Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Pijeus posted:

Just bought Tales of Hearts R in the sale and jesus christ it's ridiculously anime. Do the characters ever get less.....like that? Bought Shovel Knight too, and ran screaming back to it within 30 minutes of opening ToHR.

All Tales games are like that. All Tales games are horrible jRPGs as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Takoluka posted:

Criminal Girls is a weird existence, because there is a very profitable H-game market that exists (in the West, even!), and by releasing it on the Vita, you basically make sure you cater to almost nobody.
I think even H game fans have a lower tolerance for bullshit than whoever Criminal Girls was made for

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Slur posted:

Oh my god shut up

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Slur posted:

Do you like any video games

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I'm not sure we should listen to anime hitler's opinions on japanese g- anything.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

Yes.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

I'm not sure we should listen to anime hitler's opinions on japanese g- anything.

please don't slur shame

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Pijeus posted:

Just bought Tales of Hearts R in the sale and jesus christ it's ridiculously anime. Do the characters ever get less.....like that? Bought Shovel Knight too, and ran screaming back to it within 30 minutes of opening ToHR.

In about 3-4 hours it jumps from the kid arc to the adult arc.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Name 50.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Megalixir posted:

Graces F did that too though, and the characters didn't mature at all.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Slur posted:

what is this bullshit

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
anyone got recommended class changing paths in Stranger of Sword City? if I gotta future plan I dont wanna screw it up too much

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Sword City initial thoughts:

It's an EXP Inc DRPG but slightly more annoying. It's a lot of the same system but easier to break over your knee once you get started. Obviously permadeath will put a wrench in your plans sometimes but cross-classing (like artifacts) lets you do some Really Dumb poo poo with your characters plus your benched characters make you money and get passive XP so it's not a horrible thing if you want to let someone die and get replaced. The shop is pretty drat useless past buying a few of their neato items (poison does a % of health so it's pretty good to have someone who can put it on bigger monsters).

Also yes you don't NEED someone to identify/pick locks but it's a real real bad idea to not have someone to check trapped boxes. They instead replaced the requisite (Acedemic/Gazer/Thief-thing) with the Dancer which pretty much everyone will want to multiclass to at least 6 for infinite range on weapons.

Starting out I'd recommend hitting the ambush points a few times and running out to get some XP/items and grab some of the decent upgrades at the start. Also don't buy the cure wand expecting it's the broken piece of poo poo it was in Demon Gaze, it either gets cursed (and requires you to leave to get it uncursed) the first use or has a very high chance to get cursed. Also don't be afraid to run, especially from the sprites since spells HURT starting out. A fire bolt could easily one shot my back lines early on.

EDIT: ^^ Most of your melee and MAYBE casters will want Dancer to 6 for infinite range on weapons. It's not a bad idea to get slash from samurai on your melee. Pretty much every class has something nice to multiclass or throw on other characters. There's some people recommending you make your casters archers THEN cleric/wizard which honestly isn't too terrible of an idea since casters don't need to multiclass as hard (maybe dancer to 13, otherwise you just swap classes to the other caster at 30 to reap both trees of spells). Fighters will want the knight skills that lets them do bane damage and whack other rows, and slash.

http://www.spoiler.jp/srv/tsurugi/ is the wiki if you want to look up classes in translate, I mean it's butchered but all the multiclass tips made sense to me. If you played Demon Gaze, it was pretty much the same artifact setups that let you do crazy stuff on your characters except now you don't have the Gazer hogging a spot that you could slap another melee in. Although it's not a TERRIBLE idea to make the MC a knight (and ten thousand years old) since he's the only character that can't permanently die due to plot reasons.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 27, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Help Im Alive posted:

This is a guy who once held an internet game race hostage because he hated how he did so lol slur

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Erg posted:

what is this bullshit

In the series' defense, the combat system is cool.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Megalixir posted:

isn't that graces

i don't recall a child arc in hearts

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Slur posted:

In the series' defense, the combat system is cool.

Yeah, so are their characters and skits

I won't 100% defend their stories, but they never dip to horrible JRPG level

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Erg posted:

Yeah, so are their characters and skits

I won't 100% defend their stories, but they never dip to horrible JRPG level

I personally can't stand the characters and their personalities. Then again, perhaps I've seen too much of its kind lately.

Or Tales of the Abyss soured me that much.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I will defend Abyss.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Motto posted:

I will defend Abyss.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

RanKizama posted:

Would someone that doesn't know poo poo about Digimon enjoy Cyber Sleuth? I grew up a Pokemon kid.

Yeah, though I guess the bonus postgame quests giving you the super final digimons of the various TV shows will have no nostalgia effect as a result

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Did the english airings of Digimon even finish? I read a thing at one point I think that said they didn't

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They had a sort of send off showing all the characters grown up I remember watching. Japan is making what would be a third season into a set of movies.

E: Digimon finished the main story in 2001 and everything after was unrelated according to the wiki.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 27, 2016

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dehry posted:

They had a sort of send off showing all the characters grown up I remember watching. Japan is making what would be a third season into a set of movies.

I caught this before you edited it, and yeah, Digimon Adventure tri is the 6-movie sequel to the Adventure series. However, some of its setup doesn't quite match up with the results of the 02 Epilogue, so it might retcon some things in the future. We don't know for certain.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
They have gone on record that Tri will fill the gaps about 02's epilogue.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Pijeus posted:

This jrpg with lots of anime art is like....... an anime?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Has anybody here ever played uh Malicious Rebirth. I read about it today but info is sparse online.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played the PS3 version, but I had no idea what was going on, sorry.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Has anybody here ever played uh Malicious Rebirth. I read about it today but info is sparse online.

It sucks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I played the PS3 version, but I had no idea what was going on, sorry.

Only reason I'm interested is that it was made by some of the team that made Revengeance/Bayonetta. If it's a good action game that could be fun to pick up

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bummer

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

They have gone on record that Tri will fill the gaps about 02's epilogue.

That could mean anything.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i have not played any recent vita games, but i wanted to let you guys know that i've hit my wall with freedom wars where i could possibly give up because it's getting too frustrating.

also does anyone else make their game characters with way darker skin than they have? i don't know why, maybe liberal guilt.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i have not played any recent vita games, but i wanted to let you guys know that i've hit my wall with freedom wars where i could possibly give up because it's getting too frustrating.

also does anyone else make their game characters with way darker skin than they have? i don't know why, maybe liberal guilt.

I've only played one Hunter game in my life: Monster Hunter Tri. What's Freedom Wars like, and where did you roadblock?

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Nope. Blonde and female. I enjoy having something to look at while I run around in games.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

when you think about it when you make a game character you are establishing a hierarchical master-slave relationship where you are in full control of the resulting character's actions and fate. always making them have way darker skin than you is problematic and makes you pretty racist imo

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

I'm down for helping either tonight or tomorrow if you want. What CODE are you at?

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

U-DO Burger posted:

when you think about it when you make a game character you are establishing a hierarchical master-slave relationship where you are in full control of the resulting character's actions and fate. always making them have way darker skin than you is problematic and makes you pretty racist imo

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
To be fair I hadn't played a Tales game in a long time and I was pretty annoyed at the beginning of Hearts R, the localization team does a lot of punching up the dialogue which can be hit or miss and is even more awkward without a dub track

That said it does get better pretty quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I really like Saints Row's customization because I could play as effectively myself, and have a fat white dude running around being gangsta, and everyone's cool with it.