Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

tooterfish posted:

People don't use SCBs when their shields are full though. They (generally) use them when they're already at risk of getting knocked offline, so in most cases all this weapon does is make fighting SCB users the same as fighting none SCB users. It's not like they can use it to instantly destroy your fully charged shields, unless you're into spamming the SCB button as soon as you come under fire.

There's also an opportunity cost involved in using it, since you're giving up other weapon upgrades for the chance of nullifying SCB use.

Stop getting in the way of our pitchforks with your reasonable discourse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

chaosapiant posted:

Clearly they saw the sardine cans on my ship stacked with 110 worker bees.

If I understand ED measurements correctly, that's 110 tons of slaves.

If you don't feel like Robigo I made a small but steady profit just shuffling hundreds of tons of imperial slaves around. Not as time efficient as the Robigo slave trade but the imperial slave trade is safe to just do at a relaxing pace if you feel like participating in a more sedate form of human suffering.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Conskill posted:

If I understand ED measurements correctly, that's 110 tons of slaves.

If you don't feel like Robigo I made a small but steady profit just shuffling hundreds of tons of imperial slaves around. Not as time efficient as the Robigo slave trade but the imperial slave trade is safe to just do at a relaxing pace if you feel like participating in a more sedate form of human suffering.

110 tons of slaves is still only 110 slaves if they're all Lesnick sized.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

IAmTheRad posted:

I bought a Federal Assault Ship.

It's not fully upgraded yet but it already tears apart other ships much more easily than the Vulture did.

I don't even have the military armor yet, the 6A power plant or 6A thrusters.
5A power plant and 6D thrusters :colbert:

The FAS is wonderful. What's your loadout? I'm partial to one C3 beam to strip shields (it can fire plenty long with a good distributor and a few pips), and three frag cannons to tear the hull apart. Unloading 9 frags into an unshielded FdL at close range is very satisfying. I can't wait for C3 multis; the FAS' maneuverability will be great for them.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

FrankieGoes posted:

110 tons of slaves is still only 110 slaves if they're all Lesnick sized.

I do kind of wonder when the SC thread will be opened back up.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Shine posted:

The FAS is wonderful. What's your loadout? I'm partial to one C3 beam to strip shields (it can fire plenty long with a good distributor and a few pips), and three frag cannons to tear the hull apart. Unloading 9 frags into an unshielded FdL at close range is very satisfying. I can't wait for C3 multis; the FAS' maneuverability will be great for them.

I am using Burst Gimbals on the large, and Cannons on the medium. I am bad at aiming. If I had more power I'd go with beams.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

IAmTheRad posted:

I am using Burst Gimbals on the large, and Cannons on the medium. I am bad at aiming. If I had more power I'd go with beams.
As long as you have the 6A distributor, you can fire a large gimballed beam forever with 4 pips to weapons.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

1500 posted:

I do kind of wonder when the SC thread will be opened back up.

Last I knew it was back to its own forum.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Dreadwroth posted:

Culty? Nah we're just a bunch of frogs, er people helpin each other. No cults here friend!

Wait, then what's with this studded leather strip outfit Kermit is making me wear? I was told this was standard issue. :confused:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So haven't played since right before CQC was live. Is it worth hopping back into or wait for Horizon 2.1?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sag A* just became a pretty mundane place.

“The presence of such high velocities in the molecular emission from IRAS 20100−4156 could be explained by a ~50 pc molecular ring enclosing an approximately 3.8 billion solar mass black hole.”

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

nippythefish posted:

Wait, then what's with this studded leather strip outfit Kermit is making me wear? I was told this was standard issue. :confused:

Uh I think that's between you and Kermit, I really don't wanna know.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Helter Skelter posted:

As long as you have the 6A distributor, you can fire a large gimballed beam forever with 4 pips to weapons.

One beam, three shotguns, dunks on everything in a RES/CZ :getin:

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Rectus posted:

One beam, three shotguns, dunks on everything in a RES/CZ :getin:
Until you run out of ammo. Then you just ram fools like an 800+ ton linebacker at 400m/sec until you get bored and wander off to repair/rearm. :black101:

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Tippis posted:

Sag A* just became a pretty mundane place.

“The presence of such high velocities in the molecular emission from IRAS 20100−4156 could be explained by a ~50 pc molecular ring enclosing an approximately 3.8 billion solar mass black hole.”

Sgr A* is actually on the medium-low end of supermassive black holes (4x10^6 solar masses) and the ingame representation is nearly ten times less mass than it is in real life.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sedisp posted:

So haven't played since right before CQC was live. Is it worth hopping back into or wait for Horizon 2.1?

I wouldn't wait - a lot of big stuff is going off before 2.1.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Yeah; for instance, you can pick up a mission to wait 40 minutes for NPC Bob Johnson to never show up, or you can participate in the breathtaking community storyline of waiting 55 minutes for NPC Steve Fakename to not show up

Nov 3, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Last I knew it was back to its own forum.

So it did, thanks, I almost missed nothing happening.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

tooterfish posted:

People don't use SCBs when their shields are full though. They (generally) use them when they're already at risk of getting knocked offline, so in most cases all this weapon does is make fighting SCB users the same as fighting none SCB users. It's not like they can use it to instantly destroy your fully charged shields, unless you're into spamming the SCB button as soon as you come under fire.

There's also an opportunity cost involved in using it, since you're giving up other weapon upgrades for the chance of nullifying SCB use.

The cutter can have roughly 2000MJ shielding and the ability to SCB back 1500. That 500MJ remainder represents more shielding than most of the other ships in game have total, and the railgun instapopping them would make that weapon's effective damage for that one shot 4x as high as the next highest weapon - the 4A Plasma Accelerator.

If you think this won't make big ships totally useless (e: for pvp) I don't know what to tell you vOv

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 28, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chrysophylax posted:

The cutter can have roughly 2000MJ shielding and the ability to SCB back 1500. That 500MJ remainder represents more shielding than most of the other ships in game have total, and the railgun instapopping them would make that weapon's effective damage for that one shot 4x as high as the next highest weapon - the 4A Plasma Accelerator.

If you don't think this won't make big ships totally useless I don't know what to tell you vOv

Well, weird non-sequitur nonwithstanding, at least we're in agreement about great ships not being in danger from this new, situational weapon system.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Yeah I totally mangled that sentence.

I'll reserve further judgement when we actually know how it works. I'm hoping there's at least the opportunity cost mentioned earlier, and that they won't work like the heal beams - beams that know what action to perform, instead of just performing either of the actions.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
For all you know that magic shield popping railgun imparts the wielder a staggering amount of heat and gobbles up double the normal power requirements too. :shrug:

No point stressing about it until the update pops.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Chrysophylax posted:

If you don't think this won't make big ships totally useless (e: for pvp) I don't know what to tell you vOv
Or you could just not use your SCB and you'll still have your "more shielding than most of the other ships have in game total", because no one's actually taking that away from you. Using SCBs becomes an actual decision, instead of a no brainer. Do you risk it or not.

Also, most small ships get an inherent damage penalty against large hulls by stint of not having large weapons. There's also a limit to the amount of pilots in an instance, meaning outnumbering larger ships with smaller ones isn't really a viable strategy. This weapon isn't making large ships totally useless for pvp, it's making small ships not totally useless for pvp.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 28, 2016

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Ultimately my problem is that I don't trust Frontier to introduce that sort of nuance.

E:

tooterfish posted:

Or you could just not use your SCB and you'll still have your "more shielding than most of the other ships have in game total", because no one's actually taking that away from you. Using SCBs becomes an actual decision, instead of a no brainer. Do you risk it or not.

Except once the shield goes down that ship is a sitting duck with very fragile and exposed internals. We tested hybrid or full armor builds on these and it simply doesn't work. You either bring the tank including the regen that SCBs bring or almost any other ship is a better choice. It's already iffy right now.

tooterfish posted:

Also, most small ships get an inherent damage penalty against large hulls by stint of not having large weapons. There's also a limit to the amount of pilots in an instance, meaning outnumbering larger ships with smaller ones isn't really a viable strategy. This weapon isn't making large ships totally useless for pvp, it's making small ships not totally useless for pvp.

That damage penalty doesn't apply to shields.

I guess what we're arguing about is whether we want to see fewer large ships in combat or more small ones. I'd rather have more choices rather than fewer.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 28, 2016

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Oh is the new mission system going in before 2.1?

Moosepickle
Nov 29, 2015

I was cured, all right!

tooterfish posted:

:allears:

That's a big gamble with a $30 40-million dollar plane rebuy lieutenant.

Moosepickle fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 28, 2016

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
So if I'm in a Vulture doing some Big Ship Killing I have to delicate one whole hardpoint to this SBC-busting weapon? That seems like Frontier is making this for a very specific set of circumstances. Kind of like torpedoes, I like running around as an Imp Eagle with torps but I don't do it alone.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

KakerMix posted:

So if I'm in a Vulture doing some Big Ship Killing I have to delicate one whole hardpoint to this SBC-busting weapon? That seems like Frontier is making this for a very specific set of circumstances. Kind of like torpedoes, I like running around as an Imp Eagle with torps but I don't do it alone.

These situational weapons will likely be best used in wings. You could have a dedicated support ship with the healing lasers and the SCB buster, for example.

At a glance, I think having the SCB buster do something like cancel the SCB, drain however many MJ it recharged, and put the SCB on a short cooldown would be more balanced, but we'll see how it works in practice.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Chrysophylax posted:

Ultimately my problem is that I don't trust Frontier to introduce that sort of nuance.
How about giving it a chance before declaring it the worst thing ever, because the current situation is hardly that nuanced either.

Worst case, the same "top tier" pvpers end up flying different flavour of mono build until the next change. So who gives a flying gently caress.

Chrysophylax posted:

That damage penalty doesn't apply to shields.
I know, I did say hulls.
I really wish people wouldn't do this, it makes them look like total cunts.

KakerMix posted:

Rails are small and medium only though.

Moosepickle
Nov 29, 2015

I was cured, all right!

Shine posted:

These situational weapons will likely be best used in wings. You could have a dedicated support ship with the healing lasers and the SCB buster, for example.

Yeah wing composition is important, and I think more viable with the new weapons. Getting picked off isn't so much a choice as it is being pounced when you gently caress up. but having strategies in wing fights will be very interesting I am excited.

But a lot of people get super scared to specialize. My IMHO hybrids serve their purpose but don't do any one thing well, which has it's disadvantages too.

tooterfish posted:

I really wish people wouldn't do this, it makes them look like total cunts.

I learned from the best!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Moosepickle posted:

I learned from the best!
You changed your post to include actual words.

It's the single allears thing that winds me up. It's smug as gently caress.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

tooterfish posted:

Nov 3, 2015

tooterfish posted:

Tikal
Nov 14, 2008

tooterfish posted:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Should've seen that coming...

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

tooterfish posted:

Should've seen that coming...

spaph
Dec 1, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
You gonna stand for this N4I?! They're making a mockery of you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Ok guys, I'm going to try the ASP next.

• Locked thread