Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Tekopo posted:

The New Mexico seems to me a step down from the New York. I was actually doing alright with the New York but base New Mexico is just trash.

Welcome to the life of someone playing IJN BBs, where the A Hulls are all trash. The stat comparison "upgrading" from a Kongo to a Fuso was hilarious, with every bar dropping significantly. Guns from 22km range to 13km, speed from 30 knots to like 18, armor decrease, and all AA gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Khisanth Magus posted:

Welcome to the life of someone playing IJN BBs, where the A Hulls are all trash. The stat comparison "upgrading" from a Kongo to a Fuso was hilarious, with every bar dropping significantly. Guns from 22km range to 13km, speed from 30 knots to like 18, armor decrease, and all AA gone.

Don't forget the trash WW1 shells. At least they realized that this might be a bad thing and fixed it. For the Izumo only.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

demonR6 posted:

After 20 minutes of data repacking it wants to clean up files, then tells me I have the incorrect game version.. more clean up, downloading missing files, now I am downloading that other 1gb file you mentioned. Bravo WG all this and there is a horrible GUI bug waiting at the end of the rainbow for me.

On the plus side, the load time increases are pretty impressive.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Well, game is unplayable. On the load screen it crashes with an out of memory error and pukes. Good job Wargaming.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Hazdoc posted:

Jesus christ the bugs are real. UI freezes randomly and it becomes a shitshow of figuring out who is what and where.

This would be HILARIOUS as a game mode, no indicators on friendly or hostile ships, so you're constantly trying to figure out who's friendly and who's not. No indicators on planes sometimes, either, so your squads suddenly get strafed by invisible planes.

Had this happen to me in a carrier game and I had difficulty finding my own ship, couldn't target enemy squadrons at all after a while, it did become a lot easier to manually divebomb although I'm not sure if I hit enemies or friendlies so that was something.

I think it would be a fun game mode but it definitely wasn't what I signed up for.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Tekopo posted:

The New Mexico seems to me a step down from the New York. I was actually doing alright with the New York but base New Mexico is just trash.

The New Mex is the highlight of the US battleship line so you may want to consider stopping there if you don't like it.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Finally got my USN Cruiser captain to 15 skill points. 9.5km detection range on maxed out New Orleans is almost impressive. Too bad its a tier 8 cruiser with no torpedoes and 4.3rpm guns.

So far I havent experienced any UI issues

Edit: I just ran into a bone stock Fuso for the first time I can remember. Couldnt figure out why he wasnt blasting me and thought he was a bot at first. Then it dawned on me when he finally fired at like 13km. I think I lit him on fire 9 times. 26 defense flags while he tried in vain to capture area D on Northern Lights. 2700+ xp game, the poor bastard.

Lakedaimon fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 28, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Ugh, had a 120k damage loss in the Roon.

Ended by points with nobody alive but me and an MK at 8k hp.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

well thanks to all the folks who recommended the wakatake. it is a statpadding death machine.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Go home matchmaker you are drunk

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Pacra posted:

It does that when it can't properly match out the high tiers on both teams. Since they got those T10s, they compensated by giving you +2 nerds. Lets be honest, the Yamato will be ferocious against those T8 BBs, and Zaos are pretty bullshit, especially with no CVs to stop them stealth firing.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

^ those were some miserable games. the zao kept railing me with 6k HE volleys without the damage going down. you'd think superstructure HP would give those shots marginal return.

of course when i go solo luck changes as the next match i got 1.2M cred in the kutuzov and this lovely thing happened:

but all the over head icons disappeared/became disjointed. i did about 8K in FF until i realized the map WAS updating at least. ~oops~

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 28, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

At least the new shell graphics look cool, I feel like they increase depth perception over the old flares and increase manual accuracy, even if that doesn't end up being true.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Pacra posted:

The New Mex is the highlight of the US battleship line so you may want to consider stopping there if you don't like it.
Yeah, I'm getting the hang of it now, but base New Mexico was painful, especially when I seemed to get more matchmaking where I would end up as the slow, un-manoeuvrable target of tier VIII ships. The problem I had with it at base is that the range of the guns is actually lower than an upgraded NY, even though you do have much better volume of fire and at least you don't have that lovely midship turret. I've got the firing range module, engine upgrade and A hull so I'm liking it a bit more now that I've got used to it. Just so used to being a bully in low tier NY matches where that ship can pretty much rule.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Just got the UI bug for the first time, and of course it happened on my first carrier game of the patch. In the end, according to minimap myself and the enemy Ryujo had 15 squadrons in the air

e: It's patching again, hopefully a hotfix

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 28, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
This is a fantastic bug it seems. On the bright side, it looks like an extension will be had for both the missions and premium time because of this:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/77521-update-with-possible-fix-ui-issues-055-and-when-its-going-to-be-fixed/

Also, you can see what the trigger is if you didn't know already.

Edit: of course, as I post that, ntrabbit points out another patch and it seems at the tail end of that thread there is also mention of a patch a few hours ago that should be the fix for the ui thing.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 28, 2016

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I had the UI bug last night too; thankfully the overhead emblems only dropped from friendly ships. Enemies were still tagged red.

Speaking of bone stock horror poo poo-shows, part of me would almost like a WWI mode with only ships that were around then in their stock configurations.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Pacra posted:

You brought this on yourself by doing a 3 battleship division. That poo poo shouldn't be allowed, the same way you can't do 2 carriers.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Well, getting back into this game (quit around when the Tirpitz was released and they said gently caress YOU to merging Tanks gold), and oh GOD am I bad at this game now. Doesn't help that all the captains that I had spec'd had their skills reset and I'm not sure what the meta is nowadays, nor does it help that I'm apparently trash at figuring out how to citadel anymore.

I know Tanks has a mod that shows you the armor thickness of the point you're aiming at vs your shell pen, but is there anything similar for botes? I know Quemapueblos was talking about having 3D armor models in the game at the PAX afterparty, but didn't know if there was a community-sourced version for that yet.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Vorkosigan posted:

Well, getting back into this game (quit around when the Tirpitz was released and they said gently caress YOU to merging Tanks gold), and oh GOD am I bad at this game now. Doesn't help that all the captains that I had spec'd had their skills reset and I'm not sure what the meta is nowadays, nor does it help that I'm apparently trash at figuring out how to citadel anymore.

I know Tanks has a mod that shows you the armor thickness of the point you're aiming at vs your shell pen, but is there anything similar for botes? I know Quemapueblos was talking about having 3D armor models in the game at the PAX afterparty, but didn't know if there was a community-sourced version for that yet.

Not really, and precision aiming like that isn't terribly helpful in WoWS. In practice, the belt protecting the magazines and the engine is the thickest armor of the ship, while the thinnest armor is usually the deck, and along the upper parts of the bow and stern. Shooting above the waterline will hit thinner armor than at the waterline, in practice. Superstructure is unarmored, and turrets typically have similar armor to that of the belt, for obvious reasons. The Engines of a ship are typically located underneath the smokestacks, often in the very middle of the ship. The magazines are usually right underneath the turrets, but can be offset closer to the middle of the ship by a little at times. Magazines also don't have citadel hitboxes until a ship can carry 8 inch guns or larger (so CA T5+ IJN, T7+ US, all BBs, etc) There as some exceptions to the citadel location rules, but not many (The Cleveland, for instance, has 2 engine citadels, offset to the left and right of the smokestacks).

CA guns up to a caliber of 155mm typically can't penetrate BB armor at it's thickest points, but aiming for the bow/stern of a US ship, or getting close and hitting a bit above the waterline on IJN ships, will often net pens. Plunging shells very often penetrate if they make it to the deck without ricocheting from the angle. 203mm guns can penetrate even high tier BB armor, especially at close range, assuming little angling. If you've got the shot, don't pass it up. 8k+ damage salvos are not unheard of, and scoring citadel hits on a BB in a CA can be a huge game-changer, especially if you manage to crit the engine... or detonate their magazine. Just be aware that BBs will return the favor thrice over at close range, and can easily pen you, even with shells that hit the water. In fact, these underwater pens are the most dangerous, since they'll typically go straight into a citadel.

DD guns should only really be firing AP if they've got a good angle on a CA, otherwise HE all the time. You can swap it to AP, but you need to know what you're doing, hitting a BB where the superstructure meets the deck is typically the way RUS DDs get their pens.

BB guns will usually penetrate CAs whenever they hit, assuming you're not firing into heavily angled armor. BBs dont need to penetrate the citadel to do big damage on other BBs, getting a couple of normal hits on less armored sections will still do hefty damage.

In port, you can hit the "Survivability" tab to see your general armor thickness over certain parts of the ship. It's not perfect, but it'll give you an idea of what sort of armor you've got.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Thanks! The refresher is super useful. I'm also going through your Capt Skill list to re-spec all my guys.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Is it just me, or are manual AA/secondary target designation and the little per-hit damage counters still broken after the hotfix?

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
For some reason my serverlist is empty. I already tried uninstalling then reinstalling. Anyone know of any other fixes?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, I'm getting the hang of it now, but base New Mexico was painful, especially when I seemed to get more matchmaking where I would end up as the slow, un-manoeuvrable target of tier VIII ships. The problem I had with it at base is that the range of the guns is actually lower than an upgraded NY, even though you do have much better volume of fire and at least you don't have that lovely midship turret. I've got the firing range module, engine upgrade and A hull so I'm liking it a bit more now that I've got used to it. Just so used to being a bully in low tier NY matches where that ship can pretty much rule.

It does take some time to get used to from the NY - most importantly, you should also get out of the New Mex A hull and into B hull as soon as possible. The A hull has worse shell penetration, less health, very poor AA, poor rudder shift, and easily penetrable armor. Going from A to B isn't as radical as the Fuso A->B change, but it's close. C is AA icing on the cake. As a rule of thumb, A Hulls on battleships are pretty terrible in this game.

wukkar posted:

You brought this on yourself by doing a 3 battleship division. That poo poo shouldn't be allowed, the same way you can't do 2 carriers.

don't blame the victim :smuggo:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

NEVER END, DOUBLE XP EVENT, NEVER END

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
This is probably a stupid question, but is there some kind of aim assist mod out? I've noticed some weird poo poo in tier VIII+ games that honestly can't be explained any other way.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Ghetto Prince posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but is there some kind of aim assist mod out? I've noticed some weird poo poo in tier VIII+ games that honestly can't be explained any other way.

Even if aim assist is back, its not as good as knowing how to shoot without it. Experienced players know how to lead, how to adjust to catch people in turns, and over the course of many games, eventually there will be one where your dispersion is great every shot and you perfectly predict people's turns for big damage salvos. See: the screenshot I just posted.

Edit: Also, unless you're EU, its super unlikely somebody's been able to make an aim assist mod this recently after the patch, especially with all the changes to the files.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 29, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The new Aslain's is out, and a fuckload of mods are gone, including all the gunsights, the highly useful 'last spotted position' minmap mod, extended tech tree, better carousel icons, fog remover, camo remover, most of the zoom mods

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I got the cyclone event on the North map today, and oh man was that poo poo terrifying, but also absolutely hilarious at points. Ended up getting 8 citadel hits in my Fuso, while bottom tier. I think I understand what KV-2 drivers feel in WoT.

I am never selling this thing. 123k damage and I'm not even mad about the defeat, the battle was way too exciting to be mad about it.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Has anyone had an issue since patch where you can't control+click on enemy ships or planes?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Trying to use the 2x every win to get out of the Svietlana, but a win rate of exactly 10% from 10 battles is really not helping. This ship really is a shower of poo poo.

kaesarsosei posted:

Has anyone had an issue since patch where you can't control+click on enemy ships or planes?

Working ok for me, on planes at least

Genaro
Sep 22, 2011
I went from 30k to done in my Pensacola over the span of a few hours. Getting ~6-8k per victory (and I had a string of competent teams) without xp flag or camo is pretty baller.

Of course, now that I'm re-training that captain, I'm re-learning the pain of running a USN CA without situational awareness...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I used 6k free xp to unlock the Kirov, because the Svietlana was sucking all of the joy out of the world one 600xp loss at a time

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

How long does the double XP event last?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MoraleHazard posted:

How long does the double XP event last?

Until the regular down time on the 30th

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

is it just me or should we have a new thread title:

World of Warships: Hot seamen penetrating broadsides

I'm sure there's something better out there.

NTRabbit posted:

The new Aslain's is out, and a fuckload of mods are gone, including all the gunsights, the highly useful 'last spotted position' minmap mod, extended tech tree, better carousel icons, fog remover, camo remover, most of the zoom mods

for some reason the damage display on in OTM (like '-280' when you hit something with an HE shell) disappeared.

i'm also not a fan of the new shell tracers. would be nice to have more visible tracers back.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I've managed to use the boost days to get out of two ships I really don't like in the Svietlana and Aoba, and also got into a Ranger, and an on-sale Pensacola, so this has been pretty useful.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Ghetto Prince posted:

There are several versions on various pay sites.

But there is little point in using them, since they can only calculate your lead against something going in a straight line. As soon as a ship starts to turn, these aimbots are just as off as a player, since they cannot calculate the end point of a turn.

The only real use is if you are quickly switching between various target types going at different speeds. And once you have a few hundred battles under your belt you will have built the intuition to be better than any aim bot.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

One of the things that always throws my aim off is switching to a new crosshairs. I guess because I'm right brained, I just intuit the range and speed so when the crosshairs gets switched, my brain hiccups and my aim sucks for a few days until I get used to where I need to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

One of the things that always throws my aim off is switching to a new crosshairs. I guess because I'm right brained, I just intuit the range and speed so when the crosshairs gets switched, my brain hiccups and my aim sucks for a few days until I get used to where I need to be.