Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

Are there some good Reggae bass CDLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
So I just tried to do some lessons, and it had me start tuning back to E standard, and it will let me tune the E string, and it's right, but the game won't move onto the next string. It just keeps sitting on the E string, and thinks I'm playing the E string even if I'm hitting any of the other strings. I haven't played the game in about a week, and this was the first thing I tried to do, as in it didn't let me tune correctly at some point already in this session then suddenly stop working. The volume on the guitar itself is all the way up, as it is in the game options. Anyone have any ideas?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Detective Thompson posted:

So I just tried to do some lessons, and it had me start tuning back to E standard, and it will let me tune the E string, and it's right, but the game won't move onto the next string. It just keeps sitting on the E string, and thinks I'm playing the E string even if I'm hitting any of the other strings. I haven't played the game in about a week, and this was the first thing I tried to do, as in it didn't let me tune correctly at some point already in this session then suddenly stop working. The volume on the guitar itself is all the way up, as it is in the game options. Anyone have any ideas?

There's two parts to the tuning process: using the actual tuner and the string check. Are you making sure to tune to E until the tuner goes away, then playing the E again for the string check? If you switch strings after the tuner disappears it'll just think your low E went ultra sharp in the last half second.

Also: When in doubt, calibrate.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I sat and played the E string for about a minute straight, with the circle just about dead in the middle and the red line filling all the way up like it does when you have it right. The little R symbol in the pick is there, it seems like it's good with how the string is tuned, but it won't acknowledge it completely and go to the next string. Yeah, I tried calibrating. It hasn't given me this problem until today.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I had that issue but quitting out and doing a manual calibration from the main menu fixed it.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Thank you, that worked.

Edit: Whoops, read what you wrote wrong. I actually went to the tools menu and tuned to E standard using the little tuner thing on the bottom of the screen. That did it for some reason.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

toymach1ne posted:

Do you want to PLAY?

80s Mix Pack

Extreme - Play With Me
??
??

Facebook hints at Electric Eye by Judas Priest

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6quEmc_ceI yep

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
80’s Mix Pack – $7.99

* Devo “Girl U Want”
* Extreme “Play With Me” – Eb Standard
* Judas Priest – “Electric Eye”

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
If Electric Eye has the intro included (Hellion) that's a must have. Probably without it too

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

If Electric Eye has the intro included (Hellion) that's a must have. Probably without it too

It doesn't

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

toymach1ne posted:

Pinch Harmonics are witchcraft

Play Pantera's Cemetery Gates 20 times and they won't be witchcraft anymore.

rt4 posted:

Cliffs Of Dover, For The Love Of God, Satch Boogie, Hangar 18, Painkiller

This is literally all I play anymore :lol:

Pablo Gigante posted:

Easily one of my favorite Judas Priest songs ever, gently caress yes

:negative:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Welp, seriously, the intro is dope as poo poo and they don't include it?

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1433970-Dan-s-clue-for-4-19-DLC?p=11618503&viewfull=1#post11618503

tl;dr licensors wanted to charge them full price for the intro

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Its only 38 seconds long :smith:

"I always hear them together" isn't a good enough reason to count them as one song, no, I wouldn't consider half of Floyd's The Wall to be one song or whatever. But a 38 second intro is a different story.

Its not that you always hear Hellion and Evil Eye played together, they just happened to name the intro "Hellion". That shouldn't mean it gets full song rights.

Its especially annoying because you figure the band would probably want you to hear it as it was intended, but the label wants to squeeze more money out of "different tracks". (I dunno maybe the band is greedy too, but they probably don't give a poo poo about stuff like this)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 20, 2016

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

toymach1ne posted:

* Devo “Girl U Want”

Nice, I think I may have actually requested that one.

Kemian
Jul 26, 2004

Economics is not a science, and never will be!

I really love Rocksmith, and have gotten a ton of hours out of it (though not recently, been so lazy, really need to get back to playing) but what I wish now is that there could exist something similar for piano. It's easy to hook up a keyboard to the computer via a midi cable or similar. Maybe this already exists and I don't know about it! I certainly understand a difficulty in having two hands play on different parts of the keys, and various other difficulties with this, but still, a man can dream.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Sadly Hellion was made its own track on the album as well for some reason so that's probably why they're treating it the same.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Kemian posted:

I really love Rocksmith, and have gotten a ton of hours out of it (though not recently, been so lazy, really need to get back to playing) but what I wish now is that there could exist something similar for piano. It's easy to hook up a keyboard to the computer via a midi cable or similar. Maybe this already exists and I don't know about it! I certainly understand a difficulty in having two hands play on different parts of the keys, and various other difficulties with this, but still, a man can dream.

http://www.synthesiagame.com is a really lackluster kinda-sorta version of what you're saying
edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f33QfzgRmOw

ragle fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 20, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah check out videos like : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESuRKBtv7zw totally exists, although piano is really hard to sight read that way for fast music.

One of the rock band games also did a keyboard, but it was only supported on like half of the songs I wanna say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR3U4b_fVBc

I do like drums and keyboard in rock band more than guitar though, because its like actual instrument practice like rocksmith, unlike the guitars in rockband which are plastic ukuleles at best.

Kemian
Jul 26, 2004

Economics is not a science, and never will be!

I've seen Synthesia before on YouTube, but before right now I had no idea it was actually a program to play along with, and not a tool people used to create tracks. I'll have to check that out more. I also think you're absolutely right it's not easy to just sight read a song on piano, but with a tool that allows you to slow it down and repeat sections it could be a decent method for learning songs, if not necessarily theory and improvisation.

As for Rock Band, yeah I had the keyboard, but even pro mode isn't really the same. At best it's more of a "right hand only" type deal, or some amalgamation of the song on a very limited key selection. It's certainly fine, and I had plenty of fun with it, but it's not quite the level I'm looking for.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Kemian posted:

I've always thought the same thing about drums. I loved playing drums in expert mode in Rock Band, but if there were a game/trainer dedicated to drum lessons and songs like Rocksmith does with guitar and bass, that would be awesome. It's just as easy to get an e-kit and hook it up via a MIDI converter. If I had the room to keep a real kit setup, I'd buy one and get a MIDI converter for Rock Band.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

One of the rock band games also did a keyboard, but it was only supported on like half of the songs I wanna say.

63 of 83 plus most of the DLC between the end of 2010 and the middle of 2013; strictly right-hand parts modified to fit in 2 octaves. The newest game in the series axed it for next-gen, though. Crazy to think about it for consoles, and the peripheral itself had MIDI out.

Synthesia, on the other hand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC1rL2W-5Vg

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Gaspar Lewis posted:

63 of 83 plus most of the DLC between the end of 2010 and the middle of 2013; strictly right-hand parts modified to fit in 2 octaves. The newest game in the series axed it for next-gen, though. Crazy to think about it for consoles, and the peripheral itself had MIDI out.

Synthesia, on the other hand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC1rL2W-5Vg

Is this a known issue with the program trying to import something? I've seen a handful of joke videos like this and was wondering what the gently caress was up.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is this a known issue with the program trying to import something? I've seen a handful of joke videos like this and was wondering what the gently caress was up.

It's what happens when you run a full song through an automatic midi generator. It's transcribing every pitch it hears, including the vocals and drums. If you listen carefully you can hear some of the piano noises coming together and forming words. Spooky.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Tempo 119 posted:

It's what happens when you run a full song through an automatic midi generator. It's transcribing every pitch it hears, including the vocals and drums. If you listen carefully you can hear some of the piano noises coming together and forming words. Spooky.

Once I get to the chorus I'm hearing drat near every word in that song but I think it's just my brain filling in the gaps and I've just gone mad from hearing that song a thousand too many times. Thanks, internet.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I just wonder if you could pick the sound they used for the vocals, train yourself very slowly and deliberately to play it exactly as Synthesia arranges it, then freak your friends out when you break out the MIDI keyboard and make Smashmouth sing.

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

nm figured it out

See More Butts fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 22, 2016

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm going to assume that I need to buy the adapter separate if I grab this directly through steam, right? Otherwise I'll see what I can scrounge up on Amazon.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yes, and if you can get a combo pack you can probably save a little money depending on if you can find a decent sale. The physical Steam copy is just a code in a box so it's the same as having bought it from Steam itself.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Hints for next week

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Not bad for a sightread!

Related: I am in pain. Ow.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
You know what'd be really cool? A streaming channel for DLC like Guitar Hero Live has so you can try out DLC that you would normally never look at, and compare sightread scores with other people who are playing at the same time as you.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Macavity posted:

You know what'd be really cool? A streaming channel for DLC like Guitar Hero Live has so you can try out DLC that you would normally never look at, and compare sightread scores with other people who are playing at the same time as you.

I wish I was good enough to do this.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
3 Pack from Crobot next week

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Huh, I've never heard of them but they sound pretty good.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Crobot Song Pack – $7.99

* Crobot “Fly On The Wall” - Eb Standard
* Crobot “Legend of The Spaceborne Killer” - Eb Drop Db
* Crobot “Nowhere to Hide” - Eb Standard

toymach1ne fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 26, 2016

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Never heard of them, but those sound like some pretty fun songs to play.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

drat. I'd pay double just for the combo. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

Was looking at basic music theory stuff and found a good link every beginner should read, I should have learned this 10 years ago

Semitones: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/notes_have_names_so_respect_them.html

Most importantly for my use, that A-BC-D-EF-G pattern. Very easy, now I can immediately find a note on the low E string (Or pretty much anywhere on the fretboard) because of that. Just remember frets 3-5-7 are G-A-B and run that little pattern in your head and you look like you know what you're doing.