Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

YoshiOfYellow posted:

If you don't mind loving a major questline and shanking a polite, innocent NPC you can grab Anri's Straight Sword as soon as you can run your rear end off to Road of Sacrifices. The thing scales super hard on Luck so even when you can't bleed a boss with other weapons (or with Carthus Rouge on Anri's) you can have good base damage to fall back on that Hollow enchanted items may not match.

Just kill Anri for that, I assume?

e: A minor "problem" is I'm a decent bit into this run (20 vig, 20 end, 30 dex) and I'm not sure if I should restart or just respec and piss off Sirris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
You probably want to focus on Horace first since Anri will give up once he's dead, but yeah you gotta murder Anri for their sweet sword

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Hamburger Test posted:

I've been using heavy weapons quite a bit and I'm not seeing the poise working at all. You get hyper armor on some large weapon swings, but it's typically half way through or after heavy attacks. Try going up against a pack of small rats.

I had no issue with animals so I don't get this complaint.

Dudes with daggers hosed me up tho.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I feel like The Wall is a good concept for making a funny yt video but in practice you're just standing there blocking and it's boring. This is not counting non-gimmick versions where you actually stab people to death with your shield.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
I am really, really good at the bonfire run up to Oceiros' door. If there were a competition for making it from Dancer's fire to his fog door, I would be top five, easy.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Oh wow the Dragonslayer Armour fight is good :black101:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

RBA Starblade posted:

How much effort did it take you to grind out getting the Lothric UGS?

Trust us, he put in a lot of effort.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Melanion posted:

I am really, really good at the bonfire run up to Oceiros' door. If there were a competition for making it from Dancer's fire to his fog door, I would be top five, easy.

Some days i wake up and follow the path to the abyss watchers.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Swordspear L2 one shots a gently caress load of phantoms at SL 75. I love this thing. :allears:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hamburger Test posted:

I've been using heavy weapons quite a bit and I'm not seeing the poise working at all. You get hyper armor on some large weapon swings, but it's typically half way through or after heavy attacks. Try going up against a pack of small rats.

poise isn't technically broken it's just dumb now. The old system was better, it just needed to be balanced more.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
If there's an invading NPC Phantom in a zone that you never saw because you weren't embered before you killed the boss, are they still there if you go back embered after the boss is defeated?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oh man, this is such a dilemma. Do I kill Anri for his sword...hmmmmm....

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.
I'm watching someone play Demon's Souls and holy poo poo, Firelink really is the Nexus isn't it? The layout of the stairs is exactly the same. Its been a while since I played DeS, so I didn't pick up on it until now.

EDIT: Holy loving poo poo I just found out the Pantheon was a thing.

Wagrid fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 27, 2016

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

If there's an invading NPC Phantom in a zone that you never saw because you weren't embered before you killed the boss, are they still there if you go back embered after the boss is defeated?

No your hosed.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Actually, nah. I'll start a new guy for Luck run. The question is, is Knight still the best starting choice considering he starts with a piddly 7 Luck?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

Just kill Anri for that, I assume?

e: A minor "problem" is I'm a decent bit into this run (20 vig, 20 end, 30 dex) and I'm not sure if I should restart or just respec and piss off Sirris

finish sirris' quest, then respec

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the best starting class is deprived

SL1, 10 in every stat, when you get to firelink you have enough souls after gundyr to buy the full chain set for some armor, the club is actually pretty good

ropa
Sep 7, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

poise isn't technically broken it's just dumb now. The old system was better, it just needed to be balanced more.

how it not broken?

we have a ring that increases it, we have different values of poise in armor and the stat is visible in your character screen.

Yet it doesn't matter if you have 1 or 60 because it does effectively nothing.

Poise in DS1 was the correct system. We just need tweaks, like lowering poise damage per consecutive swing, or it only working in attack animations (to avoid high poise backstab fishers running through your swings). It would increase build diversity so much.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I like how if you have over 100% weight you just do a fat stomp.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Babe Magnet posted:

I don't know man, I have seen people try suggest that it effects hyper armor. I can't find any proper testing and with my own casual testing I see hyper armor kick in at the same time with 0 poise as I do with 30 on an UGS. So what is it actually doing if it's not broken?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

bring back the ds2 poise system

and more importantly bring back the stone ring so i can do big combos again

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ropa posted:

how it not broken?

we have a ring that increases it, we have different values of poise in armor and the stat is visible in your character screen.

Yet it doesn't matter if you have 1 or 60 because it does effectively nothing.

Poise in DS1 was the correct system. We just need tweaks, like lowering poise damage per consecutive swing, or it only working in attack animations (to avoid high poise backstab fishers running through your swings). It would increase build diversity so much.

It's not broken because it;s apparently not supposed to work like it used to. It IS doing something, it's just doing somethign loving stupid (giving greatweapon users more hyper armor frames, woah poo poo slow down From pump the brakes my friends)

Poise in the old souls game is the better system, but it's the old system. Welcome to infinite rolling with 3 iframes of vulnerability, welcome to the future bitch

Hamburger Test posted:

I don't know man, I have seen people try suggest that it effects hyper armor. I can't find any proper testing and with my own casual testing I see hyper armor kick in at the same time with 0 poise as I do with 30 on an UGS. So what is it actually doing if it's not broken?

I don't believe it's doing enough to actually make a difference either and I personally think that, if it isn't broken, the change is obviously right there in code surface-level enough for us to mess with so that makes it broken in my eyes, but whatever, it is what it is

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

Actually, nah. I'll start a new guy for Luck run. The question is, is Knight still the best starting choice considering he starts with a piddly 7 Luck?

what kind of luck build? dex? if you dont care about str then thief might be better since he starts with only 9 str. knight is fine if the str and dex arent too high for your planned weapons. warrior is a decent choice too but he starts with high str instead. he also only has 6 att which is good depending on if you need FT. basically is knight good is hard to answer since i have no idea what weapons you are going to use.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I hope they never change poise, and I dont think they will.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fhqwhgads posted:

You can't get invaded after the boss of an area is dead, so no.

ropa
Sep 7, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

It's not broken because it;s apparently not supposed to work like it used to. It IS doing something, it's just doing somethign loving stupid (giving greatweapon users more hyper armor frames, woah poo poo slow down From pump the brakes my friends)

Poise in the old souls game is the better system, but it's the old system. Welcome to infinite rolling with 3 iframes of vulnerability, welcome to the future bitch

you get the same hyperarmor on some strong attacks on heavy weapons regardless of your poise stat

you get interrupted doing a heavy attack depending when you get hit, with almost all weapons (if not all) entering true hyperarmor in the second half of the attack animation

plus it works exactly like in DS1 when turned on

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Babe Magnet posted:

I don't believe it's doing enough to actually make a difference either and I personally think that, if it isn't broken, the change is obviously right there in code surface-level enough for us to mess with so that makes it broken in my eyes, but whatever, it is what it is

So if we can't tell that it does anything at all, how do you know it is not broken?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Iretep posted:

what kind of luck build? dex? if you dont care about str then thief might be better since he starts with only 9 str. knight is fine if the str and dex arent too high for your planned weapons. warrior is a decent choice too but he starts with high str instead. he also only has 6 att which is good depending on if you need FT. basically is knight good is hard to answer since i have no idea what weapons you are going to use.

I probably will gravitate towards dex because more dex weapons have bleed in my experience

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

ropa posted:

you get interrupted doing a heavy attack depending when you get hit, with almost all weapons (if not all) entering true hyperarmor in the second half of the attack animation

Sounds perfect.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

My kokoro wish for Poise is that certain weapon animations (such as two-handed R1s for greatweapons and the majority of charged R2s after a certain charge level) have unbreakable hyper armor, and that Poise merely reduces the amount of damage you take during these animations by a percentage. You'd still have a reason to stack Poise with big weapons (doing a big, slow swing doesn't leave you vulnerable to being punished as much) without having to worry about the fiddly mathematics bullshit of Poise breakpoints and whatever.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ya'll quit grillin me over this poo poo, I'm on your side, I don't like how poise is implemented right now either look up some youtube videos gently caress leave me alone you guys are mean

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
So I stumbled into a way to trivialize Oceiros (perhaps just phase 2?) and gleefully abused it. Now I'm not sure which transposition my sorcerous self wants.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

turtlecrunch posted:

Trying to think of locations where they don't give you an alternate path up or that paths aren't double-wide.

The banisters on the outside of the Cathedral of the Deep might be narrow enough to block someone on.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m-i2f7-p8A

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still don't understand the trick to getting stomp to actually give poise/more armor/whatever.

quote:

Sounds perfect.

It's pretty funny how a pair of rats, dogs, or two randos with broken knives are more dangerous than nearly every boss as a result.

ropa
Sep 7, 2006

net cafe scandal posted:

Sounds perfect.
I don't think it is.

trading should be a skill. An Estoc shouldn't be able to trade with a Claymore, but right now it does because the Estoc has the fastest R1 release so when going into an even trade, it hits first, staggering your adversary and meaning there's no trade at all.

With poise, Claymore user eats the Estoc hit but hits harder, and even if Estoc user goes full Havels and gets poise of his own to survive a Claymore hit, weapons in this game are balanced on stamina usage/damage, they all have a very similar DPS regardless of build so the Estoc user wouldn't be looking to trade because heavy weapons use the stamina bar quicker even if they attack muuuuch slower.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Babe Magnet posted:

According to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpQRlXJyPoA Poise prevents stagger during roll recovery. But yes, it doesn't work in the sense that it will ever prevent you from being staggered when just eating a hit.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

I probably will gravitate towards dex because more dex weapons have bleed in my experience

Well lets take warden twinblades for example since every luck build ive seen uses them. They need 10 str so knight wastes a few points of str where as a thief doesent. On the other hand Onikiri and Ubadachi needs like 13 str so knight wouldnt really care.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

It's pretty funny how a pair of rats, dogs, or two randos with broken knives are more dangerous than nearly every boss as a result.

Show of hands.. how many of you actually thinkt his is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ropa
Sep 7, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

According to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpQRlXJyPoA Poise prevents stagger during roll recovery. But yes, it doesn't work in the sense that it will ever prevent you from being staggered when just eating a hit.

Roll recovery is probably a state of its own and they just forgot to remove poise from that particular instance.