Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Serious post:

AoS with points will be a better game than 40k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

fnordcircle posted:

Serious post:

AoS with points will be a better game than 40k.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
As bad as 40k is, I seriously doubt that. AoS already has formations, "roll to see if you roll" rules, a complete refusal to use universal special rules, and even-shittier-than-40k attack mechanics. It does everything 40k does wrong and then adds some new busted poo poo for flavor.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

40K doesn't have chariot drifting. Checkmate.

e: Oh wait...it does have hosed up tiny wolves. Hmmm

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
At least with AoS I didn't have to constantly refer back to a rulebook.

If the rules are going to be poo poo I prefer them to at least be minimal.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Avenging Dentist posted:

As bad as 40k is, I seriously doubt that. AoS already has formations, "roll to see if you roll" rules, a complete refusal to use universal special rules, and even-shittier-than-40k attack mechanics. It does everything 40k does wrong and then adds some new busted poo poo for flavor.

Don't forget the ability to randomly take multiple turns in a row!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

40K doesn't have chariot drifting. Checkmate.

Yes it does. There are no rules for facing in 40k so you can forge your narrative and have your little guys moonwalk everywhere if you want.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yes it does. There are no rules for facing in 40k so you can forge your narrative and have your little guys moonwalk everywhere if you want.

Vehicles do...

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

TKIY posted:

Vehicles do...

True, but I think you can still move them sideways if you wanna. I only have the 4th ed rules, but there's nothing that says they can't powerslide everywhere.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Avenging Dentist posted:

How does 30k fit into this hierarchy of badness? I keep reading how much better than 40k it is, but isn't it just 40k with everything but Marines removed? Or is it better because formations haven't made their way there yet?

I guess what I'm asking is on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is AoS, 2 is 40k and 10 is self harming is 30k also a number 2 (lol) or is it better because of the bad resin marines?.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Remember when we wondered if all that lead would have a long term impact on the mental health of their upper mangement?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

richyp posted:

How does 30k fit into this hierarchy of badness? I keep reading how much better than 40k it is, but isn't it just 40k with everything but Marines removed? Or is it better because formations haven't made their way there yet?

I've never played it because I'm not a total idiot but I'd say it's only better than 40k if you were exclusively playing marines vs marines already. Like if you have an Ork army, what the gently caress are you gonna do? Sure, you could have them count as marines, but that's just stupid. The only other reason I can think of to play 30k is if you're so emotionally invested in Warhammer that you can't imagine dropping it and playing a different game.

Also, Forgeworld isn't exactly known for their amazing rules.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Arguing that you prefer the rules from 40K to a "fixed" AoS is a bit like arguing over how you prefer to have diarrhoea. You may find sometimes it is slightly less uncomfortable than other times, but ultimately the goal is to not give yourself diarrhoea.

E: 30K is essentially 6th edition 40K because that was the core rule set that FW used to produce it. It is supposedly more balanced than 40K, but the reason for this is that all the forces are Space Marines and there are no formations. Instead of formations and detachment, choosing your HQ unlocks certain types of units as troops. It was a common mechanism in 6th ed and I think in 5th ed too. But the balance really comes down to how Warhammer 40K was balanced around Space Marines as the standard unit and then FW using exclusively Space Marines for their setting.

Sir Teabag fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 27, 2016

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I mean, if I'm gonna have diarrhea, I'd prefer not to have blood in my diarrhea too.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
I guess blood poop marines would be Corn Berserkers.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I'm surprised this didn't exist, so I went ahead.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Avenging Dentist posted:

I've never played it because I'm not a total idiot but I'd say it's only better than 40k if you were exclusively playing marines vs marines already.

Hello and welcome to 40k.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

This has potential.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Should have been called Games Twerkshop.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Present posted:

Werhermer, with the gersberms girl holding the rulebook

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
So much material in this thread.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Present posted:

Just following in the footsteps of the original.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You might want to preemptively start looking for a lawyer.

You're legally protected in the US, of course, since this is very obviously parody, but that's not going to dissuade GW from sending you the C&D in the slightest and we've seen they're more than willing to throw a million or two at a baseless lawsuit.

e. The most likely outcome is they'll bitch about it to twitter and twitter will just take down your account, of course.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I can live with a C&D for the sake of a few jabs at the more amusing aspects of GW :shobon:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

You're legally protected in the US, of course, since this is very obviously parody, but that's not going to dissuade GW from sending you the C&D in the slightest and we've seen they're more than willing to throw a million or two at a baseless lawsuit.

Wizard People has the correct advice here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjYPfOnuf9w&t=479s

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Leperflesh posted:

You might want to preemptively start looking for a lawyer.

e. The most likely outcome is they'll bitch about it to twitter and twitter will just take down your account, of course.

Very fair point, but I think we're OK under British law: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/wayne-beynon/parody-law-reform_b_6230498.html

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Sir Teabag posted:

Arguing that you prefer the rules from 40K to a "fixed" AoS is a bit like arguing over how you prefer to have diarrhoea. You may find sometimes it is slightly less uncomfortable than other times, but ultimately the goal is to not give yourself diarrhoea.

GW Death Thread 2015-2016: ultimately the goal is to not give yourself diarrhoea

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Not a viking posted:

http://heelanhammer.com/onlythefaithful/

ONLY THE FAITHFUL can truly enjoy (points in) AoS!

All hail GW!

Dan, Wayne no...:negative:

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
One of my life goals is to never listen to a podcast. I just want to know what sort of kool-aid drinking nonsense they spout though...

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
They wernt always like that. They were enthusiastic but nice guys who knew a lot about the hobby and UK tournaments and talked about those. They never gave off a mouthpiece like vibe in the years listened to them until AoS.

I'm generally sad. When my father was dying in the hospital, one of the ways I got to sleep in those lovely hospital benches was to throw on Heelan Hammer or Role Playing Public Radio.

It's dumb. All these feelings of melancholy over some nerd podcast about a game I don't even play anymore. It shouldn't make me feel as bummed as I do. Who cares they can have their opinions there's nothing wrong with it.

But I'm sad

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Bad Moon posted:

They wernt always like that. They were enthusiastic but nice guys who knew a lot about the hobby and UK tournaments and talked about those. They never gave off a mouthpiece like vibe in the years listened to them until AoS.

I'm generally sad. When my father was dying in the hospital, one of the ways I got to sleep in those lovely hospital benches was to throw on Heelan Hammer or Role Playing Public Radio.

It's dumb. All these feelings of melancholy over some nerd podcast about a game I don't even play anymore. It shouldn't make me feel as bummed as I do. Who cares they can have their opinions there's nothing wrong with it.

But I'm sad

:glomp:

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

fnordcircle posted:

One of my life goals is to never listen to a podcast. I just want to know what sort of kool-aid drinking nonsense they spout though...

They can be ok, as a background while doing something else (like, painting) - rather than having the TV or radio on.

That's worth giving a listen for 10mins, just for the jaw-droping fan-wankery

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Bad Moon posted:

But I'm sad

You should send them this post. They need to know.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

followed

Captain Rufus posted:

You should send them this post. They need to know.

agreed

Herr Tog fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 28, 2016

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Nah. I mean, if they are happy playing that I guess I can't begrudge them that. They enjoy something that's execrable but it is t hurting anything. Just a bummer they are spending time polishing a turd when there are better options out there. But it's their money and time. :smith:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

While true, we can rag on them the same way the board game thread rags on Rutibex for enjoying and suggesting games like Fluxx, Betrayal AHOTH, and Talisman to newbies.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Wait. Hold the phone. People still play Fluxx? I thought that game was just a flash in the pan. Next you're going to tell me people still play Mao.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Avenging Dentist posted:

Wait. Hold the phone. People still play Fluxx? I thought that game was just a flash in the pan. Next you're going to tell me people still play Mao.

I wish it wasn't so :(

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

What's wrong with Betrayal at the House on the Hill? :ohdear:

My buds played it last Sunday (I observed because I was tired after our Pathfinder game) and it looked pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

it looked pretty fun.
See it looks fun.

When playing you realize it's actually hell.

• Locked thread