Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Augus posted:

He was Jonathan, actually.
His British accent was baaaaad.

It was perfect actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Apparently "Coda" of OP 2's identity has been finally revealed as a dude from a Japanese band called No Regret Life so if you wanted more from him, go check those out. I would assume he is the one named "Kazusō Oda" from the band but I'm not 100% sure.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I wasn't aware it was a secret identity

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Do his friends in the band hate Jojo or something. so he had to go incognito

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Probably a contract thing or some poo poo

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Other band members (simultaneously): Oda, it's us. The other band members. We just wanted to let you know that we hate Jojo, and all the fun characters and cool fights.
Kazusō Oda: Ha ha yeah uh right on
Other band members (simultaneously): We despise each and every Jojo with all our being Oda. We also hate the recent anime adaptation, the opening animation, and the opening song that was made by a guy whose name is one letter off from yours and his voice sounds exactly like you
Kazusō Oda: I have to go,

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Also Warner put out this video last year of Coda (and TOMMY and JIN) recording End of the World so he's not the best at hiding his identity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjJh1xyNtp8

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

no they will not posted:

Other band members (simultaneously): Oda, it's us. The other band members. We just wanted to let you know that we hate Jojo, and all the fun characters and cool fights.
Other band members (simultaneously): We despise each and every Jojo with all our being Oda. We also hate the recent anime adaptation, the opening animation, and the opening song that was made by a guy whose name is one letter off from yours and his voice sounds exactly like you

"Argh! That mystery singer is nothing but a menace! Oda! Get us pictures, pictures of Coda!!"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGW9Ll-5qPs

Episode 5 preview.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I can't wait for Saturday...

Anyway, ep 4 was great. I was not expecting toy soldiers, but it was glorious, and I want to see what other creative uses Stands will be put to later on. Josuke's is interesting in that it can operate as just a punchghost so that you almost forget its real ability. But it's a very creative ability which relies on using its surroundings, so I look forward to many tricksy fights in future. Josuke definitely seemed related to Joseph in this ep.

Okuyasu's straightforwardness about his lack of brainpower is quite endearing, though it seems he can be very effective at times, so maybe people are right about him not being entirely as stupid as he says? I'll have to wait and see. One thing I really liked is that after a bit Josuke just answered Okuyasu's questions straighforwardly.

Koichi is likeable too. I wasn't all that taken with him in earlier eps, but in this one he planned to knock out Okuyasu's brother with an egg, so he's AOK with me. I like it when ostensibly weak characters try to work with what they've got. Also he just laid an egg. I can't imagine what Okuyasu's brother thinks this egg might be able to do to help him reach whatever his goal is. How could he even tell that it could be useful? But it was interesting that the Stand didn't seem to get unsummoned but just went and hid back in Koichi.

Diamond is Unbreakable doesn't (on the face of it) seem likely to have villains regularly either get killed or leave the town, so I do wonder what's going to happen with Okuyasu's brother. He doesn't feel like a character who's going to have a huge part to play after this story arc is done, and surely he'll be defeated here, and Okuyasu is certainly going to be in the main cast and probably won't be with him any more. I suppose he could run off and just keep stabbing people with the arrow in Morioh for a while, but isn't that an unnecessary role, given that he's already been going around doing that for some time? There are probably already loads of Stand users running around in Morioh by now. An alternative might be that after getting defeated he just stops being quite so antagonistic. But he seems like a real jerk through and through...and Okuyasu seems to fall into the befriended former enemy category a lot better.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

no they will not posted:

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

no they will not posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I forgot about the egg scene and that was a very funny surprise again.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Van Dine posted:

Koichi is likeable too. I wasn't all that taken with him in earlier eps, but in this one he planned to knock out Okuyasu's brother with an egg, so he's AOK with me. I like it when ostensibly weak characters try to work with what they've got. Also he just laid an egg. I can't imagine what Okuyasu's brother thinks this egg might be able to do to help him reach whatever his goal is. How could he even tell that it could be useful? But it was interesting that the Stand didn't seem to get unsummoned but just went and hid back in Koichi.

Keicho saw a crack forming in the egg, and decided there must be more to it than just "an egg that sits there doing nothing/functions as a bludgeoning instrument". He wants to see what exactly is up with this weird stand before deciding if Koichi can be useful to him.

Josuke and Koichi were on the other side from the crack and are unaware of it.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So where does the second "jo" from Josuke come from? When the school bullies were reading his thing they said something like "jo" and "jo"

Does "suke" mean Jo too or something

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yes. Kanji have different readings and that "suke" can be "Jo".

We might need this question/answer in the OP/title at this point.

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?
I find it strange that crunchyroll did not even attempt a translation note when those bullies got "jojo" out of "josuke"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Kaasen posted:

I find it strange that crunchyroll did not even attempt a translation note when those bullies got "jojo" out of "josuke"

it's like when that vampire was being called "idiot" in japanese and they left it untranslated so the joke was incomprehensible

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kaasen posted:

I've never seen CR put a TL on any show ever. Their subs aren't really of the absolute best quality they could be.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

In Training posted:

I've never seen CR put a TL on any show ever. Their subs aren't really of the absolute best quality they could be.

CR has had TL notes in the past to explain frigging Mario.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

Haha, which show was that?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

Reasonable, imo (in my onion)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

In Training posted:

Gintama. The first season has really bad, intrusive TL notes all over the place. They'd do things all the time like say "hey, when they said Zony here, it's a parody of Sony!" Having no TL notes at all is really the better alternative.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Reasonable, imo (in my onion)

It's worse for a comedy show because they're basically explaining all the jokes for you, so.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

But on the other hand I wouldn't get half the jokes in SZS without copious TLs.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah but who even knows about Mario???

these are the best translators notes, imo (igloo my opinion)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

That's a lot of words just to say that everyone in Code Geass sucks at chess.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That's a lot of words just to say that everyone in Code Geass sucks at chess.

You figured out the joke.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

In Training posted:

I can't say for sure it's what he's thinking about but the subs I watched for Gintama had notes explaining Mario

E: drat im slow

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

In Training posted:

But on the other hand I wouldn't get half the jokes in SZS without copious TLs.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei literally requires translation notes for at least half of the jokes to be at all comprehensible if you're not both fluent in the Japanese language and intimately familiar with Japanese pop culture, yeah.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think at that point it's okay to say that the show is not for you but also that if you find it interesting it's a good motivator to learn Japanese.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I think at that point it's okay to say that the show is not for you but also that if you find it interesting it's a good motivator to learn Japanese.

It's not just being fluent in Japanese(though even then there's a lot of wordplay stuff that simple book learnin' Japanese wouldn't cover well), it's also picking up pop culture references. A long joke chain about The Curse of the Colonel would draw blank stares without a TL note to at least tell you where to look.

With good TL notes it's a fantastic show even if you don't speak a lick of Japanese. It's like a poster child for TL notes being sometimes useful in enhancing the viewer's experience if used appropriately. It's a judgment call on the part of the translator, pretty much, and how you use TL notes is as dependent on your target audience as it is on the material you're translating.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

jojo in 2 hours

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Just watch this for two hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7seQ4Lt8c4A

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JP broadcast in 30 minutes.

Fresh steaming hot beautiful Diamond is Unbreakable for my veins in 30 minutes.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Strange Quark posted:

It's worse for a comedy show because they're basically explaining all the jokes for you, so.

This is why English dubs of funny shows will sometimes just change the jokes entirely and replace them with something that works similarly well for Americans. Of course this makes it much harder because now the dub needs to have good writers who know how to be funny. But not doing this leads to awkward and stilted dialogue that makes no sense, because they're literally translating jokes that only work in Japanese.
Stuff like "Josuke" being a pun on "Jojo" doesn't make any sense until it's explained, so they probably should've had a note for that. If a Diamond is Unbreakable dub ever happens I'm not sure how they could handle that without sounding like retards or like foreign language professors.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The best you can probably do is have one of those punks try to sound out the kanji and come up with JoJo, so something like:
"Jo... what's this character? Another Jo? We'll call you JoJo!"

Edit: Wait, that's already what CR does, isn't it?

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 29, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ChaosArgate posted:

The best you can probably do is have one of those punks try to sound out the kanji and come up with JoJo, so something like:

That is actually what they did, yes.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ChaosArgate posted:

Do you sound out kanji? I thought that was the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Kanji don't specifically represent a sound, no, but they have multiple possible readings based on context. Inside a name which readings apply are basically arbitrary so when meeting someone new you might have to ask them how the kanji in their given name are pronounced.

• Locked thread