Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Broseph Brostar posted:

My endgame pve setup was full Havel's, a broadsword and a staff in the offhand for casting magic weapon. Even with full Havel's, Lord of Cinder's juggling combo would put me low enough to get killed by one more attack. Even if you have slightly higher absorption, you still end up dying to the same amount of hits. In some uncommon situations you might have one extra hit of survivability, but that still doesn't justify the stat investment.

This is bad though. You shouldn't have to gimp your character just to look cool. Bloodborne lets you wear whatever you want regardless of stats.

bloodborne was different because it didn't have different armor or dodge tiers. every piece of armor except for the crap set you start in was a sidegrade, and it was all light with no poise. there was also no weight to anything in that game so you could wear whatever you wanted and equip like two kirkhammers if you felt like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dark Souls 3 doesn't have meaningful dodge tiers either until you hit 70% equip load, just like DS2.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

what the gently caress did i just watch

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

where'd you even get it? they can only drop from lothric knights that are using it, yea? honestly can't remember if I've seen one or not

Yeah, you're right. On a fresh character, I went straight for the Dancer instead of Vordt and after defeating her* I went on to Lothric Castle to farm for the sword. Farming the Greatsword Lothric Knights was definitely the hardest part of this run (or rather, the only hard part so far), and I did it with a combination of parries and Firebombs. Starting with Vordt, every boss has died in just a couple of hits. Poor Wolnir never even got the chance to attack.

I've since upgraded both a Cathedral Knight Greatsword and Black Knight Greatsword to +9 and +4 respectively and it feels like the Lothric Knight Greatsword is just way better. It has the sweeping moveset (good for dogs, etc.), a poke on R2 (great for chain-knockdown) and it deals nearly as much physical damage as the others with an added ~150 Lightning on top. It's a beast.

*Using the super-cheesy invincible Sword Master glitch

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Broseph Brostar posted:

My endgame pve setup was full Havel's, a broadsword and a staff in the offhand for casting magic weapon. Even with full Havel's, Lord of Cinder's juggling combo would put me low enough to get killed by one more attack. Even if you have slightly higher absorption, you still end up dying to the same amount of hits. In some uncommon situations you might have one extra hit of survivability, but that still doesn't justify the stat investment.

This is bad though. You shouldn't have to gimp your character just to look cool. Bloodborne lets you wear whatever you want regardless of stats.

but 90% of the bloodborne armor looked loving stupid so it evens out

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

You're all missing the most important patch note:

Patch Notes posted:

• Siegward of Catarina will now be able to properly rescue Greirat once conditions are met.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Harrow posted:

I've seen people defend tanky builds that can only fat-roll, even in PvP. Full Havel's apparently gives you crazy damage reduction--who cares if you can roll, just trade hits every time and you're always going to come out on top. But it seems like something you really have to fully commit to, which I guess is a pattern with Dark Souls III builds that aren't "equip sword, hit R1."

The difference between a full Havel build and a light armor build is like 5~8% damage absorption. Like, a light armor build might take 75 damage from a 100 base damage attack, and a full havelbuild might take 68. It's not very great. Very rarely enough to increase your TTD meaningfully, if at all, since damage tends to come in big chunks. Interestingly enough, however, leveling your vit enough to equip that armor will actually grant you a pretty hefty flat damage reduction that will absolutely make you tankier, though probably not to the degree that just increasing your HP would.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

bloodborne was different because it didn't have different armor or dodge tiers. every piece of armor except for the crap set you start in was a sidegrade, and it was all light with no poise. there was also no weight to anything in that game so you could wear whatever you wanted and equip like two kirkhammers if you felt like it

In fairness, all armor sets in this game have a lot of weight with no poise.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Lol, just got invaded by the WORST mound maker

He stood outside the cleansing chapel, trying to bait me into getting killed by the suicide hollow. That failed, so he just stands at the loving door, waiting for me. It did not end well for him

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Dark Souls 3 doesn't have meaningful dodge tiers either until you hit 70% equip load, just like DS2.

it doesn't really matter if you think the tiers are good or not; what matters is they're there. bloodborne didn't have any at all. you couldn't make the roll or the step better or worse by fiddling with your equip weight. it also doesn't matter whether heavy or medium armor is better than light or no because, again, they did not exist. equip weight and dodge tiers is how they balance heavier armor. it may not have been balanced well, but that's beside the point

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, you're right. On a fresh character, I went straight for the Dancer instead of Vordt and after defeating her* I went on to Lothric Castle to farm for the sword. Farming the Greatsword Lothric Knights was definitely the hardest part of this run (or rather, the only hard part so far), and I did it with a combination of parries and Firebombs. Starting with Vordt, every boss has died in just a couple of hits. Poor Wolnir never even got the chance to attack.

I've since upgraded both a Cathedral Knight Greatsword and Black Knight Greatsword to +9 and +4 respectively and it feels like the Lothric Knight Greatsword is just way better. It has the sweeping moveset (good for dogs, etc.), a poke on R2 (great for chain-knockdown) and it deals nearly as much physical damage as the others with an added ~150 Lightning on top. It's a beast.

oh, neat. I've never used anything that big so I didn't realize it was so much better than the other options you had open to you at that point

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Your Computer posted:

I farmed up a BKGS as the first thing on my do everything quality build, and then never used it because the move set kinda sucks. In my opinion the best UGS are Profaned, Zwei and Lothric.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Manatee Cannon posted:

it doesn't really matter if you think the tiers are good or not; what matters is they're there. bloodborne didn't have any at all. you couldn't make the roll or the step better or worse by fiddling with your equip weight. it also doesn't matter whether heavy or medium armor is better than light or no because, again, they did not exist. equip weight and dodge tiers is how they balance heavier armor. it may not have been balanced well, but that's beside the point

oh, neat. I've never used anything that big so I didn't realize it was so much better than the other options you had open to you at that point

Ok but why should we care whether they exist or not. We get they do exist but that is pointless info.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Let me put rumors regarding max reinforcement level to rest:

Putting a weapon in your storage box, discarding it, or whatever, absolutely does not change your maximum reinforcement level used for matchmaking. I know this because I routinely edit that number, and it is not affected by such.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's not a matter of "I don't think the tiers are good", it's matter of under 70% equip load, your equip load does not make any noticeable difference to you as a player unless you specifically care about the horizontal distance of your roll. Until you hit 70%, much like Bloodborne, you can wear pretty much any combination of any equipment. And also like Bloodborne you are very easily staggered unless you're in the middle of an attack regardless of what you're wearing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ok but why should we care whether they exist or not. We get they do exist but that is pointless info.

the point is that bloodborne worked under a different system. if you just took the way the armor worked in dark souls 3 but removed the weight entirely, everyone would wear havels because it is objectively better as armor than anything else. in bloodborne, there was nothing like that because all of the armor was about the same, just with different specialties

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Your Computer posted:

How much effort did it take you to grind out getting the Lothric UGS?

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

In fairness, all armor sets in this game have a lot of weight with no poise.

So, super secret here - many body armors have a poise value that roughly matches their weight. Some have less poise than their weight. A small few have much, much more poise than their weight. Cornyx's Garb is possibly the most egregious example, with a weight of 4.1 but a whopping 7 Poise. There is at least one item with a higher poise value than its weight in every slot except gloves. You can put together a medium-light armor set with pretty high poise using these efficient pieces, though surpassing that poise value grows tremendously more difficult without adding significantly more weight.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Harrow posted:

Luck is very super good, but it's also sort of a "gimmick" build in that it's good for a very specific thing.

Luck influences how quickly you can inflict status effects like poison and bleed, and bleed is very good in DS3. So Luck-heavy builds tend to be all about bleeding enemies out. Interestingly, the best way to do this is not to infuse a weapon with the Blood infusion (which kills the base damage and doesn't help with bleed build-up that much) but instead to either take a weapon with inherent bleed and make it Hollow (scales with Luck) or use Anri's Straight Sword, then use Carthus Rouge (bleed resin).

It does so much damage that it's what speedrunners are using to nuke bosses.

Luck is to DS3 as Bloodtinge is to Bloodborne: basically useless unless you're specializing in a small subset of weapons, but if you are, it murders poo poo real fast.

I still want to try this gimmick build but it seems very finicky, especially if you can't bleed [insert boss]

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

How much effort did it take you to grind out getting the Lothric UGS?

It took a couple of hours :v: My character was fresh out of the gate so my weapons were unupgraded and every attack killed me in one hit. I found a couple of spots where I could farm without too much trouble, so I did it while watching youtube on my second monitor.

If I did it again, I would probably spend most of the souls from the Dancer on Vigor just so a failed parry wouldn't be instant death.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

lalaland posted:

what the gently caress did i just watch

giants giant giants
become UNSTOPPABLE

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Your Computer posted:

Also the rolling onehanded r1 in pvp, wowowowow.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
What is a good infusion to go with an estoc? Just for pve killings.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

voltcatfish posted:

I still want to try this gimmick build but it seems very finicky, especially if you can't bleed [insert boss]
You can bleed nearly every boss and it works particularly great on NG+ when you already have the stats in place. Some bosses are bleed resistant which just the bleed takes slightly longer to trigger.

The only bosses that are straight up immune are Vordt (use another resin), Wolnir, Greatwood and Yhorm (irrelevant because of their gimmics) and Dragonslayer Armour.

Dragonslayer Armour is weak to Frost though which is also boosted by luck and while not available in resin form the Irithyll Straight Sword is plenty good.

I used a Carthus Curved Sword which doesn't even seem to be one of the best bleed weapons and it still tore through most bosses.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tykero posted:

So, super secret here - many body armors have a poise value that roughly matches their weight. Some have less poise than their weight. A small few have much, much more poise than their weight. Cornyx's Garb is possibly the most egregious example, with a weight of 4.1 but a whopping 7 Poise. There is at least one item with a higher poise value than its weight in every slot except gloves. You can put together a medium-light armor set with pretty high poise using these efficient pieces, though surpassing that poise value grows tremendously more difficult without adding significantly more weight.

Does any of that actually matter with the poise system disabled, though?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

There are 5 bosses that can't be bled but most of those (Vordt, Tree, Wolnir, Yhorm) are either early game where you don't have a build yet or gimmick fights. The only other boss is Dragonslayer Armor who isn't all that difficult.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Oxxidation posted:

Nope.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Threep posted:

You can bleed nearly every boss and it works particularly great on NG+ when you already have the stats in place. Some bosses are bleed resistant which just the bleed takes slightly longer to trigger.

The only bosses that are straight up immune are Vordt (use another resin), Wolnir, Greatwood and Yhorm (irrelevant because of their gimmics) and Dragonslayer Armour.

Dragonslayer Armour is weak to Frost though which is also boosted by luck and while not available in resin form the Irithyll Straight Sword is plenty good.

I used a Carthus Curved Sword which doesn't even seem to be one of the best bleed weapons and it still tore through most bosses.

You've convinced me friend. Now I need to figure out when to start pumping luck.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, I'm at Grand Archives, near the boss room. I've opened the big doors at the end, but there's supposed to be an elevator there (on the right side of the boss double doors) but it has a fog door. Do I need to try the fight first so I can unlock the elevator?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
No, it means someone invaded you (or you have a phantom summoned).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

voltcatfish posted:

You've convinced me friend. Now I need to figure out when to start pumping luck.

If you nab the uchigatana and use it as a main weapon till you get your hands on a hollow gem, you can start pumping luck from basically the beginning. There's a free hollow gem in Farron Keep so if you bum rush your way there you can use it to infuse whatever you want to be your main weapon for the playthrough.

edit: Oh, wait, you need the profaned coal to infuse weapons with the hollow infusion, that's right. Well in that case it'll be a while then.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Poise isn't disabled. It just doesn't work like it did in DS1/DS2.

If you're using light weapons you're not going to get much mileage out of it, though.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'm having a good time with blood-infused twinspears, but I'll switch over to a sharp infusion with a coating of rouge once I finally get another dang sharp gem to drop

edit: it's not only possible, but it's even better than before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n09xmhsvIuU

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 27, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
So you think this will finally be possible again in DS3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXp8Th41rBs

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Trying to think of locations where they don't give you an alternate path up or that paths aren't double-wide.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

voltcatfish posted:

If you don't mind loving a major questline and shanking a polite, innocent NPC you can grab Anri's Straight Sword as soon as you can run your rear end off to Road of Sacrifices. The thing scales super hard on Luck so even when you can't bleed a boss with other weapons (or with Carthus Rouge on Anri's) you can have good base damage to fall back on that Hollow enchanted items may not match.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

Trying to think of locations where they don't give you an alternate path up or that paths aren't double-wide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDWSDdOsx6M

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

turtlecrunch posted:

Well I mean there is pretty much the same drat walkway in the exact same location give or take three more silver knights at the end of Irithyll.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
That has a double-wide path, they could roll past a Wall.

CJacobs posted:

Well I mean there is pretty much the same drat walkway in the exact same location give or take three more silver knights at the end of Irithyll.

There are at least two paths up iirc.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Tykero posted:

Poise isn't disabled. It just doesn't work like it did in DS1/DS2.

If you're using light weapons you're not going to get much mileage out of it, though.

I've been using heavy weapons quite a bit and I'm not seeing the poise working at all. You get hyper armor on some large weapon swings, but it's typically half way through or after heavy attacks. Try going up against a pack of small rats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Wall could block a hallway in the main chamber of the Irithyll dungeon, I guess. They could even put one of the jailers behind themselves to be extra lovely.