Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Weapon art on the Moonlight Greatsword is actually pretty loving amazing for baiting out people who try to roll into you then you hit them for over 600.

It was the L2 attack on the Holy Moonlight Sword in Bloodborne and it owned super hard there, so I'm glad to hear it's still good. (Seriously, it's drat near the same particle effects and animation and everything.)

I do wish they'd kept the rest of the Holy Moonlight Sword's moveset, though. Look at this beautiful motherfucker of a weapon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7uZa0ZKkec&t=76s

Another thing I don't understand with the DS3 Moonlight Greatsword: why do the R2s consume durability and not FP? Did Fromsoft just have a rule that only weapon art L2s can consume FP and so the R2 waves had to consume durability? I don't get it. I guess it's maybe better if you keep a lot of Repair Powder around because it saves you Ash Estus.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
So i wanted to give invasions a try and so far it was fun.

Wanted to do some coenant stuff though, and have a few questions:
I joined aldritch, but my covenant status displays as "-"
Can you only join it if you havent killed aldritch?

Is there a special covenenant for dragon aerie?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Malek Deneith posted:

Watched a friend explore Untended Graves for the first time. Then I saw him approach the boss area... and immediatly pop two summon signs. For a boss he didn't even try once yet. My gods, I'm friends with a casul! (the game punished him for it though by bugging out the fog gate)

My friend who introduced me to the series now generally refuses to play unless I am co-oping with him. After he summons me and 2 other guys for a boss and we annihilatebang it, he keeps saying things like "Wow, that boss was pretty easy".

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

he wants your dick, dude

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Babe Magnet posted:

estoc is suuuuuper good because you can just spam r1 all day and there's nothing most NPCs and invaders can do about it

The dragon men love to parry you.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Babe Magnet posted:

he wants your dick, dude

Hmm, I'm seeing a message on the ground, it says:

"Grab with both hands."

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

Let's see...

+ Find it deep below the Nexus in water
+ It's a blob monster
+ TREE BRANCH MOTIF
+ Ate another guy who is trapped inside it
+ Wants to devour everything
+ Has periods of destructive wakefulness followed by long, sleepy digestions

Checks out! :vince:

Also, Aldrich is a play on Eldritch.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The only possible explanation for mask of the father not making it into either sequel is that the giantdad meme didn't penetrate info Japan enough

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

So i wanted to give invasions a try and so far it was fun.

Wanted to do some coenant stuff though, and have a few questions:
I joined aldritch, but my covenant status displays as "-"
Can you only join it if you havent killed aldritch?

Have you equipped the covenant item? You join covenants by equipping the item the covenant leader gives you in the slot to the right of your four ring slots.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Is there any convenient way to transfer stuff between characters? I see the Cheat Engine talk on the last couple pages; I'd do that but don't want to get banned. I beat this last week and kind want to level a different char (had sort of a "balanced"/STR primary first char, wanting to do a pyro/miracle guy now) but after playing an hour or two sort would like to just toss on a nice outfit and weapon and maybe power level up to 80 or so, rather than having to actually remember where to find all the stuff.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

cheetah7071 posted:

The only possible explanation for mask of the father not making it into either sequel is that the giantdad meme didn't penetrate info Japan enough

巨大なお父さん :qq:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

cheetah7071 posted:

This is the explanation. If you aren't Japanese, FROM isn't listening to you.

e:

Toady posted:

Also, Aldrich is a play on Eldritch.

His name in Japanese is just "Eldritch" so yeah.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 28, 2016

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Rashomon posted:

Is there any convenient way to transfer stuff between characters? I see the Cheat Engine talk on the last couple pages; I'd do that but don't want to get banned. I beat this last week and kind want to level a different char (had sort of a "balanced"/STR primary first char, wanting to do a pyro/miracle guy now) but after playing an hour or two sort would like to just toss on a nice outfit and weapon and maybe power level up to 80 or so, rather than having to actually remember where to find all the stuff.

Not quite, but it's better than it was in earlier games.

With password match making you can summon/be summoned by anyone, regardless of soul level or equipment level (now factored into match making)

So if you just coordinate with someone you can ping-pong items to another character off another person's character.

NOTE: You cannot exchange upgrade materials (including infusion stones, I think), and I believe this also applies to boss soul weapons.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

This is the explanation. If you aren't Japanese, FROM isn't listening to you.

So we should all set our regions to Japan, rebuy the game, and then estoc R1 spam the community until they give a poo poo about poise?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Just planned out an MLGS build. 16 Strength, 60 Intelligence, 24 Attunement for some spells.

Somehow, Knight is the most efficient class to start with, beating Sorcerer and Deprived by 3 levels.

Seriously, Knight is such a good start for drat near any build that isn't Luck or pure Strength. And it beats Warrior for pure Strength if you want to level Attunement at all for weapon skills.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
So, the consensus is that the latest round of patches did jack poo poo to fix the auto-summon covenants not working, right?

:sigh:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

then the rest of the world has failed at their duty

at least the b-team got us jester thomas and maldron shruggin like real motherfuckers i guess

edit:
never forget the classics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obkd0NeRWbg

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Kiggles posted:

So we should all set our regions to Japan, rebuy the game, and then estoc R1 spam the community until they give a poo poo about poise?

If you're on PC or the Bone you're already out of luck as far as being part of the True Dark Souls Community.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Rokstar posted:

So, the consensus is that the latest round of patches did jack poo poo to fix the auto-summon covenants not working, right?

:sigh:

They're solving the wrong problem. They increased the summoning ranges in regulation 1.06, which is great for those of us who can already be summoned. Now we can be summoned more! (Seriously, I'm happy about this, because somehow it works for me just fine.) But it isn't any help if you're just never getting summoned, because it doesn't matter what the summon range is if you can't be summoned in the first place.

Maybe it works fine in Japan and the only complaint was that not enough people were wearing Way of Blue or something?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Sylvain's beasts are annoying the bejesus out of me. Sometimes their side mouth swipe does SOME damage. Sometimes it one-hits. How random.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Is Aldrich supposed to have eaten Nito as well? I'm wondering if the oozy floor of the arena is supposed to be his main body and the part you're whacking at is an amalgamation of corpses.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

it's the Puzzling Stone Sword, but the stance heavy attack is the whip weapon art

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So what did the new patch do to improve magic?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Sylvain's beasts are annoying the bejesus out of me. Sometimes their side mouth swipe does SOME damage. Sometimes it one-hits. How random.

Assuming you mean the Crocodogs a lot of their attacks create hitboxes all over their body, sometimes damaging you and sometimes just stunning you. When they chomp, even their butt gets a hitbox for some reason.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Harrow posted:

Maybe it works fine in Japan and the only complaint was that not enough people were wearing Way of Blue or something?

Way of the blue should be default on when embered so to stop annoying invaders and so people can actually be summoned.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Feenix posted:

I think you only take half damage if you get hit by his body but not his actual jaw. The giants do a similar thing where their stomp barely hurts unless you get squarely by the foot.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Feenix posted:

Being hit by the body does damage but the teeth do more damage, also they have like 3 moves which look almost identical but do wildly different amounts of damage.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

From what it sounds like it improved it by making it much weaker, therefore greatly improving your satisfaction at your hard work at gitting gud with it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Way of the blue should be default on when embered so to stop annoying invaders and so people can actually be summoned.

I'm too sympathetic to invaders for that. Dickish invaders as a Souls tradition and should be embraced. Plus, I like dealing with invaders solo sometimes so I wouldn't always want a bluecop to show up when I got invaded solo.

It would be kinda cool if Way of Blue was a toggle independent of covenant, though. I don't know how they'd make it work aside from just having another covenant slot that you can only put Way of Blue in or something, but I think more people would wear it if it was "free." As it is now I almost never put on Way of Blue because I want to keep Blade of the Darkmoon on all the time.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

The Rokstar posted:

From what it sounds like it improved it by making it much weaker, therefore greatly improving your satisfaction at your hard work at gitting gud with it.

To be more specific, they nerfed chaos orb and pursuers and did literally nothing else.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I honestly wonder how many new people don't even realize Way of Blue is a thing you can get in this game. The only way to get it (prior to the endgame starting) is by talking to the banner lady an extra time, and if you don't know the #1 Souls game rule of "talk to everyone until their dialogue repeats always" it's easily missable.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The Rokstar posted:

I honestly wonder how many new people don't even realize Way of Blue is a thing you can get in this game. The only way to get it (prior to the endgame starting) is by talking to the banner lady an extra time, and if you don't know the #1 Souls game rule of "talk to everyone until their dialogue repeats always" it's easily missable.

There was no orange message in the tutorial area explaining that!

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Have you equipped the covenant item? You join covenants by equipping the item the covenant leader gives you in the slot to the right of your four ring slots.

Come to think of it, i dont think he gave me one...

Edit: Oh THAT slot, im an idiot.
Waiting for summons...

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 28, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Internet Kraken posted:

The only report I have read here is that GC Fireball and Affinity got nerfed, but I'm not sure if that's 1.05 or 1.06 or something, apparently they are doing 2 patches today

Fuligin posted:

Is Aldrich supposed to have eaten Nito as well? I'm wondering if the oozy floor of the arena is supposed to be his main body and the part you're whacking at is an amalgamation of corpses.

People say his theme includes elements of both Gwyndolin and Nito, I guess it's that heavy strum noise and the "huhh" noise in the background (I'm not a music person). To me it mostly sounds like a big pile of poo poo which I guess fits Aldrich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS6imkjmYcghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4cdfRrRWf4

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is the ArchDeacon's covenant any good (or any others?) or should I just stay SunBro?

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

My new favorite hobby is hiding in the Grand Archives and using these Seeds of a Giant Tree I've been hoarding and hiding. The combination of melee and magic NPCs in the area seems to just shred invaders to pieces.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Rokstar posted:

This is true for basically every RPG ever made, you always talk to NPCs until they repeat their dialogue :colbert:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Harrow posted:

Now I really want to do a Dex/Luck bleed build.

Start as a Warrior (somehow 5 entire levels better for this than a Thief?), 40 Dex, 40 Luck, 35 Vigor, 30 Endurance. Carthus Curved Sword, make it Hollow which apparently retains C Dex scaling, buff with Carthus Rouge, murder everyone.

Anyone know how much AR you end up with doing something like this? I did an Anri's sword build for a bit and it was fun but I'd like to try the bleed thing.

Also pro tip you only need 30 base luck if you +10 your main and offhand (caestus = bestest)

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

IronDoge posted:

My new favorite hobby is hiding in the Grand Archives and using these Seeds of a Giant Tree I've been hoarding and hiding. The combination of melee and magic NPCs in the area seems to just shred invaders to pieces.

I spent like 15-20 minutes hiding as a candle in the secret room with Power Within until I saw the "Invader ____ has returned home". It was very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want a Blue Eye Orb in this.

Like, you use it and you can invade people in your level range who have turned in 10 or more Pale Tongues or Human Dregs no matter where they are. Cross-area invasions and all that. Just collecting them or using Pale Tongues to respec wouldn't count, but turning them in for covenant rewards marks you as an "aggressor" and then you can get invaded by Darkmoons.

Darkmoons as protectors is cool and all, but I want to go hunt the hunters, too.