Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Those new capes are crazy strong with all those augments, and the summoner one gives another avatar level. Frod's reign of terror continues to grow...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Male of the Century posted:

Those new capes are crazy strong with all those augments, and the summoner one gives another avatar level. Frod's reign of terror continues to grow...

this should mean 28 acc, 37 attack, 5 to all stats... and the additional 20 acc/attack or macc/mdmg from augments and 10 haste to pet or 10 a tic regen and the 5 bp damage.

This cape pretty much makes conveyance irrelevant for everything but elemental siphon. Its good for both sides of bp rage as well as options for avatar idle and avatar tp.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
The raptor mount music is amazing. Please go get it and just listen to it all day.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Lant posted:

The raptor mount music is amazing. Please go get it and just listen to it all day.

I agree, the raptor mount music is great. Not as good as the chocobo mount music, but both are enjoyable.

Gruknor fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 5, 2016

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

They finally fixed wyverns in dynamis not despawning when you kill the master.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Lant posted:

What is this ingame sound you speak of

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oh wow, they finally added the Relic weaponskills to the auto-translate list. It only took them 12 years! :haw:

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
There's a bonus campaign coming the 11th but it's all poo poo and doesn't have XP so that's at least 3 weeks of XP/CP sobriety, kill me now.

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

The campaign is a bit weak, but I guess I can probably get some UNMs done. And the Walk of Echoes thing, I don't know what Surge is but will that make getting Devious Die and Residue and whatnot easier? I want to unlock CDC and Wildfire now so if the price of the items tanks that would be lovely.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Typically emp WS unlock items tank during surge campaign.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Wanted dial seems neat. 20 days x 16 (main + 15 mules) = 320 chances at a contemplator.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Suprise! The update doesn't do poo poo for fixing the slog that is trying to get into ambuscade.

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

Spengler where are you

ChuckBTY
Feb 14, 2012
So I played this game from 2002-2007 or so, and after hearing they are shutting down the Xbox/PS2 servers i kind of got the nostagic urge to play again. So a couple quick questions:

1) What do I need to know as a new player starting fresh. I'm not going through the bother of reloading my old character as I gave away all my gear to LS mates back in the day anyway

2) is there enough of a goon presence still for me to bother getting in the LS?

South Town guy
Jun 6, 2011

ChuckBTY posted:

So I played this game from 2002-2007 or so, and after hearing they are shutting down the Xbox/PS2 servers i kind of got the nostagic urge to play again. So a couple quick questions:

1) What do I need to know as a new player starting fresh. I'm not going through the bother of reloading my old character as I gave away all my gear to LS mates back in the day anyway

There's a sort of achievement/mini-quest system called Records of Eminence where you can set objectives in your Quest menu that gives you exp, and sometimes other rewards for completing all sorts of tasks, from killing # mobs, to completing story missions, to reaching certain levels on a job, unlocking jobs and quested weapon skills - you can keep up to 30 of these objectives set and many are repeatable, so with the bumped exp gain it's pretty simple to level up while doing whatever you intended to do instead of going out of your way specifically to level up as in the old days. There's a whole Tutorial sub-category that can point new players in useful directions.
Getting these objectives done grants you a new currency, sparks, with which you can get all sort of things, including level 117 gear and books that give you skill ups.

There's a new system, Trust alter egos, that basically lets you have NPC party member versions of existing characters, some of which didn't even have actual combat data before this was introduced - some are quested, others are bound to time-limited campaigns, but there's a big variety of them that'll help a lot with leveling and soloing content.

There's a final mission line, Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, which wraps the whole story and at certain points requires progress in some of the prior mission lines - as you progress it gets you permanent key items with perks like extra exp gain, lower currency costs on all sorts of things in the game, and bumps the amount of NPC party members you can use. It's something you can start pretty much at level 1, and one of the early missions pretty much replaces the subjob quest if you haven't done that yet.
To make the most of its story you can start with it, go take care of your nation missions and the Zilart stuff when it points to toward doing the Shadow Lord fight, finish Rhapsodies chapter 1, go finish CoP, Apocalypse Nigh, ToAU and WotG, finish Rhapsodies chapter 2, finish Adoulin (its end is probably the first thing one's unlikely to solo nowadays), then start Rhapsodies chapter 3, which is best enjoyed with every other mission line completed.

There's a lot more, of course, but this should help.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Also you can't play any of the melee jobs except blue mage, they all "suck" and nobody will want to do anything with you.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Also you can't play any of the melee jobs except blue mage, they all "suck" and nobody will want to do anything with you.

A well geared dd will have some fun spamming the dragon for the rest of this month. But most people shout for blus anyway.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

It's a shame Ambuscade is just not a fun event. The fight is over, even on VD, in less time than it takes to farm the KI and actually get into the event. Then the fights are just kinda boring :(
Hopefully next month the battles are more interesting and challenging.

ChuckBTY
Feb 14, 2012

Lol. I'm not too worried about this. I'm going RNG if that matters, but really I'm mostly playing to do the story lines I either missed out on (anything after CoP) or were such a horrifying grindslog at the time I had trouble appreciating (everything else).

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

ChuckBTY posted:

Lol. I'm not too worried about this. I'm going RNG if that matters, but really I'm mostly playing to do the story lines I either missed out on (anything after CoP) or were such a horrifying grindslog at the time I had trouble appreciating (everything else).

For what it is worth, you can solo most of the story missions. The only exceptions are some SoA and RoV missions. For those that you get stuck with you can always just do a shout and hope for the best. The game is still grindy, but not as much of a grind as it used to be.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
If you're restarting and your old character ain't poo poo come to Asura correct? Anyone in specific I can talk to for a pearl?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

CyberLord XP posted:

If you're restarting and your old character ain't poo poo come to Asura correct? Anyone in specific I can talk to for a pearl?

Post your character here and most of us can pearl you.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

How true is this, really? Once I finish SoA and RoV I want to gear a job out. I'm THF main atm, but now that Rudra's Storm isn't broken anymore, it doesn't seem like a viable endgame job. I've always liked MNK, but it's a melee DD. I'm a big fan of BLU which makes that the obvious choice, but I'm interested in RNG and PUP as well. Is PUP even remotely viable? Maybe as a solo job?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Zero The Hero posted:

How true is this, really? Once I finish SoA and RoV I want to gear a job out. I'm THF main atm, but now that Rudra's Storm isn't broken anymore, it doesn't seem like a viable endgame job. I've always liked MNK, but it's a melee DD. I'm a big fan of BLU which makes that the obvious choice, but I'm interested in RNG and PUP as well. Is PUP even remotely viable? Maybe as a solo job?

Thf WSes are still very much broken, Dnc can pump out great numbers.

Rng is largely ignored.

Pup at high tiers is a tank and DD job, pets are in a weird spot where perfectly geared players can surpass other classes with pets due to how broken everything is atm.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

frodnonnag posted:

Thf WSes are still very much broken, Dnc can pump out great numbers.

Rng is largely ignored.

Pup at high tiers is a tank and DD job, pets are in a weird spot where perfectly geared players can surpass other classes with pets due to how broken everything is atm.

You think Thf > Dnc?
I might consider PUP but I'm not going to be perfectly geared, so maybe I shouldn't bother. I really like the job but there's no point grinding out all the skill I'm still missing only to not participate in any content because my gear is too low. On the other hand, all I'd have to do is get my PUP to be stronger than my THF to be happy.

Any advice on THF gear? I'm still on Taeon gear.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

frodnonnag posted:

Post your character here and most of us can pearl you.

Cool, in as Waaagh.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
I'm so badly tempted to pick this back up for a bit and try to run around solo a bunch as Blue Mage. I think my skills are capped from way back when, but I'm not sure how arduous gearing would be at this point. What's the process, assuming you have at least the spark gear? Is it still kind of awkward to get those papers to upgrade your artifact and relic gear?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Fridurmus posted:

I'm so badly tempted to pick this back up for a bit and try to run around solo a bunch as Blue Mage. I think my skills are capped from way back when, but I'm not sure how arduous gearing would be at this point. What's the process, assuming you have at least the spark gear? Is it still kind of awkward to get those papers to upgrade your artifact and relic gear?

You can grind out the papers solo. If you are looking to finish stories you can do all but like 2 fights by yourself.

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before
So, uh, I've gotten back into this lately with a new character, due to FF14 burnout and the more slowpaced gameplay being kinder to my fricked hands. And not that it's a big deal or anything, but did they nerf the LB5 fights at any point? Or maybe they adjusted weapon skills and didn't retune said fights? I recently did LB5 on Puppetmaster and was a little startled when I cleared it with basically a single Howling Fist on Sharmarhaan, I ended up going in hilariously over prepared.

That aside, is there a confirmed bug regarding the current/completed quest list? I'm showing as having nothing in Windurst, which is my starting/home nation for what it's worth.

Dreamy Souffle fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 27, 2016

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Fridurmus posted:

Blue Mage is so much fun. If you wanted to you could farm sparks and get papers that way.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Going through RoV missions, keep seeing these messages. Looked all around and can't figure out what it is:

The bonds tying you to Altana have strengthened, enabling you to experience all the memories of (expansion name)!

Silky Thighs
Aug 30, 2005

Started playing again few weeks ago as Obbelix on Asura, would love to get a pearl. I got SAM to 99 and now I'm leveling up BST. I am at Lv90 so far. Can i start to do end game stuff with BST in sparks gear at 99? I got as far as i could in RoV but have to go back and do other missions from previous expansion to continue.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Gruknor posted:

Blue Mage is so much fun. If you wanted to you could farm sparks and get papers that way.

I'm gonna haul mine out for sure, I just need to figure out what gear I need and how to get it.

In particular, I have no idea what weapon progression should look like. I'm sure I need a separate set for melee and for magic, although I'd assume that'd be covered pretty well by my AF/Relic/Empyrean upgraded sets?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Dreamy Souffle posted:

So, uh, I've gotten back into this lately with a new character, due to FF14 burnout and the more slowpaced gameplay being kinder to my fricked hands. And not that it's a big deal or anything, but did they nerf the LB5 fights at any point? Or maybe they adjusted weapon skills and didn't retune said fights? I recently did LB5 on Puppetmaster and was a little startled when I cleared it with basically a single Howling Fist on Sharmarhaan, I ended up going in hilariously over prepared.

That aside, is there a confirmed bug regarding the current/completed quest list? I'm showing as having nothing in Windurst, which is my starting/home nation for what it's worth.

The missions lists and quests lists are separate. Nation rank is missions

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zero The Hero posted:

Going through RoV missions, keep seeing these messages. Looked all around and can't figure out what it is:

The bonds tying you to Altana have strengthened, enabling you to experience all the memories of (expansion name)!

It means you can watch the cutscenes for those expacks without having to go through the missions, if you don't want to.

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

Paladine_PSoT posted:

The missions lists and quests lists are separate. Nation rank is missions

Oh yeah, no, I know that. I just wasn't sure if the quest tab like, opened to your home nation, or if it just always opened to Windurst first, if that factored in, etc. It's the only one of my quest menus that's weirdly blank ("No current/completed quests.") in both the current and completed tabs, the others are fine.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

It means you can watch the cutscenes for those expacks without having to go through the missions, if you don't want to.

Oh. I already completed them, so I guess I wouldn't have seen a difference.

I wish they'd add something that would let you replay every scene from one spot, like they have in FF14. I'm disappointed at how little they're willing to change the interface even now that it's PC only.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Or, you know, going to Youtube.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Oh hey so FFXI mobile is still going along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

That second screenshot shows 4 different currencies in the menu.
I get the feeling this is gonna be an IAP nightmare :smith: