Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Actually brought up both those things, he said they aren't "factual events rooted in policy" ? So like his dad might be a religious cult leader man, but that doesn't mean Cruz will because he never overtly said anything about it. And shutting down the government was not exclusively his fault so that doesn't count. It is an odd logic I am fighting here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

OatmealRaisin posted:

It's gonna be a McMahon. Linda makes more sense but this is Trump we're talking about so I won't rule Vince out.

I know this is awhile ago, but Liberal Linda has the same issues of formerly supporting Democratic candidates (and courting people voting for B. Hussein) as Trump, which should make for some hilarious Bircher meltdowns if she is selected.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/12/opinion/the-brutalism-of-ted-cruz.html

David Brooks is an idiot but this is a fairly good overview of why somewhat moderate Republicans have a problem with him.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

WampaLord posted:

HE SHUT DOWN THE MOTHERFUCKING GOVERNMENT

And it was because of the Affordable Healthcare Act. What a scum bag.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

phantom_dilz posted:

So I have a friend who insists people just like to hate on Cruz because "he is awful, he is the worst" but have no substance to back it up. I am perfectly content with disliking the man as a candidate because he looks like a vaseline eel and sounds like a gently caress rear end. Does anyone have concise, reliable sources for legitimate reasons why he is so lovely? To clarify, he is asking for "a bad thing he did" or a "clear reason why I shouldn't vote for him". Thanks goons and god bless MAGA 2016

Tried to ban dildos, tried to make a kid serve 16 years for shoplifting, had his wife loan his campaign money illegally, is a total backbiter.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Three Olives posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/12/opinion/the-brutalism-of-ted-cruz.html

David Brooks is an idiot but this is a fairly good overview of why somewhat moderate Republicans have a problem with him.

Wait....I thought he was a compassionate conservative

People should throw calculators at him

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Believes the transgender are mentally ill but should be treated with electroshock instead of SRS

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Boosted_C5 posted:

with JEB! and Lyin' Ted...in chains.

Please stop reading my erotic fanfiction kthx.

phantom_dilz posted:

Actually brought up both those things, he said they aren't "factual events rooted in policy" ? So like his dad might be a religious cult leader man, but that doesn't mean Cruz will because he never overtly said anything about it. And shutting down the government was not exclusively his fault so that doesn't count. It is an odd logic I am fighting here.

It sounds like your friend is deep in the kool-aid.

Ask him if he has any problems with same-sex marriage. It might be time to :sever:

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 28, 2016

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TheTatteredKing posted:

Tried to ban dildos, tried to make a kid serve 16 years for shoplifting, had his wife loan his campaign money illegally, is a total backbiter.

So my friend is a bankruptcy attorney who does constitutional law for fun (what a dork LOLOL). I have made the mistake of bringing up the 16 year shoplifting and dildo ban thing. His counter I can't wholly disagree with, and it is basically that Ted is just doing his job when he tries to ban dildos because his position is as a representative of the state attorney and as a prosecutor or whatever he was, I forget his old job title. Basically lawyers shouldn't be held responsible for what they defend/prosecute. I will see what he says about the campaign loan thing...that looks suspect as gently caress now that I am reading about it.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

babypolis posted:

you are a racist piece of poo poo, please gently caress off already

I'm black, idiot.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah but that's total over reach and inconsistent with his small government platform. Has Cruz himself even given that explanation? It's a pattern of lovely authoritarianism where he wants to throw the book at everyone but wants no laws or taxes every on him and his.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

TheTatteredKing posted:

Yeah but that's total over reach and inconsistent with his small government platform. Has Cruz himself even given that explanation? It's a pattern of lovely authoritarianism where he wants to throw the book at everyone but wants no laws or taxes every on him and his.

Banning things based on biblical literalism is 100% consistent with his platform and is based on the brilliant legal reasoning of the constitution doesn't say dildos are allowed

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

phantom_dilz posted:

Basically lawyers shouldn't be held responsible for what they defend/prosecute.

Defend? Sure, makes sense, you have to defend every client to your maximum ability.

Prosecute? Not the same, you have the ability to not press charges, to prosecute for lesser charges, etc.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

phantom_dilz posted:

So my friend is a bankruptcy attorney who does constitutional law for fun (what a dork LOLOL). I have made the mistake of bringing up the 16 year shoplifting and dildo ban thing. His counter I can't wholly disagree with, and it is basically that Ted is just doing his job when he tries to ban dildos because his position is as a representative of the state attorney and as a prosecutor or whatever he was, I forget his old job title. Basically lawyers shouldn't be held responsible for what they defend/prosecute. I will see what he says about the campaign loan thing...that looks suspect as gently caress now that I am reading about it.

Offhand, I suspect your friend will rules-lawyer his way out of any argument. But most lawyers have better sense than to try to play games like that out of court but anyway.

So how about something a little closer to home. How about Ted Cruz has one of the most sought-after, highly-regarded jobs in the world and blows off work all the time, because he can. And still has the loving nerve to run for President. Just for starters. Unpretty as he may be, he's incredibly narcissistic.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/04/ted-cruz-2016-senate-vote-record-117201

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Normally I would say that running for President is evidence enough that he's a terrible person. But I'm not sure that whatever Cruz is doing these days can accurately be described as "running for President".

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

StandardVC10 posted:

Trump puts America first, unlike all those other candidates who put America second or third I guess?

The candidates of global liberalism and international capitalism, yes. The candidates of NAFTA and outsourcing and world policing and toppling Saddam.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

quote:

In speaking of his retirement, the former Speaker said he didn’t regret a thing. As a Catholic, Boehner said it was particularly moving to meet Pope Francis when he spoke to Congress. Boehner resigned the following day.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Ted Cruz is going to change taxes to an idiotic postcard that still has a line for deductions that are presumably calculated on another sheet of paper and will be governed according to some kind of rules overseen by some kind of governing body effectively nullifying the whole premise

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Maoist Pussy posted:

I'm black, idiot.

I don't think they are mutually exclusive. Even black cops profile and do things to black men they would never even think about doing to me when I am speeding like a jackass.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

as halfway crooks posted:

did we (or anyone) ever really expect trump to pivot on "im with her" though, you doofuses
her campaign slogan is literally "im with her" but nope better let that one slide without saying anything cus women

stop destroying the pivot meme, we may well need it again
like for the megyn kelly interview

When he and Ailes are through with her, she's really gonna bleeding from her whatevers.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

WampaLord posted:

Prosecute? Not the same, you have the ability to not press charges, to prosecute for lesser charges, etc.

This is smart and I probably should have at least asked why he couldn't refuse.

Everyone has given me some decent starting ammunition so far. Convincing him Ted Cruz is poo poo is like my white whale, so I will update if I am successful. Feel free to post anything else relevant and I will write up a demonstrative proof manifesto thing to shove in his dumb idiot face.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Ted Cruz is going to change taxes to an idiotic postcard that still has a line for deductions that are presumably calculated on another sheet of paper and will be governed according to some kind of rules overseen by some kind of governing body effectively nullifying the whole premise

Plus the 'skinsuit renewal fund' is suspect as all hell.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

phantom_dilz posted:

He believes pretty much all of the same stuff his dad does about religion and the role of government, he thinks this is a Christian country and that it's his duty as president to protect Christian values. He thinks that Christians are persecuted in America by gays and other ungodly forces and views it as one of his highest priorities to stop this, he talks about it constantly. If you friend is at all socially liberal or just not a conservative Christian this should be troubling. Many Republicans just talk about rolling back progress on social issues to rile up the base and proceed to do little when elected because they really don't care, Cruz is the definition of a true believer and would do everything possible in his power to implement his awful views.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 28, 2016

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm0ljSSES1w

good link thanks, vocab +1
but we cant even get nato to spend 2% on defense so why do we think that we can get even less influenceable nations to do anything about an issue as abstract as climate change, it just seems impossible

like yes ofc a government solution to reduce smog in la (thanks nixon!), ok, great, this is the only way because the auto manufacturers wont do it themselves

but an inter-government solution to save glaciers in greenland? like maybe we can get li hua to go in with us because china hates smog now too but one look at population forecasts for africa and i give up

See, solves itself, really. No need for gamesmanship theory at all.

Killing spree!

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Remember when Cruz spoke at a kill the gays rally and was interviewed on stage by Kevin Swanson?

His latest comments

Obviously you shouldn't kill people for being gay, but it is hardly controversial to advise people not to send their children to a transgender school?

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

petit choux posted:

See, solves itself, really. No need for gamesmanship theory at all.

Killing spree!

:(

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Maoist Pussy posted:

Obviously you shouldn't kill people for being gay, but it is hardly controversial to advise people not to send their children to a transgender school?

what is a transgender school

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
guys im getting a cat tomorrow, whats a good name for him
fidel catstro
meowsama bin laden
purray chotiner
:cabot:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

fidel catstro
meowsama bin laden
purray chotiner

cats are stupid and for lonely miserable people, get a dog.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

please stop quoting dilbert/sam harris 'thought experiments' that are ovbiously just Olympus Has Fallen fanfics with some names crossed out

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

phantom_dilz posted:

So I have a friend who insists people just like to hate on Cruz because "he is awful, he is the worst" but have no substance to back it up. I am perfectly content with disliking the man as a candidate because he looks like a vaseline eel and sounds like a gently caress rear end. Does anyone have concise, reliable sources for legitimate reasons why he is so lovely? To clarify, he is asking for "a bad thing he did" or a "clear reason why I shouldn't vote for him". Thanks goons and god bless MAGA 2016

John Boehner, former Republican Speaker of the House, on Ted Cruz posted:

“Lucifer in the flesh, I have Democrat friends and Republican friends. I get along with almost everyone, but I have never worked with a more miserable son of a bitch in my life.”

If you still need more evidence, well, look no further than the fact that he just put Carly Fiorina back in the national spotlight.

Actually I care so much about Ted Cruz being awful that I went and used Google to find some choice examples awful Ted Cruz quotes:

Ted Cruz posted:

“It’s every bit as true now as it was then, we need 100 more like Jesse Helms in the U.S. Senate.”

Ted Cruz posted:

“‘Net neutrality’ is Obamacare for the Internet”

Ted Cruz posted:

“No man who doesn’t begin every day on his knees is fit to stand in the Oval Office.”

I would think your Con Law friend should have a problem with that one in particular (he is in fact talking about Christian prayer).

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 28, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

my bony fealty posted:

what is a transgender school

futa high

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

phantom_dilz posted:

Cost the US govt billions, and the US economy 24 billion dollars: http://swampland.time.com/2013/10/17/heres-what-the-government-shutdown-cost-the-economy/

That's a good one right there. But it isn't that hard to find more (look at my previous posts, I"m sure I posted like a few score)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

My loving jaw dropped open on that one. Just wow.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

fidel catstro
meowsama bin laden
purray chotiner

Donald Trump The Cat

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Donald Trump The Cat

Click

Or

Cool Ranch

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

my bony fealty posted:

hilarious Boehner quote

I brought that up and he gave me the response of "Did he say why?" Apparently John needed to enumerate reasons for his revolted opinion and sensory experience of Ted Cruz for it to have validity.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Ted Cruz is a foreigner stealing the job of GOP candidate from an American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

remember when garrison thought cruz was the second coming?

trump has destroyed the base's trust in literally every other candidate

• Locked thread