Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

How does that questline work anyway? Sirris showed up in Firelink once or maybe twice, and then...I never saw her again. Same happened with Irina disappearing and neither her nor Eygon showing up anywhere again, but at least I know why she disappeared (gently caress you lady I needed that Dark Blade) even if I found it weird that there's never any sign of them again, not even like a parting message or anything. But Sirris I never figured out what the gently caress was even going on with, all I know about her is she apparently gets mad about Rosaria's Fingers if she's still around.

It's similar to Eileen's quest line in Bloodborne, if you played that. You need to find her summon signs in various places. Touching them summons you into her world to help her fight off invaders. The first one is in Irithyll, and the second is outside where you fight the Curse-Rotted Greatwood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Now that I've beaten the game once I've rerolled as a shieldless (or parry-shield) pyromancer to check out all the caster stuff I missed the first time round and get all the NPC storyline stuff. I've fallen back to using a straight sword (raw Astora's) for my main weapon because it's beastly, but I did straight sword for my first playthrough and I'm loving sick of it. Is there an interesting weapon that compliments pyro/casting, that is still useful with low stat investment? I've got 14str/18dex at the moment and probably won't go much higher. I'd prefer 'interesting' to 'viable', even. I've just finished Smouldering Lake so anything up to there is available right now.

Also, is it worth carrying a supply of Undead Hunter Charms when invading or bluecopping? I'm too bad to actually punish estus use in PVP and it means every fight is like ten minutes long.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Insurrectionist posted:

How does that questline work anyway? Sirris showed up in Firelink once or maybe twice, and then...I never saw her again. Same happened with Irina disappearing and neither her nor Eygon showing up anywhere again, but at least I know why she disappeared (gently caress you lady I needed that Dark Blade) even if I found it weird that there's never any sign of them again, not even like a parting message or anything. But Sirris I never figured out what the gently caress was even going on with, all I know about her is she apparently gets mad about Rosaria's Fingers if she's still around.

Check this out if you want to spoil yourself on questlines http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/NPCs (whihc you should cause gently caress From for making most of them extremely easy to break just by exploring)

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Harrow posted:

At 120, you can do 40/40 if you leave your Str/Dex at minimum, but the necessity of leveling up Attunement means you're going to have to sacrifice a bit on Vigor and Endurance. It's totally doable, though. At SL100 you might just want to stay at 30/30, which is still very strong.

How much ATT are we talking, though? I'm already at 24 for the 4 slots (but really only need GCFO, maybe not now after the nerf?) I mean I'm making it a point to get all the covenants out of the way now, just in case.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

How much ATT are we talking, though? I'm already at 24 for the 4 slots (but really only need GCFO, maybe not now after the nerf?) I mean I'm making it a point to get all the covenants out of the way now, just in case.

24 is plenty.

I mainly mention Attunement because a 40/40 Str/Dex quality build doesn't have to care about it and can have like 8-14 extra points (assuming they started as a Knight) elsewhere. A 40/40 pyromancer build, even though you have similar stat investments in your Int/Faith as the quality build would have in their Str/Dex, also needs to put points into Attunement, so you have fewer points to go to Vigor/Endurance.

That said, it's really unlikely you'll need more than 20 Endurance and 35-ish Vigor. (The difference between 35 and 40 Vigor is about 70 HP, for reference.)

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

It's similar to Eileen's quest line in Bloodborne, if you played that. You need to find her summon signs in various places. Touching them summons you into her world to help her fight off invaders. The first one is in Irithyll, and the second is outside where you fight the Curse-Rotted Greatwood.

Huh, that's neat...but since I always play without summoning help I don't think I'd ever have noticed on my own since I never look at summon signs. At least now I know for next playthrough.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

Huh, that's neat...but since I always play without summoning help I don't think I'd ever have noticed on my own since I never look at summon signs. At least now I know for next playthrough.

Anri's quest has a similar moment. Assuming you followed it and timed everything right, Anri's summon sign is outside of the Aldrich fight, and you can go to their world to help fight Aldrich. I actually think it's a pretty cool reversal on the Lucatiel-style "you have to summon the NPCs to progress their quests" thing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

Anri's quest has a similar moment. Assuming you followed it and timed everything right, Anri's summon sign is outside of the Aldrich fight, and you can go to their world to help fight Aldrich. I actually think it's a pretty cool reversal on the Lucatiel-style "you have to summon the NPCs to progress their quests" thing.

Good loving luck completing that one, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finally killed that nameless bugger, turned out the secret was to dodge better

Roll on the DLC, I guess.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sakurazuka posted:

turned out the secret was to dodge better

The dark souls secret.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
So uh, correction video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCiVg5HqWLg

TLDW: Poise does not effect roll recovery after all, equip load does however.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Vermain posted:

It was easy

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Hamburger Test posted:

So uh, correction video

So does poise actually do nothing then? I haven't actually tried, but is the extra hyperarmor on attacks thing even real?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hyper armor exists but if all Poise does is unnoticably slightly extend the frames that already let you power through attacks, these frames that only some weapons have and not all, than yeah it basically does nothing

Vermain posted:

Aldrich is babytown frolics once you figure out the trick to the arrows (don't get hit by them, is the trick)

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
You already get hyper armor, as far as I can tell the idea that poise effects that all stems from speculation.

Noone knows what it does right now, if anything at all.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

Aldrich is babytown frolics once you figure out the trick to the arrows (don't get hit by them, is the trick)

What I mean is keeping Anri's idiot rear end alive through Darkmoon Rain. It comes down to luck or (possibly?) using the Skull Ring to maintain aggro on Aldrich at all times.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Man the early areas of this game is dead as gently caress

I guess that's not too surprising since the game has been out for a while but I expected at least a couple summon signs but I haven't seen hide nor hair of anything.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I honestly thought Anri's Aldritch was intentionally weaker/easier than the one you have to fight yourself because I was summoned to his fight, wasn't really prepared for it, and still took it down first try with only a modicum of effort. Compare that to when I had to fight Aldritch myself for my own progression and he was a right bastard.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hamburger Test posted:

So uh, correction video

So poise does exactly nothing that anyone can detect?

Okay, revising my opinion. It's broke. There's no way From is careless enough to entirely disable the poise mechanic but leave it as a stat you can see on your character sheet.

Okay maybe there is, but I refuse to believe it because that's really silly.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Harrow posted:

Reddit is saying the magic changes were exclusively nerfs, specifically to Great Chaos Fire Orb and, for some reason, Affinity.

I don't know why I expected anything different...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

Okay, revising my opinion. It's broke. There's no way From is careless enough to entirely disable the poise mechanic but leave it as a stat you can see on your character sheet.

Yeah. At this point, if Juutas (who's about the only person in the game who's willing to sit down for hours and hours at a time and test every possible weapon and combination of armor) is saying that Poise does loving nothing, it does loving nothing.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Finally gave in and switched from Farron Greatsword to straight sword + shield for Irithyll. I just couldn't get past the bishop knights without being able to block (and a slow weapon to boot) :negative:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Vermain posted:

What I mean is keeping Anri's idiot rear end alive through Darkmoon Rain. It comes down to luck or (possibly?) using the Skull Ring to maintain aggro on Aldrich at all times.

oh yeah that poo poo is rough

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Harrow posted:

Yeah I'm on board lol. That's wild

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

fuckin' lmaoing at poise, specifically everyone who went through all that effort to try and talk us out of sayings its broke as gently caress

being vindicated owns

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dark Souls 3: Poise is the new Pendant

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Fhqwhgads posted:

I honestly thought Anri's Aldritch was intentionally weaker/easier than the one you have to fight yourself because I was summoned to his fight, wasn't really prepared for it, and still took it down first try with only a modicum of effort. Compare that to when I had to fight Aldritch myself for my own progression and he was a right bastard.

I thought this too, Anri's Aldrich is very weak both times I fought him, no danger to anyone unless I do something stupid like get caught in phase 2 arrows.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Vermain posted:

Dark Souls 3: Poise is the new Pendant

Poise. No effect, but fond memories comfort players.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Babe Magnet posted:

fuckin' lmaoing at poise, specifically everyone who went through all that effort to try and talk us out of sayings its broke as gently caress

being vindicated owns

No but..see. Hyper armour is the new poise..and equip load is the new hyper armour. Shutup. JUST SHUTUP GOD. I'M RIGHT AND YOU'RE NOT.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Babe Magnet posted:

being vindicated owns

You are so loving weird

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hey dude how you doing today, you feelin' alright?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

"that boss is easy once you figure out That One Weird Trick They Don't Want You To Know" - every boss in every souls game

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Don't Get Hit is a pretty weird pick for One Weird Trick but hell, if most people haven't figured it out yet...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Babe Magnet posted:

Don't Get Hit is a pretty weird pick for One Weird Trick but hell, if most people haven't figured it out yet...

They should have made one of the gimmicks "you actually need to be hit by an attack" just to gently caress with people.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
So, in order to git gud I'm pvping as a hollowed-the-gently caress-out Mound-Maker with nothing but my Uchi, rings and pajama pants.

Extremely fun, as it forces you to utilise your entire moveset to beat people. It's also great when you drink all your estus and the other guys get it.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 28, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

They should have made one of the gimmicks "you actually need to be hit by an attack" just to gently caress with people.

Tries to get hit, can't, got too gud

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Grapplejack posted:

Man the early areas of this game is dead as gently caress

I guess that's not too surprising since the game has been out for a while but I expected at least a couple summon signs but I haven't seen hide nor hair of anything.
What are you playing on? I'm sitting by the Halfway Fortress bonfire right now and there are summon signs everywhere.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

We've already had it with Try Jumping (the abyss), come on miyazaki, mess with our expectations

final DLC boss is defeated by Longfinger, But Hole

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Oh my god Aldrich needs to die. Am I doing something wrong, or are his attack patterns kind of... unpredictable?

Sometimes he opens with the homing crystals, other times it's the giant laser, one time he opened with arrows. And in the last bout I had, his arrow rain stayed directly on top of him before--eventually--taking its intended path across the arena.

There's got to be something I can do to tilt the odds a bit. Is it fire? Blob things are usually weak to fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
It is indeed fire.