Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
It looks like r/wildstar is continuing its player survey. I have no clue how accurate this is because I am not going to take the time to look at their methods but what they are finding is pretty dire.

r/wildstar posted:

50,244 unique characters between all server/faction combos have logged in in the past week..

Id be amazed if that was equivalent to 20,000 active accounts. For a free to play game that needs a large player base in order to keep people buying this cant be good.

Of course the player base seems to think this is a good sign for the game's health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I went to the forums to check out how much of a dumster fire this game really is and my forum profile pic is this. Were we doing some dumb joke when the game launched? I can't imagine why I would have this guy as my pic.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

CoffeeBooze posted:

It looks like r/wildstar is continuing its player survey. I have no clue how accurate this is because I am not going to take the time to look at their methods but what they are finding is pretty dire.

Id be amazed if that was equivalent to 20,000 active accounts. For a free to play game that needs a large player base in order to keep people buying this cant be good.

Of course the player base seems to think this is a good sign for the game's health.

A fair number of that is farming bots, but I can't imagine why they would even bother.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

jabro posted:

I went to the forums to check out how much of a dumster fire this game really is and my forum profile pic is this. Were we doing some dumb joke when the game launched? I can't imagine why I would have this guy as my pic.

He's one of the old devs. Hasn't been working on the game for some time now. Here is further context.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Hey it's Merkal. He was the guy responsible for repeatedly screwed up medic dps rebalancing. Every patch would involve some huge class ability rework, which caused them to oscillate madly between woefully underpowered and unstoppable god-kings (depending on the particular nature of that patch's ability bugs). All they really needed to do was minor number tweaks. I checked back on the state of dps medic when it went F2P - a long time after he'd left - and it had turned it into an utter clusterfuck. You literally had to hold down one of your ability buttons 100% of the time while using all your other abilities. I'm guessing the problem was probably poor management rather than individual incompetence, so I feel sorry for Merkal for the amount of flak he got from the community as an individual.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anoia posted:

WildStar was made for him.

I bet he'd play a Chua.

And rant non-stop about the moral degeneracy of those scantily clad Aurin :argh:

(that's what the rabbit people were called right?)

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

hit button posted:

Hey it's Merkal. He was the guy responsible for repeatedly screwed up medic dps rebalancing. Every patch would involve some huge class ability rework, which caused them to oscillate madly between woefully underpowered and unstoppable god-kings (depending on the particular nature of that patch's ability bugs). All they really needed to do was minor number tweaks. I checked back on the state of dps medic when it went F2P - a long time after he'd left - and it had turned it into an utter clusterfuck. You literally had to hold down one of your ability buttons 100% of the time while using all your other abilities. I'm guessing the problem was probably poor management rather than individual incompetence, so I feel sorry for Merkal for the amount of flak he got from the community as an individual.

Medics were chart toppers when I left. Slingers were still a bit of a mess w/a high complexity rotation.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

Medics were chart toppers when I left. Slingers were still a bit of a mess w/a high complexity rotation.

When I last looked at the game the chart position wasn't the issue, it was how horribly awkward they'd managed to make the gameplay. I'm a veteran of horrible MMO control schemes, but that one really outshone them all with its finger-breaking majesty. Although I imagine it's most likely had several total reworks since then.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I think a lot of the problem was requiring several rotations, using dodges, stuns, and interrupts for almost every mob while leveling. It became a real grindy chore when you have a bunch of buttons to press every time. You never really got to feel powerful by mowing through mobs.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
this game was and probably still is a big loving mess.

please correct me if I'm wrong

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Theyve made some improvements but it was too little too late.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

CoffeeBooze posted:

Theyve made some improvements but it was too little too late.

curse your poor attention span!!!

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
But if you don't finish your bowl of poo poo how do you know you won't like eating it?

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Morglon posted:

But if you don't finish your bowl of poo poo how do you know you won't like eating it?

And isn't it premature to judge all the bowl's contents when you can't know for sure there won't be icecream, or at least a block of tofu underneath the feces? Keep eating!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Archonex posted:

If they brought CoH back and somehow managed to resume development NCSoft would probably make a ton of cash. I know a few people who are still pissed that game was shut down. I don't quite get it, but it's apparent that game was like virtual crack to some people.

Last page, but part of it for me personally is how it was handled - it was This loving Industry at its worst. Paragon Studios was just truckin' along with patch development, including what were shaping up to be some really meaty, attractive updates that might've even segued into a new expansion, and then the axe just came down mid-development with no warning or indication at all (rather nearby to a holiday, too, if memory still serves). The game was even in the black - not by very much, not really showing huge numbers for ~the investors~, but it was producing profit and keeping people employed and players happy.

The CoH shutdown was terribly handled, and yeah, I do still nurse a bit of a grudge over it. If nothing else, I can never quite forgive being that lovely to your developers/employees.

quote:

That they supposedly used part of the CoH servers to host Wildstar just adds hilarity on top of this mess.

Admittedly, this doesn't help.

Also, hope you're keepin' on, Cyster. Still want to see the housing system of this game go into something better.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

SpaceDrake posted:

Also, hope you're keepin' on, Cyster. Still want to see the housing system of this game go into something better.

Yep. The team we've got are all solid people at this point and while resources are understandably limited we're still moving forward. I'm in design because I like to overcome challenges and solve problems, in part, so hey. :v:

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Cyster posted:

Yep. The team we've got are all solid people at this point and while resources are understandably limited we're still moving forward. I'm in design because I like to overcome challenges and solve problems, in part, so hey. :v:

Yo you should check and see why NCoins are listed as "unavailable" on Amazon at the moment.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Rhymenoserous posted:

Slingers were loving impossible to play without mouselook/aim mods anyway, their control scheme was a shitshow.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
You've got to realize that the people on reddit are NOT a good source to get a feeling for the vibe of the game. not at all. You will NEVER find "genuine positive vibes" here. Doesn't mean that the game is doing badly though. If reddit was right with how they see the game, it would've been shut down long ago. it ain't, cause things are nowhere as bad as the doomcallers around here make it seem. Is it perfect? no. but the game lives and does fine. There are players. Not alot, but enough. And Steam is right around the corner and -will- boost player numbers. And yes, there IS dev support - god damnit they just released a big update days ago adding new content and stuff.
Furthermore, you yourself are proof why reddit can't be trusted with this. You come in here talking about glaring issues, stating stuff as if it is a fact, despite not even playing yourself!? you can't even know if the stuff you're saying is true. guess what? a lot of the people posting poo poo here are actually just like you, haven't played in a while, but are spreading their uninformed opinions. there's no "genuine positive vibes" here because of people like you.
so yea, two choices: download it, play it, get your facts... or shut the f up. Especially if, as you claim, you love the game. All this thread does is hurting it. Because the next guy will come, read your uninformed BS, and take it for fact. But don't come here just repeating the crap others are posting, only to add another layer of crap on top of that. nobody needs that.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Minrad posted:

You've got to realize that the people on reddit are NOT a good source to get a feeling for the vibe of the game. not at all. You will NEVER find "genuine positive vibes" here. Doesn't mean that the game is doing badly though. If reddit was right with how they see the game, it would've been shut down long ago. it ain't, cause things are nowhere as bad as the doomcallers around here make it seem. Is it perfect? no. but the game lives and does fine. There are players. Not alot, but enough. And Steam is right around the corner and -will- boost player numbers. And yes, there IS dev support - god damnit they just released a big update days ago adding new content and stuff.
Furthermore, you yourself are proof why reddit can't be trusted with this. You come in here talking about glaring issues, stating stuff as if it is a fact, despite not even playing yourself!? you can't even know if the stuff you're saying is true. guess what? a lot of the people posting poo poo here are actually just like you, haven't played in a while, but are spreading their uninformed opinions. there's no "genuine positive vibes" here because of people like you.
so yea, two choices: download it, play it, get your facts... or shut the f up. Especially if, as you claim, you love the game. All this thread does is hurting it. Because the next guy will come, read your uninformed BS, and take it for fact. But don't come here just repeating the crap others are posting, only to add another layer of crap on top of that. nobody needs that.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Minrad posted:

Lethality?

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Doesn't sound nearly aggressive enough to be Lethality

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

We're at the point of sinking where the water's in the 3rd class cabins at nearly ceiling level and people are still screaming that it's been a great voyage and the people who already bailed out just don't get it.

"We have POOLS in our CABINS now you INGRATES!"

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
This is going to end up like TNA Wrestling isn't it? Where it is terrible for years but somehow doesn't die ever.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Thats how most MMOs go these days. They dont really die, they just limp along on life support eeking out a profit as the game's owner hopes to recoup at least some of their investment. I really doesnt seem to take many players to do basic stuff like keep the lights on.

If you want to actually try to develop new content and grow the game though, that is a very different situation.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'd play a Wrestling MMO. The classes would be heavyweight (tank), middleweight (dual spec tank/dps), lightweight (dps) and manager (healing).

Hulk Hogan as the first raid boss.

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

WoWWF. I'm in.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress yes. I want to grind out matches as a jobber and earn cooler-looking trunks.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

He whiteknights star citizen now. You've got to be a shameful shameful fanboy to be recognizable over different gaming dumpster fires

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Berious posted:

He whiteknights star citizen now. You've got to be a shameful shameful fanboy to be recognizable over different gaming dumpster fires

I wish I had his money. I have medical bills to pay. :smith:

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
When's that 1st quarter earnings report coming out so we can have people say "well arcterra just released lets see what happens guys

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

The last quarterly report got a pretty realistic response from the Wildstar crowd, I was surprised. I think a lot of them have moved past the denial stage of grief.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Pierson posted:

I'd play a Wrestling MMO. The classes would be heavyweight (tank), middleweight (dual spec tank/dps), lightweight (dps) and manager (healing).

Hulk Hogan as the first raid boss.

brock lesner have to be unkillable boss right? like pre wow bullshit level boss that takes half a day to kill with the entire server fighting him.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

Last page, but part of it for me personally is how it was handled - it was This loving Industry at its worst. Paragon Studios was just truckin' along with patch development, including what were shaping up to be some really meaty, attractive updates that might've even segued into a new expansion, and then the axe just came down mid-development with no warning or indication at all (rather nearby to a holiday, too, if memory still serves). The game was even in the black - not by very much, not really showing huge numbers for ~the investors~, but it was producing profit and keeping people employed and players happy.

The CoH shutdown was terribly handled, and yeah, I do still nurse a bit of a grudge over it. If nothing else, I can never quite forgive being that lovely to your developers/employees.

Admittedly, this doesn't help.

It seems a bit wierd to shut off an mmo still in the black. While yes you can allocate those funds elsewhere, mmos are really about permanence and that really seems to show that they have no care for that.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Arcland posted:

It seems a bit wierd to shut off an mmo still in the black. While yes you can allocate those funds elsewhere, mmos are really about permanence and that really seems to show that they have no care for that.

I think the danger of a CoH shutdown is always there. It's a good thing wildstar isn't owned by a company that would shut down an mmo making money like city of heroes.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Lant posted:

This is going to end up like TNA Wrestling isn't it? Where it is terrible for years but somehow doesn't die ever.

I can't wait for this game to be sold to neo-nazis

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Another major round of layoffs yesterday. :ohdear:

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
How are they still laying off enough people that it's considered "major"? Who still works here?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Saw this floating around earlier and holy :rip:

Q1 2016 numbers are the lowest yet. Here's another graph with the numbers to scale:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Sounds like Cyster's okay, at least:

https://twitter.com/TisCaydiem/status/730987421010006021

• Locked thread