial on YouTube from a channel called "Watch it Played". It's even better than the official tutorial which is still kind of poo poo. I feel like I am better prepared to give this a shot again tonight.

Just figured I'd give others a heads up that this is more involved than resolving a turn of Magic or even the other FFG LCG I played Warhammer Invasion.

I play a lot of LOTR. It can take a bit to get into the groove but it's worth it in the end. As you play more quests you'll get to see them use the encounter deck in really creative ways. And there's SO MANY useful player deck archetypes.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

al-azad posted:

This is how I feel as well. Gone are the days when your entertainment options were literally sitting in a musty shop for 12 hours. I'd rather play at home where my games are safely delivered to my door.

I never thought they would work but the "barcade" has taken off and is successful in the right areas. I'm not talking about Dave & Busters but old school arcades like Ground Kontrol. Usually the machines are free or near free, they make all their money on the drinks.Who knew booze and loud video games went together so well?

I really think this is the direction you're going to see a lot of FLGS start to go. Almost all the advice I've seen from FLGS owners is along the lines of "sell food" and "sometimes singles are profitable." One of those works even if you don't have a huge community of Magic players, or if you're not interested in growing and policing that community. From personal experience you also see a lot of shops weight any BG inventory towards the cheaper end of things. Games like Pixel Tactics, Gloom, Sushi Go, and Munchkin are gonna have a small enough difference between MSRP and OLGS prices that customers will pay the price to walk out with the game. Big Box/High MSRP games will sell a lot slower but help give you the atmosphere that shows your store knows what's up. You'd probably make way more money off of Mage Knight running a barcade style establishment and letting customers borrow it then you'd ever make selling copies of the game at MSRP.

pbpancho posted:

So I got to play "rules guru" for the first two episodes of Tabletop Season 4. Pretty cool way to spend a few days!

That's awesome!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Durendal posted:

I started sleeving my games once I started playing them with acquaintances. I got really miffed when one of my coworkers started bending the poo poo out of my Love Letter cards, 1) because they're beautiful cards and 2) because it marks them and makes the game 'easier' to play since it relies on deduction.

Misandu posted:

I really think this is the direction you're going to see a lot of FLGS start to go. Almost all the advice I've seen from FLGS owners is along the lines of "sell food" and "sometimes singles are profitable." One of those works even if you don't have a huge community of Magic players, or if you're not interested in growing and policing that community. From personal experience you also see a lot of shops weight any BG inventory towards the cheaper end of things. Games like Pixel Tactics, Gloom, Sushi Go, and Munchkin are gonna have a small enough difference between MSRP and OLGS prices that customers will pay the price to walk out with the game. Big Box/High MSRP games will sell a lot slower but help give you the atmosphere that shows your store knows what's up. You'd probably make way more money off of Mage Knight running a barcade style establishment and letting customers borrow it then you'd ever make selling copies of the game at MSRP.

Singles are very profitable since any FLGS worth its salt is going to have a community of Magic players. What's remarkable about my FLGS is that it's managed to stay open for years despite local laws prohibiting the resale of single items like Magic cards. It's an interesting little wrinkle in the law that resulted from a rash of crimes where people would burgle houses, steal all of their video games, and resell them at GameStop. The law basically makes it so that single items can only be sold at pawnshops, which a FLGS does not qualify as.

With regards to games at the lower end, not only do they sell at a lower MSRP that's much harder for Amazon to undercut, they take up a lot less space to boot. Depending on the size of your space, this can be a pretty big deal. You'll also notice that they do not stock as many RPGs because while the books can be quite profitable, RPGs do not move anywhere near as much product as board games do.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

LuiCypher posted:

I started sleeving my games once I started playing them with acquaintances. I got really miffed when one of my coworkers started bending the poo poo out of my Love Letter cards, 1) because they're beautiful cards and 2) because it marks them and makes the game 'easier' to play since it relies on deduction.

Singles are very profitable since any FLGS worth its salt is going to have a community of Magic players. What's remarkable about my FLGS is that it's managed to stay open for years despite local laws prohibiting the resale of single items like Magic cards. It's an interesting little wrinkle in the law that resulted from a rash of crimes where people would burgle houses, steal all of their video games, and resell them at GameStop. The law basically makes it so that single items can only be sold at pawnshops, which a FLGS does not qualify as.

With regards to games at the lower end, not only do they sell at a lower MSRP that's much harder for Amazon to undercut, they take up a lot less space to boot. Depending on the size of your space, this can be a pretty big deal. You'll also notice that they do not stock as many RPGs because while the books can be quite profitable, RPGs do not move anywhere near as much product as board games do.

So how do they get past the law to sell their cards then?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Do new or used Netrunner expansions ever go up for deals?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

LuiCypher posted:

Sleeving (even in cheap penny sleeves) sends a message to anyone else playing that they should treat them nicely. It also makes it all but impossible to riffle shuffle.
My criteria for whether something gets sleeved is whether it is played often, how important it is that the cards don't show wear (like the Love Letter example), and also how expensive/unpleasant it would be to replace those components (something out of print, etc)

Look on the bright side if your copy of Love Letter gets trashed: then you can buy the cool Legend of the Five Rings version.
https://www.alderac.com/loveletter/products/love-letter-legend-five-rings/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

pbpancho posted:

:lol: Hope Wil doesn't write a whiny blog post blaming any mistakes on you this time

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

LuiCypher posted:

How does prohibiting the resale of single items prevent people from selling to Gamestop? Does that just prevent Gamestop from doing business entirely?

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Bottom Liner posted:

:lol: Hope Wil doesn't write a whiny blog post blaming any mistakes on you this time

Yeah that Boyan guy got treated really unfairly, public shaming is horrible. I don't really understand why they can't handle those things internally instead of creating drama.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

theroachman posted:

Yeah that Boyan guy got treated really unfairly, public shaming is horrible. I don't really understand why they can't handle those things internally instead of creating drama.

Wil is a loving man-baby. He lives in the public eye (of internet nerds) and can't handle criticism worth a poo poo. My favorite thing involving him was his rant against anyone that tweeted him "Shut up, Wesley" which of course led to thousands of people doing that very thing.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'm looking for some new games, preferably something light. I found a couple that look interesting, so I'd like some thoughts on them, if you guys have tried some of them.

Takenoko
Fungi
Ghooost!
Smash Up
Fluxx
The Adventurers: The Pyramid of Horus
Splendor

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Boz0r posted:

I'm looking for some new games, preferably something light. I found a couple that look interesting, so I'd like some thoughts on them, if you guys have tried some of them.

Takenoko
Fungi
Ghooost!
Smash Up
Fluxx
Splendor

Personal Opinions

Takenoko It's OK
Fungi Don't know it
Ghooost! It's OK
Smash Up Terrible, but it will have it's defenders
Fluxx Super terrible.
The Adventurers: The Pyramid of Horus Don't know it
Splendor It's OK

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Boz0r posted:

Takenoko
Fungi
Ghooost!
Smash Up
Fluxx
Splendor

This is going to be entertaining lol.

I personally like Fluxx, but I would recommend you get the Space Fluxx as it adds some more interesting mechanics. Don't play with too many people though, the game gets exponentially longer the more players you add.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I like Smash Up ok as long as you have dice to track totals and only play to 10 points.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Boz0r posted:

Ghooost!
I've only played it once, but my gut reaction was that we should have just played Uno.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

LuiCypher posted:

Some Numbers posted:

How does prohibiting the resale of single items prevent people from selling to Gamestop? Does that just prevent Gamestop from doing business entirely?

Gamestop operates in a lot of places that have laws like this, so it's likely that they were already considered a pawn shop. I know in Tennessee you have to keep things that you buy for 30 days so that local law enforcement has time to file reports and check with you for stolen merchandise. It could just be that they were going to enforce the same type of waiting period on the FLGS and they (correctly, I would say) figured that needing to hold on to singles for 30 days before they could sell them would make the entire process not worth their time.

That's definitely an absurd law though, especially if it applied to things that aren't serialized. The cynic in me sort of wonders if maybe the FLGS in question just used it as an excuse to stop dealing with singles. Stuff like that has high margins compared to a lot of other MTG stuff, but there's a lot of hidden costs on it as well.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Boz0r posted:

Takenoko
Fungi
Ghooost!
Smash Up
Fluxx
Splendor

Fungi is just Morels... I like to play Morels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Bottom Liner posted:

Wil is a loving man-baby. He lives in the public eye (of internet nerds) and can't handle criticism worth a poo poo. My favorite thing involving him was his rant against anyone that tweeted him "Shut up, Wesley" which of course led to thousands of people doing that very thing.

Am I misremembering or did Patrick Stewart himself join in on that dogpile?