Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
X2 for me and a great friend.

poo poo has been tight lately, but, gently caress it. I want to watch these two powerhouses beat each others brains in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Bought this for my phone (via its Kindle app) to read while working out, and splurged on an audio recording of it.

The book isn't a hard read, but the audio book for it was a bit more engaging than just reading it. I think it has to do with a documentary-like tone of the writing; I feel like I got a more honest/revelatory look at what happened to Apollo 13 than I got from Lovell's book, which I'm also reading.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Nashbar had 25% off cycling stuff yesterday, all I took the opportunity to pick up a truing stand for straightening my wheels:

A set of spoke wrenches:

And a new saddle:

:woop:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hell is a new saddle.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
No pictures but I got a really good deal on some Calvin Klein boxer briefs. 4 for $21, way cheaper than MeUndies and they have a fly!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

No pictures but I got a really good deal on some Calvin Klein boxer briefs. 4 for $21, way cheaper than MeUndies and they have a fly!

- Waiter, there's a fly in my Calvin Klein boxer briefs!
- Wash ur stinky butt you stinky-butt guy lol!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Jerry Cotton posted:

Hell is a new saddle.

Seat.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

So wrong

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I wonder if he got a new seatpost and seat clamp to go along with his... saddle.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Seat is a new saddle.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

I'm going to stab you.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Look, bikers are really sensitive about their hobby. God forbid you suggest that them wearing full spandex unitards might be a little unnecessary for a weekend ride around the park.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

naked is the new unitard

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The college kids around here ride fixed-gear bicycles.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

blarzgh posted:

Look, bikers are really sensitive about their hobby. God forbid you suggest that them wearing full spandex unitards might be a little unnecessary for a weekend ride around the park.

It's cyclists and skinsuits are for CX.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

blarzgh posted:

Please ride that lap around the park in sweaty jeans, and let me know how the chafing on your nads feels the next day.

Also god dammit I need a truing stand too. And a workstand/clamp.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

blarzgh posted:

I made some people mad in the bike thread when I mentioned I didn't want drop handlebars on a new bike.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
hard drugs

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

strangemusic posted:

Please ride that lap around the park in sweaty jeans, and let me know how the chafing on your nads feels the next day.

How about I do it in athletic shorts and a t-shirt? And I took all the reflectors off my bike because they were ugly. Also I bought my helmet at walmart

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

blarzgh posted:

If you ever want to experience full blown autism, from a hobby, call a "caver" a spelunker.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's easier than that, just correctly point out that nobody cares about vaping.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

How about I do it in athletic shorts and a t-shirt? And I took all the reflectors off my bike because they were ugly. Also I bought my helmet at walmart

You're good as long as the bike didn't also come from Wal-Mart.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 18:26 on Apr 28, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

strangemusic posted:

Meh, I've used the bike frame/forks for truing and it's more than good enough for the vast majority of work you'll need to do. Cheap too. ;)

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

jfc this is cool

where you get from?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

strangemusic posted:

I ride centuries in standard shorts with minimal chafing. :colbert:

(Imperial, mind you)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

donkey salami posted:

jfc this is cool

where you get from?

From the island of Doctor Moreau I assume

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

True fact: if you spend more than 100€ on a bicycle, it's literally the same as spending money on a Dick Butt trilby and also wearing it in public.

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008

taqueso posted:

naked is the new unitard

I converted to M8000 1x11 in November and it's da bomb.

PS: Everyone please donate me 600€ so I can convert to Di2

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Slimy Hog posted:

Check it out!

http://www.workingbikes.org/

If you click on "The Shop" in the upper right, you can read a little paragraph on how it works.

And yes, the prices are better because the bikes are used, but all the worn parts fixed/replaced.

That's awesome. My friend will be in Chicago in a few weeks so I'll ask her if she can check a few out for me. Thanks!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Ticket to attend this.

Also, the flight out to Las Vegas and hotel stay.
Burn money burn

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Saw these for sale at the gas station, grabbed the one on the left

Verdict: unimpressive

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

For my son's noggin. As he'll be squealing on his bike seat behind me, I figured I might as well make him look like an astromech droid.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

coke zero mit mayo posted:

I converted to M8000 1x11 in November and it's da bomb.

PS: Everyone please donate me 600€ so I can convert to Di2

I am running 1x10 now, this new drivetrain increases the range so I get a 'new gear' above and below my current range. And it covers the entirety of my old 2x9 setup. I'm excited to get my granny gear back, I'm out of shape right now.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

tribbledirigible posted:

For my son's noggin. As he'll be squealing on his bike seat behind me, I figured I might as well make him look like an astromech droid.

That is just absolutely :3:

Jerry Cotton posted:

Hell is a new saddle.

:getin:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
When I'm going more than ten miles on my fuji, I put sliding shorts on under gym shorts, and wear a t-shirt.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Had a month's travel/business holiday, so my bank account is flattened, but I just sprung for a pair of VIP tickets to see these two chaps*

and

'In Conversation' with each other on stage at the Hornsey Town Hall in June because Mark Hamill is a huge, unabashed Kinks' fanboy, and Ray Davies is awesome on general principles (Dave is the big Star Wars fanboy).

*Obviously looking a bit more rugged these days, but meh.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Kayaking season has started here...

+

+

+

+

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

ArmZ posted:

I'm going to stab you.

I know. I'm really just taking the piss. :v:

MisterBibs posted:

I made some people mad in the bike thread when I mentioned I didn't want drop handlebars on a new bike.

Wait.. how come?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Coredump posted:

I know. I'm really just taking the piss. :v:

Wait.. how come?

Because drop handlebars are stupid bullshit for idiots so of course goons love them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Coredump posted:

MisterBibs posted:

Wait.. how come?

Because goons are just trying to stop you from having to waste money buying a whole 'nother bike once you start riding more than a few miles and eventually decide that you really do want drops after all so as to shift your hands and posture around for comfort.

You can't just swap in drops without having to replace a bunch of other poo poo, so it's usually just more cost effective to buy a whole new bike and start over from scratch.

Catatron Prime has a new favorite as of 14:35 on Apr 29, 2016