Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

T.G. Xarbala posted:

A reminder that solahma infantry duty is basically the Clans' version of Logan's Run.

They take their experienced but otherwise unremarkable veteran pilots and forcibly retire them from service as mechwarriors, then give them rifles, a helmet, and send them off to get roasted by flamers, inferno SRMs, plasma rifles, or chopped to pieces by mech-mounted machine guns and small pulse lasers.

I thought she was talking about the Screamer.

She was! 20 former allies get flambéd and it doesn't even register.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Picard Day posted:

She was! 20 former allies get flambéd and it doesn't even register.

Oh when you said "it wasn't the mech that did it" I thought you meant "because it was the plasma rifle that did it."

And in retrospect I have no idea how I parsed it that way.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
To be fair a mech that screams like an eagle, has outright physically destructive acceleration, and literal wings is basically the jade falcon's fever dream. Slap a coat of paint on it, give it a new name, and they could call the drat thing a totem mech.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mcjomar posted:

I'm debating running to 1038 so I can keep help murdering the aircraft.
However I'm a little leery of the local infantry to that area - I'll be more than 3 hexes from the nearest squad. Is this enough?

Does anyone want to call themselves squad leader? Definitely not me, but if someone's up on the rules then put your hand up imo

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Never get within 3 hexes of the big brown jump infantry. Try not to get within 6 unless you're the Komodo moving in for the kill.
lovely green infantry are reasonably safe at 3 hexes and perfectly safe at 5+
Green guys squad 1 is broken and panicking. They also have so few guys left that they'll likely only do one point of damage if they try to shoot someone.
The other brown guys maybe don't get within 4 unless you know what you're doing. Don't want to give them short range attacks but they're not going to tear you to pieces or anything unless you get right up next to them.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 28, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dis astranagant posted:

Never get within 3 hexes of the big brown jump infantry. Try not to get within 6 unless you're the Komodo moving in for the kill.
lovely green infantry are reasonably safe at 3 hexes and perfectly safe at 5+
Green guys squad 1 is broken and panicking. They also have so few guys left that they'll likely only do one point of damage if they try to shoot someone.
The other brown guys maybe don't get within 4 unless you know what you're doing. Don't want to give them short range attacks but they're not going to tear you to pieces or anything unless you get right up next to them.

ty that's great advice

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Okay cool, so my move will still work for this turn and I get to shoot more downed spaceplanes.
Will we have the warcrimes pilots shooting the local green guys here to distract them from shooting at us?

E: also I have a rough idea on rules, but I don't know much about things like infantry. I can handle vehicles and mechs, and sort of understand aerotech (not really), but after that I'm a bit fuzzy so I'm not really going to be great for much else.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Green guys are the lowest priority targets. If I'm reading it right they average about 5 damage per attack at minuscule range and aren't very good shots. Getting jumped by the jump infantry fails the primary objective. The other infantry are annoying little land mines but maybe not worth going out of your way to deal with.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Jumpbearforce squad 3 is a little close for comfort in my opinion.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Green guys are the lowest priority targets. If I'm reading it right they average about 5 damage per attack at minuscule range and aren't very good shots. Getting jumped by the jump infantry fails the primary objective. The other infantry are annoying little land mines but maybe not worth going out of your way to deal with.

We might want to have one of the decent AI mechs move north-ish next turn to handle platoons 2 and 4, then. They won't be in threat range for 3-4 turns yet, but better not to let them get close. I can drop some frag on them, but the tree cover's in the way right now and I'm not 100% certain I can finish them off before they get in under my minimum ranges. (But yes, punk 3 first, it's the more immediate threat.)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Remember that armor does not protect against flame weaponry like the plasma (unless it is fireproof salamanders then you are sol on the plasma there buddy.) so the lancelot should take potshots at infantry with it over immobile spaceplanes.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tempest_56 posted:

Sally plan: Keep running towards the high ground. Hit 2828 this turn, and I can walk to the level 4 terrain next. I think from 2828 I can get tone on the Urbie - bad BTH, but tossing a couple rounds at it might be worthwhile. It's either that or put some smoke into the area around 1020, but I'm not sure we need that just yet. I'm weakened because the OTT is the only thing we've got with a TAG (that I see) and half my loadout is semi-guided. Thoughts?

Continuing north up the hill is putting yourself a bit far from the rest of the group for comfort considering you're a slow assault with no real ability to deal with anything that gets inside min LRM range :ohdear:
Maybe turn west and stick with the Flashman? High ground doesn't really do very much for you except exposing yourself.

SIGSEGV posted:

Jumpbearforce squad 3 is a little close for comfort in my opinion.

I think Axe-man in the Komodo is taking care of squad 2 and 3 this turn. El Spamo in the Lancelot can probably get a good shot on 3 or 4 platoon in the south near the largest plane parking area, although platoon 4 does have woods cover now which makes that harder.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Took me a second to realize you were talking about regular or marine infantry squad 2, jumpbearforce 2 is still further to the north.

Probably better to primary JBF2 in case the dice are fickle.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Continuing north up the hill is putting yourself a bit far from the rest of the group for comfort considering you're a slow assault with no real ability to deal with anything that gets inside min LRM range :ohdear:
Maybe turn west and stick with the Flashman? High ground doesn't really do very much for you except exposing yourself.

That's a fair point. My objective's basically to get some clear LOS on those mechs - I need range to operate, and those trees are really restricting my fire lanes right now. My target path should get me a clear line between the two sets of woods to hit 'em as they come in, but you're right, I'll be kinda strung out. If things get hot, though, I can tack south-west and use the trees for cover to reconnect without undue risk - there's enough to block LOS. Worst case I'm a speedbump - triple LRM20s are something they can't just ignore. The more time they spend coming up a wooded hill, the more time everybody else has to trash the planes. At least that's my logic.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
That plasma rifle :supaburn:

That worked out well, for one round of ammo there's one less infantry unit running around. Next turn I see a spot where I can get within 4 hexes of the jump infantry if I run to 1238. Komodo, if you run up to 1735 or thereabouts then you'll be within good striking distance with the AP Gauss as well. We'll have the jump infantry hemmed in and in short-to-medium range of both our guns if they do anything other than retreat. Hell, they'll have a hard time making it out of medium range of your AP gauss regardless.
I might not be able to plug an aircraft with the large lasers, but I guess it's hardly a loss to have to put all my guns into a threatening unit.

I do see where I could also head south now to get at the foot infantry, but my thinking here is to focus fire on the jumpers while they're vulnerable to being double-teamed at minimum safe distance and not threatening anyone's space. The turn after that I plan on swinging around to 0740 to hit the aircraft and the much less mobile infantry units there. I want to stay mobile so I don't really want to stop and smell the charred infantry.

edit: Question, can I kick adjacent infantry or do I have to be in the same hex as them?

El Spamo fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 28, 2016

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda hoping that as this battle goes on we'll see the storm getting stronger and some flying debris taking out some infantry. Flying trees in 200+km/h winds will definitely cause someone to have a bad day!

Loving this as always PTN, thanks for giving 5 years of amazing stompy robot action!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

El Spamo posted:

That worked out well, for one round of ammo there's one less infantry unit running around. Next turn I see a spot where I can get within 4 hexes of the jump infantry if I run to 1238. Komodo, if you run up to 1735 or thereabouts then you'll be within good striking distance with the AP Gauss as well. We'll have the jump infantry hemmed in and in short-to-medium range of both our guns if they do anything other than retreat. Hell, they'll have a hard time making it out of medium range of your AP gauss regardless.
I might not be able to plug an aircraft with the large lasers, but I guess it's hardly a loss to have to put all my guns into a threatening unit.

I do see where I could also head south now to get at the foot infantry, but my thinking here is to focus fire on the jumpers while they're vulnerable to being double-teamed at minimum safe distance and not threatening anyone's space. The turn after that I plan on swinging around to 0740 to hit the aircraft and the much less mobile infantry units there. I want to stay mobile so I don't really want to stop and smell the charred infantry.

edit: Question, can I kick adjacent infantry or do I have to be in the same hex as them?

You don't want to be that close to infantry because that's when they swap the peashooters for sticky satchel charges.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Do not end your turn within move range of intact infantry.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

AtomikKrab posted:

Remember that armor does not protect against flame weaponry like the plasma (unless it is fireproof salamanders then you are sol on the plasma there buddy.) so the lancelot should take potshots at infantry with it over immobile spaceplanes.

Unless PTN is using custom rules here, infantry armor divisors work just fine vs flame weaponry. The reason it did 20 damage is because damage is doubled vs infantry in the open. It would in fact be impossible for a plasma rifle to only do 20 damage to an infantry platoon in the open if it was ignoring its armor, what you see there is a 2d6 roll of 10, plus 10 base damage for 20, halved for armor to 10, then doubled for being in the open for 20.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 28, 2016

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Can they throw those one hex or more, or do they have to be in the same hex as me to apply them?

I mean, I've got the speed to precisely dictate my position on the jump infantry's sphere of influence and I want to get as close as possible to ensure a kill. They can move 3 hexes and I'll be 4 hexes away. Plus they have that bearhunter which shoots a hell of a pea.

Hm. Run is +2, short range is +0. Walk is +1(?), medium range is +2. Taking it slow would likely net a +3, running could get me in short range and a +2. +4 if they bugger off.
I should be so lucky as to walk and have them enter short range, but I doubt I can rely on them willingly walking into an easy kill zone.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Voyager I posted:

Or elementals if/when they show up

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

I'll work on getting orders in today, is there a terrain legend? I assume we're on normal terrain unless there's a tree icon, and the rest is just high designation?

edit: and concrete*

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Voyager I posted:

Worth quoting again.

If you get the urge to do so, re-read the last scenario. It's even more dangerous now because the infantry might prioritize leg attacks to hamper your chances of escaping, once the mission swings that way.

Edit: if the infantry unit is mostly decimated, I suppose you can take the risk to pass through if they're blocking your way. The success of them landing swarm/leg attacks is dependent on the number of troops remaining, IIRC?

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 28, 2016

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

El Spamo posted:

Can they throw those one hex or more, or do they have to be in the same hex as me to apply them?

I mean, I've got the speed to precisely dictate my position on the jump infantry's sphere of influence and I want to get as close as possible to ensure a kill. They can move 3 hexes and I'll be 4 hexes away. Plus they have that bearhunter which shoots a hell of a pea.

Hm. Run is +2, short range is +0. Walk is +1(?), medium range is +2. Taking it slow would likely net a +3, running could get me in short range and a +2. +4 if they bugger off.
I should be so lucky as to walk and have them enter short range, but I doubt I can rely on them willingly walking into an easy kill zone.

They need to be in the same hex than you but remember that they always move last and so can just haul it into your hex if you are too close. Minimum safe distance from jump troopers is therefore 4 hexes away.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Pooncha posted:

Edit: if the infantry unit is mostly decimated, I suppose you can take the risk to pass through if they're blocking your way. The success of them landing swarm/leg attacks is dependent on the number of troops remaining, IIRC?

This is correct, but leg attacks aren't penalized that heavily and will always do 4 damage with a guaranteed TAC. Even a broken squad that's lost ACE status will try that if you try running through their hex.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is correct, but leg attacks aren't penalized that heavily and will always do 4 damage with a guaranteed TAC. Even a broken squad that's lost ACE status will try that if you try running through their hex.

+7 isn't much of a penalty?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

El Spamo posted:

1242 might not be terrible- The Space Marine squad 4 down in the trees doesn't have the mobility of the jump troopers, but it still has most of the damage output, so toasting them would be nice. It's really really likely the Komodo will finish off jump platoon 3 with 5 AP gauss shots.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

dis astranagant posted:

+7 isn't much of a penalty?

Doesn't mean they won't try it, and they can still get lucky.

The Clans are also adaptive. Broken squads will merge together and rejoin the fight given the opportunity. They're spaced out enough that's not really a concern for anything but the jump troops.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
Planning to walk the Vulture to 1541 and shoot the Visigoth in 941. That hex seems safe from both the jump infantry and the space marines.

EDIT: Will be shooting at the Vandals instead, they have much less armor and the bounty is the same as the Visigoths.

LegendairyBovine fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 28, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just keep smothering them in superheated lumps of plastic and stop worrying about it.

garland336
Feb 26, 2013
General rule of thumb: Listen to your local GM *cough* deity *cough* - especially when they're flatly telling you 'yes I will try to murder you if you're dumb enough to do X or Y

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Oh yes, the path I'm taking around the edge of the runway doesn't intersect with the broken squad and ends 4 hexes away from the jump infantry. Those foot infantry units can move 2 hexes as well, that's something to keep in mind.

However.

Axe-man, are you comfortable taking on the jump infantry yourself? If so, I can turn south now and engage the Mauser-packing foot infantry. Two mechs on one unit may be overkill but on the other hand there's no such things as overkill.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Screamer
- Jumps to hex 1637, facing not specified! Original facing kept!

Um?

My PM which actually included a clarification about this very point because #megamek pointed it out when I asked them about my orders... posted:

Move to 1637 (jumping), land to face hex 1538

Not that it makes any difference since the jump troops are out of arc, but I specifically went back to fix that.

I can jump to 1728 and set myself up to snipe the oncoming lance (and take a potshot at the aircraft in the 0422 region), or continue zipping around down south trashing planes. The danger of that option is that it means I have further to travel to get to a good sniping spot when the enemy mechs do arrive. I need antiinfantry cover for either option though, as 1728 puts my back to pretty much everyone.

What happens if I DFA into an infantry hex? I suspect it's a bad idea, but 0942 looks tempting and I want to do something worthy of fanart in this here flying murder machine.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Loxbourne posted:

What happens if I DFA into an infantry hex? I suspect it's a bad idea, but 0942 looks tempting and I want to do something worthy of fanart in this here flying murder machine.

You end up with less legs than you started with.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.
Discussed orders with the #Megamek crew. Alternate orders for the Dragoon II have been submitted to get it moving and contributing, should the need arise. Normally I would pipe up in the thread too, but I have a slammed weekend with extra work shifts and would rather not accidentally miss the hard deadline.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Loxbourne posted:

Um?

Not that it makes any difference since the jump troops are out of arc, but I specifically went back to fix that.

And I somehow managed to miss your clarification. I thought it was a question only and forgot about the rest before the update.

Man, I'm making a ton of dumb errors this time around. I'll step up my game for Turn 2.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

Discussed orders with the #Megamek crew. Alternate orders for the Dragoon II have been submitted to get it moving and contributing, should the need arise. Normally I would pipe up in the thread too, but I have a slammed weekend with extra work shifts and would rather not accidentally miss the hard deadline.

Is there an IRC!?

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014

Pladdicus posted:

Is there an IRC!?

#megamek on synirc.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
We need someone with an active probe to check out that hill before we all start moving north. Those forests could hide all kinds of nasty poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

I don't think you can DFA infantry, just stomp them if they're in the same hex.

In other words, please don't, you don't want to take a leg crit and spend most of the scenario falling over.

• Locked thread