Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Isn't the Pontiff a Corvian from the Painted World? That makes it make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

It would be cool to have enough time to replay dark souls 3 20 times to create all these characters.

...you want to make 100 PvP builds?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

even in DS2 you only ever fight vendrick in his hollowed form (which hits like a truck but is otherwise a pretty basic fight). I think it'd be cool if one of the DLCs is the actual invasion/war between drangleic and the giants that you only get to see a part of in the giant memories. since lothric is a land of transitory blah blah blah they could have part of drangleic "invade" and the part that invades is some part of the fofg and majula and castle drangleic and you fight vendrick at the height of his power when he had mastered souls and captured the throne of want.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Your Computer posted:

It's not that bad, yeah. You only really hit the limit if you want to experiment, but like I said I think that's a shame since a single failed build means 2 respecs (one to change it, one to revert it). It's still something you won't encounter much and it's a minor complaint for sure.

Which honestly makes Pontiff even crazier. Presumably space itself started to shift and conjure up places of ages past, Anor Londo either appearing near Irithyll or Irithyll being built around it. What does Mr. Pontiff do? Scour the place, find a god and proceed to imprison it for Aldrich to eat. Talk about making the most of a situation.

He also looted the gently caress out of the Profaned Capital for the Profaned Flame and anything else he could use, possibly including the giant slaves he utilizes and hands off to Aldrich.

He's also heavily involved in trying to secure Lothric Castle in general and the Consumed King's Garden in particular. Sully is one proactive son of a bitch.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tallgeese posted:

Isn't the Pontiff a Corvian from the Painted World? That makes it make sense.

Is there any lore to back this theory up? :stare:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

He also looted the gently caress out of the Profaned Capital for the Profaned Flame and anything else he could use, possibly including the giant slaves he utilizes and hands off to Aldrich.

He's also heavily involved in trying to secure Lothric Castle in general and the Consumed King's Garden in particular. Sully is one proactive son of a bitch.

Heck, I want a Boss Mode in DS3 if only so I could fight Pontiff over and over. Favorite fight in the Souls series by far, and such an interesting character.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

there are definitely dark souls 2 tweaks which were ported into dark souls 3: durability is trivial, continuous turning in the middle of an attack, pyromancy depending on both faith and int

they pretty much nailed it mechanically with dark souls 3, such that the biggest whines are about poise and respecs, the former of which will probably be patched at the latest by the time the DLC comes out, and the latter of which isn't even a problem, just beat the game or make a new character or look up a build online

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

game was easy till I decided i wanted to find the npc to respec, now i've lost 50k souls and died more times than I can count to the big knight dudes on the rafters of the cathedral of the deep :darksouls:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

outplayed

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

marxismftw posted:

game was easy till I decided i wanted to find the npc to respec, now i've lost 50k souls and died more times than I can count to the big knight dudes on the rafters of the cathedral of the deep :darksouls:

shoot them with arrows then run away till they fall off by themselves

watch out for the one who shoots back, but if you're patient this works on him too

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Aldrich down, in a mutual-kill battle. Which I am completely fine with, gently caress him.

...what the hell do I do now?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

SciFiDownBeat posted:

there are definitely dark souls 2 tweaks which were ported into dark souls 3: durability is trivial
wat?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

out everythinged

I was ready to fight him too, I got a few good taps in, but once he started estusing up I realized that his M.O. was dragging this poo poo out as long as he could and I don't do wars of attrition

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Your Computer posted:

Aren't his wings the same one those heretic dudes in Road of Sacrifice sprout or am I blind?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

Aren't his wings the same one those heretic dudes in Road of Sacrifice sprout or am I blind?

Youre extremely blind. Get your head out of the code and data and into the game my man.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Your Computer posted:

His wings don't really match a corvian's, his face is covered by an embroideredtree-chain-helmet white shroud, and I don't see any feathers.

His wings look like branches.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

My bad, I didn't look close enough!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tallgeese posted:

They look a lot more like the (lategame spoiler) Pilgrim Butterflies in the Dragonslayer Armor fight to me. :v:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Sooo anyone want to cheese covenant ranks? I'm tired of farming Sunlight Medals because hosts really like rolling right in to big wind up attacks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

His wings don't really match a corvian's, his face is covered by an embroideredtree-chain-helmet white shroud, and I don't see any feathers.

In fact, his wings look at lot like the wings on the "pilgrim butterflies" during the Dragonslayer Armor fight.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

They look a lot more like the (lategame spoiler) Pilgrim Butterflies in the Dragonslayer Armor fight to me. :v:

damnit beaten

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

I don't think he was a hacker or anything but I'm still trying to wrap my head around how he became that while at a low enough level to invade someone who is SL 56 with a +6 weapon.

no it's definitely a hacker bc one hand swinging FUGS also means you have to have 50 str

alongside 20 int, 10 faith

however much VIT and END to normal roll in full smough armor + FUGS and swing 6 times in a row

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

>you will never be a half tree sorcerer pope with an army of frost knights and two of the coolest swords in Souls history

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

i dont need two swords when i have two FISTS

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

il serpente cosmico posted:

The Dark Moon lady says that there aren't any dark moons left, though. She's just been chilling by herself, for a while.

true and the Anor Londo we visit in DS III is clearly from a later period than DS I. Since a couple of windows have been repaired and the giant smith has died and so on. But I at least interpret it as coming from the past rather than from another space.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Robo Reagan posted:

Sooo anyone want to cheese covenant ranks? I'm tired of farming Sunlight Medals because hosts really like rolling right in to big wind up attacks.

It is insanely weak to not be able to get 30 sunlight medals by the time you fidn the Sunlight Altar. Shame on you

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

durability works the same as it did in dark souls 2, as far as I can tell, except the durability meters are even higher. Plus they had the good sense to not include any durability-reducing enemies or traps. I've never ever ever had any weapon break in dark souls 3. So it seems to be a non-issue, which makes it baffling as to why they didn't just remove the mechanic entirely

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

turtlecrunch posted:

Yeah, I always figured it was some Dark poo poo. Much like how his blade states that "Its dark blue hues, deeper than the darkest moon, reflect sorcerer Sulyvahn's true nature.", I figured he was into the same stuff that's currently turning corpses into trees and birthing Butterflies.

Besides, the Corvians aren't from the painting. They want to go there, as the Storytellers tell tales of how it's a sanctuary for "wretched beings".
e: which is very :smith: and I kinda hope the DLC let's us get some more info on the Painted World and what became of it. Bad guys actually being tragic victims is very much my poo poo.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 28, 2016

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

net cafe scandal posted:

It is insanely weak to not be able to get 30 sunlight medals by the time you fidn the Sunlight Altar. Shame on you

I can't help that rear end in a top hat Gandalf wrecks people who don't know how to parry and nobody summons for Deacons. :v:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Harrow posted:

In fact, his wings look at lot like the wings on the "pilgrim butterflies" during the Dragonslayer Armor fight.

There sure is a lot of stuff turning into trees in this game:

+ High Wall Hollows
+ Sully
+ Pilgrim
+ Darkwraith
+ Those skeletons in the Undead Settlement crypt
+ Those guys in the chairs in Undead Settlement
+ Curse-rotted Greatwood is not turning into a tree but turning into a giant demon ballsac, but I include it here anyway

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, I always figured it was some Dark poo poo. Much like how his blade states that "Its dark blue hues, deeper than the darkest moon, reflect sorcerer Sulyvahn's true nature.", I figured he was into the same stuff that's currently turning corpses into trees and birthing Butterflies.

Besides, the Corvians aren't from the painting. They want to go there, as the Storytellers tell tales of how it's a sanctuary for "wretched beings".

To be fair, the Pontiff seems to be into everything. Because meddling with multiple things of which man was not meant to wot in the Soulsverse is a good plan.

Hey Turtlecrunch, look closer at the bubbles on the Greatwood after you pop them!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Speaking of, was I the only one disappointed you never got to fight one of those fuckers, or see more of them in general? I'd gone all of Upper Lothric Castle wondering what they were about and kinda feeling creeped out by them and figuring they were gonna be related to the final boss or something which would be at the very end of the place. Then they show up and are huge pains in the rear end on Dragonslayer Armor, and my thirst for revenge grew in parallel with my interest in them. And then they just...never show up again, except in the skybox? What the hell?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Robo Reagan posted:

I can't help that rear end in a top hat Gandalf wrecks people who don't know how to parry and nobody summons for Deacons. :v:

Drop the sign at Pontiff.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

SciFiDownBeat posted:

durability works the same as it did in dark souls 2, as far as I can tell, except the durability meters are even higher. Plus they had the good sense to not include any durability-reducing enemies or traps. I've never ever ever had any weapon break in dark souls 3. So it seems to be a non-issue, which makes it baffling as to why they didn't just remove the mechanic entirely

Maybe Miyazaki just hates it so much that he put it in the game specifically so he could ignore it. I'm fine with that, breaking weapons after 20 swings and keeping backup weapons to either weigh you down or force you to deal with menus while a monster was gnawing your leg was a poo poo mechanic that deserves to die painfully.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

turtlecrunch posted:

Wait a second, those wings look really similar to the things that help the dragonslayer armor

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Can you summon people for Nameless King? I am not seeing any signs :smith:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Well, maybe mechanically, but as a matter of practically, durability is as much of a concern as it was in DS1 - which is to say, it isn't a concern at all, and not by virtue of acid traps or the likes being absent from the game. I can full clear some of the larger zones with a Greatsword in DS3. Same for DS1. If I try to do the same in DS2 - even scholar of the first sin - the thing will near break half way through the zone.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

There sure is a lot of stuff turning into trees in this game:

+ High Wall Hollows
+ Sully
+ Pilgrim
+ Darkwraith
+ Those skeletons in the Undead Settlement crypt
+ Those guys in the chairs in Undead Settlement
+ Curse-rotted Greatwood is not turning into a tree but turning into a giant demon ballsac, but I include it here anyway

I believe Iudex has a tree arm, as well.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

So having more equip load is better than having less during roll recovery frames?

That's absurd.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

net cafe scandal posted:

I believe Iudex has a tree arm, as well.

The Darkwraiths look a little branch-y at bits on the armor too.

e: Oh that was already called out :(

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Harrow posted:

So what exactly is the association between the Dark/Deep and ... trees, anyway?

The deacons all have branches coming out of their robes. McDonnell has branches coming out of his eyes. The Pontiff has branches for wings. Even the darkwraith armor has some small twig branches on their armor and the hilt of the dark sword.

(Also, the branches thing is consistent across both the Dark and the Deep). Its a recurring theme but I have no idea what it actually represents.

Except for Aldrich I guess, who has no branches, only blobs.

e: fuckin' beaten, this thread moves fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Pontiff and the pilgrim butterflies don't really have the same kind of wings, with butterfly it looks more like an upside-down jellyfish or nerve endings, pontiff is more like an actual shrub or branch