Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Passed A+ part one with a wide berth, I guess I'll stay in IT for now.

For anybody interested, the uCertify content for 220-901 (A+ part one) is wildly off base. I learned the number of pins on every dimm module and didn't get a single memory question besides troubleshooting BIOS beeps at startup after installing new memory.

You can float the entire exam with wifi and printer knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Passed A+ part one with a wide berth, I guess I'll stay in IT for now.

For anybody interested, the uCertify content for 220-901 (A+ part one) is wildly off base. I learned the number of pins on every dimm module and didn't get a single memory question besides troubleshooting BIOS beeps at startup after installing new memory.

You can float the entire exam with wifi and printer knowledge.

The second exam is even easier.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

The second exam is even easier.

I loved when I took the A+ and people were saying the second exam is much much harder than the first. Definitely not the case

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Classic A+ style question:

A user is upset about a problem do you:
a. Calmly assist the user after listening to their problem
b. Tell the user that it is their fault
c. Pull down your pants and poo poo on the users desk
d. Explain how many pins are on a DDR4 stick of ram and intimidate the user with your technical prowess

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Classic A+ style question:

A user is upset about a problem do you:
a. Calmly assist the user after listening to their problem
b. Tell the user that it is their fault
c. Pull down your pants and poo poo on the users desk
d. Explain how many pins are on a DDR4 stick of ram and intimidate the user with your technical prowess

It's been a while since I've taken it, but the answer is D, right?

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

E, all of the above.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Doug posted:

It's been a while since I've taken it, but the answer is D, right?

Only if you want to date her and are tired of being friend zoned by her. Textbook stuff here

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
uCertify A+ Practice Question:

What is the speed and max length of IEEE 1394b connections (Select 2)
4.5 meters
30 meters
100 meters
400 Mb/s
800 Mb/s

A+ Exam Question:

A user wants to display 4k video on their monitor. Select the best cable to use:
VGA
DVI-D
IEEE 1394b
HDMI
A potato

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 27, 2016

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Man CCNA Data Center part 2 640-916 is dry dry dry dry dryyyyyyyyy. At least CCNA R&S was interesting..... This chapter on Data Center Storage Architecture is just so......guhhh

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I bought all of the CCNP RS EBooks when they were on sale the other day. Is there a preferred order to take the exams?

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

Man CCNA Data Center part 2 640-916 is dry dry dry dry dryyyyyyyyy. At least CCNA R&S was interesting..... This chapter on Data Center Storage Architecture is just so......guhhh

Man, don't crush my spirits before I even open the book.

My 640-911 is in 4 weeks and I might just change gears to finish CCNA R&S in one exam before opening that book. The appendix they pulled from it to tack onto the first exam was just soul-crushigly awful.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

crunk dork posted:

I bought all of the CCNP RS EBooks when they were on sale the other day. Is there a preferred order to take the exams?

Save tshoot for last as it builds upon both route/switch knowledge. As far as route and switch order, it all depends. I'm primarily a switch guy so I knocked out switch first then spent the rest of my time on route.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Despite all of the BS going on at my current job (title change to DevOps and then demanding I learn and implement Sharepoint :psyduck: ,thanks marketing) I have been trying to slowly get more involved on the security side of things. I took the Security+ about 6 weeks ago, maybe longer and am wondering what my next step should be. I decided that the CISSP looks to be like overpriced garbage, you dont learn much and it seems designed to get more money into the hands of ISC2 than anything else.

I have way more of a networking, sysadmin background then I do in specific security IT work. With that said would the CEH or CISA be worth while for me to pursue? Am I overthinking this should I just study Cisco's security certs? I've heard that the CCNA Security is kind of a garbage test.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
CCNA Security exam should be fixed in a couple months, if you start studying now it might be fixed by the time you want to take it.

After a rigorous 5 days of studying since A+ part 1, I'll be taking A+ part two tomorrow morning. Again, if I don't pass this I'll go ahead and give myself up to a sales position somewhere so I can be IT's worst nightmare of a user.

Edit: goddamned that was easy. 850 out of 900.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 3, 2016

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Judge Schnoopy posted:

CCNA Security exam should be fixed in a couple months, if you start studying now it might be fixed by the time you want to take it.

After a rigorous 5 days of studying since A+ part 1, I'll be taking A+ part two tomorrow morning. Again, if I don't pass this I'll go ahead and give myself up to a sales position somewhere so I can be IT's worst nightmare of a user.

Nicely done, friend.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Congratulations, you are now A+ certified! Get out there and start applying for those entry level password reset help desk jobs! :kiddo:

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Congratulations, you are now A+ certified! Get out there and start applying for those entry level password reset help desk jobs! :kiddo:

Every call he takes is one I don't. He's a goddamn hero. :patriot:

Starting to get into CCNP SWITCH now that ROUTE is down. How do people feel about the FLG and/or OCG for that one? I'm really hoping to avoid wasting as much time and money on this test as I did on ROUTE.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

If there's one thing my job doesn't offer me, it's those bullshit user calls that end with me bashing my head into my desk. Oh the tough life of a network admin :(

vvv Oh that's fine, as long as I don't have to field the front-line call of "Did you guys change the firewall? I was on facebook while tethered to my iphone in starbucks and now I can't get to the intranet site?!? please verify my VPN is on thanks" that lead to discovering the NIC was dead.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 3, 2016

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
NIC on a server dies; must be a NETWORK PROBLEM. Bump ticket to networking team.

redi
Mar 29, 2016

Working towards my CCNA, have Sec+, and my job mostly consists of clearing cached MAC addresses on switches for Port Security. Goddamn, it'll feel good when we finally have dot1x implemented.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

ChubbyThePhat posted:

NIC on a server dies; must be a NETWORK PROBLEM. Bump ticket to networking team.

In my 2 years of working as a Network Engineer I have just accepted the fact that it is always the networks fault. Even when it isn't.

You just have to suck it up and PROVE yourself and your poo poo so many goddamn times.

Hey, Vlan 230 is missing on my server connection..no it isnt. Yes it is... (gets output to show the interfaces and port channels and trunks all show that 230 is there and up,), yeah well.....there must be something wrong with the network still!

:suicide:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm one of the people that escalates things from the server team to the network team.

I think I'm getting a reputation for rarely submitting bullshit because I take the time to ask questions like "You say you can't telnet from Server A to Server B on port 12345. Can you log onto server B and try this command?: Telnet localhost 12345."

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MrBigglesworth posted:

In my 2 years of working as a Network Engineer I have just accepted the fact that it is always the networks fault. Even when it isn't.

You just have to suck it up and PROVE yourself and your poo poo so many goddamn times.

Hey, Vlan 230 is missing on my server connection..no it isnt. Yes it is... (gets output to show the interfaces and port channels and trunks all show that 230 is there and up,), yeah well.....there must be something wrong with the network still!

:suicide:

Well, to be fair none of that proves that the network is configured end to end to allow that server to communicate over VLAN 230 to whatever it needs to. Perhaps that VLAN isn't allow on an upstream trunk, or perhaps it is being pruned somewhere or maybe it wasn't even created on that switch or and intermediate switch in the first place.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Passed ICND1 a year ago for my CCENT, should I take ICND2 or the composite exam for my CCNA? I've heard conflicting stories about which is the best way to go.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm one of the people that escalates things from the server team to the network team.

I think I'm getting a reputation for rarely submitting bullshit because I take the time to ask questions like "You say you can't telnet from Server A to Server B on port 12345. Can you log onto server B and try this command?: Telnet localhost 12345."

You, sir, are a saint among the sinners and I commend you.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I have never done telnet localhost 123123, does that basically test that something is listening on that port on the server? That's what it seems like.

Yeah, I'm a server dude with some network experience (want to transition to network) so if our architect/network super genie wizard isn't available, people will come to me, because I do things such as: 1) Think critically about everything between point A and B, 2) tracert (and sending said tracerts to netowrk dudes without being prompted), 3) telnet to server on port #blah, 4) not immediately attempt to shift blame and avoid doing work.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MF_James posted:

I have never done telnet localhost 123123, does that basically test that something is listening on that port on the server? That's what it seems like.

Telnet is more or less just a plain text TCP connection. There's a few control sequences but since it's that simple you can eg. telnet to a web server and send HTTP commands and get a response. It's a fairly common way to test if an SMTP server is up; send "EHLO\n" and if you get something back, you're in business.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Ping and tracert are much better troubleshooting tools than telnet. I think he was making a specific example where telnet is supposed to work but doesn't, and checking that backwards traffic works. Most networks should have telnet disabled because it's terribly insecure and SSH is just as easy to configure these days.

I'm trying to specialize in networking but the barriers to entry for most jobs is high (ccnp level and 5 years experience). It's much easier to find mixed server \ network admin roles with active directory, GPO, and DNS thrown in.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ping and tracert are much better troubleshooting tools than telnet. I think he was making a specific example where telnet is supposed to work but doesn't, and checking that backwards traffic works. Most networks should have telnet disabled because it's terribly insecure and SSH is just as easy to configure these days.

I'm trying to specialize in networking but the barriers to entry for most jobs is high (ccnp level and 5 years experience). It's much easier to find mixed server \ network admin roles with active directory, GPO, and DNS thrown in.

Yeah it's similar in the chicago area (dunno where you live, maybe you are in chicago!), that's why I haven't gotten out of my sys admin job, and am working with management to do a 50/50 type roll and work closely with our architect who's freaking amazing.

Also, telnet serves a specific function (in my eyes) that ICMP and tracert can not, when testing out specific ports (i.e. I requested a that the firewall be opened from a source server 22.22.22.22 tcp/any to server 11.11.11.11 on tcp/443) I can test exactly that. Are there cases where this won't work? Yes, but in my environment it does work. My endpoint only needs the telnet client installed and the other endpoint does not need telnet installed at all, the only feed back I need is either the failure to connect on port 443, or the success.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Yeah, I use telnet when netcat isn't available to test ports.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It's not ideal troubleshooting, but it generally requires no extra tools and nothing that will cause a stir from network security.

Suppose software X that is installed on A and needs to talk to a database on B using port 12345.

The path is from A to B, TCP, Port 12345

If the user connects to B and tries "telnet 12345" there are generally two outcomes:
A blank screen pops up with a flashing cursor in the upper left hand corner. (press Ctrl-] , then 'q' to quit)

Or

It'll stick on "Connecting to localhost..."
And then give an error.

What this tells you is if B is even listening for connections on 12345. If not, the firewall is not the problem.

If it works, then you try the same command from A.

If it works, then you know that the firewall probably isn't the problem.

If it doesn't work, you investigate firewalls.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

MF_James posted:

Yeah it's similar in the chicago area (dunno where you live, maybe you are in chicago!)

West suburbs, currently working in naperville so yeah we've got the same market trend where specializing in networking means working for an msp or var. Internal employee postings are almost all cross-training or generalist jobs.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Most networks should have telnet disabled because it's terribly insecure and SSH is just as easy to configure these days.

You can't really "disable telnet." You can disable the telnet service that runs on your switches/routers/whatever, but the telnet application just opens a tcp connection to whatever port is specified on whatever port is specified. It's very useful for troubleshooting tcp connectivity issues.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It'll stick on "Connecting to localhost..."
And then give an error.

What this tells you is if B is even listening for connections on 12345. If not, the firewall is not the problem.

If it works, then you try the same command from A.

If it works, then you know that the firewall probably isn't the problem.

If it doesn't work, you investigate firewalls.

One important detail is that many applications can be configured only to listen on certain addresses so a service might be listening on localhost, but not on its external IP, or vice versa. So even when testing local connectivity it's useful to telnet to the server IP and verify that you do or don't have service connectivity there, rather than stopping at trying localhost.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You're that guy that tests port forwarding with ping, and the bane of my existence.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Contingency posted:

You're that guy that tests port forwarding with ping, and the bane of my existence.

Confirmed. The number of customers that I have freaking out telling me the firewall is blocking their application because they can't ping it drives me crazy.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm not saying it's 100% guaranteed, but if you can explain that you've performed a few basic tests first, you're going to make the network team happier.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It looks like an actual CEH v9 study guide was finally released. Only like 6 months after the exam was updated.

http://www.amazon.com/CEH-v9-Certified-Ethical-Version/dp/1119252245

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ozu posted:

It looks like an actual CEH v9 study guide was finally released. Only like 6 months after the exam was updated.

http://www.amazon.com/CEH-v9-Certified-Ethical-Version/dp/1119252245

Thanks for this! I think I'm going to go for the CEH next and wait on CCNA security for the time being.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

West suburbs, currently working in naperville so yeah we've got the same market trend where specializing in networking means working for an msp or var. Internal employee postings are almost all cross-training or generalist jobs.

Yeah working for an MSP in burr ridge myself, mostly sys admin type stuff, but I expressed interest in networking and they are happy (as is our architect because he's really the only network guy, there is one other guy but.... he does stupid poo poo and fucks stuff up) and even pushing me to get certs etc, the problem is that we have so much work to do because our team is lean that the last drat thing I want to do with my 2-4 waking hours at home is deal with more IT poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Anyone ever took the Linux exams before? Any advice?