Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I assume he means non floating, solid rotors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

Anyone else ever notice that cars with those stupid baby on board signs in the window are also some of the most aggressive, not-paying-attention, cut-you-off-and-don't-give-a-gently caress cars on the road?

If anything those signs should be required to only be mounted on the inside of the front windshield or on the dash, facing the dipshit driver to remind them that they need to drive more carefully because of their own child onboard?

Pretty sure it's to warn you that they haven't slept in several months and will drive accordingly.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

HotCanadianChick posted:

Anyone else ever notice that cars with those stupid baby on board signs in the window are also some of the most aggressive, not-paying-attention, cut-you-off-and-don't-give-a-gently caress cars on the road?

If anything those signs should be required to only be mounted on the inside of the front windshield or on the dash, facing the dipshit driver to remind them that they need to drive more carefully because of their own child onboard?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r01qkBQClKg

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

http://youtu.be/S3QTHn1R6nQ

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
God drat I need to get out of this state. We got teased a few weeks ago with 70 degree days and now there is literally snow on the ground. I'm gonna go ride around in mesh gear with my visor off out of spite.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
God drat, the Metzeler Tourace Next (180/55/17 size) wears out so drat fast. I'm used to my bike being pretty easy on tires, other touring bikes with the same size wheels are usually like 100+ lbs heavier, and I ride really easy. I can run a Pilot Road to 13-15k miles if I don't puncture it. But these Tourance Nexts are to like 4000 miles and are about to the wear bar in the center. I can't ride them to Anchorage in 7 weeks, will have to swap before the trip. They were supposed to make it up and swap there.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I thought I'd run to one of the local Suzuki dealers, about 25 minutes away, to get stuff to change the oil in my DRZ. I gave the guy the part numbers I needed, which seemed to confuse him because he was trying to give me a screw on filter in stead of the o-rings for the filter and cover. They also didn't have the o-rings in stock. I ordered it since I was there already, but drat, next time I'm just buying my stuff online. Would have been the same price with shipping and taken the same amount of time. I guess I need to call ahead for even basic oil change parts.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I called a local mountain motorsports for sprocket bolts today. They assured me they only had two in stock, and that was bolts, not kits (it was kits I bet), and that this wasn't a universal part. They were fools and lying and fortunately the woman at Cycle Gear who rides a WR250R knew her stuff so I got what I needed.

Long story short, just amazon prime that stuff. Death to local dealers.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
The one time I went to a Honda dealer without calling (ever really) they told me they couldn't look up parts after noon for some reason. I just needed some loving bolts. I still do actually lol.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Deeters posted:

I thought I'd run to one of the local Suzuki dealers, about 25 minutes away, to get stuff to change the oil in my DRZ. I gave the guy the part numbers I needed, which seemed to confuse him because he was trying to give me a screw on filter in stead of the o-rings for the filter and cover. They also didn't have the o-rings in stock. I ordered it since I was there already, but drat, next time I'm just buying my stuff online. Would have been the same price with shipping and taken the same amount of time. I guess I need to call ahead for even basic oil change parts.

It's cause the dealer never replaces those o-rings unless they're forced to.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
My local Yamaha dealer is so bad, when you order parts there they charge shipping it's not in stock.

They also only get parts in once a week on Wednesday, so if your order isn't placed by Friday you have to wait a week and a half.

They should just have a giant sign with the web address for the Yamaha OEM website and Amazon.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I've been to my local shop a few times. I needed "a battery" and they had "a battery" that fit. That's fine, literally anything 12V that fit in the battery compartment works for me. However, they have not had: bar ends, rear turn signals that were less than $100 for the pair, a full set of four spark plugs, headlight bulbs, or Shoei visors.

That last one confused me greatly. They have a huge Shoei banner out front. I'm getting a visor for an rf1100/qwest. They stock chrome, smoke, blue, silver, grey, but not clear. They have clear for the RF1200, but no pinlock. "That's the most common thing we order" should translate into "we should stock this" but apparently that's not how to run a motorcycle store.

You run a motorcycle store by selling motorcycles and ATVs and apparel, not accessories nor parts.

That said, their salesmen are badass, and if I'd had money in my account, they would absolutely have sold me an SR-400 that day.

Now the other "local shop" I go to is a local customization place, and they rock. They're closed Sundays 'cause that's flat-track and they've got a bunch of Harleys they abuse. Monday is for hangovers and repairing broken bits.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I buy basically everything online except for fluids and gear.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

I buy basically everything online except for fluids and gear.

I buy gear online and parts in person!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
My little local race shop beats online prices on tons of stuff, I dunno how he does it. Got a battery for 10 less than amazon and he beat the lowest price I found on two PR3s a while back by like 5. Not much...but if he's putting them on anyway then hell yeah.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah I dunno how they do that. Maybe Parts Unlimited gives dealers better prices? We don't have PU and our dealer prices on high end tires with our other distributors are routinely ABOVE what you can find any old internet tire site.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

When I worked at a dealer, the employee price for getting anything through Parts Unlimited was dealer cost + 10% and that was always under what I could find stuff online for. PU is cheap, and no surprise, a lot of their stuff is junk.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
My guy's distributor is Western Power Sports/Tucker Rocky and he typically does below internet prices for tires and poo poo.

But it might be the end of my relationship with that shop as they hosed up riveting a master link on last week and split the o ring. I'm not entirely confident he's gonna be cool about it either. drat.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Deeters posted:

When I worked at a dealer, the employee price for getting anything through Parts Unlimited was dealer cost + 10% and that was always under what I could find stuff online for. PU is cheap, and no surprise, a lot of their stuff is junk.

Yeah, the shop I work at gives me dealer price on everything ordered through PU. Do you mean the Parts Unlimited branded stuff is cheap and junk or most everything they distribute? I've had good experience with just about everything I've ordered.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

El Jebus posted:

Yeah, the shop I work at gives me dealer price on everything ordered through PU. Do you mean the Parts Unlimited branded stuff is cheap and junk or most everything they distribute? I've had good experience with just about everything I've ordered.

Having done PU, TR and WPS, PU was always the most expensive for our dealer cost but around the same quality for parts. PU/TR/WPS branded stuff was around the same quality as Bikemaster, Emgo, etc but cost slightly less due to it being their brand. The issue is that at the cheap parts level, you have lower build quality and a higher lemon rate.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Deeters posted:

This poo poo drives me crazy. My vstar was the same way, "oh we don't carry your oil filters in stock..." Good thing AutoZone does

Not motorcycle related: spent the weekend in San Francisco and holy crap this town wakes up late. I could own this town if I moved here and got up at 7 (I won't, this place is unlivable)

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 25, 2016

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I would be less upset about them not having my o-rings if one of the techs wasn't in the parking lot showing off his DRZ

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

astrollinthepork posted:

My guy's distributor is Western Power Sports/Tucker Rocky and he typically does below internet prices for tires and poo poo.

But it might be the end of my relationship with that shop as they hosed up riveting a master link on last week and split the o ring. I'm not entirely confident he's gonna be cool about it either. drat.
I think there's a decent chance he's literally paying customers to sell them tires to drum up good PR. Every time a customer brings us their own tires to mount, they usually give us the thing packed as it was shipped to them, with the invoice taped to it. I usually check our WPS/TR prices on that same tire and more than half the time the customer paid less than we would for the same tire. And usually the customer got free shipping too. AND about 99% of the time, the tire has a WPS or TR sticker on it, so it's literally our own distributors who are going out of their way to gently caress us and their other local dealers by selling bulk tires to online retailers at unmatchably low prices. Arai and other reputable makers take the internet price undercutting thing reasonably seriously and you'll have a hard time finding an Arai below MSRP, if it's genuinely new in box from a proper vendor. WPS/TR are worthless whores. This is a constant source of frustration for us as a small shop because it means we almost never sell any tire other than a bargain basement tire.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Maybe. Last time I was in there he had a shipment of michelins covering the floor. 15-20 tires. Of course there were some shinkos in that. Real hole in the wall place really.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Last I heard Michelin and Dunlop were looking at required flat pricing for everyone in order to be an authorized dealer. Then again, this was from my former manager, who believes everything he reads/hears.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I think there's a decent chance he's literally paying customers to sell them tires to drum up good PR. Every time a customer brings us their own tires to mount, they usually give us the thing packed as it was shipped to them, with the invoice taped to it. I usually check our WPS/TR prices on that same tire and more than half the time the customer paid less than we would for the same tire. And usually the customer got free shipping too. AND about 99% of the time, the tire has a WPS or TR sticker on it, so it's literally our own distributors who are going out of their way to gently caress us and their other local dealers by selling bulk tires to online retailers at unmatchably low prices. Arai and other reputable makers take the internet price undercutting thing reasonably seriously and you'll have a hard time finding an Arai below MSRP, if it's genuinely new in box from a proper vendor. WPS/TR are worthless whores. This is a constant source of frustration for us as a small shop because it means we almost never sell any tire other than a bargain basement tire.

Why don't you just buy them online, sell them at cost and make up for it on labor?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
loving China :argh:

Not exactly a bike thing, but yet another piece of poo poo electronic widget has died on me because of lovely QA, specifically the driver for my helmet lights. Nobody else even makes these things, they're in such low demand that it's not actually possible to get a well made one unless you're spending hundreds of pounds on a 250Vac unit for lighting dozens of metres of wire.

So now I'm like, do I fork out another :10bux: for my third driver in six months, or take to the Internet and figure out how to make my own out of components that don't suck and wire thicker than angel hair? (guess which bit broke both times. The loving wires is what. Thick wire isn't expensive! :bang:)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Of course the real reason I'm mad is because I knew as soon as I got it that this would happen, and how to stop it breaking (liberal application of hot glue to destress the base of the power cable and stop the wires snapping from fatigue), but I put it off for like three months and well, here we are :suicide:

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Zebra crossings (uk crossing where traffic is expected to stop if a persons waiting to cross, no lights(Mostly)) have been my bane for the last week. Why do hipsters think they're a great place to hang out by, looking like they're about to cross, talking to their sunhat wearing friends, then give me a weird look when i stop and stare at them, expecting them to cross.

Oh and then of course today it was a couple of schoolkids who where actually crossing, seemingly pissing off the audi behind me that layed on her horn because jeez lets hang off the rear end of this motorcyclist past a school. gently caress you I'm not running over kids so you can get to your massage quicker, lady.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
People standing at crosswalks with no intention of crossing the road drive me a little bonkers too. I take the philosophy that I need to stop for an occupied crosswalk, which means put your foot in it and I'll stop. Stand next to it staring down traffic and I won't even slow down.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Nobody uses crosswalks here, they just go from walking in the road to darting across it at random

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

And never take the shortest distance across either

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

builds character posted:

Why don't you just buy them online, sell them at cost and make up for it on labor?
The range of bikes we see is vast, far wider than most shops I think, so it's almost impossible to stock tires that will sell in a reasonable amount of time. There are only like 4 sizes of tire we regularly stock and they're not expensive ones.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

clutchpuck posted:

People standing at crosswalks with no intention of crossing the road drive me a little bonkers too. I take the philosophy that I need to stop for an occupied crosswalk, which means put your foot in it and I'll stop. Stand next to it staring down traffic and I won't even slow down.

Obviously you've never had someone doing a swift march along the pavement giving no indication they're thinking of using the crossing and then as soon as they come level just pivot 90 degrees and stride into the road without looking up.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Yeah, I've had to swerve to avoid a few of those. It's like gently caress we know we have to stop, but I'm not doing an emergency stop because you couldn't be assed waiting an extra couple of seconds.

I think 90% of pedestrians in London don't even bother looking before crossing anymore.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The range of bikes we see is vast, far wider than most shops I think, so it's almost impossible to stock tires that will sell in a reasonable amount of time. There are only like 4 sizes of tire we regularly stock and they're not expensive ones.

Fair enough. How about just offering to take delivery at the shop and do the same thing, more or less. "We don't have it but we know from experience that [online retailer] is cheapest and you can use that computer in the corner to order to us and they'll be here tomorrow and we'll install for $100." Or you order and they just pay you cash.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
My local shop started getting exceptionally lovely about that.

At first I would take my wheels to Cycle Gear, where it would cost me about $25/wheel if I bought the tires there, with the downside that it takes them 24 hours. I did that a few times until they took about two days and charged me $80.

So I started going to the local BMW dealer. They charge $90 for the pair but at least it gets done in 45 mins. So I can look at fancy motorcycles while I wait. They broke one of my TPMS sensors once and mounted the tire anyway, telling me to come back in when they had the parts to fix the sensor and they'd remount. Which was totally cool - it got me back on the road quicker.

Well, the last time I went in they charged me $115, stating that next time they'd charge me $150 if I didn't buy tires from them. This is the same shop that wanted $380 for an Angel GT rear a year prior. I asked them about their prices lately which the service manager stated were "competitive". When I tried to explain how bad they were a year ago, he insisted that everyone pads the numbers somewhere. Either I was gonna get gouged on tires, or I was gonna get gouged on installation.

gently caress that. For $150/crack I'll just buy my own machine.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My friends and I pitched in on a machine. My share of it pays for itself the first time I use it.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
One of the guys I know from a local riding group taught a local auto tire shop how to do a motorcycle tire change on their machine and now if we bring our wheels in off the bike they'll do either $20 on the spot if you're lucky and they're not busy, with the right manager in, or if they're busy charge their normal ~$40 rate and take an hour or two or whenever they get around to it in the afternoon.

Revzilla plus this shop makes things so easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

kuffs posted:

My local shop started getting exceptionally lovely about that.

At first I would take my wheels to Cycle Gear, where it would cost me about $25/wheel if I bought the tires there, with the downside that it takes them 24 hours. I did that a few times until they took about two days and charged me $80.

So I started going to the local BMW dealer. They charge $90 for the pair but at least it gets done in 45 mins. So I can look at fancy motorcycles while I wait. They broke one of my TPMS sensors once and mounted the tire anyway, telling me to come back in when they had the parts to fix the sensor and they'd remount. Which was totally cool - it got me back on the road quicker.

Well, the last time I went in they charged me $115, stating that next time they'd charge me $150 if I didn't buy tires from them. This is the same shop that wanted $380 for an Angel GT rear a year prior. I asked them about their prices lately which the service manager stated were "competitive". When I tried to explain how bad they were a year ago, he insisted that everyone pads the numbers somewhere. Either I was gonna get gouged on tires, or I was gonna get gouged on installation.

gently caress that. For $150/crack I'll just buy my own machine.
380 sounds high for any tire but there are some which are way up there over 300. I dunno what's with those shops continually upping prices on you for standard poo poo like that, that sounds like crap to me. We wouldn't do that.

But I'd like to point out that shops don't just pay $20 for their tires from a wholesaler and then pull a retail price out of their rear end. The distributors/manufacturers set the prices and then the shop gets them at a variable cost below retail. When you buy online you're usually getting poo poo that's undercutting msrp by huge amounts. Internet tire prices are not "the real price," they're a stupid cheap bargain made possible by various things going on between the middlemen and big time online vendors.