Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Drone posted:

Chart is fantastic but is this a ratio or are those in units (imperial, US standard, metric)...?

just a ratio. You can run a quick math check on any row and they all come back to the 1:.75:.6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Drone posted:

Chart is fantastic but is this a ratio or are those in units (imperial, US standard, metric)...?

It doesn't matter. It's a ratio essentially, units are irrelevant as long as they are the same.

Edit: whoops missed the next page.

Double edit: You also need to worry about water though. If you use 4lbs DME for instance, instead of 5 lbs LME, that difference is water. You need to add in 16oz of water to your recipe or you will end up short that much beer and higher in gravity.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 26, 2016

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

ChickenArise posted:

Is chronical/concical a UK/US thing? I googled both of them and they look like the same thing.

I don't know if people are confused and using the terms wrong or what, but the "Chronical" fermenter is a brand name of a specific conical fermenter made by SS Brewtech. Conical fermenters are just any fermenter that has a cone shaped bottom segment.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Jhet posted:

I keep an eye on this thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527487

It seems to be a place to go for freelance stuff, but it's a thread that leads into SA Mart anyway once you have someone you want to work with.

That would've been awesome to do if I'd had the time. Or made the time. Our brewclub needs a strong man in its life to help get things moving :newlol:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

rockcity posted:

Double edit: You also need to worry about water though. If you use 4lbs DME for instance, instead of 5 lbs LME, that difference is water. You need to add in 16oz of water to your recipe or you will end up short that much beer and higher in gravity.

So I should just assume as a rule of thumb that for every 1lb of LME I switch out with DME, I'll have to add 16 oz of water?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Drone posted:

So I should just assume as a rule of thumb that for every 1lb of LME I switch out with DME, I'll have to add 16 oz of water?

You just add the weight difference between whatever you add in wate, i.e. 16 oz if you add 4 lbs DME instead of 5 lbs LME, 32 oz if you add 8 lbs DME instead of 10 lbs LME.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Glottis posted:

I don't know if people are confused and using the terms wrong or what, but the "Chronical" fermenter is a brand name of a specific conical fermenter made by SS Brewtech. Conical fermenters are just any fermenter that has a cone shaped bottom segment.

TIL

Thank you, I've been confused for a while.

I've never measured water in my kettle when brewing with any kind of extract. I just fill to around where I know I'll get 6ish gallons after boil-off.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ChickenArise posted:

I've never measured water in my kettle when brewing with any kind of extract. I just fill to around where I know I'll get 6ish gallons after boil-off.

There's nothing "wrong" with this, it's just not as repeatable obviously.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I feel like I can taste the difference when I've used LME vs DME (with very little experimentation), so I wouldn't be repeating a recipe anyway :D (plus I don't really "repeat" a ton of brews since I'm mostly making IPAs with whatever hops feel good at the time)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ChickenArise posted:

I feel like I can taste the difference when I've used LME vs DME

Which tastes better? I've only got very limited experience with extract brewing (my only two completed beers so far have been BIAB).

I've got my Yorkshire Bitter from a kit fermenting now for another 5 days or so before bottling, hopefully that turns out alright. I'm leery, but we'll see. In the meantime I've been playing with recipes in Beersmith to come up with my next one. I think this time I'm going to do a much smaller batch (a 13 liter batch, down from my normal 19-23 liter batches that I've done before). This is going to be much more sustainable on my apartment stovetop than a "full" batch would be, and would hopefully eliminate any real need for me to do a partial boil or whatever. Part of my fear is that I'm watering this poo poo down too much.

Anyway, I picked up Brewing Classic Styles on my Kindle since it was stupidly highly rated and Palmer is a co-author, and it looks pretty good. From what I can tell, the recipes follow a kindof "keep it simple, stupid" mentality, and they break down each individual style by skill level, beginner/intermediate/advanced. I've decided my next beer will probably be an American Pale Again again (my first ever brew was a BIAB Sierra Nevada clone that would have been fantastic were it not for the fact that I watered down the partial boil far too much). I've adapted the recipe in that book from LME to DME, and changed a bit of the profile to match local availability of stuff here in Germany -- for some reason, Cascade is difficult to come by, but I can hopefully pick some up, as I don't want to use Centennial for literally everything:

quote:

American Pale Ale (Extract)
13 liter batch

1.87kg Light DME
0.20kg Amber DME
0.12kg Wheat DME
0.34kg Victory Malt (steeping)

35g Centennial 9% @ 60
20g Centennial 9% @ 10
20g Cascade 6% @ 10
20g Centennial 9% @ 0
20g Cascade 6% @ 0

1 pkg Safale US-05

I'm still trying to figure out Beersmith, but I think I got this right. I started by copying the recipe from the book into Beersmith word-for-word, and using the default batch size published there of 21 liters. Then I tweaked it a bit, switching out the Munich LME that it originally called for with Amber DME, and replacing some of the hops to make the order simpler (originally it called for Horizon 13% AA as the bittering hop). After that was done, I adjusted the amounts of the hops to bring the IBU up to better match the style, as it was kindof on the low end. Then I hit Brewsmith's "Scale Recipe" button and changed the target batch size to 13 liters. This brought my IBUs waaaay down, so I scaled up the hops to compensate. I'm kinda worried that I hosed up when I did that though, as this recipe now calls for more total hops than the original recipe did for a 21 liter batch.

At any rate as far as I can tell from my Beersmith setup, this should result in something pretty much directly to-style for an APA. It'll be around 5.5%ish ABV, just shy of 40 IBU's, and with a nice dark golden color (which I don't care a ton about to be honest, I just want something that tastes good and is fun to drink).

Drone fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 26, 2016

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Drone posted:

Which tastes better? I've only got very limited experience with extract brewing (my only two completed beers so far have been BIAB).

I prefer DME but I'm entirely willing to be told that it's because of freshness or that it's all in my head.

As for that recipe, assuming all of the IBUs and stuff works out (I haven't scaled many recipes and my beersmith is tweaked for my process), I think it looks fine. I'm way lazier with my hop additions, personally. I like to get as much flavor as possible, so for an APA (5gal) it's all late additions (5-10min + 15min 'stand'/whirlpool). Anything that needs more bitterness gets a 60min of something cheap and neutral and then some late additions.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Draft experts, I've got a question about using a stout faucet with regularly carbonated beer. I took the restrictor plates out but this thing opens wide and pours way too fast. Is it possible to balance it with a long enough tap line?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
You should be able to balance it with a longer line, yes. What length and diameter (ID) of line do you have feeding it now? The restriction (or lack of) from the shank and faucet should be minor in comparison.

Also, what's your serving pressure?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
I scored 6lbs of Pale LME the other day, and I have ~4oz of Simcoe hops in the freezer. I haven't done an extract pale in 5+ years. Anyone have a tried and true recipe for me?

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
First batch of beer fermenting! I ordered the $99 starter kit from Northern Brewer and got a free big mouth bubbler. Had to cold crash in the tub since I'm brewing like a dirty peasant. Made this White House Honey Ale, but it looks a bit darker than the picture. I guess we'll see what happens in two weeks!

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/recipe-kits/extract-kits/extract-ale-kits/northern-brewer-s-white-house-honey-ale-beer-kit

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bishyaler posted:

First batch of beer fermenting! I ordered the $99 starter kit from Northern Brewer and got a free big mouth bubbler. Had to cold crash in the tub since I'm brewing like a dirty peasant. Made this White House Honey Ale, but it looks a bit darker than the picture. I guess we'll see what happens in two weeks!

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/recipe-kits/extract-kits/extract-ale-kits/northern-brewer-s-white-house-honey-ale-beer-kit

Beer always looks darker in the fermenter. It'll look completely different in a pint glass.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
my all-grain pilsners/wheat ales always look like grey soup from mash through the boil, it's awesome how they come out golden and amberish

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My temperature woes continue. Brewed a saison this weekend and threw it in the fermenter at around 74F. Put it in my cool brew bag with a frozen OJ bottle because I've read that the internal temperatures while fermenting can be 10F higher or more. When I checked the next day it was like 58F in the fermenter bag! Is that to cold for a saison? Am I going to lose all of those fruity flavors with it being so cold? It's back up now since I've taken out the OJ container, back to around 70F.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Cold likely won't hurt the yeast, it'll just make them sleepy. Once the temps get back into usable range, they'll wake up and go to work. Extended times at low temps might cause some issues that I can't really think of right now, but I wouldn't sweat it.

Also, in my opinion, some of the recommendations on yeast temps are inaccurate/over-exaggerated.

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 28, 2016

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

robotsinmyhead posted:

Cold likely won't hurt the yeast, it'll just make them sleepy. Once the temps get back into usable range, they'll wake up and go to work. Extended times at low temps might cause some issues that I can't really think of right now, but I wouldn't sweat it.

Also, in my opinion, some of the recommendations on yeast temps are inaccurate/over-exaggerated.

I've experienced this. I thought my yeast crapped out at 50% attenuation, but they were just cold. I moved the brew bucket closer to the heater and voila, 65% attenuation, and a finished porter.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Almost all yeasts do way better with a step-up as they finish. Run them for the first week at the recommended temp, then finish the beer for a few days in a warmer environment. I started doing that recently and the changes were noticeable.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

robotsinmyhead posted:

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I've experienced this. I thought my yeast crapped out at 50% attenuation, but they were just cold. I moved the brew bucket closer to the heater and voila, 65% attenuation, and a finished porter.

Thanks for the help. Every time I do a batch I learn something new, or get too ambitious and make crazy mistakes and then learn from those!

Up next for me is a wort chiller. I'm getting tired of buying 5 bags of ice and waiting forever for my wort to cool. I'll probably mess that up somehow too at least the first time.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
So morebeer.com is having a sale on some of its ingredients. None are actual recipe kits that I'm used to, so I'm trying to put together my own recipe. I saw the saison yeast available so maybe a saison? Does this recipe make sense? What adjustments would you suggest? I'm not super familiar with the flavors of all these choices of grains and hops yet.

All Grain, 5 Gallons, Saison

9 lbs Great Western California Select 2-Row Malt
1 lb Briess Carapils Malt
1.5 lbs Wild Flower Honey
1.5 oz British Kent Goldings Pellet Hops (60 min)
1 oz Centennial Pellet Hops (15 min)
1 oz Amarillo Pellet Hops (2 min)
0.25 oz Orange Zest
0.13 oz Fresh Grated Ginger

Make a starter with White Labs - Belgian Saison II Ale Yeast

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

yamdankee posted:

So morebeer.com is having a sale on some of its ingredients. None are actual recipe kits that I'm used to, so I'm trying to put together my own recipe. I saw the saison yeast available so maybe a saison? Does this recipe make sense? What adjustments would you suggest? I'm not super familiar with the flavors of all these choices of grains and hops yet.

0.25 oz Orange Zest

You could add some grains of paradise to the spice list.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

yamdankee posted:

0.25 oz Orange Zest

If it's possible to use Continental Pilsner instead of the 2-row, I'd recommend it. The 2-row will turn out fine, but I get such an amazing flavor when I use the Pils instead. You're also going to be pretty busy if you do honey and spices. I try to not cover up the character of the yeast with too many other things. That one should be spicy and a bit fruity, so if you want to learn what that yeast does, just strike the spices and leave it ferment high 70s to low 80s. You could probably push 90, but it's not that Saison Dupont yeast which is 565. This is another one from Dupont supposedly, but it's supposed to finish attenuating quicker.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

yamdankee posted:

0.25 oz Orange Zest

Why so much carapils? Classic saisons like Saison Dupont are just 100% pilsner malt.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
First beer, first blowout. Can't complain too much, it's bubbling like crazy 12 hours after pitching the yeast.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Bishyaler posted:

First beer, first blowout. Can't complain too much, it's bubbling like crazy 12 hours after pitching the yeast.

Keep in mind, you will pretty much always have blowoff if you fill the carboy up that close to the top.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Honestly curious question - I know everyone has their opinions, but what's the deal with saisons? I've been drinking craft beer for years and it's easily in my bottom 3 of "normal" styles, if I ranked them, and avoid them full-stop unless we're just tasting beer a club meeting.

Is there a particular reason you enjoy it? I realize it's a great beer to make in the summer due to fermenting conditions.

What's a decent mass-market Saison I could try to remind myself/change my mind about it?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Yeah they're not my favorite either but I do enjoy spicy and fruity beers once in a while. I'm sure you've had Allagash's saison. Ommegang Hennepin, Tank 7. Ones I can name off the top of my head I guess.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I really like saisons, I make them somewhat often actually. I like the dryness to them, it's great in warm weather, which here in Orlando, is drat near year round. There is a subtlety to them, much in the way of a good clean lager. It's all about yeast character really and if you don't like that yeast character, you're probably not going to like saisons. Out of curiosity, do you like other lighter Belgian beers?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Saisons in the current American craft beer scene can be all sorts of things, too. It's an old beer style that people have been riffing on forever.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

rockcity posted:

I really like saisons, I make them somewhat often actually. I like the dryness to them, it's great in warm weather, which here in Orlando, is drat near year round. There is a subtlety to them, much in the way of a good clean lager. It's all about yeast character really and if you don't like that yeast character, you're probably not going to like saisons. Out of curiosity, do you like other lighter Belgian beers?

Not really. A Belgian golden now and then, and I accidentally made a Belgian-style IPA last year that was pretty amazing, but it's definitely that yeast 'type' that I don't like. Almost specifically that too, but I quite like funky/weird farmhouse beers and greatly prefer dry beers overall.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

robotsinmyhead posted:

Not really. A Belgian golden now and then, and I accidentally made a Belgian-style IPA last year that was pretty amazing, but it's definitely that yeast 'type' that I don't like. Almost specifically that too, but I quite like funky/weird farmhouse beers and greatly prefer dry beers overall.

My guess is you just don't like the yeast profile. To me it comes off like lemon pepper, which I'm a big fan of, so they tend to appeal to me.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

robotsinmyhead posted:

Try pairing 3711 together with some Brett. It can give some great funkiness with great dryness. If you haven't tried Vieille Provision Saison Dupont, you should because that's what people tend to think of when saison is mentioned. I got a bottle from Brasserie de Blaugies of their saison d'epeautre. Well worth the find if you can.

Personally, I like the flavors of the yeast. It's what makes me go 'mmmhmmm'. They're great when you put them in the lawnmower beer category for something different, but I honestly think most saison brewers try to do too much. The one I made recently is just Pilsner and Rye with hops at 60 to bitter and an ounce of Streisselspalt at 5min for aroma/flavor. It goes from about 1.060 to 1.006 in about a week. It's flowery and peppery and it just makes me feel warm and comfortable.

On the other hand, I'm not the biggest fan of many German lagers and I tend to shy away from 1056 because it can be too clean. It's one of those things where you either like it or not. Granted, I also pitch 1028-London Ale at about 74F just so I can get more fruitiness out of it (even in London Porters). So when it comes to yeast, I love that character. I don't have the tolerance for some IPAs though.

The good news is that no one who makes a Saison and admires the Belgian philosophy of brewing is going to tell you that you have to love them. It's beer as art. Not everyone is going to like all art. Drink and brew what you love.

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d
A lot of mass market saisons are mediocre and there is a ton of variation to the style. That said, the yeast flavor is pretty distinctive, so you may just not like it.

However, it is one of my favorite styles to brew and drink.

Saison dupont is the classic, try to get the 4-pack of brown bottles because the green 750s are often skunky.

If you can find it, prairie artisan ales makes a few very good ones.

Logsdon does as well, if you're West coast.

If you want to spend more, the collaboration with hill farmstead and Anchorage, "arctic saison" is pretty much the best thing ever and seems to be widely available.

Try to avoid the ones with spices or crazy stuff in them, these ones are often not so great.

I love the style because it can be both simple and very open ended. It allows you to play with a few ingredients without clobbering everything with strong flavors. It's also dry and refreshing, which has gotta be worth something.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Der Penguingott posted:

I love the style because it can be both simple and very open ended. It allows you to play with a few ingredients without clobbering everything with strong flavors. It's also dry and refreshing, which has gotta be worth something.

This is something I appreciate about the style in general, and makes me lament the fact that I don't like it. Around here, in the Chicagoland area, Pipeworks is a really innovative (for better and worse) brewery and was up until recently one of my favorites, but they literally make like 40-50% saison varieties, to the point that if you find a retailer that sells their beer, it's hard to find a beer from them that ISN'T a saison that is for sale.

It's an interesting style and the yeast's resilience makes it awesome, but I really just can't get into it as a style, on the whole.

I feel like one of my deficiencies as a brewer is experimenting with other types of yeast because I dislike the saison-type flavors that as put off by a fairly large number of blends, even ones that aren't "saison" proper.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Im very off and on about belgian styles. I like ones with more subdued "belgian" qualities in which i find trappist dark ales to be the best.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Gratzer (smoked wheat ale)

A: whos made one?

B: is it supposed to smell and taste like a hot dog pre-carbing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Gratzer (smoked wheat ale)

A: whos made one?

B: is it supposed to smell and taste like a hot dog pre-carbing

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/123834/

I had this one about a year/year and a half ago. I found it to be pretty boring. Thin and slightly tart, smoky with some nuttiness, but overall, like a wheat beer with a bit of smoked malt snuck in. I find wheat-heavy beers to smell kinda pissy especially in the presence of lacto (unadulterated Goses and Beliners), like this particular version was. Add in the smokiness and it might come off like stale hotdog water.

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 29, 2016