Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Heithinn Grasida posted:

The drakeblood greatsword is pretty beastly. It's split 3 ways, but the lightning damage is still quite high (140 something?) Raw with lightning blade at 60 faith it hits almost 800 AR. If you go full glass cannon and wear both clutch rings, it goes over 800. And the moveset is incredible, at least for PvE. It's versatile, has Stance as its skill and you have almost perfect hyperarmor in the two-handed R1s and can poise through just about anything. The low stamina consumption, high damage, and decent speed mean you can kill anything but a boss in one combo, and because you don't stagger, but stagger enemies quickly, you can just trade hits with even really nasty bastards like the giant snakemen and you'll win.

Yeah, it's actually a nasty loving weapon for Sorceries/Miracles if you're willing to use CMW/Lightning Blade on it. The moveset is more-or-less the Watcher's Greatsword from DS2, and that thing was the bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Harrow posted:

For weapon scaling: usually 40, though it can be worth it to go to 60 if you're wielding pure Strength or pure Dexterity weapons and have nowhere else to put your points (see this). 40 is safe, though. If you're wielding Refined weapons, 40/40 Strength/Dex is where you want to stop, or 27 Strength/40 Dex if you're always going to two-hand.

For magic scaling: 60, or either 30/30 or 40/40 Int/Faith for pyromancy (apparently 40/40 actually is worth it if you can pull it off)

I was thinking in NG+ going for quality sunlight straight sword and swordspear, or maybe using sunlight blade on stuff. Oh well there's always respeccing.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Anal Surgery posted:

I've been enjoying my relatively-easy pyro run and decided to Friends of Aldrich it up for awhile and let me tell you scamps something...

pyromancy is butts for PVP. I'm a solidy C- PVPer but even the newbiest newb knows to dodge my slow fire spells. I can only nail someone when they are otherwise engaged in a fight or sometimes with a lucky combustion.

So, instead I put chaos on the drang hammers... :getin:

edit: I still suck though. My lack of ability is not at all helped by every host being able to slash me 6 times through my drang swings. :smith:

If you wanna get really cruel with bad PvPers and rando invaders you can just use the L2 attack over and over, taking a couple of steps in between each time to catch them rolling. Basically if your opponent is bad enough to get caught in the classic R1-two steps-R1 vortex theres no reason to waste time trying to manually aim spells.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Anyone have this graphical glitch in Wolnir's room?

Been like this since release on the highest settings, the walls look less like stone and more like fresh clay too.

On another note, is it just me or are elemental infusions lackluster? if your a spellcaster you might as well make it raw and buff it, tried a pyro with the A/A scaling Chaos infusion Astora Greatsword, but it only hits most things in the 200 damage range and I seem to hit harder with a raw astoras straight sword.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong and chaos infusion and the other elemental infusions are amazing despite the extra enemy absorb penalty?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

havenwaters posted:

Circle-strafing is how you avoid boss attacks though.

if you are the target of the boss and have summons, stay in front and roll away from attacks, don't turn it around. it's really not necessary to strafe constantly on any boss

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Heithinn Grasida posted:

It got buffed at some point in DS2 as well and was good then too. 140 counter damage and good stats while infused meant you could get 1000 damage counter hits pretty easily on the R2 and drop most enemies in one hit. Of course, there were much more overpowered weapons, the moveset wasn't as good as other greatswords and it sucked when Shulva was released, but it still ended up quite solid.

The patch to just drop was 1.05. 1.06 is the balance patch that's supposed to come later today. I have no idea why they're separate.

Reading a little bit about info on the patch on Japanese websites, and it seems that dual-wield swords are all being nerfed. The stamina cost of the L1s is being increased. Daggers are being buffed, apparently fairly significantly. I haven't figured out what they're doing with sorcery (I think it's sorcery, not "magic"). If anyone here has actual Japanese skills instead of my muddling through hiragana and guessing based on the Chinese characters, here's the link http://dark-soku.blog.jp/archives/59103749.html

What about twinswords demanded a nerf? I beat the entire game exclusively with the starter swords the mercenary gets and it was monstrously more difficult than the stance weapons could ever be.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Being unable to backstab people as they open doors is some serious bullshit. Chased one fucker through three as he ran back to the bonfire to summon more help, which is also poo poo.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Anyone have this graphical glitch in Wolnir's room?

Been like this since release on the highest settings, the walls look less like stone and more like fresh clay too.

On another note, is it just me or are elemental infusions lackluster? if your a spellcaster you might as well make it raw and buff it, tried a pyro with the A/A scaling Chaos infusion Astora Greatsword, but it only hits most things in the 200 damage range and I seem to hit harder with a raw astoras straight sword.

Yep. There's missing textures in a few other spots (Archdragon Peak) as well.

Elemental infusions are garbage because of their poor decision to go with flat elemental damage reduction and the inability to buff elemental weapons yet again. Every weapon that actually scales with FTH/INT (beyond poo poo like the Swordspear) just sucks right now.

Woozy posted:

What about twinswords demanded a nerf? I beat the entire game exclusively with the starter swords the mercenary gets and it was monstrously more difficult than the stance weapons could ever be.

They mean Gotthard's, which is super incredible bullshit in PVP and still very strong in PVE as well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

I was thinking in NG+ going for quality sunlight straight sword and swordspear, or maybe using sunlight blade on stuff. Oh well there's always respeccing.

Lightning Blade can be worth it at like 40 Faith, it's even not too bad at 30 Faith. The Swordspear is apparently good enough at base Faith to wield it, if you're not married to using Lightning Blade. 40/40 quality with the Sunlight Straight Sword should be plenty powerful without a buff, really. You could maybe do like 27 Strength/40 Dexterity/30 Faith at SL 100+ and be able to cast Lightning Blade if you want. Even at just 30 Faith it'll still be stronger than a Gold Pine Resin, and you can stack the Sunlight Straight Sword's buff with Deep Protection, too.

I plan to respec a bunch in NG+ though to play around with different things.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

The patch to just drop was 1.05. 1.06 is the balance patch that's supposed to come later today. I have no idea why they're separate.

Reading a little bit about info on the patch on Japanese websites, and it seems that dual-wield swords are all being nerfed. The stamina cost of the L1s is being increased. Daggers are being buffed, apparently fairly significantly. I haven't figured out what they're doing with sorcery (I think it's sorcery, not "magic"). If anyone here has actual Japanese skills instead of my muddling through hiragana and guessing based on the Chinese characters, here's the link http://dark-soku.blog.jp/archives/59103749.html

They're actually nerfing the Gotthards? Right after I got them? gently caress, they're so much fun, and if I know From they'll be nerfed a bit too much and they won't be worth using in NG+.

Maybe they'll just make it easier to escape the stunlock from the weapon art and leave its damage alone so I can still use it in PvE? ...no, I know, I know.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 28, 2016

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Yes, that's why I posed that question the way I did.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
I made some utility weapons using the basic elemental infusions that wound up being pretty useful, especially if they had a particularly valuable weapon art like quickstep. Going half the game without a reliable source of titanite as way more of a problem but you can, for example, use a quickstep flame weapon to easily deal with the giant and slime encounter in Cathedral.

Woozy fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 28, 2016

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Met my first rapier spammer. My PVE build didn't stand a chance. :smithfrog:

I loving love pulling off a katana parry though. So satisfying.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 28, 2016

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Matchmaking is 90% Dank Sword and Estoc.

Nerfs all Twin Swords.

From Clownshoes.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

which wiki do people use as a reference? I use wikidot (the correct one)

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Just alt F4 if you get invaded.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Decrepus posted:

who uses embers

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

voltcatfish posted:

who uses embers

Right after a boss it's fun to play "how soon until an invader appears?"

Can you invade on the Irithyl crocodog bridge?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Right after a boss it's fun to play "how soon until an invader appears?"

Can you invade on the Irithyl crocodog bridge?

hell yeah you can

it's a shame the bridge isn't more narrow or else i'd have the perfect soul stream battleground

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Vermain posted:

They mean Gotthard's, which is super incredible bullshit in PVP and still very strong in PVE as well.

The link shows a stamina bar after three swings with the drang spears, drang hammers, onikiri, winged knight axes, and Gotthard's and all of them are nerfed. I think the sellsword twinblades are nerfed too. I think all they're doing is nerfing stamina use, it and while it hurts, it won't be by enough to make those weapons unusable. There were quite a few Japanese players bitching about Gotthard's (and also many saying they love them).

Edit: Also, I thought that they're just adjusting sorcery, but it seems the Japanese does indeed just say "magic", so nobody knows what they're doing.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 28, 2016

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
That poo poo with the winged axes did look pretty crazy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Reddit is saying the magic changes were exclusively nerfs, specifically to Great Chaos Fire Orb and, for some reason, Affinity.

I hope the Gotthard changes are just to stamina use. I can live without stunlocking and needing to actually time my attacks. The screen shots in that link look pretty crippling, though, like never use more than two L1s crippling.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Reddit is saying the magic changes were exclusively nerfs, specifically to Great Chaos Fire Orb and, for some reason, Affinity.

lol

GCFO kind of needed it, but the rest kind of needed lifting up too.

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue
I can see Great Chaos Fire Orb at least, as it is it's incredibly strong for how cheap it is in FP, and that's even with non-optimal pyro stats and a not-completely-upgraded pyro hand. Yeah, 2 Attunement Slots makes up for a lot balance-wise, but not that much.

Affinity however... Ouch. Though I guess that gives an actual reason to use Crystal Soulmass over it - hopefully it's just an FP cost increase or something? HCSM is expensive as hell compared to Affinity.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Beat the game last night at Level 79.

What level should I stop at in order to maximize multiplayer coop in a New Game + playthrough? I want to summon for bosses and then be summoned as well.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

i guess with this patch they really don't want poise to mean anything

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Assuming they did only nerf the stamina usage on the Gotthards, I can live with that. Honestly I don't love the L1s on that weapon anyway, except for the rolling L1s--it's a lot slower than you'd expect. It hits hard, but it's slow enough that you're probably not going to hit with more than one on anything moving quickly, especially because the second attack in the chain is a thrust with a really long wind-up.

(I'm assuming they didn't also amp up the stamina usage on its R1s, which would be crazy because it's already just a weaker Longsword if you only use it one-handed.)

Boosted_C5 posted:

Beat the game last night at Level 79.

What level should I stop at in order to maximize multiplayer coop in a New Game + playthrough? I want to summon for bosses and then be summoned as well.

You're probably safe anywhere up to 100 if co-op is what you want. Maybe higher because people often level to 120/125 for PvP, but 100 seems like a safe cap.

Atreiden posted:

i guess with this patch they really don't want poise to mean anything

Either that, or they don't know what the appropriate way to fix it is yet. My money's on "working as intended" but you never really know with From.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I really hope they don't exclusively balance around pvp (which is a wonderland of magical desync/lag anyway), some more validity for specialized build pve playthroughs would be great.

Also bring back the crown of the dark sun and the channeler's trident, even if it's just via the dlc.

Decrepus posted:

Why are people so loving scared of dying like it matters at all, just wave and do silly rolls for a bit or summon 18 dudes. It's not like you're ever further than 20 seconds away from a bonfire anyway.

Also hoping someone finds the encryption key for the savegames, i want to see if they still store a death count, i feel like i must have hit quad digits by now.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Harrow posted:

Either that, or they don't know what the appropriate way to fix it is yet. My money's on "working as intended" but you never really know with From.

I think you are right, which makes all the weapons, armors and spells that buff your poise ridiculous. I guess pvp will continue to be light armor, long reaching straight swords and katanas, with no reason to invest points in vitality. Making vitality a fashion tax rather than a useful stat. god drat I miss the varied builds of dark souls 2.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Harrow posted:

That isn't strictly true, but there are only a very small amount of exceptions so it's true for all intents and purposes.

You can't buff:
  • Boss weapons (Titanite Scale weapons).
  • Twinkling Titanite weapons.
  • Weapons infused with Crystal, Lightning, Blessed, Simple, Chaos, Dark, Deep, or Fire.

Not quite. According to the wiki, Anri's Straight Sword can be buffed, even though it is a Twinkling Titanite weapon.

It can't be infused, which makes sense seeing as it already has a unique "infusion" (a weird crossbreed of Blessed and Hollow)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Elerion posted:

Not quite. According to the wiki, Anri's Straight Sword can be buffed, even though it is a Twinkling Titanite weapon.

Yeah, you're right. So can the Sunlight Straight Sword.

So there goes my attempts to figure out consistent rule for what you can and can't buff.

Atreiden posted:

I think you are right, which makes all the weapons, armors and spells that buff your poise ridiculous. I guess pvp will continue to be light armor, long reaching straight swords and katanas, with no reason to invest points in vitality. Making vitality a fashion tax rather than a useful stat. god drat I miss the varied builds of dark souls 2.

At least for weapon variety, it really isn't as bad as all that. There's definitely a place for heavier weapons who can use their hyperarmor frames to trade. Also, don't the weapon arts that buff poise actually do something? They don't last very long but I remember people talking about how you can use Perseverance to make people's attacks bounce off of you if you time it right.

Armor needs a buff in absorption, at least. There's no reason why you should take like 6% less damage in full Havel's--which is drat near impossible to roll in--than you would in full Fallen Knight.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
When can i respec?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

lite_sleepr posted:

When can i respec?

As soon as you clear most of cathedral of the deep. which you can go to after road of sacrifice and the crystal sage boss

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lite_sleepr posted:

When can i respec?

There's an NPC you can find in the Cathedral of the Deep who lets you respec. She's a bit off the beaten path but not particularly hidden.

Be warned, though, that joining her covenant in order to respec will make another NPC dislike you and prevent you from completing that other NPC's quest line.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

lite_sleepr posted:

When can i respec?

Towards the end of the cathedral and you need to give the covenant person there five items that you get from winning invasions or are farmed off a different enemy.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Harrow posted:

For magic scaling: 60, or either 30/30 or 40/40 Int/Faith for pyromancy (apparently 40/40 actually is worth it if you can pull it off)

Is 40/40 difficult to pull off on a Pyro build? I'm at endgame at SL80 with 30/30 and enough VIG to survive both the endgame and PvP. 20 more points would put me at a comfortable SL100 with 40/40 and that should still put you in a good SL range for the summon meta, shouldn't it? I'm shooting for 110 at the moment since I only have 10 END and should probably up that to 15-20 if I want to pokespam more with my Estoc...

Once the meta gets all sorted out I'll probably use one of my respecs to fix things though...

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Harrow posted:

There's an NPC you can find in the Cathedral of the Deep who lets you respec. She's a bit off the beaten path but not particularly hidden.

Be warned, though, that joining her covenant in order to respec will make another NPC dislike you and prevent you from completing that other NPC's quest line.

Can you say if its worth it? Will i miss out on a totes sweet quest and reward?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Towards the end of the cathedral and you need to give the covenant person there five items that you get from winning invasions or are farmed off a different enemy.

Respeccing costs only one pale tongue but you can only do it 5 times each play through.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

How does that questline work anyway? Sirris showed up in Firelink once or maybe twice, and then...I never saw her again. Same happened with Irina disappearing and neither her nor Eygon showing up anywhere again, but at least I know why she disappeared (gently caress you lady I needed that Dark Blade) even if I found it weird that there's never any sign of them again, not even like a parting message or anything. But Sirris I never figured out what the gently caress was even going on with, all I know about her is she apparently gets mad about Rosaria's Fingers if she's still around.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

Is 40/40 difficult to pull off on a Pyro build? I'm at endgame at SL80 with 30/30 and enough VIG to survive both the endgame and PvP. 20 more points would put me at a comfortable SL100 with 40/40 and that should still put you in a good SL range for the summon meta, shouldn't it? I'm shooting for 110 at the moment since I only have 10 END and should probably up that to 15-20 if I want to pokespam more with my Estoc...

Once the meta gets all sorted out I'll probably use one of my respecs to fix things though...

At 120, you can do 40/40 if you leave your Str/Dex at minimum, but the necessity of leveling up Attunement means you're going to have to sacrifice a bit on Vigor and Endurance. It's totally doable, though. At SL100 you might just want to stay at 30/30, which is still very strong.

lite_sleepr posted:

Can you say if its worth it? Will i miss out on a totes sweet quest and reward?

If you miss out on the other NPC's quest, there are a couple of weapons and armor sets you won't be able to get on that playthrough, but nothing that's horribly gamebreaking. That said, if you're planning on running a Faith build, one of the weapons is really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GaussianCopula posted:

Respeccing costs only one pale tongue but you can only do it 5 times each play through.

Oh hell yes I thought it was 5 per. Time to get creative.