Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

BJPaskoff posted:

The only rumor I heard about the next block is from a source on 4chan which was posted on MTGSalvation, so take this with half a grain of lovely sand. They said the next block would have an ancient Egyptian theme and be standalone plot-wise, and the block after that would be another Ravnica block. People have been asking for an ancient Egypt set for a long time. If Emrakul is going to wreak havoc on Innistrad in Eldritch Moon, it would make sense to do a set whose plot is detached from the main story branch; the reason being people are already upset about Emrakul on Innistrad for no loving reason. They go "It's stupid, we just had an Eldrazi set, they're running out of ideas," when in my opinion it's a great idea to tie blocks together instead of planeswalkers and some synergistic game mechanics being the only chain between them.

It really just sounds like a 4channer making poo poo up, especially since the argument takes it for granted Emrakul showing up in EDM is going to upset people. Also, if they were worried about fan backlash over Emrakul enough to decide the next block after SoI (and if they could somehow accurately poll this during Tarkir block, which is when exploratory design of the next block would have started), they would rewrite Emrakul out of Innistrad on the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Uncharted Realms this week is just a series of letters between Gisa and Geralt that read a lot like:

quote:

Gisa,

Please do not bring that up. Lili was never my girlfriend! She took Mikaeus's body back in Thraben and absconded. I never saw her again after our brief acquaintance. She is terrible and I hate her.

I also hate you. Stop calling me by your old awful nicknames and thank me for helping you escape, already.

Here is a foot covered in gout. It reminded me of your personality.

—Geralf

The only relevant plot detail as far as I can tell is that Nahiri and Gisa are working together now; Gisa is basically an airhead so Nahiri convinced her they were buddies and to raise an army of zombies (which Jace thought were being ordered by Liliana) to build a "monument" in Nephalia (the place Jace went when he was loving crazy).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 27, 2016

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

GimmickMan posted:

It really just sounds like a 4channer making poo poo up, especially since the argument takes it for granted Emrakul showing up in EDM is going to upset people. Also, if they were worried about fan backlash over Emrakul enough to decide the next block after SoI (and if they could somehow accurately poll this during Tarkir block, which is when exploratory design of the next block would have started), they would rewrite Emrakul out of Innistrad on the first place.

Yeah seems pretty fake, and I'd say I trust the people saying Kaladesh is next (via WPN again)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

Uncharted Realms this week is just a series of letters between Gisa and Geralt that read a lot like:

The only relevant plot detail as far as I can tell is that Nahiri and Gisa are working together now; Gisa is basically an airhead so Nahiri convinced her they were buddies and to raise an army of zombies (which Jace thought were being ordered by Liliana) to build a "monument" in Nephalia (the place Jace went when he was loving crazy).

Guess I expected Innistradians to speak a bit more... old-fashionedly?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

GimmickMan posted:

Steve Aoki featuring Emrakul - A Light That Never Comes

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Gisa was always kind of an airhead though.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/loreweaving-gisa-and-geralf-the-unauthorized-biography

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Gisa the Valley Girl Necromancer is more of an original character then anyone else introduced in like, ever so i approve

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Dunno why they can't just print Ghoulcaller Gisa and Stitcher Geralf in the set.

Also, its impossible to not type that loving guy's name as Geralt.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Innistrad should just hire Geralt. He'd fix the monster problem

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

pakman posted:

Ciri is literally a Planeswalker, she could do it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

pakman posted:

Regis, the Higher Vampire
Legendary creature
BBB
5/5 indestructible. whenever Regis is dealt damage, exile it. Put X time counters on it. It gains suspend X, where X is the damage dealt to Regis.

Im not sure how to template that but now I want a fan set of The Witcher cards. No, not Gwent.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 27, 2016

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Best Witcher cards, the first Witcher cards, heh...

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

http://www.sbsun.com/events/20160424/meet-the-former-magic-the-gathering-champion-who-brought-his-lamborghini-to-coachella

They should have done a documentary about this successful Magic Pro! Instead we got a movie about a microwave chicken-eating criminal and some mom's-basement-dwelling Rainman types! Sad!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

Gisa the Valley Girl Necromancer is more of an original character then anyone else introduced in like, ever so i approve

She wrote like that in the two story articles they wrote for DKA (those were good articles btw)

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

just rust posted:

http://www.sbsun.com/events/20160424/meet-the-former-magic-the-gathering-champion-who-brought-his-lamborghini-to-coachella

They should have done a documentary about this successful Magic Pro! Instead we got a movie about a microwave chicken-eating criminal and some mom's-basement-dwelling Rainman types! Sad!

SEO is really the perfect line of work for Mike Long to have gotten rich in.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

GimmickMan posted:

This is completely separate from anything involving 4chan, but everyone I've talked to thinks that Emrakul being the reason for Innistrad's denizens going insane is the dumbest thing ever. Like how dare Wizards continue their plotlines past a block, right? I don't get it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

This is completely separate from anything involving 4chan, but everyone I've talked to thinks that Emrakul being the reason for Innistrad's denizens going insane is the dumbest thing ever. Like how dare Wizards continue their plotlines past a block, right? I don't get it.

I mean "magic fans" also like jace as a character so

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

BJPaskoff posted:

I just don't want more eldrazi under 10 cmc for a while. Unless they're flip eldrazi.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

BJPaskoff posted:

As long as destroying Emrakul at the end of the storyline results in Return to Time Spiral because reasons, I'm for it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

BJPaskoff posted:

It's because the entire point of the block paradigm is that the attitude and feeling of the sets change. When you go from Eldritch Horror -> Gothic Horror? -> Nah really its Eldritch Horror it hasn't really flipped the script. Like if this block had just been the fall block with whatever Kaladesh between them it would have been fine. Honestly I'd have liked to see Return to Zendikar -> Totally new world (not Origins related) -> SoI -> Whataver.

As it is we're just getting the Jacetice League Home Plane Sets for 3 in a row, at least. None of this is to say the cards/mechanics/flavor of the sets isn't good, but the way they structured it was really awkward, and took away from Magic's "exploring the wide multiverse" feeling.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

She wrote like that in the two story articles they wrote for DKA (those were good articles btw)

that does not change my statement

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Skyl3lazer posted:

It's because the entire point of the block paradigm is that the attitude and feeling of the sets change. When you go from Eldritch Horror -> Gothic Horror? -> Nah really its Eldritch Horror it hasn't really flipped the script. Like if this block had just been the fall block with whatever Kaladesh between them it would have been fine. Honestly I'd have liked to see Return to Zendikar -> Totally new world (not Origins related) -> SoI -> Whataver.

As it is we're just getting the Jacetice League Home Plane Sets for 3 in a row, at least. None of this is to say the cards/mechanics/flavor of the sets isn't good, but the way they structured it was really awkward, and took away from Magic's "exploring the wide multiverse" feeling.

BFZ wasn't really eldritch horror at all. If Emrakul's the answer to the SOI mystery, then going from BFZ to SOI is basically like going from Aliens to Alien.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Attorney at Funk posted:

BFZ wasn't really eldritch horror at all. If Emrakul's the answer to the SOI mystery, then going from BFZ to SOI is basically like going from Aliens to Alien.

I mean it was presented as a poorly run D&D campaign instead of a Mystery Novel but the threads were the same. Oh no our world is corrupted, the eldrazi menace is threatening us all!

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Personally for me Emrakul showing up in Shadows over Innistrad feels more lazy than anything. Oh lets create this intrigue where Emrakul doesn't show up in BFZ and then literally in the next block they blow their load and can't hold off for even a single block. Just feels a bit rushed, I guess.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Was Emrakul ever playable in RoE? In that version of standard could you even get close to 15 mana?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It saw play in the monogreen ramp deck before everyone figured out that that deck was basically a worse version of Valakut.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It was a sideboard card if anyone at your store was trying to play a mill deck :v:

There were a variety of summoning trap decks

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
The continuity isn't the problem, the pacing just feels incredibly off. They're resolving whatever happened to Baby Emrakul pretty fast.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
There was a deck that played it with Brilliant Ultimatum.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

black potus posted:

The continuity isn't the problem, the pacing just feels incredibly off. They're resolving whatever happened to Baby Emrakul pretty fast.

Wasn't BFZ supposed to be a 3 set block at first? That would explain why they're coming back so soon considering I'm sure the third BFZ set would have been about emrakul and they had designs done already

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Salvor_Hardin posted:

There was a deck that played it with Brilliant Ultimatum.

that deck was pretty sweet - although it was kind of hard keeping liliana alive for the extra turn to resolve the ultimatum since her -2 was the reliable setup for ultimatum'ing your emrakul

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Wasn't BFZ supposed to be a 3 set block at first? That would explain why they're coming back so soon considering I'm sure the third BFZ set would have been about emrakul and they had designs done already

Yes it was, and I am pretty sure that was the plan.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

GeneX posted:

I just don't want more eldrazi under 10 cmc for a while. Unless they're flip eldrazi.

Oh man what if they print a "The Moon" card and it transforms into Emrakul

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Flip cards but the twist is they flip into something worse, definitely.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
If Emrakul is the moon, what does that make the helvault? I'd be down with the third Zen block being a Soul Blazer rip off.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

stinkles1112 posted:

Oh man what if they print a "The Moon" card and it transforms into Emrakul

Moons over El drazi

When this flips, assign each creature to a random player. Return all non-Tamiyo planeswalkers to their owners hands. Each player may put any number of Horror permanents onto the battlefield.
<i>You're not leaving too? Lunatic.</i>

logis fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 27, 2016

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Even if it wasn't, SoI as a 3 set block means that Emmy probably would have dropped in set 2 or 3, most of a year after BFZ.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Too bad there aren't 3 sets or the moon could crash into innistrad on the evening of the third set.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
remember this they come as three

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

atrus50 posted:

remember this they come as three

"What? No, I was talking about celebrity deaths. Oh, I mean, it also works with the Titans, I guess."

• Locked thread