Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Hey cool I saved Onion bro from the well, but since I had already been to the prison before the kitchen I guess he never registered as "there". I talked to patches endlessly after sending Greirat To Irithyl and never was given the other option for him to save Greirat.

RIP young thief. You got hosed because of a kinda convoluted trigger line.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Cicadalek posted:

Forgive me if this has been discussed before because this thread moves very quickly, but I have an IMPORTANT LORE QUESTION:

Why is this dog pregnant?

It's under the bridge in Road of Sacrifices, where you find Morne's Ring and a miracle tome. There are two dogs there and one of them has a distinct growth on its belly. You can see it there, trying to eat my helmet. I can't remember any other dog with a gut like that.

Here's a better picture. Unfortunately as a pyromancer I do not have the tools for an autopsy.

What does this all mean? Can undead dogs gently caress?

It's pregnant...with maggots. They look similar to the ones on Aldrich's butt (this is a spoiler pic of Aldrich fool). Aldrich, Devourer of Dogs.

e: As an aside... :barf:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dazzling Addar posted:

Dealing with the Grave Wardens is mostly about learning which of their attacks give them super armor. They can be stunlocked pretty easily by faster weapons, up until the point where they wind up one of their uninterruptable moves. I don't remember off hand which these are, but I think the ones where they sort of dodge to the side and twirl around can't be stopped except with like a really heavy weapon. I think. I'd need to double check to be sure.

A strong shield is also a good solution. Regardless of how you feel about them (personally, coming off of Bloodborne, I tend to favor more mobility because that's what I'm used to) 100% physical reduction shields are super good in this game. A lot of the more annoying enemies, like dogs and rogues, just sort of bounce off of you and leave themselves very open to counterattacks. Even bosses can be blocked effectively with some upgrades in stability in a strong shield like the Stone Parma or the Shield of Want.

Yeah, it's that hyperarmor spin move that gets me. I'm really bad at predicting it. Right now I'm just employing the time-honored "run right past" strategy but I'll have to git gud against then eventually.

Maybe I'll try a strong shield. Ever since I got the Gotthard Twinswords I never want to not be dual wielding.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Don't use a glitched summon to beat dancer early, just do what I did and spend ten agonizing repetitive hours filled with death and suffering gitting gud

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JetsGuy posted:

Hey cool I saved Onion bro from the well, but since I had already been to the prison before the kitchen I guess he never registered as "there". I talked to patches endlessly after sending Greirat To Irithyl and never was given the other option for him to save Greirat.

RIP young thief. You got hosed because of a kinda convoluted trigger line.

I hosed up Greirat's quest in a very similar way.

He will survive NG+. I like that dude.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Harrow posted:

Champion Gundyr is the only time in this entire game I've felt like Estus is too slow. There's just no time to chug in his second phase.

On the bright side, the Gotthard Twinswords just eat up his HP even at only +8. I'm mostly frustrated because my first attempt was the closest I've gotten to beating him--he had like three hits left--but I got trapped in a corner and combo'd into oblivion. On subsequent tries I can get him to his second phase and then he just stomps me flat.

I just started fighting him and I don't think I can help myself from laughing at him flinging me into the air and kicking me

Betty
Apr 14, 2008

Dazzling Addar posted:

Invasions in this game require a significant change in tactics and mindset from how you normally play. When you're outnumbered, you have to play smarter, not harder, and think about victory differently. If you're up against a host and 3 phantom friends camping a bonfire, then just remember this: you are the one who has allocated time to invading, but they are only trying to progress. If your presence is keeping them from progressing, then that's already a small victory. Eventually, they might get bored and venture forth, which is when you can punish them as they're dealing with enemies and environmental obstacles. If they pop a giant tree seed, well, things get even rougher, but they're still vulnerable to enemies so if you play it smart, you can still win that way. If you're part of Rosaria's fingers, it's also worthwhile to gun aggressively for any blue phantoms that appear. They drop double tongues, so if you can remove at least them from the equation, you get a reward even if the host survives. Mound Makers have a slightly easier time of things, since they can just pick off phantoms as they come and still fulfill their duty.

If it comes down to a straight on 3v1 fight with no hope of enemy intervention, then you pretty much need to be more skilled and outfitted with weapons that can crowd control easily. Gravity can always be a saving grace here.

Thanks, this makes a lot of sense. I think I need to learn more about hit boxes, when to roll, when to attack. I think the warden swords are making it super difficult too considering the poo poo damage they do and even if I get enough hits to bleed them sometimes it just doesn't even do the damage because who knows dark souls pvp. Also what the gently caress it the point of the kick flip with curved swords instead of just the guard break kick. People can just shield me all day long with no way to punish them.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Harrow posted:

I hosed up Greirat's quest in a very similar way.

He will survive NG+. I like that dude.

What really annoyed me is that Patches kept talking about how he should really return the favor of saving his life and I'm like bitch I sent him please let me send you to help and nothing. :(

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't use a glitched summon to beat dancer early, just do what I did and spend ten agonizing repetitive hours filled with death and suffering gitting gud

as someone who pvps a lot I'm already doing this

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Harrow posted:

Champion Gundyr is the only time in this entire game I've felt like Estus is too slow. There's just no time to chug in his second phase.

On the bright side, the Gotthard Twinswords just eat up his HP even at only +8. I'm mostly frustrated because my first attempt was the closest I've gotten to beating him--he had like three hits left--but I got trapped in a corner and combo'd into oblivion. On subsequent tries I can get him to his second phase and then he just stomps me flat.

Champion is weird. He's like the only boss in the series where it's safer to stand in front of him than behind him, because he doesn't kick when you're in front of him. My strat was to back off, stand far away, roll forwards through his first combo hit, poke once, roll backwards through the second hit, and back off again. Weirdly the gap between hits in his combos are often larger than the gaps between combos.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Anyone have any advice for a level 120 pvp pyromacer build?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Dazzling Addar posted:

Invasions in this game require a significant change in tactics and mindset from how you normally play. When you're outnumbered, you have to play smarter, not harder, and think about victory differently. If you're up against a host and 3 phantom friends camping a bonfire, then just remember this: you are the one who has allocated time to invading, but they are only trying to progress. If your presence is keeping them from progressing, then that's already a small victory. Eventually, they might get bored and venture forth, which is when you can punish them as they're dealing with enemies and environmental obstacles. If they pop a giant tree seed, well, things get even rougher, but they're still vulnerable to enemies so if you play it smart, you can still win that way. If you're part of Rosaria's fingers, it's also worthwhile to gun aggressively for any blue phantoms that appear. They drop double tongues, so if you can remove at least them from the equation, you get a reward even if the host survives. Mound Makers have a slightly easier time of things, since they can just pick off phantoms as they come and still fulfill their duty.

If it comes down to a straight on 3v1 fight with no hope of enemy intervention, then you pretty much need to be more skilled and outfitted with weapons that can crowd control easily. Gravity can always be a saving grace here.

As a followup to this: The Obscuring Ring is really really good. It will enable all sorts of hit-and run tactics, or just sniping at opportune times. You actually have to get fairly close before you're visible. Course, you'll need 10 pale tongues in the first place to get it!

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Filthy Hans posted:

In addition to what everyone else said:

lizard ahead (emote gesture points behind left tower)

That's not a pickle pee...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its cool getting 25k souls from one invasion at level 34 because the sunbro you killed was a passworded Havel knight from endgame :regd09:

My invasions are so bad today. I thought as soon as I got the barbed sword things would be peachy but it hasn't helped much.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I just want to put it out there, that in TWO play-throughs I was trading Homeward Bones to the Crow and managed to hit back step instead of pick up, falling off the rafter and dying. When that happens, the item despawns, and you can't trade for it again. I guess I was never meant to be a true Sun Bro.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 28, 2016

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Lemme tell you as a sunbro how annoying it is when I am trying to help others beat bosses and the host just decides that they don't need no stinkin estus.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm just coming from Bloodborne and I think I read somewhere that you can sort of put together a Bloodborne-ish build with certain stats and items? Is that 1) true? 2) viable? 3) fun? Or should I stick to my traditional high-str heavy-armor guy

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Champion is weird. He's like the only boss in the series where it's safer to stand in front of him than behind him, because he doesn't kick when you're in front of him. My strat was to back off, stand far away, roll forwards through his first combo hit, poke once, roll backwards through the second hit, and back off again. Weirdly the gap between hits in his combos are often larger than the gaps between combos.

beat him on my 4th try rolling and circling into his weapon hand

I don't think he got me with a single kick when I started doing that

super cool boss btw

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 376 days!
so, you can transpose the swords of the two princes together into a single weapon. i'll admit i wasn't expecting to see that

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there a shortcut anywhere in the untended graves? seems like that boss run up would have been real bad

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers

Harrow posted:

You can parry champ gundy, even when he goes into turbo gundy mode

I dunno if that should be spoilered or not but whatever, Champ gundy is a fun boss fight, and his halberd owns.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

acksplode posted:

I'm just coming from Bloodborne and I think I read somewhere that you can sort of put together a Bloodborne-ish build with certain stats and items? Is that 1) true? 2) viable? 3) fun? Or should I stick to my traditional high-str heavy-armor guy

Eh, there's one ring that returns health on successive attacks and another that heals on kills... But the amount of healing is pretty small compared to BB's regain. Not nearly enough to instantly return health lost from a hit. So no, you can't quite play like BB.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

acksplode posted:

If you mean going shieldless and dodging a ton, then yeah that works just fine. Stay under 70% equip load, two-hand your favourite weapon and put on the carthus bloodring when you find it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Contra Duck posted:

If you mean going shieldless and dodging a ton, then yeah that works just fine. Stay under 70% equip load, two-hand your favourite weapon and put on the carthus bloodring when you find it.

Do this even if you aren't intentionally doing a Bloodborne build

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

VulgarandStupid posted:

I just want to put it out there, that in TWO play-throughs I was trading Homeward Bones to the Crow and managed to hit back step instead of pick up, falling off the rafter and dying. When that happens, the item despawns, and you can't trade for it again. I guess I was never meant to be a true Sun Bro.

use the nest on top of the roof instead of the one in the rafters

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

Eh, there's one ring that returns health on successive attacks and another that heals on kills... But the amount of healing is pretty small compared to BB's regain. Not nearly enough to instantly return health lost from a hit. So no, you can't quite play like BB.

That's a bummer, but I kinda sucked at rallying anyway. So:

Contra Duck posted:

That's cool to hear! It sounds like it's a viable style with any melee build. I can now defeat the first boss, my anxiety from the character creation screen

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Does hollowing reset on the next playthrough or do I have to save up 200k souls?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

An invader showed up at the first bonfire at High Wall of Lothric while I was phantoming and one combo from the Uchi +0 killed him dead. No wonder it kept annihilating me at low levels.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the uchi is no loving joke at low levels

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

plehsistential posted:

I dunno if that should be spoilered or not but whatever, Champ gundy is a fun boss fight, and his halberd owns.

Unfortunately for most builds and people, the Prisoner's Chain is more practical. Which sucks, because from what I've seen his halberd is indeed fun.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Manatee Cannon posted:

there a shortcut anywhere in the untended graves? seems like that boss run up would have been real bad

Just run past the enemies. Even if you kill them all it's only like 4.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Manatee Cannon posted:

enh it's longish but you can run/roll past all the enemies so it's not too bad. Like on the worse end of DS3 boss runs, which are pretty good, but not bad at all in comparison to the series in total (Seathe :barf: Logarius :whitewater: Freyja :nutshot:)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So what exactly is the glitch you have to perform to get the swordmaster to kill the dancer for you?

I wanna get the red tearstone and hornet ring early to try some cheesy nonsense with stealthy dagger backstabs. No idea how I'm gonna kill Gundyr though unless I master the parry.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 28, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Does hollowing reset on the next playthrough or do I have to save up 200k souls?

no it carries over. You can get all five of yoel's levels right away if you want, no need to build up hollowing

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Uhhhh wow I'm glad I just soloed the Aldrich fight because holy poo poo the bullshit goes to 11 when trying to coop it. I got him first go solo, he's hard but not awful that way.

Coop holy poo poo.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Internet Kraken posted:

So what exactly is the glitch you have to perform to get the swordmaster to kill the dancer for you?

kill him in firelink, summon him for vordt but take him to the dancer instead where he will proceed to solo her just stay the gently caress away from the two of em

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

it's like, kill naked katana man, don't kill Vordt, summon katana man at Vordt but go take him to Dancer, let him die, quit out as he's dying, reload, resummon, relax

I think

you can also summon katana man for the Champ. Which makes me wonder if you could do the same trick on that boss? Does it work on other npc phantoms or only katanamana?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Mazerunner posted:

it's like, kill naked katana man, don't kill Vordt, summon katana man at Vordt but go take him to Dancer, let him die, quit out as he's dying, reload, resummon, relax

I think

woops, forgot the glitch part, im pretty sure it's that

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vince MechMahon posted:

Does anyone have that fig of the mimic chasing the guy like in a Scooby Doo episode?

I had the link saved, thanks whoever it was that originally posted this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RatHat posted:

Just run past the enemies. Even if you kill them all it's only like 4.

I cleared the area and then killed him on my first try. that'not really the point, and there are definitely a lot more enemies than 4 if you're killing everything between the bonfire and the boss