Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Quest For Glory II posted:

basically, the internet is great but its given us the forbidden fruit of knowledge of What Could Have Been. i played the SNES final fantasies and don't think I ever thought "now this dialogue seems wrong!!!"

For the most part I agree with you, but even when I was a kid I could recognize the terrible grammar in the FF2US translation. If FF5 ever came out that would've been even worse, if the PSX version was any indication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I remember when I was first trying out emulators and got a fan translated version of Tales of Phantasia for the snes and man that was pure garbage.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

raditts posted:

For the most part I agree with you, but even when I was a kid I could recognize the terrible grammar in the FF2US translation. If FF5 ever came out that would've been even worse, if the PSX version was any indication.

As I recall from an ancient Official Playstation magazine article, at one point the entire script of FFV was accidentally replaced with the translation office's emails for the past month or something like that.

I need to lookup that issue, a lot of stuff about the PS1 FFV makes sense after I remembered reading that.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Are there any goon-recommended youtube channels or podcasts about gaming in general? I'm basically looking for something to put in my secondary monitor while I work, something like TotalBiscuit (gaming news, a review or two, "quick looks"), but... well, without being TotalBiscuit.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Edmond Dantes posted:

Are there any goon-recommended youtube channels or podcasts about gaming in general? I'm basically looking for something to put in my secondary monitor while I work, something like TotalBiscuit (gaming news, a review or two, "quick looks"), but... well, without being TotalBiscuit.

I like the GiantBombcast and it's basically the only one I listen to consistently. That said, you have to enjoy the personalities because they can get off-topic pretty easily.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Try CensoredGaming.

What kind of content do you want? If it's just gameplay and commentary you could just dig into the LP subforum.

Podcasts sound like they fit the bill, try The Level on Duckfeed.tv for general gaming news and banter.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Golden Goat posted:

I remember when I was first trying out emulators and got a fan translated version of Tales of Phantasia for the snes and man that was pure garbage.

Was that the one where the two male characters were perving out about the female party members and said one of them "fucks like a tiger"?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

James and Mike Mondays

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

raditts posted:

Was that the one where the two male characters were perving out about the female party members and said one of them "fucks like a tiger"?

Yes though I think it was the female character saying that while sleeping. From now on whenever ToP is mentioned I think of that scene.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Stellar work from the minds of a fantranslation outfit stupid enough to call themselves DeJap.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Golden Goat posted:

Try CensoredGaming.

What kind of content do you want? If it's just gameplay and commentary you could just dig into the LP subforum.
I do check the LPs frequently to see if anything catches my attention, and I usually look for LPs of games I want to check out. I guess I'm looking for something a bit different, maybe something like SpoilerWarning's stuff where they comment on what works and doesn't work in a game, but less... shrill? I used to watch them but one of the guys (and the girl) can be loud as hell.
I really like ManyATrueNerd's lps where he does all the weird challenges.
I actually like some of TB's stuff, but it mostly depends on what he's playing, and his long stuff is mostly things I don't like (like heartstone).
Not making a lot of sense, am I? :v:

PantsBandit posted:

I like the GiantBombcast and it's basically the only one I listen to consistently. That said, you have to enjoy the personalities because they can get off-topic pretty easily.
Never did listen to their podcast; I usually just check the Quick Look videos. I'll give it a try.

In Training posted:

James and Mike Mondays
Is that the Angry Video Game Nerd dude? Seems like a more chill take on his usual stuff, sounds good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If a James and Mike video has a guest that's not Bootsy there's a pretty good chance you'll want to skip it. James is a pretty chill guy but man he knows some lovely people.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Golden Goat posted:

The official translation in the GBA port wasn't much better.

Kangaroo

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

The Kins posted:

Also I think this is the first time a leak/rumor has been confirmed by way of emojis.

https://twitter.com/CallofDuty/status/725434514315468800

And a poop emoji no less

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gently caress

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Edmond Dantes posted:

I do check the LPs frequently to see if anything catches my attention, and I usually look for LPs of games I want to check out. I guess I'm looking for something a bit different, maybe something like SpoilerWarning's stuff where they comment on what works and doesn't work in a game, but less... shrill? I used to watch them but one of the guys (and the girl) can be loud as hell.
I really like ManyATrueNerd's lps where he does all the weird challenges.
I actually like some of TB's stuff, but it mostly depends on what he's playing, and his long stuff is mostly things I don't like (like heartstone).
Not making a lot of sense, am I? :v:

Never did listen to their podcast; I usually just check the Quick Look videos. I'll give it a try.

Is that the Angry Video Game Nerd dude? Seems like a more chill take on his usual stuff, sounds good.

Adam Koebal does really good LPs of games where he'll talk at length about things he finds interesting in games, and game design, and things like that. He's got a really interesting playthrough of Wolfenstein: TNO cause his commentary about stuff in the game is really interesting. He is a twitch streamer so all his videos have facecam, he just uploads his stuff on to youtube. I liked his playthroughs of Life is Strange and Soma as well.

If you want something a bit different that's not really video games related, Adam Koebal is also the GM of two rollplay shows that are pretty perfect for podcasting. Rollplay Swan Song has 50 episodes of content, it's essentially streamed DND set in the Stars Without Number setting, though I think almost all of his worldbuilding stuff is original. The other one he did is Mirrorshades which is over now, it was 31 episodes and took place in the Shadowrun universe. I love them and Adam is just a really good GM who describes things in a way that it's almost like watching a movie or tv show. So give those a shot and see if you like them, you can find all of them on itmejp's channel.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Edmond Dantes posted:

I like Epic Name Bro; he does playthroughs of Souls games mostly, but he's also done a really awesome run of Muramasa and Dragon's Crown he just finished a no-death single-man run, which is great to see. He's got a nice southern drawl and tells cool stories about living in Japan. He's playing DS3 blind right now!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Macaluso posted:

Adam Koebal does really good LPs of games where he'll talk at length about things he finds interesting in games, and game design, and things like that. He's got a really interesting playthrough of Wolfenstein: TNO cause his commentary about stuff in the game is really interesting. He is a twitch streamer so all his videos have facecam, he just uploads his stuff on to youtube. I liked his playthroughs of Life is Strange and Soma as well.

If you want something a bit different that's not really video games related, Adam Koebal is also the GM of two rollplay shows that are pretty perfect for podcasting. Rollplay Swan Song has 50 episodes of content, it's essentially streamed DND set in the Stars Without Number setting, though I think almost all of his worldbuilding stuff is original. The other one he did is Mirrorshades which is over now, it was 31 episodes and took place in the Shadowrun universe. I love them and Adam is just a really good GM who describes things in a way that it's almost like watching a movie or tv show. So give those a shot and see if you like them, you can find all of them on itmejp's channel.
I'll add him to the list and check them out. The roleplay podcasts sound really good, I lost my roleplaying group to marriage, children and responsibilities so it'd be nice to scratch that itch. Roleplay vicariously through others! :black101:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I like Epic Name Bro; he does playthroughs of Souls games mostly, but he's also done a really awesome run of Muramasa and Dragon's Crown he just finished a no-death single-man run, which is great to see. He's got a nice southern drawl and tells cool stories about living in Japan. He's playing DS3 blind right now!
Ah, I'd forgotten about him; a friend of mine always recommends his DS videos but I always forget to check them. I'll wait until I finish DS3 before I check that one though. :v:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

Also I think this is the first time a leak/rumor has been confirmed by way of emojis.

https://twitter.com/CallofDuty/status/725434514315468800

Lol. What is this an alluding to?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Lol. What is this an alluding to?
The new COD is supposedly packing in a port/remaster of Modern Warfare as a pre-order bonus, or something along those lines.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope they release it separately because I would play MW again.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'll add him to the list and check them out. The roleplay podcasts sound really good, I lost my roleplaying group to marriage, children and responsibilities so it'd be nice to scratch that itch. Roleplay vicariously through others! :black101:

Ah, I'd forgotten about him; a friend of mine always recommends his DS videos but I always forget to check them. I'll wait until I finish DS3 before I check that one though. :v:

Watch his Muramasa playthrough, it's really great skill on display.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

The new COD is supposedly packing in a port/remaster of Modern Warfare as a pre-order bonus, or something along those lines.

Oh OK. I thought that had already been confirmed but I don't follow COD at all anymore.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

Classicgameroom
Hyperbithero (https://youtu.be/xkN9oru-qCQ)
Superbunnyhop (he's too much of a downer sometimes though)
Errant Signal (sometimes alright, sometimes up his rear end)
MechaGamezilla

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CrashCat posted:

There's a vicious cycle that I can imagine where in order to get paid well for your art you have to make what the market wants, and in turn if you want to hire art for your game, you want to choose artists who are good so you pick the successful ones, and then they shape the end product by making stuff similar to what they did before, which is what put food on their plate.

Since you actually are an artist, do you have any insight on whether this happens? It seems we often assume it's market-droids from the publisher or someone who barge in and demand bigger boobs or something, but I don't know if that is how it actually happens, and even if it does, that doesn't necessarily have to be the entire picture.
I dont work in games but I've had experiences I'd consider similar to how youve described, you get people who aren't the director or AD looking over your work and asking for changes. also sometimes its a matter of the top people not knowing what they want until they see it. i had a job where they told me over the phone that it would be like "a Bruce Timm cartoon" but when I actually worked on it it was just generic anime knockoff. There have been a couple of projects where the artists were locked in to specific character designs that were flat out ugly and just about all of the artists were super talented and could have easily redesigned them to make them much more visually appealing, but it wasn't up to us.

There are some artists that just like to draw one type of woman and that kind of Frank Cho style artist certainly gets plenty of work in all industries. Shane Glines used to run a site called the Drawing Board and the most popular forum was the "Girls" forum where animators would draw endless pinups of white barbie-proportioned ladies. Some of those (especially older) animators get real cranky when diversity shows up in animation. A lot of talk from "anonymous" animators was that Merida the protagonist of Brave was "too fat". These same animators would point to Looney Tunes as having some truth to them there stereotypes!! They've also harassed creators like Lauren Faust and Jessica Borutski for... well you can probably guess.

I'd say the main thing about games is.. artists can be great showrunners on TV, make great films, make great comics, but when we time travel back to the whole "games as art" nonsense conversation, just about everyone agrees that game design is a crucial part of the art, and not all great artists are great programmers or game designers. It's the one thing that separates games from other media. There's a reason why very pretty games can be absolutely terrible and games with "programmer art" can be wildly successful.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 28, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hmmmmm yes

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Star Fox Zero has the worst loving commercial.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

I want that theme

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Oh neat

Oh...

God drat it Square

Considering how many people have been saying they'd throw money at iOS Triple Triad game I don't think it's all that surprising. I'm more surprised it took them this long to do it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

FanaticalMilk posted:

Considering how many people have been saying they'd throw money at iOS Triple Triad game I don't think it's all that surprising. I'm more surprised it took them this long to do it.
A mobile Triple Triad game has been out for a good while now, as part of their "FF Portal" app. This is presumably something different.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Kins posted:

Legend has it this was to stop people from beating games within a single rental, because Nintendo of America had a pretty turgid hate-on for video stores renting out games at the time and were trying pretty much anything, up to and including trying to influence lawmakers to make game rentals illegal, to stop it.

Nintendo was such a scummy company back in the day. My favorite is probably the president of Nintendo of America throwing the entire industry under the bus during the Night Trap/Mortal Kombat hearings just so he could make Nintendo look better by comparison as a children's entertainment company.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Snak posted:

Star Fox Zero has the worst loving commercial.

The unofficial cartoon was surprisingly good. I'm glad was posted here a few pages ago.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

FirstAidKite posted:

You know what game was good? Stretchmo.

Old post but all the 'mo games are amazing, if a little repetitive by the end. Also I tend to get so into the puzzle-solving mindset when I play those games that I have to actually "cooldown" afterward for a few minutes to focus on something else. Same thing that happened back when I used to play super-speed tetris.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

Nintendo was such a scummy company back in the day. My favorite is probably the president of Nintendo of America throwing the entire industry under the bus during the Night Trap/Mortal Kombat hearings just so he could make Nintendo look better by comparison as a children's entertainment company.

Yamauchi only took up the company on the condition that all his relatives were kicked out.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Guy Mann posted:

God help you if you were a game store and you sold SMB3 for $59.00 instead of $59.99.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

a bunch of old people movie critics are saying the ratchet and clank movie is the worst poo poo ever

so that makes video game movies 0/2 on the year, with the angry birds movie on deck

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ostentatious posted:

a bunch of old people movie critics are saying the ratchet and clank movie is the worst poo poo ever

so that makes video game movies 0/2 on the year, with the angry birds movie on deck
That sucks because it actually had the potential to be good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ostentatious posted:

I saw the trailer for the first time before The Jungle Book and it looked really bad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At least the new game is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
isn't there a warcraft movie coming as well?

or did that already come out?

• Locked thread