Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ropa
Sep 7, 2006

Broseph Brostar posted:

That's how it should be on paper, but it's not how it works in game. Do you actually do any PvP?

I would ask the same. I have 3 pvp toons: swordspear, dual flame pyromancer and uchi. The swordspear wins against the shortsword so hard you don't even get to trade once unless you outplay me super hard or parry my one hand R1 that basically stops you from trading even if you roll through it (because the recovery is fast enough I can get out) unless you predict and roll before I attack, but that's still outplaying, and anyone can beat anyone if they're better, regardless of weapon.

The short swords gets outranged by plenty of weapons and plenty of weapons have stronger staggers. You're telling me you trade even with everything that's just bullshit bro.

You get poked by most popular PVP weapons (all of them have more range than the shortsword) before you even get in range and that stops your swing. That's how it works in paper, and in game.

You can't beat a weapon with more range unless you outplay them, you're never going to trade unless they mess up, and if you trade with a weapon with more range, it also probably (can't think of one that doesn't) does more damage so you're still losing the trade

ropa fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Melanion posted:

I meant in terms of finding your images/posting them anywhere but your steam profile or social media. If you're going to dump a game's screenshots into a folder with a load of nonsense numbers for a name, give me an 'open screenshot folder' button.

That's the button labelled "Show on disk".

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Lol, at 40 dex a non-scaling fire/magic/dark longsword outdamages a sharp-infused longsword.
They should put a dex-warning in the loading screen somewhere.

Split damage is mostly inferior to a high single damage type.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ropa posted:

Hehe.

Not on this level not at this point.

No matter how obtuse From tends (or used to) be, I can't think of Poise, a stat spoken all through the game, in stat screens, in item descriptions (including a very important lore item, a shield)... is a system in place that affects those few couple of frames at the end of your roll.

I can buy into the argument that they reuse a lot of their engines through their games, and that at one point they built from the DS1 system, and perhaps removed poise on purpose because they had other plans for it, but that doesn't really explain what ended up happening.

If we didn't have the shield and the ring, I would be less skeptical, but it really seems like a flaw in communication or lack of time. It doesn't make any sense.

I don't understand the weapons like vordt's mace that its weapon art increases your poise during the weapon art. What is the point of that? The effect is only active for 1 second when you slam your mace in the ground.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Lol, at 40 dex a non-scaling fire/magic/dark longsword outdamages a sharp-infused longsword.

Maybe on the hollows outside Firelink, but try that on an enemy with decent defense.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Hamburger Test posted:

Split damage is mostly inferior to a high single damage type.

At 40 dex, sharp infusion gives 12 damage to a plain scimitar+10.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

ropa posted:

You didn't understand what I was saying.

How do you know it's intended? You really think From made a whole complex system that barely affects gameplay, is impossible to notice and no one is going to care about?

I think it's more likely they had poise, removed it through development because it trivialized the PVE but in removing it there remained left overs of the system in some weird instances, like the one described in the video.

Or do you really think we have the Wolf Ring, a ring that does gently caress nothing unless you watch some crazy poo poo insane youtube video? Come on now

It's a lazy bandaid for leaving in fast weapon r1 reset from DS2 (lazy) while allowing them to leave poise in the game so they dont have to remove it from the stat screen or remove items that give poise (lazy.) I really doubt they will ever change it because this is the From software way.

Compounded laziness, if you will.

If what you wrote sounds unbelievable to you then all I have to say is welcome to the souls series.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 27, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

If you're comparing the attack rating you see on the sheet, it's deceptive. Split damage is penalized pretty heavily because it has to go through multiple defenses. The non-scaling AR is going to be higher but the effective damage is lower.

That said, Sharp is a... weird infusion. It's going to be better than normal if you're a Dex-heavy build but worse than Heavy and significantly worse than Refined on drat near any weapon. Apparently DS1 Strength scaling applies here, meaning that if you can manage 27 Str/40 Dex you're getting pretty much full scaling on a Refined weapon if you two-hand. There's very rarely a reason to go Sharp.

I'm pretty sure even a weapon like the Gotthard Twinswords is going to be better Refined than Sharp even if you only have like 20 Strength.

And then you have the weird poo poo. If you make the Large Club Sharp (what are you doing, sticking nails in it?) it gets loving A scaling with Dexterity.

Long story short, I'm pretty sure the moral of this story is, if you're leveling to 100 or 120 or so, just don't go pure Dex ever. Either go quality--you have the points for it--or a hybrid buffing build, or Dex/Luck if you're feeling fancy. Pure Dex ain't a great option except probably for a very small amount of weapons.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 27, 2016

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It occurred to me I hadn't shared FashionSouls shots yet. It's the best way to play a Dark Souls game after all.

Set is: Thief Mask, Undead Legion Armor, Iron Bracelet, Sellsword Trousers

I know the Abyss Walkers chestpiece is probably overused but damnit that cape is too sexy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Set is: Thief Mask, Undead Legion Armor, Iron Bracelet, Sellsword Trousers

I know the Abyss Walkers chestpiece is probably overused but damnit that cape is too sexy.

I recently switched to Leonhard's chest piece from it, but I do love the Undead Legion one.

Incidentally, Leonhard's mask with the Abyss Walker/Undead Legion chest piece looks fantastic.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

ropa posted:

If we didn't have the shield and the ring, I would be less skeptical, but it really seems like a flaw in communication or lack of time. It doesn't make any sense.
Don't forget about the poor old Lothric Knight Spear. It doesn't even have much in the way of hyper-armor frames, so even if the current system does work as intended the extra poise that weapon gives you is completely worthless.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

At 40 dex, sharp infusion gives 12 damage to a plain scimitar+10.

At 35/34 refined Gotthards +10 are +10 over plain.

And at 40/39 it's +11.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 27, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Harrow posted:

If you're comparing the attack rating you see on the sheet, it's deceptive. Split damage is penalized pretty heavily because it has to go through multiple defenses. The non-scaling AR is going to be higher but the effective damage is lower.

That said, Sharp is a... weird infusion. It's going to be better than normal if you're a Dex-heavy build but worse than Heavy and significantly worse than Refined on drat near any weapon. Apparently DS1 Strength scaling applies here, meaning that if you can manage 27 Str/40 Dex you're getting pretty much full scaling on a Refined weapon if you two-hand. There's very rarely a reason to go Sharp.

I'm pretty sure even a weapon like the Gotthard Twinswords is going to be better Refined than Sharp even if you only have like 20 Strength.

And then you have the weird poo poo. If you make the Large Club Sharp (what are you doing, sticking nails in it?) it gets loving A scaling with Dexterity.

Long story short, I'm pretty sure the moral of this story is, if you're leveling to 100 or 120 or so, just don't go pure Dex ever. Either go quality--you have the points for it--or a hybrid buffing build.

And then you have poo poo like the Exile GS which does more damage sharp at 40/40 than refined. I assume it only reduces the str scaling a tiny bit and boosts the already good dex scaling up a lot.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Much like DS2, there appears to be literally zero rhyme or reason for why some weapons gain outrageous scaling with certain infusions (see: Chaos Astora Greatsword), but not others.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hamburger Test posted:

At 35/34 refined Gotthards +10 are +10 over plain.

And at 40/39 it's +11.

How are they Sharp?

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Absolutely not. TVtropes is real dumb.

I mean the room at the top of the Nexus in Demon's Souls.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Major late-game area spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL1krB01pCk

e: nm

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 27, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

RabidWeasel posted:

And then you have poo poo like the Exile GS which does more damage sharp at 40/40 than refined. I assume it only reduces the str scaling a tiny bit and boosts the already good dex scaling up a lot.

You never know on what end of the spectrum of the scaling value you are.
"A" can be a tad over "B" or just a sliver under "S", and 2 weapons with "X" scaling dont necessarily add the same damage.

That said, im done for today. No summons, getting one or two shot by the King in return for doing jackshit damage.
Not really going to reroll into strength either, guess thats it for me then.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought the area as a whole seemed smaller.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Harrow posted:

That said, Sharp is a... weird infusion.

Not to mention that Non-elemental infused weapons can still be buffed with spells and resins, while the elemental (for the most part) cannot, so the elemental infusion has to be a bit higher to split the difference.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 27, 2016

ropa
Sep 7, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

If what you wrote sounds unbelievable to you then all I have to say is welcome to the souls series.

Bunch of items talking about a non existent system.

As if you could provide an example of something like this happening in their other games.

No other game has anything so visible do so little. In DS1 basically all items did what they said and all systems had a reason, even the lovely resistance stat.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Harrow posted:

How are they Sharp?

At 40/39:

Plain: 377
Heavy: 345
Sharp: 385
Refined: 388

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think the real moral of the story is that just like DkS2, the infusions behave in strange and unpredictable ways; they'll rarely steer you wrong - i.e. making a weapon Heavy won't reduce its Strength scaling or do less damage on a 12 dex, 40 str build than Refined - but their payoff is variable.

I agree that you should never go "pure Dex" on an SL 100 or especially 120 build, though. Honestly most pure builds are boring and (probably) not worth it.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Babe Magnet posted:

Go to Settings > In-Game, and over on the right you can set what folder you want your screenshots to be saved to. You can also choose to save an uncompressed copy since steam screens are mid-quality jpgs by default.

This is cool and rad and should probably be the default behaviour.

Your Computer posted:

That's the button labelled "Show on disk".

I've yet to see this but the anime poo sorted me out and that is a phrase I never expected to type.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I think the real moral of the story is that just like DkS2, the infusions behave in strange and unpredictable ways; they'll rarely steer you wrong - i.e. making a weapon Heavy won't reduce its Strength scaling or do less damage on a 12 dex, 40 str build than Refined - but their payoff is variable.

I agree that you should never go "pure Dex" on an SL 100 or especially 120 build, though. Honestly most pure builds are boring and (probably) not worth it.

Yeah, well, i fell for the trap and believed that for once they made spears worthwile since they had a class starting out with one.
Shame on me i guess.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have a pretty clever (I think) Dark Souls-related T Shirt Design. Back in my younger days, Threadless was the jam. Are there any hot T Shirt sites that the kids all love where I can make oodles of cash and/or bitcoins and/or some serious street cred?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

lalaland posted:

what the gently caress did i just watch

Giant Dad build for a while there was the min / max build du jour

ropa
Sep 7, 2006
I think infusions in this game are just an over-complex way of masking a really linear and simple system.

they tried too hard to make weapons viable for all builds.

what they don't realize is that in Souls, people made builds around weapons, so it doesn't matter if there this sword that's absolutely the best for Luck with a strange moveset, people would make Luck builds to make it work.

Now whilst some weapons have better scaling with some stats, at the end, any build will be doing the same damage with any particular weapon if they infuse correctly. Because of this, there is no reason to use gimmick or unpopular weapons.

It also bugs me that scaling does basically nothing unless it's A or more. At 40 dex, per example, if you have a C dex scaling weapon and you sharp it up so it gets B scaling, the base damage goes down so much it's better left uninfused (damage total wise). At 50 dex it becomes slightly better infused (10-20 more damage). I understand 50 is the new cap, but it basically means builds are only useful when they're done. You might as well always go through the game with Raw until you're high level and finished investing in your damage stat, because the path going there is useless

ropa fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 27, 2016

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Vermain posted:

Much like DS2, there appears to be literally zero rhyme or reason for why some weapons gain outrageous scaling with certain infusions (see: Chaos Astora Greatsword), but not others.

Some weapons just have better scaling period no matter what stat it ends up on. For example, onikiri & ubadachi is the only katana that gets S scaling for any stat. If you infuse with crystal or lightning it gets S scaling at +10. The uchigatana, washing pole and black blade only go up to A. They also only start with E and D in strength and dex, while o&U starts with D and C. So it's probably based on the starting TOTAL value of the scaling across all stats, which you can then transfer to other stats with infusions.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I can't remember the exact numbers, but I'm pretty sure the Lothric Knight Greatsword actually benefits a lot more from Refined than Heavy even with 40+ STR and 16 DEX (minimum required to wield it).

e: and that's an Ultra Greatsword so you'd think Heavy would be the way to go.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Melanion posted:

This is cool and rad and should probably be the default behaviour.

I've yet to see this but the anime poo sorted me out and that is a phrase I never expected to type.

I do what I can, friend.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I missed Demon Ruins on my first character. I just went through it on my second character, and I can safely say gently caress Demon Ruins. My least favorite zone by far.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
loving lmao.

So I've finally gotten all 30 spines, and Master of Pyromancies, but holy poo poo that was a miserable experience - constant train of people that would leg it back to the fire and summon as many phantoms as possible, solely to turtle up around the bonfire. I kept running into one group of cosplayers that did this - one Xanthous, one Solaire, one Oolacile - and true to form they'd emote spam when they scored a kill. On top of this they also had Seed of the Giants running to stack things in their favour moreso.

The bit that made me lmao though...jesus loving christ. I got lucky and Xanthous was alone so I managed to get rid of him. I moved towards the Farron Keep bonfire to shift up to the woods again, only to have Oolacile try a ladder ambush. I was expecting it and dodged, leaving the attacker isolated. Oolacile bounced around but got herself snagged and killed just as Solaire showed up. He legged it, turned to fight and...Connection Lost.

:laffo:

I think that's the most pathetic cable yank I've come across.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

I missed Demon Ruins on my first character. I just went through it on my second character, and I can safely say gently caress Demon Ruins. My least favorite zone by far.

It's miserable gameplay-wise and not especially interesting to look at. It also has a bizarre reverse difficulty scale, where you go from fighting embered Ghrus and Crow Demons to... rats and basilisks.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I think the "pvp meta" is going to steer towards getting str&dex up to your weapon's minimum, getting Raw with it, and pumping the rest into vit/vig/endurance, with a few wizards/heavy greataxers doing okay.

With the shortbow and composite bow, (and only those two) you can do a very quick end-of-roll or end-of-sprint shot, for reduced damage. I tried to do a primary archer, and while it looks legolas as hell, it falls off in effectiveness too quickly to be any use. With the D/D scaling and no infusions, the composite bow is just barely above dagger damage, but slow, and with no back or groin stabbing.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Yeah, well, i fell for the trap and believed that for once they made spears worthwile since they had a class starting out with one.
Shame on me i guess.

spears are dope as hell in ds2

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Can't get any summons today for farron. I hosed up and upgraded my level to 35 hoping for people on the tail end of the poison part since I kept getting people trying to go to the crystal sage before. and +4'ed my sword.
I hope it's just not primetime. I only got 2 failed connections in an hour of trying.

poptart_fairy posted:

loving lmao.

So I've finally gotten all 30 spines, and Master of Pyromancies, but holy poo poo that was a miserable experience - constant train of people that would leg it back to the fire and summon as many phantoms as possible, solely to turtle up around the bonfire. I kept running into one group of cosplayers that did this - one Xanthous, one Solaire, one Oolacile - and true to form they'd emote spam when they scored a kill. On top of this they also had Seed of the Giants running to stack things in their favour moreso.

The bit that made me lmao though...jesus loving christ. I got lucky and Xanthous was alone so I managed to get rid of him. I moved towards the Farron Keep bonfire to shift up to the woods again, only to have Oolacile try a ladder ambush. I was expecting it and dodged, leaving the attacker isolated. Oolacile bounced around but got herself snagged and killed just as Solaire showed up. He legged it, turned to fight and...Connection Lost.

:laffo:

I think that's the most pathetic cable yank I've come across.

I'm a bad invader but even I've had people alt+f4 or whatever the gently caress the preferred NOPE method is after getting lucky and killing their summon. If the host disconnects and I'm still here, gently caress you pay me. Give me my thing. They forfeited. I get the prize. Disconnect them from the multiplayer until they burn their once-per-character reconnection tool and give me my goddamn vertebrae shackle.

Tie goes to the mother loving runner. Why is "whoops lost connection" my problem?

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 27, 2016

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Demon Ruins is like the Ash Lake of DS3, except instead of a really pretty zone with no content, it's a pretty zone with really irritating content.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

ropa posted:

Bunch of items talking about a non existent system.

As if you could provide an example of something like this happening in their other games.

No other game has anything so visible do so little. In DS1 basically all items did what they said and all systems had a reason, even the lovely resistance stat.

I'm not saying they didn't gently caress up with their implementation of poise in this game, I wholeheartedly agree that to the average estoc man the r1 masher the stat is essentially non existent. The real problem is that it does nothing against players that do mash r1, making playing like a moron and mashing r1 the optimal way to play since it circumvents the entire stat on top of there being no drawback to wearing low or no poise armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It occurred to me I hadn't shared FashionSouls shots yet. It's the best way to play a Dark Souls game after all.
Last night I was running around in full "look like a ridiculous rear end in a top hat" mode. First Champ's armor with Dancer's helmet, UL pants/gloves. This wouldn't be a terrible outfit if it was't for the Dancer's piece. Then fatboy's chest, the silver helmet with the derpy smile (can't think of the name) and the master's underwear.