Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

The Rokstar posted:

Does killing this person in <place> also kill her in <other place>? I'm sort of curious about that for no real reason.

e:

Real talk when someone does this when I'm sunbroing I'll black crystal out of there because gently caress that and gently caress you.

I go along with it so the dancer is more powerful and kills them immediately, tbh. And then I sunbro gesture the hell out of when they die to emphasize their need to git gud so they can get that gesture too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue
So here's something interesting. Goofing around and collecting items I missed/Fashion Souls/WHY DID IT TAKE ME AN HOUR TO GET A FROST SCYTHE before going into NG+ and I noticed that, hey, I never actually tested to see if spells use more stamina when cast from the left hand, like they did in Dark Souls 2. Felt kinda silly since I was casting from the left hand the whole game, but whatever, let's test it.

So, first thing I notice is in fact my left hand is costing me less stamina, why is this? Because casting stamina varies by catalyst, not hand. (Yes, I did reverse hands and the costs were the same.)

Why does casting stamina cost vary by catalyst? Who knows! But it does, and actually fairly significantly. Getting exact numbers on this is kinda too much trouble, but for Sorcery Catalysts at least, the stamina costs appear to be as follows: from least to greatest, with catalysts I couldn't tell a difference between sharing rows:

Golden Ritual Spear(...That's nice, I guess)
Crystal Chime(Seriously why are these Faith splits up here)
Court Sorcerer's Staff
Witchtree Branch, Sorcerer's Staff
Immolation Tinder, Sage's Crystal Staff, Storyteller's Staff
Heretic's Staff, Heysel Pick, Izalith Staff(Ouch...)

I don't have the Medicant's Staff, Archdeacon Great Staff, Mangrub's Staff, or Cleric's Candlestick, so I couldn't test any of those.

My testing was hardly perfect, lacking a decent way to measure stamina other than by the icons under my bar, but the differences were significant, like, the Golden Ritual Spear was casting things for almost half the stamina cost of the Heretic's/Izalith/Heysel. Not that that actually makes the Golden Ritual Spear worth using for any but the strangest builds, but it does make the Court Sorcerer's Staff even more superior to Sage's Crystal Staff than it already was(Sage's Crystal is weaker unless under it's hideously expensive Steady Chant, which has just as short a duration as it usually does...), and that extra stamina tax kinda hurts Izalith and Heretic's.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i'm looking at different weapon options with a luck / hollowed & bleed build, and i'm wondering which weapons are really the best choice. i know rear end is the speed run choice, i'm assuming because straight sword superiority but also because it has very low stat requirements, but what about things like the reinforced club or the painted guardian curved sword or the flamberge? the reinforced club only needs 2 more stat points than rear end and you get strike damage out of it, and the flamberge in general seems like a straight upgrade to the claymore, plus now you get bleed. are these not used because the rear end exists and there's no reason not to use a straight sword, or am i missing something else?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
People have trouble with Oceiros? I have literally only lost to him once in about 6-7 fights. Just stay behind him and he can't do poo poo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Vermain posted:

Dodge rolling it is also really boring, because I'm still just waiting for the cinematic quicktime event of every boss to end so that I can get in my one safe attack before going back to waiting. I'm still doing button presses in time with attacks, but I don't have to worry as much about input delay causing me to lose half my health.

Do the dodge roll correctly you can get in several hits per attack.

Because dodge roll is life

Dodge roll shows the way.

Accept dodge roll into your heart

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

homeless poster posted:

are these not used because the rear end exists and there's no reason not to use a straight sword, or am i missing something else?

It's the former, along with the fact that the Hollow infusion is just not very good.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I like how there are two more or less BiS straight swords and the acronym on both is rear end.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

homeless poster posted:

i'm looking at different weapon options with a luck / hollowed & bleed build, and i'm wondering which weapons are really the best choice. i know rear end is the speed run choice, i'm assuming because straight sword superiority but also because it has very low stat requirements, but what about things like the reinforced club or the painted guardian curved sword or the flamberge? the reinforced club only needs 2 more stat points than rear end and you get strike damage out of it, and the flamberge in general seems like a straight upgrade to the claymore, plus now you get bleed. are these not used because the rear end exists and there's no reason not to use a straight sword, or am i missing something else?

Anyone weapon with natural bleed that you can infuse (with Hollow) is good for a Luck build. Corvian Great Scythe and Warden Twinblades are especially good. The scythe has higher bleed damage than most weapons and is pretty red in general (have to deal with self bleed, though) and the twinblades are some of the fastest to bleed weapons thanks to the Skill->R2 combo.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Rokstar posted:

I like how there are two more or less BiS straight swords and the acronym on both is rear end.

The primary all boss speedrun route is literally the rear end bleed build. Thanks, From Software.

Genocyber posted:

Anyone weapon with natural bleed that you can infuse (with Hollow) is good for a Luck build. Corvian Great Scythe and Warden Twinblades are especially good. The scythe has higher bleed damage than most weapons and is pretty red in general (have to deal with self bleed, though) and the twinblades are some of the fastest to bleed weapons thanks to the Skill->R2 combo.

I'd forgotten about Warden Twinblades, actually. Those things are loving nasty with Hollow.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I messed up big time. I had some sort of horrible brain fart and gave the shrine maiden Orbeck's ashes BEFORE talking to Yuria. And of course they were the sole trigger for getting the Morion sword, so now I'm locked out of experimenting with it until NG++. Great.

Edit: Oh wait, I guess I could trade it from another character that I won't use it on. How exactly does one go about trading, just summon a phantom, drop the item, have them pick it up, then summon them on the other character and have them drop it? Or can phantoms not pick up items, I forget?

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 28, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Tenzarin posted:

He died, did the same thing twice now. The wiki was updated and says patches is the one who saves him now.

A couple pages back but yes, and also, no?

Both Patches and Sieg can save him.

On my first run Sieg was in the kitchen, and I literally never talked to Patches and he never asked where Greirat was, and he survived.

Also what wiki are you looking at because the fextralife one (pretty good) says both of them can.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
what is the use of warmth?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

BillmasterCozb posted:

what is the use of warmth?

It very slowly heals. So I guess if you were willing to trade FP and time for health?

But, thing is it very slowly heals EVERYTHING, including pve mobs and bosses. If that hasn't changed from DS2.

So the real use is to troll people, or turn multi phantom fights into king of the hills, so basically it's the perfect mound maker spell.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It heals at such an absolutely pitiful rate that there is no practical use, trolling or otherwise, for it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you want to heal over time, just put on the sun princess ring or something

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

It heals at such an absolutely pitiful rate that there is no practical use, trolling or otherwise, for it.

Ah, so the perfect mound maker spell then.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

if you want to heal over time, just put on the sun princess ring or something

and then take it off
and then put it back on again

repeat 500x for 1k hp.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Am I an rear end in a top hat if I mule a lovely gimmick build like dual Avelyns with Exploding Bolts even though you run out of bolts in like 2 invasions and have to spend another 10 minutes muling more.

yes but only because you can't powerstance avelyns anymore

also because our killcount has got to be higher

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

argondamn posted:

and then take it off
and then put it back on again

repeat 500x for 1k hp.

works for blessed weapons and rear end as well plus you can just mash the dpad as you travel

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
After Greirats's third outing you can get shotgun bolts :aaa:

I wanna make a shotgun avelynn build now

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So what's a good early weapon to make Fire. I used Broadsword my first playthrough and it seemed pretty good. A Fire Uchigatana?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Lotish posted:

So what's a good early weapon to make Fire. I used Broadsword my first playthrough and it seemed pretty good. A Fire Uchigatana?

astora straight sword isn't a bad choice because it's got poo poo scaling anyway and you can get it in lothric high wall in the area after the second black snake hollow. it's in the room with the dogs and regular hollows, past the patrolling spear knight, above the courtyard with the fat winged knight.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I still can't deal with those twinblade Warden assholes. You might imagine this is making Untended Graves not very much fun.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
So without spoiling too much, will joining a PvP covenant and invading players effect the ending I get?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zebrasectomy posted:

So without spoiling too much, will joining a PvP covenant and invading players effect the ending I get?

No.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Does anyone have that fig of the mimic chasing the guy like in a Scooby Doo episode?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Zebrasectomy posted:

None of them affect the ending. One specifically can mess up an NPC questline, but that's it.

Sirris of the Sunless Realms will instantly hate you forever if you ever equip the Rosaria's Fingers covenant item or turn in a Pale Tongue for any reason.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I took a break and nuked oceiros using warcry so he didn't even get a chance to use the charge

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

Harrow posted:

I still can't deal with those twinblade Warden assholes. You might imagine this is making Untended Graves not very much fun.

Dealing with the Grave Wardens is mostly about learning which of their attacks give them super armor. They can be stunlocked pretty easily by faster weapons, up until the point where they wind up one of their uninterruptable moves. I don't remember off hand which these are, but I think the ones where they sort of dodge to the side and twirl around can't be stopped except with like a really heavy weapon. I think. I'd need to double check to be sure.

A strong shield is also a good solution. Regardless of how you feel about them (personally, coming off of Bloodborne, I tend to favor more mobility because that's what I'm used to) 100% physical reduction shields are super good in this game. A lot of the more annoying enemies, like dogs and rogues, just sort of bounce off of you and leave themselves very open to counterattacks. Even bosses can be blocked effectively with some upgrades in stability in a strong shield like the Stone Parma or the Shield of Want.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Champion Gundyr is the only time in this entire game I've felt like Estus is too slow. There's just no time to chug in his second phase.

On the bright side, the Gotthard Twinswords just eat up his HP even at only +8. I'm mostly frustrated because my first attempt was the closest I've gotten to beating him--he had like three hits left--but I got trapped in a corner and combo'd into oblivion. On subsequent tries I can get him to his second phase and then he just stomps me flat.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like how much backwards momentum dogs get when you hit them, because it will never not be amusing to tap one and launch it 5 feet backwards off a cliff

Betty
Apr 14, 2008
Dear fellow Murder Bros, I need help murdering bros. I really suck at it. Like I don't think I've killed a single host yet. This is my first time actually invading people out of all the souls games because why not. Every game I invade its pretty much always a 2v1 or 3v1 once the cops show up. One guy endlessly poking/stunlocking you to death with an estoc is bad enough but 2 or 3 of them just blows. I guess it doesn't help that I'm sort of gimmick invading people in full grave warden gear and using the warden curved swords, because seriously gently caress those things, and can't poke them back to death but gently caress me this is hard. Please halp.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The rolling L1 on the Gotthards is no joke. God that's a good attack.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Spook+Hidden Body is kinda broken for PvE. You can literally brush shoulders with enemies and they still won't notice you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

StringOfLetters posted:

He doesn't need to cancel out of his weapon art to parry you. Katana hold + 'heavy attack' does a parry.

I learned something horrible today. :v:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Chaos bed vestiges rape the Jailers in Irithyll Dungeon. Made the last room a joke.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I swear all my fights against NK either end with me dying before he loses 10% hp or victory. His second phase is stupidly easy to stun when he goes for his big charge up attack, and he seems to really want to do it cause this last time he immediately did it again.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Was the drop rate on Raw Gems always this good? I've gotten three in the last fifteen minutes just starting a NG.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

Betty posted:

Dear fellow Murder Bros, I need help murdering bros. I really suck at it. Like I don't think I've killed a single host yet. This is my first time actually invading people out of all the souls games because why not. Every game I invade its pretty much always a 2v1 or 3v1 once the cops show up. One guy endlessly poking/stunlocking you to death with an estoc is bad enough but 2 or 3 of them just blows. I guess it doesn't help that I'm sort of gimmick invading people in full grave warden gear and using the warden curved swords, because seriously gently caress those things, and can't poke them back to death but gently caress me this is hard. Please halp.

Invasions in this game require a significant change in tactics and mindset from how you normally play. When you're outnumbered, you have to play smarter, not harder, and think about victory differently. If you're up against a host and 3 phantom friends camping a bonfire, then just remember this: you are the one who has allocated time to invading, but they are only trying to progress. If your presence is keeping them from progressing, then that's already a small victory. Eventually, they might get bored and venture forth, which is when you can punish them as they're dealing with enemies and environmental obstacles. If they pop a giant tree seed, well, things get even rougher, but they're still vulnerable to enemies so if you play it smart, you can still win that way. If you're part of Rosaria's fingers, it's also worthwhile to gun aggressively for any blue phantoms that appear. They drop double tongues, so if you can remove at least them from the equation, you get a reward even if the host survives. Mound Makers have a slightly easier time of things, since they can just pick off phantoms as they come and still fulfill their duty.

If it comes down to a straight on 3v1 fight with no hope of enemy intervention, then you pretty much need to be more skilled and outfitted with weapons that can crowd control easily. Gravity can always be a saving grace here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

Champion Gundyr is the only time in this entire game I've felt like Estus is too slow. There's just no time to chug in his second phase.

In the future if you just wanna win this fight and don't care about doing it "right", summon Swordmaster (like, that doofus NPC with the katana). It's absolutely worth doing once just to watch; I did it on my first try on a lark because I hadn't summoned an NPC for any other boss and the idea of summoning him was hilarious, and I beat him without taking damage. So I told a friend, and she backed off and Swordmaster apparently solo'ed him.

So Dancer isn't the only boss he can trivialize, and this is without the benefit of a bug (as far as I can tell).