Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm glad I'm not the only guy who remembers Harriet Christian or anything else about Hillary's 2008 campaign.

She's dead now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Is there a thread for The Detour?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Was there a new episode this week?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

qsvui posted:

Was there a new episode this week?

There's no new episode on the TBS app and John Oliver's show was off this week too, so I'm going to say no.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No, they reran the gun buying episode (which was good because I had missed it the first time).

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Remember that Repe-Kit segment? It helped pass the bill the Republican senator was blocking.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/20/tribeca-2016-samantha-bee-full-frontal

[quote]In March, Full Frontal ran a segment in which Bee reported on the hundreds of thousands of rape kits across the United States that go untested for DNA evidence, and how a Republican state senator in Georgia blocked a bill last year that would have required law enforcement officials to find, count, and test those kits. As Miller tells it, after the segment aired, legislations were able to get the proposal passed.

“At the eleventh hour, after our piece ran, it got a lot of attention and they managed to get it passed by attaching it to another bill — a legislator sacrificed her part of a bill that had to do with background checks for guns and they put in the rape kit in a way that it wouldn’t go through committee, so [it] would just get an up or down vote without going up in this committee,” she explained. “So it got passed at like, 1 till midnight and the supporters were tweeting at us and letting us know.”

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
This show is great.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
Full Frontal brings the righteous anger that The Daily/Nighty Show, is lacking.

Love it.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Is it just me or was Mel surprisingly likable?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

theblackw0lf posted:

Is it just me or was Mel surprisingly likable?

Yeah, he seemed like a good guy who was honestly trying to support the people he thought would be best for the country. And he didn't take himself too seriously or seem condescending or anything at all.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Where's the new ep?
It's recording and listed as something about vaping, but it's last week's show.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

JazzFlight posted:

Where's the new ep?
It's recording and listed as something about vaping, but it's last week's show.
I'm seeing videos from the episode on her Youtube channel.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Their Facebook page says it got bumped to after Conan. No explanation.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Mars4523 posted:

I'm seeing videos from the episode on her Youtube channel.

Even better, the full episode from last night is on the official Youtube channel. Watching it right now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Charles Martel posted:

Even better, the full episode from last night is on the official Youtube channel. Watching it right now.
Have at it, kids
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTnPCF9OWHM

Also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQAyIwi5l6E

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 24, 2016

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The whole swell of anti-Bernie sentiment is making me really said, especially from my favourite female comedians. Cameron Esposito got me to listen to Harmontown again and her being a hardcore Clinton fangirl both boggles my mind and makes me uncomfortable. Aaand I'm not even American.

Anyway, the abortion filmmaker was interesting. And the vape thing was...huh. I mean I kinda thought all the lines about vaping being douchey were kinda mean but looking at that convention footage, holy poo poo...

edit: lol election word filter on the forums.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Did the filter go away? I'm still seeing Bernie as Bernie and etcetera.

The anti-Bernie sentiment is well placed. He's lost any realistic chance of winning the nomination contest weeks ago, and Clinton likely to lock up the last of her magic 2,383 delegates before California even finishes voting. Not that Bernie ever stood a chance of winning California, considering how poorly he appeals to black and hispanic voters. Only knowing that the writing was on the wall, Bernie didn't tone down his attacks over the past few weeks but he actually doubled down on labeling Clinton and the Democratic party as corrupt, and selling his followers a false promise that he is somehow going to convince the very same party leaders that he's spent a year calling out as the establishment elite to reject the will of the people to choose him as the nominee over the more popular candidate.

I'm not sure how you could expect Samantha Bee to react in any way to the Nevada Democratic convention, considering how much personal experience she has with angry white men verbally abusing women in public positions.

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 26, 2016

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I watched it while I was half asleep so my memory is cloudy but I remember the comparison of Bernie to a wife-beater redneck sort of pissed me off.

Also, I really don't get where general venom and distaste/disgust towards vapers is coming from. The people who really get into it with their mods and blow massive clouds of vape are annoying(they're called cloud chasers and yes they're annoying) but a lot of people successfully used them to quit smoking. My 69 year old father who smoked since he was 14 used vaping to quit cigs after his battle with stage 3 lung cancer(cancer free for 2 1/2 years goddamnit) and needed something to help. That's a loving good thing. It also helped me quit smoking and I'll probably be done with it in the next year or two.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chromatic posted:

Also, I really don't get where general venom and distaste/disgust towards vapers is coming from.

It felt more like an attack on "vape culture" than vaping overall to me.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah, that's how I interpreted it too.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's pretty well-deserved, except the timing seems off directly after the FDA announced their regulations. Like kicking people while they're down.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I caught up with the last three episodes. Pleasantly surprised by the Kshama Sawant cameo.

Can't wait for the show next week to play the clip of the guy at the Libertarian convention who stripped into his underwear while giving a speech explaining why he should be party chair.

Ted Cruz is right. :smithicide:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I… kinda want to vote for Gary Johnson?

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

jojoinnit posted:

I… kinda want to vote for Gary Johnson?

If you haven't watched Fareed Zakaria this week, you should. He has a nice interview with Gary Johnson.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Surprised that Jon Stewart cameo didn't get any posts.

And on a less funny note, the military rape stuff makes me SO ANGRY.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

VagueRant posted:

Surprised that Jon Stewart cameo didn't get any posts.

And on a less funny note, the military rape stuff makes me SO ANGRY.

It didn't feel like there was much of a joke to Stewart's appearance. I mean, is he actually running an animal sanctuary now, or was that just random?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

ShakeZula posted:

It didn't feel like there was much of a joke to Stewart's appearance. I mean, is he actually running an animal sanctuary now, or was that just random?

Yes, he's actually doing that.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
there's a serious vibe that Jon Stewart feels like a proud papa that will support his children (Colbert, Bea, Oliver, Noah) even if they make somewhat dumb decisions.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ShakeZula posted:

I think it was more his wife's thing but yes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't think I've ever seen Sam Bee angrier than I did last night. You could tell she was barely holding it together.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

bull3964 posted:

I don't think I've ever seen Sam Bee angrier than I did last night. You could tell she was barely holding it together.

Bee and Oliver had the best responses to this tragedy, just anger and disappointment knowing that it will happen again and again.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
Sam just going full on pissed off and raging against how loving stupid it is that this happens over and over again with no change in sight instead of the normal 'thoughts and prayers to the victims, we need to come together to solve this' talking points was rather refreshing.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Everybody should be watching this show.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Everybody should be watching this show.
Agreed. I can barely stand Last Week Tonight anymore now that this is running circles around it—Samantha Bee is actually, you know, funny.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I just like both shows, I don't think Oliver is any less funny but he's certainly got his format down pat.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

LWT suffers from the main segment being a boring slog if you already know about whatever lovely aspect of america it's about, since there's usually about 4 jokes spread over that 20 minutes and one of them is bound to be Janet in accounting not giving a gently caress.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Actually, this time Janis gave a gently caress

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I like Bee's show, but I think Oliver's is still better, and I don't really think it's close right now. Both are far ahead of Colbert or Noah, however.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I like both shows for different reasons. Bee's show has more jokes per capita and a strong feminist critique, but with Oliver's I feel like I'm getting a lot of deeper examination with a wide range of topics both domestic and international and the weird things he ends up creating are some great trolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

rujasu posted:

I like Bee's show, but I think Oliver's is still better, and I don't really think it's close right now. Both are far ahead of Colbert or Noah, however.

Colbert gets worse by the day, it's really sad.

• Locked thread