Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Back in the wacky late 90's I was really into that poo poo. Fyi brands and cuttings really dont age very well. Fortunately the wild chest hair growth during second puberty hides a lot of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I can still kinda see the spot on the back of my hand some roux I was cooking splattered on almost ten years ago. That's good enough.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yeah, I didn't know the molten sugar scars on my forearms were trendy. :P

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Liquid Communism posted:

You have to hashtag it

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Liquid Communism posted:

Psssh, burns and lacerations are SO last year. This big lump over my orbital socket from getting beaned by an Army-sized china cap is the new hotness. And all the cool kids are wearing forearm braces (seriously, they need to rename bursitis from "tennis elbow" to "dishwasher elbow")

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Has David Chang's recent article in GQ make it around here?

http://www.gq.com/story/david-chang-resturant-business-challenges

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

nuru posted:

I was thinking about this last night when I went out to eat and got served cold chicken with what seemed like steamed white onions, green peppers and lovely tiny mushrooms that ran $13 before tax and whose food cost couldn't be over $3 (especially since clearly zero labor went into it) delivered with taciturn-at-best service, and then i thought about how I'm constantly trying to stop the other cooks from smashing cooked burgers and thought about what it'd be like if I wasn't there at all and then prince died and i dunno man. Everything sucks. Anyway sent the cold food back and it got 30 seconds in the microwave before coming back out with "is that okay?" before I could even check it for heat. Hoorah for paying actual money for room temp food!

So yeah eat the rich, Bernie 2016, smash the burgers when they first hit the plancha and not ever again, namaste y'all. Gonna get stoned and pray for a tornado that keeps the drunks scared at home so I can take a nap on the line.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I was thinking about this last night when I went out to eat and got served cold chicken with what seemed like steamed white onions, green peppers and lovely tiny mushrooms that ran $13 before tax and whose food cost couldn't be over $3 (especially since clearly zero labor went into it) delivered with taciturn-at-best service, and then i thought about how I'm constantly trying to stop the other cooks from smashing cooked burgers and thought about what it'd be like if I wasn't there at all and then prince died and i dunno man. Everything sucks. Anyway sent the cold food back and it got 30 seconds in the microwave before coming back out with "is that okay?" before I could even check it for heat. Hoorah for paying actual money for room temp food!

So yeah eat the rich, Bernie 2016, smash the burgers when they first hit the plancha and not ever again, namaste y'all. Gonna get stoned and pray for a tornado that keeps the drunks scared at home so I can take a nap on the line.

Read this, though it was a WillieTomg post, then realized it wasn't.

Namaste y'all.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
I want to kill my drunk coworker. I'm basically running the line by myself for the dinner rush. How does anyone get this drunk at work

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

the great deceiver posted:

I want to kill my drunk coworker. I'm basically running the line by myself for the dinner rush. How does anyone get this drunk at work

Practice.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Is this you're first day in a restaurant?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Generally well before the start of their shift, so you get to babysit them through sobering up while trying to push out orders. Also

Skwirl posted:

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
head chef told me that you should never waste your days off being hungover, its much more efficient to be hungover at work. like maybe you will get some poo poo if you come in super hungover for the busiest shifts

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Skwirl posted:

No I've been blessed with functional alcoholics until now. I've watched this kid go downhill and show up increasingly hosed up on booze and pills until he's at the point where he literally cannot cook. He won't be fired because he is the GM's boyfriend's younger brother

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

I've definitely drank on the job so I'm full of poo poo but never to the point of being drunk like this

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

My exec bought me the special edition gunmetal grey Gray Kunz spoon. Good spoon, has nice heft, looks loving killer though

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 28, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

My exec bought me the special edition gunmetal grey Gray Kunz spoon. Good spoon, has nice heft, looks loving killer though

only a matter of time until someone puts it down the disposal

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Is this like gold speaker wires or what? It's a spoon.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

that is definitely a spoon, and a big one

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

gently caress you, this is a good spoon

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

It was the first spoon designed specifically for plating. Prior to that, cooks would just use any kind of service spoon. It was a pretty big deal to own a Kunz spoon at the time, because you could only get one by working for him.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Discendo Vox posted:

A loving rad spoon yeah

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Tonight's fun surprise was an 80 top without any call ahead at about 8:00. So they'll still be here a little after 10 when the hordes of college kids descend to slake their thirsts with $3 Long Islands and tip jackshit until close. It's a special sort of hell.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

nuru posted:

my initial reaction was "who buys a bowl of noodles for $17?"

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
We got nicely busy for a few hours tonight. Out of about a dozen tables (overstaffing woo), literally 2 checks tipped 20% or above. The rest left 10-15%. Since I usually pull 20-25%, I'm unsure whether tonight the issue was the subhuman white trash crowd or my lack of patience for dealing with their poo poo for once.

Highlights include "Here's a receipt and the last three times we've come here, we didn't get our rewards points added on so we need you to fix this despite being busy as gently caress and having no way to verify our geriatric bullshit". Of course what I can't tell them is that being an annoying rear end in a top hat tends to result in your rewards points being "forgotten". Or the neverending train of tables who wait 30 minutes for a joiner and grow indignant b/c HOW DARE YOU not be standing there the microsecond that joiner arrives, offering a wide selection of lipsticks for you to apply to their rear end via your own lips. Or the deluge of powhitetrash who are either methed up or think that asking for $5 of extra bullshit sauces, split up into half a dozen separate requests, is free as long as it isn't ordered with the entree.

I'm usually really, really good at almost every aspect of my job but this is two solid weeks of at least 70% of my tables being lovely white trash and it's all I can do to not papercut their throats with the edges of their welfare checks.

Business Gorillas posted:

my initial reaction was "who buys a bowl of noodles for $17?"

People who aren't clever enough to bullshit their way into getting it comped, of course.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
$17 is too much for noodles and I live in Australia

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
but it's not just noodles it's David Chang's Extra Special Ramen That Should Really Cost 30 Bucks

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Illinois Smith posted:

but it's not just noodles it's David Chang's Extra Special Ramen That Should Really Cost 30 Bucks

Noodles: water, flour, salt
Broth: Trimmings, leftovers, animal bones, "extra stuff" stewed&simmered for half a day
Extras: Vegetables, meats, egg, etc.

Once you figure out the perfect mix of stuff for the broth and the recipe for the noodles how the gently caress does it take $17 (or $30) to produce one bowl? Labor? Food costs? Overhead?

I loved Mind of a Chef and David Chang seemed like he was all about finding new and cheaper ways to make food better (using freeze dried ingredients to make perfect ramen broth, cuts out the entire 8-24 hour simmering time) but how can he say its $30 for soup and pasta with a straight face?

pentyne fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 28, 2016

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

pentyne posted:

Noodles: water, flour, salt
Broth: Trimmings, leftovers, animal bones, "extra stuff" stewed&simmered for half a day
Extras: Vegetables, meats, egg, etc.

Once you figure out the perfect mix of stuff for the broth and the recipe for the noodles how the gently caress does it take $17 (or $30) to produce one bowl? Labor? Food costs? Overhead?

I loved Mind of a Chef and David Chang seemed like he was all about finding new and cheaper ways to make food better (using freeze dried ingredients to make perfect ramen broth, cuts out the entire 8-24 hour simmering time) but how can he say its $30 for soup and pasta with a straight face?

You're really underplaying overhead here? Labor, site maintenance, utilities, all that poo poo? Also there's the whole thing where people paying for any food in the first place is absurd so being specific about it about something trendy right now, and how you want to fleece suckers as much as possible just to get by so really who gives a poo poo about $17 ramen ultimately as long as everyone's getting paid? This sentence is neither a run-on nor a question, and that's really saying something. Or is it?

I agree that Mind of a Chef owns though

e: i am really bad at reading at 5 am

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 28, 2016

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Are there any companies that have metrics available for things related to the food industry?

For example, if I wanted to know what % of customers come back to a restaurant they liked after the first visit. In that case would some sort of coupon provided to every first review or next visit make you more or less money.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

That article seems like Chang kicking rocks and pouting since he knows the industry is toxic as gently caress but his solution is to widen his profit margins. I doubt that increasing your labor by 50% translates to almost doubling the price of everything on the menu (assuming we're applying the ramen price jump to everything)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Business Gorillas posted:

That article seems like Chang kicking rocks and pouting since he knows the industry is toxic as gently caress but his solution is to widen his profit margins. I doubt that increasing your labor by 50% translates to almost doubling the price of everything on the menu (assuming we're applying the ramen price jump to everything)

Labor is the second most expensive thing in the industry.For instance, yesterday was an average day of business, with a good lunch banquet. Total F&B revenue was ~25k. I had 10 cooks working yesterday, at an average hourly wage of 13, some higher, some lower. A few of those cooks got OT because of business we'll have today in banquets. This doesn't include management's salary, stewards/dishwashers, servers.

So just the cooks are ~6-7% of revenue. If I include everyone else, labor's right around 20%. My food cost is 24-25%. Overhead is a lot lower as I'm in a hotel. Then you have employee benefits, health insurance premiums, etc.

At the end of the year, our F&B turns 4-5% profit in outlets, and 10%ish in banquets.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Labor is the second most expensive thing in the industry.For instance, yesterday was an average day of business, with a good lunch banquet. Total F&B revenue was ~25k. I had 10 cooks working yesterday, at an average hourly wage of 13, some higher, some lower. A few of those cooks got OT because of business we'll have today in banquets. This doesn't include management's salary, stewards/dishwashers, servers.

So just the cooks are ~6-7% of revenue. If I include everyone else, labor's right around 20%. My food cost is 24-25%. Overhead is a lot lower as I'm in a hotel. Then you have employee benefits, health insurance premiums, etc.

At the end of the year, our F&B turns 4-5% profit in outlets, and 10%ish in banquets.

How much does this vary across the industry. As an example, is a place that's committed to higher quality source product going to have a lower marginm or is a sports bar likely to have a higher margin due to massive alcohol sales?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Vorenus posted:

How much does this vary across the industry. As an example, is a place that's committed to higher quality source product going to have a lower marginm or is a sports bar likely to have a higher margin due to massive alcohol sales?

Bars will kick the poo poo out of a restaurant every day of the week in profit.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

goodness posted:

Are there any companies that have metrics available for things related to the food industry?

For example, if I wanted to know what % of customers come back to a restaurant they liked after the first visit. In that case would some sort of coupon provided to every first review or next visit make you more or less money.

The new sexy is wifi/bluetooth tracking of cell phones. There's a few companies out there mainly hitting big chains retails stores at the moment as the tech starts to evolve. Keywords to google is "location analytics".

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

goodness posted:

Opentable definitely tracks and has some of this kinda stuff. There's also Avero, which is more restaurant focused than customer focused I guess? But also some interesting things there, too.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Also, a gray kunz spoon is like, top 5 important kitchen items behind knife, sharpie, towels, and uhhh something else I am forgetting.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Turkeybone posted:

Also, a gray kunz spoon is like, top 5 important kitchen items behind knife, sharpie, towels, and uhhh something else I am forgetting.

Cutting board? Plates? Pacojet according to people here?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Turkeybone posted:

a pan
heat source
that machine that's made to cut onions into an outback bloomin onion
my big mac sauce gun (holds 1 quart of premium sauce)

edit:

yeah, i know its like 20%, which is why i'm having kind of a hard time believing that doubling the prices of everything on your menu is necessary, unless he wants to pay his BotH like $25-30/hour plus benefits.

i imagine the more realistic idea for him is "double the prices on everything, say its for your workers demanding more money, give them all a dollar raise and now your customer base is angry at your workers while you pocket way more money than you did previously"

its not like private restaurant owners have a history of being shady as gently caress and wanting to cut as many corners as humanly possible or anything

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

What makes the Kunz spoon particularly useful?

• Locked thread