Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A bit of a brag on a deal I scored:

There's a 17 hour stopover at Addis Ababa for a quick city tour, and the local flights aren't included:

I do have a question though, what's generally the cheapest way to go SIN->HKG->BKK? I always wanted to go to HK and this would take care of my Singapore transit visa. But so far everything seemed much more expensive than a return flight with AirAsia from KUL, and I tried the Matrix but it doesn't seem to include any low-cost airlines so everything is at least $500. No exact dates yet but end of May for around 3 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

Mackieman posted:

Yeah, that's the going price. IF you were a few weeks early you could do the TATL for $550 or so but that's getting into peak summer so $800 or so to DUB is about right. And yeah, book the trip to LIS separately, RyanAir and a bunch of other LCCs can get you there.

Thanks, now I have a follow-up question...hopefully someone familiar with DUB airport can answer...

So I've booked the trip into Dublin from the US (Aer Lingus), arriving into DUB at 5:15am on a Wednesday.

I want to connect to Lisbon (not on the same itinerary), and my ideal flight option is the 6:50am direct DUB>LIS on Ryanair. Everything else has layovers, adding a shitload of flight time.

Should I be nervous about 1.5 hours being enough time to connect? I'm going to carry on my baggage, so that won't be an issue. I read some older info that you need to clear immigration and then go through security again for a connecting flight out of another terminal, is this still the case?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

How did you figure out that itinerary? It doesn't strike me as something you would just stumble across while searching normally.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

For Singapore, check Scoot, Tiger, and JetStar.

This popped up in my search too, what do you airfare nerds think?

https://en.hellowings.com/
"Find your ideal price first, then choose the date. HelloWings mix and match budget airlines (LCC) to customize your ..."

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

peanut posted:

"Find your ideal price first, then choose the date. HelloWings mix and match budget airlines (LCC) to customize your ..."

This is a cool idea, but it doesn't seem to work quite right for me. There are a LOT of dates I can't select? Also if I uncheck the "2 Stops+" button it tells me that it can find no flights? I can pretty much guarantee flights from London to San Francisco can be had with < 2 stops and < 20 hours.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Not if it's lcc only. Shorter routes, and possibly only 2-3 flights a week.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

For Singapore, check Scoot, Tiger, and JetStar.

Thanks, JetStar seems to be the cheapest out of Singapore, but only on one day of the month :) Still this would probably make way more sense than flying a return trip from KUL and having to somehow get back to Bangkok for my flight home.

Saladman posted:

How did you figure out that itinerary? It doesn't strike me as something you would just stumble across while searching normally.
Some guy on a local forum came across a combination of trips that resulted in this low cost and I dicked around with it until I got something I was interested in without blowing up the cost. Not sure how he found it initially, maybe it was some sort of sale that I didn't see or an error on their part.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

real dilemma posted:

Thanks, now I have a follow-up question...hopefully someone familiar with DUB airport can answer...

So I've booked the trip into Dublin from the US (Aer Lingus), arriving into DUB at 5:15am on a Wednesday.

I want to connect to Lisbon (not on the same itinerary), and my ideal flight option is the 6:50am direct DUB>LIS on Ryanair. Everything else has layovers, adding a shitload of flight time.

Should I be nervous about 1.5 hours being enough time to connect? I'm going to carry on my baggage, so that won't be an issue. I read some older info that you need to clear immigration and then go through security again for a connecting flight out of another terminal, is this still the case?

Yeah, I don't think they do intra-terminal transit so you'll have to go through immigration and then move on. It's probably doable, but very much questionable considering you'll be on an unprotected connection.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'll need to travel to Frankfurt on rather short notice and luckily found this flight:

Unfortunately I can't find where to buy it. Czech Airlines have a corresponding flight but it's available in business only and seems to cost twice as much anyway ( this is under $100). Any ideas who might sell it to me?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ITA's data might be outdated. Most websites have it for 3500 crowns, in Economy, with Czech Airlines.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

mobby_6kl posted:

A bit of a brag on a deal I scored:

There's a 17 hour stopover at Addis Ababa for a quick city tour, and the local flights aren't included:

I do have a question though, what's generally the cheapest way to go SIN->HKG->BKK? I always wanted to go to HK and this would take care of my Singapore transit visa. But so far everything seemed much more expensive than a return flight with AirAsia from KUL, and I tried the Matrix but it doesn't seem to include any low-cost airlines so everything is at least $500. No exact dates yet but end of May for around 3 days.

Great find! I'd keep checking that booking (do not call, check online) to make sure it doesn't get cancelled. Looks like a mistake fare / you unwittingly booked a fuel dump or something.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

I'm looking to fly one-way from London to Budapest around the end of July or start of August. The cheapest I can find is Wizz Air on the 3rd of August, for a total of 72 GBP. Does anyone have any other thoughts? I'm not used to booking flights in Europe, so there might be something I've overlooked.

Things that are flexible: departure airport, day (could fly earlier but not too much later), time (as long as I can get to the airport)
Things that aren't: checked baggage

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

The Schwa posted:

I'm looking to fly one-way from London to Budapest around the end of July or start of August. The cheapest I can find is Wizz Air on the 3rd of August, for a total of 72 GBP. Does anyone have any other thoughts? I'm not used to booking flights in Europe, so there might be something I've overlooked.

Things that are flexible: departure airport, day (could fly earlier but not too much later), time (as long as I can get to the airport)
Things that aren't: checked baggage

$72USD/49GBP on Wizz Air , 2-Aug LTN-BUD non-stop. Doesn't get much lower than that.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Mackieman posted:

$72USD/49GBP on Wizz Air , 2-Aug LTN-BUD non-stop. Doesn't get much lower than that.

That's the one! Cheers. I don't think it's unreasonable at all, just thought I'd check.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Great find! I'd keep checking that booking (do not call, check online) to make sure it doesn't get cancelled. Looks like a mistake fare / you unwittingly booked a fuel dump or something.
Yeah, probably. It's pretty ridiculous otherwise, each individual destination is normally about twice as much, let alone both together. Just checked for fun, it's like >€3k :lol:

I had the Dubai->Phuket flight changed to an earlier one by Emirates so there's now no chance to get out to the city, but everything seems to be solidly confirmed for now, leaving next week. On the upside, my colleague has a friend who's a flight attendant with them and does this flight frequently :quagmire:

Jeoh posted:

ITA's data might be outdated. Most websites have it for 3500 crowns, in Economy, with Czech Airlines.
Weird, it's still there. I also had trouble finding the actual airline itself. Seems like it's Travel Service who operate under SmartWings, but didn't have that flight either. 3.5k would be fine but I forgot to mention that I need to be their early morning. Anyway, I managed to find an overnight train that gets there at like 4am :-(

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Just want to make sure I'm not missing out on cheaper flights tucked away somewhere.

I need to fly out of Korea (ICN, GMP, and PUS are usually the cheapest for int'l flights, no preference for any of them) no earlier than August 4th and arrive in Orlando (MCO) on the 4th or 5th. Those dates are p inflexible due to days off work and a wedding I'll attend.

My flight back to Korea has to be out of Washington-area airports (DCA and IAD preferred, but BWI acceptable if significantly cheaper) and the dates are slightly more flexible, but I'm thinking the 13th or 14th of the same month.

Cheapest I could find through ITA/Google Flights was through Air Canada at $2043.56 USD. ITA displayed an itinerary at ~$1,500 USD but it came up quite a bit more when I tried to book it.

Anyway, just making sure I'm not missing a deal somewhere before I commit.

edit: finding LCCs with schedules that play nice with transpacific flights is drat near impossible.

Mr. Belpit fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 30, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Hey, I know this isn't exactly about finding cheap airfare but since I posted in here about it before:

I just noticed that my layover in JFK to catch a flight to IST is 1 hr, 40 mins, and I need to get from terminal 5 to terminal 1. Will this be a problem?

I've definitely caught shorter layovers, but I don't know if I need to do anything special since I'm flying out of the country. (I've flown international, but it was a while ago and not with a layover like this).

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
I don't know from first-hand experience, but I've heard that journey takes 40min-1hr if your bags aren't transferred to your next flight automatically. 1hr40m should be doable if you can maintain a reasonable hustle and there're no unexpected problems with the airport shuttle (you'll def need to free airport shuttle).

I don't think your connecting flight being international should be a problem that can't be dealt with in 30-40 spare minutes, but don't quote me on that.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Hey, I know this isn't exactly about finding cheap airfare but since I posted in here about it before:

I just noticed that my layover in JFK to catch a flight to IST is 1 hr, 40 mins, and I need to get from terminal 5 to terminal 1. Will this be a problem?

I've definitely caught shorter layovers, but I don't know if I need to do anything special since I'm flying out of the country. (I've flown international, but it was a while ago and not with a layover like this).

You'll be fine as long as you're not flying a ticket that's not connected. If your flight is coming in late at jfk you'll be met at the gate by airline staff and get expedited through.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Well. While both Expedia and Emirates (who charged me) show all the flights fine and confirmed, I went to check Ethiopian to see if there are any seat options and... it's a bit wonky :v:

Not gonna call them, that's for sure. The only thing I have at stake now is a hostel reservation for the first 2 nights and massive blue balls so I'm just going to bet it'll work fine with my Emirates tickets.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Mr. Belpit posted:

I don't know from first-hand experience, but I've heard that journey takes 40min-1hr if your bags aren't transferred to your next flight automatically. 1hr40m should be doable if you can maintain a reasonable hustle and there're no unexpected problems with the airport shuttle (you'll def need to free airport shuttle).

I don't think your connecting flight being international should be a problem that can't be dealt with in 30-40 spare minutes, but don't quote me on that.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

You'll be fine as long as you're not flying a ticket that's not connected. If your flight is coming in late at jfk you'll be met at the gate by airline staff and get expedited through.

Thanks all. I bought everything via Turkish, though the carrier for the first two legs (long beach, CA [can't remember the code for it] -> ORD, ORD-> JFK) is Jetblue. I think it'll be fine and I'm just being paranoid, but I hate dealing with bad airport poo poo when it happens.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah it's a codeshare flight, you'll be fine. You'll probably have to grab your bags at JFK and transfer them over to a different conveyor belt, but maybe not! It's been awhile since I've done a domestic connector prior to an international departure. The joys of living in a hub city.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I could've paid like 400 or 500 more dollars for a direct flight, but considering I'm about to be a grad student, I think I'll save that 500 bucks for booze.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I could've paid like 400 or 500 more dollars for a direct flight, but considering I'm about to be a grad student, I think I'll save that 500 bucks for booze.

A sound plan.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Yeah it's a codeshare flight, you'll be fine. You'll probably have to grab your bags at JFK and transfer them over to a different conveyor belt, but maybe not! It's been awhile since I've done a domestic connector prior to an international departure. The joys of living in a hub city.

Typically you only need to pick up your bags during a connection if you're clearing customs, in my experience, but it being a codeshare could muck that up. Check when you drop off your bags in the first city.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

PT6A posted:

Typically you only need to pick up your bags during a connection if you're clearing customs, in my experience, but it being a codeshare could muck that up. Check when you drop off your bags in the first city.

There is a difference when transiting America. We, unlike drat near every other country on earth, don't allow transit. Every passenger must pass through immigration, pick up bags, go through customs, re-check, and re-clear security for connecting flights, even if that is an international to international connection. Most other countries, all you need to do is re-clear security and you're good to go.

America. gently caress yeah. :911: :rolleyes:

Edit: I failed to read the earlier posts in enough detail. I'd be very interested to understand exactly what Rodenthar has booked because there are no airlines that fly LGB-ORD-JFK; only four airlines serve LGB: JetBlue (B6), Southwest (WN), American (AA), and Delta (DL). Of those, none of them have non-stop flights to ORD and only B6 has any significant lift out of LGB since it's a mini-hub for them. If one assumes that he's flying B6 to JFK non-stop, he would need to claim and recheck bags at JFK even though it's a domestic to international connection because B6 doesn't interline with anyone, much less Turkish (TK).

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 2, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Mackieman posted:

There is a difference when transiting America. We, unlike drat near every other country on earth, don't allow transit. Every passenger must pass through immigration, pick up bags, go through customs, re-check, and re-clear security for connecting flights, even if that is an international to international connection. Most other countries, all you need to do is re-clear security and you're good to go.

America. gently caress yeah. :911: :rolleyes:

Edit: I failed to read the earlier posts in enough detail. I'd be very interested to understand exactly what Rodenthar has booked because there are no airlines that fly LGB-ORD-JFK; only four airlines serve LGB: JetBlue (B6), Southwest (WN), American (AA), and Delta (DL). Of those, none of them have non-stop flights to ORD and only B6 has any significant lift out of LGB since it's a mini-hub for them. If one assumes that he's flying B6 to JFK non-stop, he would need to claim and recheck bags at JFK even though it's a domestic to international connection because B6 doesn't interline with anyone, much less Turkish (TK).

Just realized I'm NOT going to ORD, I'm going to BOS.

Can probably put the flight numbers back in if that helps.
Herp derp that's the confusion right there. (I've been working like 50-75 hour weeks recently, so my brain hasn't been functioning that well)

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 2, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I can't make a guarantee one way or the other, but it seems like JetBlue interlines with Turkish:

http://www.jetblue.com/airline-partners/

So I would say you probably don't have to pick up your bags in New York. You will be able to find out when you check in, in any event.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Thanks for the help, all. I'll be sure to report back with future info!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

PT6A posted:

I can't make a guarantee one way or the other, but it seems like JetBlue interlines with Turkish:

http://www.jetblue.com/airline-partners/

So I would say you probably don't have to pick up your bags in New York. You will be able to find out when you check in, in any event.

JetBlue has an eTicket interline agreement but when I pull their data from the GDS via ExpertFlyer, TK is not listed as a baggage interline partner. My guess is you'll have to claim and recheck at JFK.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I just checked in for a long-haul flight tonight and I got a bulkhead seat. How likely is it that I might be asked to move if there's travellers with infants on board and they need the cot or whatever? I normally would've taken a different seat but the only seats left were middle seats.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Doubtful. Those people would (or should) have already made arrangements for their baby so they could set up that cradle or whatever.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Mackieman posted:

JetBlue has an eTicket interline agreement but when I pull their data from the GDS via ExpertFlyer, TK is not listed as a baggage interline partner. My guess is you'll have to claim and recheck at JFK.

Thanks for the info! Since I'm flying out of long beach I'm not super concerned, I should have plenty of time to ask about it.

One thing I am concerned about is that I keep hearing how this is going to be a terrible travel season - I'm hoping i don't get stuck at a line in JFK when I need to get on a plane :/

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Nah. As mentioned there's an interline between JB and TK so they -should- know your itinerary and if you run into any delays.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Any tips on travel to LHR from LAX in late October? I'm watching it on Hopper but it's still 1200 bucks round trip.

I'm flexible on dates and such.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

skooma512 posted:

Any tips on travel to LHR from LAX in late October? I'm watching it on Hopper but it's still 1200 bucks round trip.

I'm flexible on dates and such.

How long do you want to be in LA?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think I am going to book RT lax - lhr on ANZ and give the sky couch thing a try

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Isn't sky couch about the same price as premium economy? ANZ premec on the LAX plane looks super nice. Way nicer than premium economy on the Vancouver plane, which I got stuck in once when they overbooked business. If you can book a premium cabin for about the same price as skycouch, do that.

Also spoiler alert: the plane that goes LHR->LAX->AKL->Somewhere in Australia is the Smaug plane.

Also with Air New Zealand you can bid to upgrade your fare, so if you book economy you bid for premec, if you book premec you bid for a business seat. Doesn't always work but you can sometimes get a better cabin for a pretty decent price.

I'm a big fan of Air New Zealand, they have absolutely phenomenal customer service.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah I really like them. The trade off between premium and sky couch seems to be negligible. I'm just interested in trying it for the experience or whatever.

Whats the going upgrade bid for prem to biz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I got it twice for around $650 (CAD) from YVR to AKL, but then I also didn't get it once from AKL to YVR a year later with the same bid.

The one tip I can give you is to fake book a business ticket until you get to seat selection and make sure there are actually seats left in the business cabin for the flight you want. Although once they gave me the upgrade on an overbooked flight. They wanted to just put me on a different flight but I 100% needed that one and couldn't go through LA, so they refunded me the money I paid for the upgrade and gave me a free upgrade from premec to business on any flight in the future. Which was awesome, I used the upgrade on the return flight.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 16, 2016