Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I'm only a chapter in but this seems pretty good. The translation not being 1000% on point all the time is something I'm just kinda learning to live with whenever I'm reading something that ain't HELCK.

Seishun Otome Banchou!

I was thinking the art (or well, mostly the heroine's weird faces) was kinda familiar and turns out the main character in this is the daughter of the couple in one of the mangaka's previous works, Junai Tokkou Taichou!

Took me a while to realise since her art style's gotten a lot cleaner and neater looking compared to before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Wow drat. Good thing the scans are of a high enough quality that he doesn't have to worry about that at least.

Yeah the difference to teams working from paper books is pretty big

Is what a raw page scan looks like, washed in either grey or yellow and full of small defects in the paper stock and ink printing. The amount of work scanlators go through to get clean looking white pages can be a ton and even goes down to somebody who might need to redraw parts of the lineart for clarity.

Some teams do way too much of the redrawing and post processing to get the page clean and it looks ugly though, i think. Rello doesn't have to worry about any of this.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

RareAcumen posted:

Translations are just the words right? Because that's all I'm talking about. I read HELCK and I don't have a lot of 'Oh this could be worded better' or 'That sounds kinda off' throughout it.

There's a lot of clunkiness in sentences that go across multiple bubbles that comes because Rello feels like he has to translate on a bubble by bubble basis, instead of breaking or restructuring sentences in ways that sound natural to English speakers. Sometimes you see this come up in single bubbles too, like (from the most recent chapter) "From the start, Helck takes no joy in fighting." This is also due to directly following the word order of the original sentence. Taking care with this stuff does a lot to make dialogue sound natural, instead of just functional. Admittedly it's pretty tricky with manga because of the aforementioned speech bubble format, which is often spaced/sized so that certain parts of sentences are emphasized more than others--often not the parts you would want if you structured the sentence so that it reads naturally in English! Again, making good decisions about that is pretty important and surprisingly tricky.

There's also issues with character voice, mostly with regards to word choice. Rello takes more care with this than a lot of fan translators but it's still far from perfect. Especially the characters who are supposed to sound eloquent (Raphaed comes to mind) tend to lapse into casual/colloquial speech from time to time, or at other times go too far and speak like they're choosing words blindly from a thesaurus. For example, in a recent chapter, Raphaed said that he had come to "evict [Helck] from the front lines." Why not drive him from them? Is Raphaed landlord of Front Line Apartments? This is way less noticeable with characters like Vamirio or Helck himself because they speak bluntly and simply, so Rello probably isn't compelled to make them sound "smarter."

Those two are my major gripes and I'll stop there. Sorry if I sound nitpicky; I'm a translator myself. Rello does pretty well for a speed fan translator but there's a lot of stuff he's missing as well.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Horimiya's a super :3: and funny shoujo series

Actually, I'm not sure if I'd call it shoujo... Just slice of life + romance?

krnhotwings fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 29, 2016

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
shounen romance, I think

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

shounen romance, I think

yeah it's in a shonen magazine iirc

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njNGDHbX0ss

Stretching the limits of (give or take)

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

OneDeadman posted:

This is your reminder that Sakamoto's Bizzarro World Twin Handa-Kun is good.

...so is Angel Densetsu his inverse universe version?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
lmao

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Renai Kaidan Sayoko-san

It's a slow burn sometimes but man, when it's good, it's good.

I also enjoy how it's the girl for once who's the doofy awkward shut-in dork between the two.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Inu Yashiki

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Mitsuboshi Colors

Three girls form a club to protect their town and solve mysteries, which translates to just playing games and annoying the local cop.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Shiba Occhan

Hatsukoi Zombie

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

D-d-d-double post!

All Rounder Meguru

Catkin
Apr 28, 2006

it is all a dream- a grotesque and foolish dream.
The Ancient Magus' Bride

PTSD girl and wolf-skulled-goat-horned half-man? I'm sold

Catkin fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 14, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Meguru is v good though it suffers a lot from being really loving hard to follow in fights, even when there's multiple panels to show a single move.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ancient magus bride is phenomenal and translated by our very own AnonSpore

Hatsukoi zombie immediately made me think of ME ME ME with the objectification angle and also a bit of TWGOK

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Someone talk about Hatsukoi zombie in here because I'm not sure if it'll actually manage to stay good throughout the entire thing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Someone talk about Hatsukoi zombie in here because I'm not sure if it'll actually manage to stay good throughout the entire thing.

He hasn't kissed his childhood friend who wasn't his first love yet. That's all that really matters.

Also he looks way better when his hair is wet and not a bad afro.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 14, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

chumbler posted:

He hasn't kissed his childhood friend who wasn't his first love yet. That's all that really matters.

Also he looks way better when his hair is wet and not a bad afro.

Is that all that it's about? I only looked at the cover, to be honest.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Is that all that it's about? I only looked at the cover, to be honest.

It's about a dude and his childhood friend who have the power to see "first love zombies" - the psychic manifestations of a man's first crush, which behave differently depending on the situation (e.g.: still in love with that person, not in love with that person anymore, jealous, etc.). They have no clue where they got their power from and it's often very annoying, so the series is about them helping men with their love woes while at the same time trying to figure what the gently caress's up with this poo poo and how to get rid of it.

It's not deep by any meaning of the word, but it's fun :shobon:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Mikl posted:

It's about a dude and his childhood friend who have the power to see "first love zombies" - the psychic manifestations of a man's first crush, which behave differently depending on the situation (e.g.: still in love with that person, not in love with that person anymore, jealous, etc.). They have no clue where they got their power from and it's often very annoying, so the series is about them helping men with their love woes while at the same time trying to figure what the gently caress's up with this poo poo and how to get rid of it.

Seems like the zombies are mostly an excuse to draw chicks in fetish outfits.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mikl posted:

Hmmm. I guess I'll have to give it a shot.

Pavlov posted:

This isn't giving me a lot of confidence though. I get enough of that from Food Wars.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Pavlov posted:

That too. But it's mostly played for laugh, since most of the times the MC goes "GAH I did NOT need to see that, my poor eyes!"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Which is why I said it gives me a ME ME ME vibe, because the main girl is skeeved out at the mc's imagined version of her, and how many of the love zombie versions of most girls in the series have way more pronounced figures than their counterparts in reality. I think it's got more of a message than just "hey lookit dem titties", but we'll have to see where it goes from here. A bunch of new chapters have come out recently, so apparently there's a fair amount of untranslated chapters left.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Which is why I said it gives me a ME ME ME vibe, because the main girl is skeeved out at the mc's imagined version of her, and how many of the love zombie versions of most girls in the series have way more pronounced figures than their counterparts in reality. I think it's got more of a message than just "hey lookit dem titties", but we'll have to see where it goes from here. A bunch of new chapters have come out recently, so apparently there's a fair amount of untranslated chapters left.

If the main girl wins rather than volleyball girl I'm gonna be mad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Same, so we're both gonna be mad

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Add me to the mad pile if that happens, fellas

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I don't read the manga but I'm never opposed to joining good mad pile now and then.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Featured in this thread befre, probably multiple times, but since it's the topic of conversation again in the Seinen thread...

Dorohedoro

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Is Dorohedoro over yet? I remember it was a volume or two away from being done last time I read it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I feel like Dorohedoro has been a volume or two away from completion for several years now.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The author extended it because they couldn't fit everything in yet.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it really should've ended by now. this dragged out ending has already impacted my enjoyment of the series as a whole.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

dogsicle posted:

it really should've ended by now. this dragged out ending has already impacted my enjoyment of the series as a whole.
I did prefer the series when it was lizard men loving things up and dark humorous slice of life type stuff set in the magic world, the main plot is kind of incomprehensible and whatever

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Galaxy Express 999

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
so I take it Ancient Magus Bride is worth looking past the whole creepy slave bride of a goat being...aspect...?
not trying to judge, just asking

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

TheFallenEvincar posted:

so I take it Ancient Magus Bride is worth looking past the whole creepy slave bride of a goat being...aspect...?

Yeah, it's real good. Give it a shot.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

TheFallenEvincar posted:

That really comes into play in the first chapter. One of the first things Elias says to Chise is (paraphrased) "your free to leave and do whatever you want if you wish so, but if you stay I'll make you my apprentice".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san

• Locked thread